Notices

not seeing results

Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

Let your body adjust!! YOU HAVE NOT MADE THE WRONG DECISION. It might take a month, but once your body gets in that BURNING MODE, you won't regret!!! As stated, if you decided to eat healthy or eating less, calories low, good food, enough sleep, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT and even better if you exercise--because heart and lungs need to be awesome!! Of course don't give up! It's very normal not to see (YOURSELF) changes, but trust me, someone will tell you that "YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING" and you will like it People notice, we usually don't. Your clothes won't lie either!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

How long have you been doing the program. Exercise and diet is not a quick fix but the best route.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jfkelley2009
How long have you been doing the program. Exercise and diet is not a quick fix but the best route.
I will be starting my 4th week on sunday.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

Hey man, here are some things to consider. Are you eating enough protein? What a lot of men think is that they have to starve themselves to lose weight and lose weight you will but not in a good way. You need to make sure you are eating enough to sustain your workouts. Your body will shut down and hold onto everything if you do things this way. Don't cut your calories so much that your body goes into starvation mode. How much is your daily deficit? This is a long journey not an overnighter and you have to be patient. Throw your scale away and let the mirror and your clothes be your gauge. They will tell you if/when you are losing weight.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

James

I think you and I are in a pretty similar position. I am also 38 and I started on fitday 2 weeks ago weighing 195lbs. I have created a goal and I record everything (my wife accuses me of being a geek about it...) I eat and all "meaningful" activities. I had a look at Turbulence Training but decided against buying it because I could not get any real details about what was involved. The website has some great testimonials but I was put off by the reviews I found online. They were suspiciously similar in wording... I am quite concious about being ripped-off online. It would be great to hear from you what is involved.

I have lost nearly 3lbs in my first couple of weeks (estimate - weigh in is Wednesday!)and hope to lose another 12 lbs in the next 8 weeks. I am also tracking things other than my weight (using a body monitor scale) which I hope will keep me motivated if the weight loss slows down. I hope to keep reducing body fat% for example even if I don't weigh any less.

I have definately reduced calorie intake, I am able to maintain a calorie balance of more than 900 calories on most days. I haven't though moved away from white products.

Can someone explain why, if my calorie intake is lower, eating white foods (refined sugars I guess) is a bad thing?

Good luck James - race you to 175lbs!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, id like to add to this thread as im in a very similar situation to you, James. I too have been upping my activity and cutting my cals back, and my results have been very strange.

Im currently about 196lbs, but started off at 194..a gain of 2lbs. I eat around 2000-2200 cals a day and have been doing at least an hour and 30 mins exercise daily, including road cycling, walking, using wii fit and strength training (strength training I was doing prior to my diet).

The cycling along with doing bodyweight squats seems to have added 1/4 inch of muscle to the bottoms of each thigh and another 1/2 inch to each calf amazingly, so im guessing this is why my weights gone up. Im wondering however if im eating too few calories for the amount of exercise im doing, as my actual weight doesnt seem to be shifting at all.

I get about 140grams of protein on a good day. Am I eating too few cals and not enough protein in general?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by chupachups
Hi, id like to add to this thread as im in a very similar situation to you, James. I too have been upping my activity and cutting my cals back, and my results have been very strange.

Im currently about 196lbs, but started off at 194..a gain of 2lbs. I eat around 2000-2200 cals a day and have been doing at least an hour and 30 mins exercise daily, including road cycling, walking, using wii fit and strength training (strength training I was doing prior to my diet).

The cycling along with doing bodyweight squats seems to have added 1/4 inch of muscle to the bottoms of each thigh and another 1/2 inch to each calf amazingly, so im guessing this is why my weights gone up. Im wondering however if im eating too few calories for the amount of exercise im doing, as my actual weight doesnt seem to be shifting at all.

I get about 140grams of protein on a good day. Am I eating too few cals and not enough protein in general?
I would say that depending on your age and metabolism, you are eating a decent amount of calories - You should be seeing an average of 1000-1200 calories per day in balance and a weight loss of ~2lbs per week (if you believe the fitday estimate of 3500 calories being equal to 1lb in weight).

In general there are only a small number of reasons for lack of weight loss:

You are eating too many calories (are you really counting everything including drinks etc.)
You are not doing any excercise - sounds like this is out if you are gaining muscle.
Your body has gone into preservation mode - conserving calories - depends on your metabolism
or
You have some other medical condition.

The more muscle you build the more active your metabolism. So keep that up. You are definately eating enough protien - your body can only take so much, the rest is tends to dispose of anyway.

Do some research into your metabolism and check that you are definately creating a calorie balance and also make sure that you are anal about counting every single calorie. I started working out in December and had no weight loss for 3 months. I then started recording everything and am now losing weight.

Keep up the good work and see you at the low weights!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jtownsend1210
Any good recipes for a healthy smoothie?
Every couple of days, my breakfast consists of the following smoothie:

1 cup 1% milk (although, skim would be better)
1 cup ice
1 cup fruit (I buy the non-sweetened, frozen type)
1 scoop, unflavored protein shake mix (although, every once in a while, I'll use a flavor for something different)
finally, I add a couple tsps of splenda to taste, although...I know there's a lot of debate on use of artificial sweeteners.

Blend and enjoy!