Notices

Starting Again

Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Starting Again

Hi, everyone. I’m new to this board, but not to the dieting game. I’ve been on this ride before, so I know what I need to do, I just have to do it. I’ve been from one extreme to the other; high of 190, low of 125. I’m ready to find that comfortable middle ground. I just really want to be healthy, feel good, have energy and not be ashamed to wear shorts or a bathing suit… I live on the beach for Pete’s sake.

Anyway, I’m 41, 5’6” and 180 pounds right now. I am definitely ready for that FINAL change. I felt so good when I was at a healthy weight, I don’t know how I let myself get back to this point. Well, that’s not entirely true. Life happened. Food is comforting and you don’t exactly feel like going to the gym when your father-in-law is dying, or your mother’s having quadruple bypass surgery or your son is about to join the Marines. Everyone goes through these things- that’s life. I have to learn to let life happen, yet still remember to take care of me.

So that’s where I am and why I’m here. I know what a great tool a supportive community can be, and I’m really excited to get to know everyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! Jump right into a group of accountability partners. There are groups for various weight-loss goals. Of course, I peek into several threads to get tips wherever I can find them.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by FutureFijian
Hi, everyone. I’m new to this board, but not to the dieting game. I’ve been on this ride before, so I know what I need to do, I just have to do it. I’ve been from one extreme to the other; high of 190, low of 125. I’m ready to find that comfortable middle ground. I just really want to be healthy, feel good, have energy and not be ashamed to wear shorts or a bathing suit… I live on the beach for Pete’s sake.

Anyway, I’m 41, 5’6” and 180 pounds right now. I am definitely ready for that FINAL change. I felt so good when I was at a healthy weight, I don’t know how I let myself get back to this point. Well, that’s not entirely true. Life happened. Food is comforting and you don’t exactly feel like going to the gym when your father-in-law is dying, or your mother’s having quadruple bypass surgery or your son is about to join the Marines. Everyone goes through these things- that’s life. I have to learn to let life happen, yet still remember to take care of me.

So that’s where I am and why I’m here. I know what a great tool a supportive community can be, and I’m really excited to get to know everyone.
Welcome. It's great to have folks on this list for inspiration and support. We're in about the same category height and weight. I'm several years older than you but I live close to a beach, too, so there's no excuse not to get moving. I've been hovering almost at that 190 mark for almost a year now. So, decided I'd better get serious. In almost four weeks I am down three pounds so far. But like many folks on this list I've been on the diet roller coaster a few times. One thing I have learned is that a lot of changing your body has to do with changing your perception as well as losing actual pounds and inches. I do remember in my early 20s being 118 pounds with 34-23-35 measurements but thinking I was fat. I don't expect to, nor do I want to, get down that far, but I do want to be sure that as I take this journey I stay on a healthy path.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Hey honey, I'm 41 too, and spent most of my 30's either pregnant or breastfeeding, so I know all there is to know about letting yourself go.... Christmas Day '09 I made a commitment to spend a little time every day and a little bit of money once a week on me. And I have no regrets about that. I feel better and look better than I have in YEARS. And a healthy mom makes for a healthy family, so that "me" time for my workout doesn't take a thing away from my children.