Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pattialbert
Ok ladies ...some of us are struggling with staying on plan on weekends so how about this weekend we have a little challenge (with ourselves) to stay on the straight and narrow! I will start a new thread for it...we can post what we ate,,,or how much we exercised...or even if we strayed and why...maybe this will keep us on track. Anyone up for it??

Nice NSV (non scale victories) this week you guys!!!! Baggie pants and smaller hugs are great incentives!
SO SUPER IN OVER HERE! Maybe we can all just report here, I have trouble focusing on more than one forum, I get too distracted! LOLOLOL.
Heading off to bed everyone after a half-assed attempt to work out, but at least I was working it...gotta get my game face on for WEIGH IN DAY - Blech. Good luck tomorrow, I *know* you can stick to your journeys. You got this.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Patti - I'm in for the weekend challenge too! Good idea!

Almeeker - Your story about the granola points to the reason behind the problem of childhood obesity - the parents! Kids don't go grcoery shopping by themselves, they will eat what's in the house. If you supply them with the options and the teaching, they will learn!

SkinnyErinn - Just so you're not wondering "who the heck is this?", I am "following" your blog, so if you see someone named Emily show up, that's me! I also have a blog on blogspot.

I had a breakdown yesterday. My son has been really sick these last 2 days. 104-degree fever and all that. I had to take him to immediate care Tuesday night and spent 3 hours there while they did tests and chest x-ray. Then yesterday his fever was still high and back to the doc to find out it was an ear infection. So I've been sleepless, stressed out, and very worried, but I was still eating ok. Then I went into the drugstore to get his prescription and walked out with a bag of Bridge Mix (my favorite chocolate candy splurge) without even realizing it. I got in the car and stuffed half the bag (there's 5 servings in it) before I even knew what I was doing. I somehow snapped out of it and I was so mad at myself that I dumped the rest of the bag out of the window of the car! And the thing about the frantic stress eating that sucks the most - I didn't even enjoy it! I was just mindlessly shoveling food! My emotions rule my eating, and the last 20-30 pounds I have gained have come from stress and exhaustion. So I compensated yesterday by eating a very small dinner and I'll keep calories low today to make up for the extra 600-800 cals I ate yesterday. Grrrr!

Last edited by egmdobbs; 05-13-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Morning ladies..
oh I remember camping with the Brownies (similiar to girl scouts but younger) went every year with my girls..so much fun and memories Almeeker!! Have fun~ we used to make sure there was always fruit available for anyone who didnt like what we were making for meals..hopefully the menu wont be too bad,,,I would hope whoever planned the menu would consider nutrition?? for the girls. We would try to plan healthy treats for snacks such as hikers apples..take an apple and core it,,,fill with peanut butter and add a few chocolate chips on top. My youngest still loves that treat. Another was to take an ice cream cone,,(just the cone) and put some yogurt inside and top it with fresh fruits,,and good old popcorn with some hot chocolate. Ok now I want to go camping..lol love camping.

Erinn I hear you about getting caught up in posts...I belong to a couple of weight loss boards and sometimes it overwhelming to keep up with everything. I will post the challange on a separate thread..but please please please dont think you have to post on it...go right ahead and put your goals and success on here for the weekend! No one needs more stress.... I was thinking if we kept it separate maybe more can join us that dont belong to this thread...?? hope you dont mind.

Having a good exercise week here...and the scale is coming down again and the cravings are going away...now to keep it up for the weekend!!!
have a good one everyone!!!

EGM Im so glad your son is better!! Bridge mixture..omg...those things are evil...............I will not think about bridge mixture..I will not think about bridge mixture...I will not think about bridge mixture...ok its not working..Im going to eat some yogurt. hah

Last edited by pattialbert; 05-13-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Morning ladies..
oh I remember camping with the Brownies (similiar to girl scouts but younger) went every year with my girls..so much fun and memories Almeeker!! Have fun~ we used to make sure there was always fruit available for anyone who didnt like what we were making for meals..hopefully the menu wont be too bad,,,I would hope whoever planned the menu would consider nutrition?? for the girls. We would try to plan healthy treats for snacks such as hikers apples..take an apple and core it,,,fill with peanut butter and add a few chocolate chips on top. My youngest still loves that treat. Another was to take an ice cream cone,,(just the cone) and put some yogurt inside and top it with fresh fruits,,and good old popcorn with some hot chocolate. Ok now I want to go camping..lol love camping.
I typed it wrong, it is Brownies, not Girl Scouts. I have a feeling that the food will be horrendously unhealthy, so far every scouting event has been absolutely mountain deep in junk food. So great idea about the fruit, and I'll take my jug of granola bars too. I have a ton of popcorn too, so into the box that goes as well. I might make up a big batch of trail mix too.

The funny part is that the Brownie leaders I know are all queen sized, dieting and make noise about wanting to get healthy, but you would never know it by the food at these events. Argh!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I typed it wrong, it is Brownies, not Girl Scouts. I have a feeling that the food will be horrendously unhealthy, so far every scouting event has been absolutely mountain deep in junk food. So great idea about the fruit, and I'll take my jug of granola bars too. I have a ton of popcorn too, so into the box that goes as well. I might make up a big batch of trail mix too.

The funny part is that the Brownie leaders I know are all queen sized, dieting and make noise about wanting to get healthy, but you would never know it by the food at these events. Argh!!!
We did the same thing with the hikers apples, but used raisins instead of chocoloate chips... just a thought. Maybe if you lead by example they will start to make their events more health-conscious? Good luck, and even if you do splurge a little - there is a lot of calories to be burned off on those trails! Have fun!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker - I have to laugh about your Girl Scouting experience. I am actually a Girl Scout employee (and Brownies are a Girl Scout level, BTW - it's daisies, brownies, juniors, cadettes, seniors, and ambassadors! I think it's funny that you say all the leaders are queen-sized - all of the staff members I work with in an office of 25 are all overweight. Some more than others, and probably 5-7 are morbidly obese. I have only worked there for 3 months, but I can see why they're all unhealthy - we ALWAYS have a package of Girl Scout cookies open, we have a potluck every other week, everyone eats big lunches (usually fast food) together, and almost every event revolves around food. I think once I've been there a little longer I will try to institute some healthy practices. I think there are 1 or 2 other people there that might join me. And what's even funnier is that the Girl Scout programming has an emphasis on making healthy choices and self-esteem - why can't we follow this ourselves?!?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

Morning ladies..

Erinn I hear you about getting caught up in posts...I belong to a couple of weight loss boards and sometimes it overwhelming to keep up with everything. I will post the challange on a separate thread..but please please please dont think you have to post on it...go right ahead and put your goals and success on here for the weekend! No one needs more stress.... I was thinking if we kept it separate maybe more can join us that dont belong to this thread...?? hope you dont mind.

Having a good exercise week here...and the scale is coming down again and the cravings are going away...now to keep it up for the weekend!!!
have a good one everyone!!!

EGM Im so glad your son is better!! Bridge mixture..omg...those things are evil...............I will not think about bridge mixture..I will not think about bridge mixture...I will not think about bridge mixture...ok its not working..Im going to eat some yogurt. hah

Oh Patti - of course I don't mind! I would feel worse if someone did something because *I* was the only one requesting it! I have been in countless PTA and committee meetings where everything had to change because of ONE person's request - I refuse to be that person! LOL.
Great job on the exercise, today is my day off, hoping to get a lot of work in! Thanks for all you do.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by egmdobbs
Patti - I'm in for the weekend challenge too! Good idea!

Almeeker - Your story about the granola points to the reason behind the problem of childhood obesity - the parents! Kids don't go grcoery shopping by themselves, they will eat what's in the house. If you supply them with the options and the teaching, they will learn!

SkinnyErinn - Just so you're not wondering "who the heck is this?", I am "following" your blog, so if you see someone named Emily show up, that's me! I also have a blog on blogspot.

I had a breakdown yesterday. My son has been really sick these last 2 days. 104-degree fever and all that. I had to take him to immediate care Tuesday night and spent 3 hours there while they did tests and chest x-ray. Then yesterday his fever was still high and back to the doc to find out it was an ear infection. So I've been sleepless, stressed out, and very worried, but I was still eating ok. Then I went into the drugstore to get his prescription and walked out with a bag of Bridge Mix (my favorite chocolate candy splurge) without even realizing it. I got in the car and stuffed half the bag (there's 5 servings in it) before I even knew what I was doing. I somehow snapped out of it and I was so mad at myself that I dumped the rest of the bag out of the window of the car! And the thing about the frantic stress eating that sucks the most - I didn't even enjoy it! I was just mindlessly shoveling food! My emotions rule my eating, and the last 20-30 pounds I have gained have come from stress and exhaustion. So I compensated yesterday by eating a very small dinner and I'll keep calories low today to make up for the extra 600-800 cals I ate yesterday. Grrrr!

Oh my god, you really are my twin! My son went through the same thing on April 10th - I even posted it on the other board. Glad someone's reading the blog, I just throw it out there in hopes that someone who started out like me will read it and decide to change their lives for the better.
I do that emotional eating too... no idea why we do it, except that our culture really uses food for everything: someone dies - eat, births - eat, weddings - eat, good day at work - eat, bad day at work - eat... everything is about food. I think for my 30th, we are going bicycling, LOL. Good job on the compensating, I love someone's signature on here about not dropping the other 11 eggs. Great job!
As a mother of TWO miniature carb addicts, I wonder about how we soothe our babies. If my son cries, someone is there shoving a bottle or a cracker or grapes in his face. In my mind, I am actually CREATING an emotional eater... get upset, get food. I am really trying to open up my family's eyes to that. Maybe I can start a new trend - get upset, go for a walk.... EMOTIONAL EXERCISING!!! YAY!
Good luck this week, don't beat yourself up... remember the stronger side of you is the one who woke up and threw that chocolate out the window.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by egmdobbs
Almeeker - I have to laugh about your Girl Scouting experience. I am actually a Girl Scout employee (and Brownies are a Girl Scout level, BTW - it's daisies, brownies, juniors, cadettes, seniors, and ambassadors! I think it's funny that you say all the leaders are queen-sized - all of the staff members I work with in an office of 25 are all overweight. Some more than others, and probably 5-7 are morbidly obese. I have only worked there for 3 months, but I can see why they're all unhealthy - we ALWAYS have a package of Girl Scout cookies open, we have a potluck every other week, everyone eats big lunches (usually fast food) together, and almost every event revolves around food. I think once I've been there a little longer I will try to institute some healthy practices. I think there are 1 or 2 other people there that might join me. And what's even funnier is that the Girl Scout programming has an emphasis on making healthy choices and self-esteem - why can't we follow this ourselves?!?
Oh that is soooo scary and I can see myself fitting right in at the office on soooo many levels. You know when I was a scout, we had to cook when we camped out, and there were recipes that you had to attempt for various badges and stuff. It was all pretty healthy, but when this particular group gets together, it's bad. You know that show "What Not To Wear", well this is "What Not To Eat".

My brother's company does this program called "The 5, 10, 15, 20 Challenge", it's mandatory. They get really great prizes too, like extra days off, gift cards, etc. Anyway the 5 is for 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day. This is apparently the hardest part for my brother's unit, right. So every morning they all pitch in money and the secretary runs out and gets a fruit tray for breakfast and a veggie tray for lunch. My brother keeps a weight bench in his office, because the 15 is 15 minutes of strengthening exercises/day. He lets the guys use it during break (or whenever). 10 is 10,000 steps on a pedometer, which the company provided and the 20 is that 2,000 of the steps have to be aerobic. It cracks me up that his whole unit pushes each other to keep pace. At the very least they've identified where they are weak and keep poking at each other. Oh and the other thing that's sort of funny is that the steps are posted weekly. Maybe you can get the boss on board a program like that, I dunno it's worth having a conversation over anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

Now thats keeping everyone accountable..wow...love that 5-10-15-20 idea.

Erin Im glad your ok with another thread for the challenge..sometimes when I write something on here I wonder if it will be misread..thanks for understanding. I just peeked over there and seems to be alot of interest from others on the board. As women we need to stick together and encourage each other.

Emily we do need to stop thinking of celebrations revolving around food...its sad isnt it. Starting with some healthy substitutions may have others joining you ... not everyone is comfortable being the first..hopefully you get lots of participants.

Almeeker...just letting you know I love your goals this weekend..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.