Losing Weight Faster Than I Thought Possible

Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
  #21  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Default

lose 10 pounds in a month is certainly possible, especially with a trainer, but not easy. Remember the formula is 3500 calories down will lose you 1 pound... this includes both training (additional calories burned) and eating. So if you want to lose that kind of weight, doing the math you need to either excerise off or eat 8000 calories less per week. That's quite a few; especially when your intake was probably somewhere between 1800 and 2000 before.

Odds are if you're at the weight you're at, you probably have been taking in far more calories than you think. A safe rule of math, btw; is you should never really take in less calories than your body weight (in lbs) X 10 over an extended period; and really X 11 is about right (X15 would be your standard "break even", so if you weigh close to 140 at this point you could eat ~2000 calories per day and be semi-active and maintain your weight).

This is where this is tool is truly starting to help me. I realized I had been taking in ~3400 calories, which is why (similar to you) I had gained about 12 pounds over the last year and a half (since my workout partner had a baby and stopped working out with me). I also hadn't been working out enough. I also got an addiction to sugary beverages (specifically Starbucks Frappucino's and Fat Free Whip Free Rasberry Mochas... 200 calories per drink X ~4 a day adds up), and I randomly snacked a good bit.

Being consious of what you eat is a GREAT start. Cardio should be the crux of your focus but don't forget the muscle work (if you have a good trainer they'll take care of all of this for you, but the bottom line is if you cut that many calories and don't do serious muscle work, you'll burn your muscle frame and weigh less but still not look any better).

Whew! Just some advice; while I've only been "back on dieting" for a week (I look good, but a little bit is "starting to form" on my tummy area, and I don't want it to expand. Plus I got in a bet with some friends ), I've previously had two other phases (one about 12 years ago when I lost 50 pounds, and one 3 years ago when I lost 20; every now and again I just "slip" and have to get refocused). On this week I'm already down 4 pounds. There is straight science and math in losing weight; don't fall for some of the fad diets people want to do, shortcuts never work for anything in life. Just eat healthy, track your calories on here, and work well with your trainer, and you'll hit your goals.

Good luck .
jelura5 is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 AM
  #22  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Default 1992 study on initial rapid weight loss

There is a publication in the 1992 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1992;56;2925-2935, entitled "Glycogen storage: illusions of easy weight loss, excessive weight regain, and distortions in estimates of body composition"

The article discusses a study of glycogen,a hydrated molecule (lots of water), which stores energy in the liver, muscles and fat cells. The study examined the glycogen depletion that occurs during initial dieting and the glycogen replenishment after dieting. Because glycogen contains three to four parts water, its loss can mistaken for dramatic fat loss. Further, it is quickly replenished after dieting, causing exaggerated weight gain.

From wikipedia: Glycogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Glycogen is the molecule that functions as the secondary long-term energy storage in animal cells. It is made primarily by the liver and the muscles, but can also be made by glycogenesis within the brain and stomach.[2] Glycogen is the analogue of starch, a less branched glucose polymer in plants, and is commonly referred to as animal starch, having a similar structure to amylopectin."

From the abstract:
"Glycogen is stored in the liver, muscles and fat cell in hydrated form (three to four parts water ... "

From the intro:
"The utilization of glycogen stores during weight reduction can have a significant effect on the apparent weight lost and the degree of recidivism after a period of dieting. The energy deficit required to reduce weight with glycogen as fuel is far less than fat due to both the difference in energy contributions of fat versus carbohydrate and, even more, the large amounts of water associated with storage glycogen. Small energy deficits, therefore, early in a weight-reduction diet, can produce the illusion of significant fat lost. The ease with which this weight will be regained can be disheartening to a dieter. The apparent ease of early weight losses can also lead to unrealistic expectations of the ability of a modest energy restriction or even exercise to achieve significant weight losses."

From the results discussion:
"Glycogen losses or gains are reported to be associated with an additional three to four parts water, so that as much as 5 kg (11 lbs) weight change might not be associated with any fat loss. As glycogen stores are readily replenished after conclusion of any weight-loss program, it is necessary to account fro these losses before comparing the effectiveness of weight-loss methods, before assessing recidivism, and certainly before criticizing dieters for lack of post-diet control."

Last edited by irissky; 03-05-2010 at 03:21 AM.
irissky is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
  #23  
FitDay Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 88
Default

Originally Posted by irissky View Post
There is a publication in the 1992 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1992;56;2925-2935, entitled "Glycogen storage: illusions of easy weight loss, excessive weight regain, and distortions in estimates of body composition"

The article discusses a study of glycogen,a hydrated molecule (lots of water), which stores energy in the liver, muscles and fat cells. The study examined the glycogen depletion that occurs during initial dieting and the glycogen replenishment after dieting. Because glycogen contains three to four parts water, its loss can mistaken for dramatic fat loss. Further, it is quickly replenished after dieting, causing exaggerated weight gain.

From wikipedia: Glycogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Glycogen is the molecule that functions as the secondary long-term energy storage in animal cells. It is made primarily by the liver and the muscles, but can also be made by glycogenesis within the brain and stomach.[2] Glycogen is the analogue of starch, a less branched glucose polymer in plants, and is commonly referred to as animal starch, having a similar structure to amylopectin."

From the abstract:
"Glycogen is stored in the liver, muscles and fat cell in hydrated form (three to four parts water ... "

From the intro:
"The utilization of glycogen stores during weight reduction can have a significant effect on the apparent weight lost and the degree of recidivism after a period of dieting. The energy deficit required to reduce weight with glycogen as fuel is far less than fat due to both the difference in energy contributions of fat versus carbohydrate and, even more, the large amounts of water associated with storage glycogen. Small energy deficits, therefore, early in a weight-reduction diet, can produce the illusion of significant fat lost. The ease with which this weight will be regained can be disheartening to a dieter. The apparent ease of early weight losses can also lead to unrealistic expectations of the ability of a modest energy restriction or even exercise to achieve significant weight losses."

From the results discussion:
"Glycogen losses or gains are reported to be associated with an additional three to four parts water, so that as much as 5 kg (11 lbs) weight change might not be associated with any fat loss. As glycogen stores are readily replenished after conclusion of any weight-loss program, it is necessary to account fro these losses before comparing the effectiveness of weight-loss methods, before assessing recidivism, and certainly before criticizing dieters for lack of post-diet control."
Very interesting and very helpful!
farr1022 is offline  
Old 03-06-2010, 01:28 PM
  #24  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default

I started Jan. 9 and have lost 36lbs to date. 3/6/10, but I havn't weighed in since 3/1/10 so it could be more??? You always lose big in the beginning. That is when your the most motivated and your losing a lot of water weight!! When you start to see the numbers lessen (I know from experiance) don't get discouraged, just continue on and maybe restructure your diet, and excercise routine. In the past when that has happened to me I gave up. This time I am resolved to continue on. So Good job, keep goin' and I will keep you in my prayers.
gallagher0669 is offline  
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM
  #25  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Default

I started fitday on 3/1/2010 and weighed 368 lbs. I weighed myself this morning (3/15) and I am down to 348 pounds. 30 minutes of exercise six days a week and maintaining around a 2100 calorie a day diet. Watch the calories and try to balance them appropriately.
sunwardusk75 is offline  
Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
  #26  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by sunwardusk75 View Post
I started fitday on 3/1/2010 and weighed 368 lbs. I weighed myself this morning (3/15) and I am down to 348 pounds. 30 minutes of exercise six days a week and maintaining around a 2100 calorie a day diet. Watch the calories and try to balance them appropriately.
Sounds like a sensible plan, very much like my own regimen, I try to keep the calories under 1800 a day, and use my nordicTrack about 30 minutes a day. I have been abstaining from alcohol, and sugary foods. I count calories and grams of protein.

2/18/10 263.0 #
3/15/10 250.4 #
jcali310 is offline  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
  #27  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Darien, CT
Posts: 10
Default

Well my second goal arrived today and I beat it. I set it for 340.0 and weighed 339.0!

When I started fitday on January 3rd I weighed 415,8 pounds now I am down to 3339.0 so I have lost a total of 76.8 and have more to lose.

I haven't decided what my next goal will be and when it will end because I am off to Florida for a week and will have to see what the scale says when I get back.

Hope everyone is keeping up the good work and the scale keeps moving in the right direction.
miceli250 is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
  #28  
FitDay Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 88
Default

Tremendous weight loss! Awesome!
farr1022 is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 AM
  #29  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 56
Default

Originally Posted by miceli250 View Post
Well my second goal arrived today and I beat it. I set it for 340.0 and weighed 339.0!

When I started fitday on January 3rd I weighed 415,8 pounds now I am down to 3339.0 so I have lost a total of 76.8 and have more to lose.

I haven't decided what my next goal will be and when it will end because I am off to Florida for a week and will have to see what the scale says when I get back.

Hope everyone is keeping up the good work and the scale keeps moving in the right direction.
I wonder if you or anyone else has found a way to make "friends" in fitday; you have to be friends to see another's journals. [email protected] will not answer.
RichardBuckner is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM
  #30  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Default

keep up the good work I have not been as hard working on cardio but I do walk 6 flights of stairs once a day and 3-4 miles a week. Since (Jan-2010) I have lost 24lbs, and have about 50+ to go. The weight loss has slowerd down and I reached a plateau but gained only a few back. I am still on a goal of 1-2 a week! Keep on working at it, we all will get there if we try!
CCMax is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.