Community
Notices

Hello any one else over 40 here?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
FitDay Member

Question Hello any one else over 40 here?

I know its harder as we age...any one else struggling with the metabolism fighting again gains/losses ?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

I am 44 and struggling with metabolims issues and losing weight. I am trying to lose a total of 68 pounds and it has taken me one month just to lose 8 lbs., this is working our 3 times a week for 2 hours and a low calorie diet. It is hard, but I keep going on.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM
FitDay Member

Hey ladies, I'm 50 and yes, it is a real struggle to keep the metabolism going. I'm doing Atkins, taking Alli, Race walking 3.5 miles every day. Keep my calories under 1200. I know it sounds extreme but I find that after adjusting for a week I have more energy.
Also, and probably most important is to get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night.
If we don't start putting ourselves first now, it will never happen.

I've never been overly fat but I put on 30 lbs when I quit smoking 8 years ago. I just let them sit there till about 2 months ago. I was exausted, unhappy, and generally crabby with everyone. I realized the only way I was going to be happy was if I started taking care of me from the inside out. Not sure what was so different this time but I'm half way to my goal.

Started at 145
Now at 130
Goal is 115 where I spent most of my adult life and that was even after having 4 kids. Kids grew up, quit smoking and got lazy!!

I find that posting regularly on FD helps me stay focused. It's good to know you're not alone!!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
FitDay Member

If I confess to my real age, um yep I'm over 40, but only by a minute or two... I don't know that I'm struggling more with diet and exercise than I did before hitting 40. Seems to me it was never easy.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

hiyas ladies, nice to see some replies, it seems most boards I go to there arent to many our age that really care. :P I am 49 (for a couple more months anyway and my goal is to be a fabulous 50 I am currently at 140-144 goal is 120 but would love to be closer to 105-110 that was my weight up till about 10 yrs ago, babies at 40 and stopped smoking both good things but not when it comes to weight LOL.
Right now I list 3 days a week and do cardio 3 with one day of plyo....carb cycling for the diet..alternating hi and low days depending on the workouts.

would love to start a thread (or keep this one) for some chat and accountability. Any one else?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Celisa
hiyas ladies, nice to see some replies, it seems most boards I go to there arent to many our age that really care. :P I am 49 (for a couple more months anyway and my goal is to be a fabulous 50 I am currently at 140-144 goal is 120 but would love to be closer to 105-110 that was my weight up till about 10 yrs ago, babies at 40 and stopped smoking both good things but not when it comes to weight LOL.
Right now I list 3 days a week and do cardio 3 with one day of plyo....carb cycling for the diet..alternating hi and low days depending on the workouts.

would love to start a thread (or keep this one) for some chat and accountability. Any one else?
I would love to have someone to chat with and inspire me. I am 44 yrs old and have a hard time keeping focused and with three boys eating all the time it seems, it is hard to stay on track.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by zinal
I would love to have someone to chat with and inspire me. I am 44 yrs old and have a hard time keeping focused and with three boys eating all the time it seems, it is hard to stay on track.

Hi Z....i hear ya i have 2 grown boys and 2 still at home....the 2 still at home are 12 and 10, and let me tell ya the 12 yr old is packing it away this yr LOL. I have started cooking for myself on Sundays ( this week I grilled 7 chicken breasts) and while warming up mine I fix their meat (and DH's) we all eat the same veggies and for the sides If I make baked potatoes for example I make mine a sweet pot...same with Fries, theres are reg mine are sweet pot. I follow the "eat clean" principle by Tosca Reno. Its the desserts that get me, this week while they are eating "real" Ice cream I have been having a frozen protein shake smoothie...for now its working.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Celisa, I have 3 children and 2 extra that I watch full time. A while back I decided what was good for me was just as good for them, so we all get the same dinner most of the time. My kids are all girls, ages 8, 7 and 4, and two of them are a little prone to chubbiness. Anyway since I made that decision, our oldest has dropped 6 pounds, and lost 4" around her waist. She is not dieting, it's just from the little changes I've made to the general diet around here, and the increased activity that I promote everyday. She's also gotten 1 1/2" taller than she was when I started this in December, so I suppose that explains the waistline shrinkage. I just wanted to throw that out there for you, because making 2 separate dinners for me is just too much extra work and sooner or later I would just throw in the towel to save myself some work in the kitchen. Besides I want the kids to have healthy eating habits when they get older, because chances are they will end up like mom and dad and have to be conscience of calories and diet.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default 50 and struggling

hi

i turned 50 in february. i am trying to lose 17 lbs by my nephews wedding in september. so far i have lost 8 since july 1st. now i am just STUCKKKK and cant seem to lose any more. i jog 30 minutes daily on the treadmill, and lift weights daily. i truly beleive my metabolism is messed up because i am perimenopausal. i am trying to eat 1400 calories a day but perhaps this is too much?( i am following fitday guidelines for caloric count) any suggestions on how to get over this hump!!!?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Celisa, I have 3 children and 2 extra that I watch full time. A while back I decided what was good for me was just as good for them, so we all get the same dinner most of the time. My kids are all girls, ages 8, 7 and 4, and two of them are a little prone to chubbiness. Anyway since I made that decision, our oldest has dropped 6 pounds, and lost 4" around her waist. She is not dieting, it's just from the little changes I've made to the general diet around here, and the increased activity that I promote everyday. She's also gotten 1 1/2" taller than she was when I started this in December, so I suppose that explains the waistline shrinkage. I just wanted to throw that out there for you, because making 2 separate dinners for me is just too much extra work and sooner or later I would just throw in the towel to save myself some work in the kitchen. Besides I want the kids to have healthy eating habits when they get older, because chances are they will end up like mom and dad and have to be conscience of calories and diet.

I hear ya we all eat healthy I just chose to eat healthier.. and its not really cooking 2 meals, my meats are already cooked. I am not depriving my kids of the occasional ice cream and cookie or whatever just because I have a weight problem. They are healthy active growing boys. :P My 12 yr old even started workingout with me this month...LOL he want bi's and abs...must be gonna try for the girls...*chuckle*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.