Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies >

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 AM
FitDay Member

Elisabeth, nice to meet another tall person. My goal is so low because I have an endomorphic body, which is lean and not really muscular but not fatty. I tend to look, just toned all the time, even now. My bones are really small. My former SIL was about your size and unless you know weights, I would venture to say that because of your height, no one would suspect you weigh that much, especially if you are muscular. I am totally straight up and down when I weigh that much. I have to weigh the equivalent of 165 to get the proper waist to hip ratio. I'm jealous. I would love to be able to weigh more. My sis has maintained about 190 since forever and she has a wonderful shape--cook bottle. Her waist is the same size as mine was at my used to be size. She's 5'10." My brother was my height. Our father was 6'6" and mom was 5'6." She used to say for her time, she was considered tall. I can remember her telling me this when we were in the bathroom together one day and I was about 13 and I patted her on the head. She couldn't decide whether to get ticked or crack a smile so her face in the mirror, kind of just wrinkled up. It was comical to see her so confused. For me, it was a little rough being this tall and the second youngest in the 8th grade. Back then they used to weigh you yearly in front of everybody and no matter what my numbers were, I was embarrassed because the other girls weighed a hundred or maybe ten more. I got teased a lot and was the tallest in the grammar school that I went to. That included teachers and staff. It really sucked. When I went to high school, there were exactly three of us that were tall in a population of about 800.

I would suggest that you weigh-in more than once a month because if you need to take corrective action on the amount of food you are eating and have gained, you will have missed the opportunities that you would have had by weighing in weekly.

Fit, thank you so much. We come from a service oriented family. My brother retired from the navy and my sis was a teacher and a social worker before she reitired. Dad used to pick up used tires and resell them to recappers, which people probably don't know what recaps are nowadays. Anyway, he would find tires with good tread and if someone asked Jim if he had a tire, he would give them away. He could have had a second business, but that was just his heart. I said all this to say that I have always wanted to serve. Before I went in the army, my aspiration was to be a public defender or in the private sector and do a lot of pro bono work. I have five overseas kids that I support along with their families. I believe in strong families, communities and our country.

Skinny, have you ever heard of dry brushing your skin. I only came across it accidentally but it is supposed to help with that and I am going to start doing it when my addition is finished and it is not so cramped when I shower. It's a fifteen minute process and you brush your whole body. Oh, I know, I was looking up body cleansing and came across it, but I had seen it before and wondered what it was when I read an article about loose skin. Anyway, do a search on it. Your skin sweats toxins and it loosens those up and it brings more blood to the skin thereby improving circulation and some of the weightloss problem of hanging skin.

Hey Pixie, it is so wonderful to have you and wow--9 pounds; that is so great. I have given up soda too and I was a diet drinker, just like you. I tried to give up Splenda altogether but I just have to have it for my coffee, which I don't think I will ever give up. Believe it or not, it is supposed to be benefitial against colon cancer and it ran rampid in my family.

You will like it here and don't worry, I think we all lurked for awhile. Some of my posts I have afterthoughts about because I know that they probably will be seen by someone who is not yet one of us. Heck, I may be chasing them away, lol. By the way, Skinny, I love your way of laughing. It cracks me up everytime. You could just write that and I would be rolling.

I know it is awfully hard being a single parent. I have been one twice after divorces. The first time, I held off buying a car for six months because of money. The kids hated walking to the commisary; we were in Germany. We had to go frequently because we could only carry so much. I could have taken a taxi, but who could afford that. I finally got promoted and my dad sold the other car that I was still making payments on and I was able to get it. My point is that I have been there and can empathize. My daughter used to call all meat chicken when she was little. It wasn't because I liked it so much, it was cheaper than other meats. On the few times we would have other meats, she would say, "What kind of chicken is this?"

Try to remember before you hit the "post" button to copy it first. This site can be quirky and the posts can go to Neverland and it can really tick you off.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Ladies,

i've realy enjoy reading the posts- they make me want to keep going.

I too am very tall 6"2 and have always been on the heavier side- my goal is to get down to 190, which would be great!!

I am on about 1300-1500 calorie diet- working out 3/week. any suggestions for a CHEAP and HEALTHY dinner?

over and out,
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
Hello Ladies,

i've realy enjoy reading the posts- they make me want to keep going.

I too am very tall 6"2 and have always been on the heavier side- my goal is to get down to 190, which would be great!!

I am on about 1300-1500 calorie diet- working out 3/week. any suggestions for a CHEAP and HEALTHY dinner?

over and out,
Welcome to the thread!!! Goodness me, there are getting to be a lot of tall girls on this thread! Y'all are starting to make me feel like an elf!

For me it doesn't get much cheaper than tuna packed in water, $.59/can loaded with nutrients and 42.6 grams of protein! I also eat a lot of salad, different ways but lots of it, especially cheap this time of year when you can grow some of the ingredients yourself. Eggs can be cheap too, so I load up when they get around $1/dozen, omelets, scramblewiches, skillets, deviled, poached or made into egg salad, yummmm. I stock up on chicken breasts (frozen, boneless, skinless) when they get to less than $2/lb, and I would think nothing of buying 4-10 huge bags at a time - it'll last a year in the freezer. Farmer's markets can also be good places to find cheap food, especially if you buy in bulk - so take one of your fellow dieters along and dicker/deal together. Geez, now I'm hungry.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Kaitlin. Great to have you. Yes, I have been posting for about three or so weeks and I thought I would have petered out by now, but I feel devoted to these women and I feel that somehow if I quit posting or dieting, I would let them down. You ladies had better watch out, we taller ladies are taking over, heh, heh. When you feel comfortable, tell us more about yourself, like how old you are, kids, if any that you have, hobbies, etc.

As for dinners, I try to stay away from most processed foods and I actually find if you stick to the portion sizes that buying healthy food is cheaper than foods that are not. They are more filling with the fiber and more nutritious. As for recipes, I am bad at those because I cook out of my head and sometimes there is a hit and others not. One time when my kids were little, I had a great idea to put a bunch and I do mean a bunch of cheddar cheese in the middle of a meatloaf. Let me tell you more is not always better. They had all gone out after dinner and the house just seemed too, too quiet. I had Bud, a Bernise Mtn Dog, at the time and I went in the kitchen and there he was standing on two legs, just eating the meatloaf. He is lucky he didn't get bloat or something. Of course he looked like he had been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

But what I do is try to make foods that I like but just in a healthy way. I found a quick recipe for Jaeger Schnitzel--3 oz, of course---on recipezaar.com, which has almost five hundred million recipes that are "nutrionalized" for calories and such. Anyway, it called for coating the pork in dry mashed potato flakes. A cup of cornmeal or flour is 400 cals. and a cup of potato flakes is 240 cals. It tasted good, but it wasn't quite like they type that I liked in Germany which had brown gravy. It immulated the white gravy kind because a can of low fat mushroom cream soup was used. So, anyway, you might want to peruse that, Kaitlin, for ideas.

That's right Almeeker, tall girls rule!

Well, my walls are going up now. You ladies don't know but it took two years to get this addition off the ground through the VA and I originally had a bum contractor, that yes, I checked out and he had done work for me before, but in these times, he went out of business with my design money. I am suing him now and I forgot to call my lawyer today. But it will seem weird to finally have it done. Actually, I had the addition that was there torn down because it wasn't done to specs and am having a larger one put up.

It's hot here for us today at 77 degrees. This is the first sunny day we have had in ages. The contractors are still working and it is evening.

Last edited by Jaybrodz; 06-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
FitDay Member

Gees - you stay away from this thread for 24 hours and look at everything I've missed! Welcome Elisabeth, Pixie, and Kaitlyn, plus all the new girls we gained at the beginning of the week! For all the newbies - a little about me - I am 28, married with a 17 month-old, 5'8" (since height seems to be an issue around here these days , and I have been through a rough two years of pregnancy and job loss that caused a weight gain of about 50 pounds, plus I was about 30 pounds overweight before all that. These girls have been a fabulous source of support and daily therapy!

I healed up just fine already from my stupid fall. I wasn't able to workout again today like planned because it was storming out this morning and tonight when I thought I might get a make-up in from missing this morning. So I'll try again tomorrow morning. I also didn't eat the greatest today because we had a work lunch. I ordered a spinach salad, which was great and sounded healthy but it also came with bacon, hard boiled egg, and grilled pita that I didn't know about. And of course I couldn't really pick the bacon and egg off, and being the carboholic I am, you know the pita got eaten. So I'm trying to redeem myself tonight with a very small dinner so I don't screw up my weigh in day tomorrow too badly!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome to everyone who is new....always glad to see fresh faces around here. Its been day 3 being POP (perfectly on plan) for me...did not walk today though I really wrenched my shoulder last night..forgot about the injury and lifted my arm over my shoulder..oh god that hurt so much..its very tender today.
Cheap easy healthy meal....my favourite has become crackslaw...what is it you say?? haha...everyone asks..
take one bag of coleslaw mix (ususually on sale for under a buck)
one pound of ground chicken or beef or turkey
little oil
light soya sauce
garlic-fresh
red pepper flakes
ginger-fresh
onions, peppers,,mushrooms..whatever you have hanging around your fridge and looking a little wimpy
Heat oil,,,cook meat,,,add garllic and ginger, soya sauce and pepper flakes
cook till done...then add your veggies along with the coleslaw mix.
Heat thru till veggies are tender.
You wont belive how good this is..tastes like a chinese take out meal.
The original recipe calls for sesame oil..and I have it in my fridge but last time I made it I didnt want to add more oil to my dish so left it out..it was still yummy
More cheap healthy meals are chili, soup anything with beans, dont forget
to shop seasonal...this time of year strawberries are cheap and plentiful! So is asparagus... and cherries have come wayyy down in price. When I find a cheap meat I will buy a bunch and stock up as well...always looking for those two for one deals.
have fun experimenting...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Welcome to the thread!!! Goodness me, there are getting to be a lot of tall girls on this thread! Y'all are starting to make me feel like an elf!
Don't despair, I was 5'7", but my weight made me lose 2 whole inches... poopy.

Ways I save $$$ on food - YUM!
I buy eggs by the 5 dozen. I eat almost all of them. I boil 18 at a time (that way the kids still have some if they want), and oput them in an old 18 egg carton that I wrote "BOILED" on. I peel 2 before work, put them in a plastic baggie with a lil salt and pepper - and VOILA! Instant protein. Oh, and I bring back the baggie, wash and re-use the same ones for a whole month. I buy new ones around the 1st. Do the math: 5 dozen eggs at Walmart - $7 on sale. 60 eggs/2 eggs a day = 30 days.... so, um.. yea.
I buy veggies about every other day - I've noticed that Sam's or Costco have AMAZING prices on large quantities. I cut up 2 tomatoes, a cuke and put it in a rubbermaid container with 1 tbs generic olive oil and 2 tbs white vinegar. I get the big thing of olive oil (forget EVOO, can't afford it) and it lasts me about... 2 months or so. DON'T BUY VEGGIES YOU WON'T EAT! I threw so many rotten veggies away because I got over zealous at the damned market and thought I was friggin' Julia Child. Veggie staples over here: tomatos, cukes, onions, broccoli, lettuce... others may come when the mood hits me.. like bell peppers, spinach, acorn squash and asparagus... but we ALWAYS run out of veggies before they spoil.
I buy reduced fat string cheese in bulk - take 2 everyday to work.
I buy turkey salami in the pound size. I take 10 slices with me everyday - 1 package is about $6, but lasts about a week... SO it's much cheaper than a drive thru.
I have 2 of the 50.7 SmartWater bottles I got in MARCH. I fill them each 2x everyday with my Alhambra water (15 gallons delivered every other week) and 2 packets of GENERIC, Walmart brand Crystal Light (about $3/week). It costs me about $25/month...with the cooler rental fee. I save the environment and I have yummy water (I'm a water snob, but it comes from living in neighborhoods with crap water AND living in houses with clogged plumbing... I SAW what my drinking water was flowing through when we re-plumbed our house). It's better than getting a water bottle every time I stopped at the gas station and then NEVER really drank it. Better for my wallet and the planet.
Dinner - easiest way to save? Cut out carbs, or reduce them heavily. Also cut out most sauces. You don't really need them (Alfredo, Hollandaise, Butter, etc.) and they are all SOOO fattening. Tomato sauce is ok, if you watch the sugar. Also, watch the portions. Dinner *should* be your smallest meal in theory. For example tonight I ate 5 ounces of fajita meat, 2 oz of shredded cheese, 1/4 onion and a sliced tomato. That was it, because my body has reached it's nutritional requirements for the day.

Anywhoo - without eating out (as much), without going "snackie" shopping every other day (chips, pudding, candy, popcorn, jello), without stopping and getting dessert every night... not buying pasta, rice, tortillas and bread in huge amounts... my shopping bill has gone down. It also helps that we don't allow ourselves to eat all day anymore.
For my family of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids) our groceries run us about... $600-$700 a month. And that's some good eating!

Oh, I would also point out one way that weight loss (notice I didn't say dieting?) has saved me money: CLOTHES! I used to HAVE to shop at a Plus Size store like Lane Bryant or Avenue. A FRIGGIN' T-SHIRT would cost me $24.99, and that was a plain old nothing shirt. My JEANS cost me between $50-100 EACH. Now, I can shop at Walmart, Target and even thrift stores and a t-shirt costs me MAXIMUM of $10, $5 if it's a seasonal item like my Mother's Day shirt. Jeans? $12.99, or $0.50 at the thrift store. I am a clothes FREAK with credit cards at several plus size stores, so I am pretty picky, and I can always find something cute, comfy or professional.

Last edited by SkinnyErinn; 06-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM
FitDay Member

One last thing, before this soap box breaks and takes me tumbling down with it - These women are amazing, they are my daily source for inspiration, motivation and encouragment. I can honestly tell you two things:
1. There have been several times when I thought that what I needed to discuss wasn't going to be received well (sex, money, relationships, bodily functions, getting busted being freaky by kids...) and I was always supported. ALWAYS. Don't be fearful, weight loss is a physical, psychological, spiritual and emotional journey and these women GET IT.

2. When I forget #1, and I stay away for a few days.... I ALWAYS LOSE MOTIVATION OR EVEN STRAY OFF COURSE! I don't think it's a coincidence.

Good luck ladies, the box is crumbling and I need to go to the gym.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Pixie5477
Good Morning,

I have been on fitday since June 3. I have been trying to keep up on the forum but didn't think I would ever write anything myself. Howevever, I have grown to admire your friendships and the way you encourage eachother and I would like to be part of it.

To introduce myself a little bit, I am a 40 year old single mother of two. Most of my weight is due to the stress of single-parenting and not taking care of myself. As of June 3rd, I am a new person. I have lost 9 pounds and walk every single day and I am eating much healthier.

I also gave up pop 11 days ago. I wasn't expecting to give it up so quickly, but my finances ran low and I couldn't afford my beloved Diet Pepsi. Now I am off for good. And the best part is I never got the withdrawl headaches. Unbelievable! However, I am completely exhausted to my core every single day. I'm not sure if it the lack of caffeine, the heavy increase in exercise or a mixture of both.

Anyway, I hope to get to know you all and encourage eachother through this wonderful journey.

Pixie
I like you already! Welcomes.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
That's right Almeeker, tall girls rule!
Did I say "tall girls rule"? Oh no I did not, I said there were getting to be a lot of you on this thread. Besides jay, when you take off you're legs I'd bet we're eye to eye. That's right sister, eye to eye and I mean to tell you I'm meaner than I look and fight dirty!

Oh crap, I gotta go the kids are up and I need to get that workout done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.