Community
Notices

Goal of 240 by 11/1/2010

Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Guys I hope to run a Marathon that first week in November . I am starting at 222lbs and hope to lose 40 lbs. My diet is what is keeping me back so I hope y'all can inspire me to do this and all of us reach our goal.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like a great goal and I'm sure you can do it. I don't think my knees would hold out for a marathon. I'm doing about 5 miles twice a week but at a slow pace, 5-5 1/2 MPH. Keep us posted on your progress. As far as diet, I'm all for posting everything you eat or drink on this site. At the end of the day, I journal may calories and extra activities like gym visit or runs. Being able to see it listed out, it seems to be easy to make adjustments and know what works better for you. It has help me stay on course over the past few months.
Good luck,
Ed
---------------------------
Late 2007- 325
November 16, 2009- 310
July 17, 2010, 246
Goal- 240x11/1/2010
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
FitDay Member

August 4, 2010-The scale hit the big 240. I feel great and plan to try to make the 240 my max weight and stay in the 230s. I think I need to keep up the food and activity journal for ever to maintain my loss.
It's been great to have you folks for support and help. Hearing you successes has been a great help to me.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

Hey guys I wanted to give you a little insight for your weight lifting. Try and focus on compound lifts: Presses, Rows, Pull-ups/downs, Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges. These types of lifts work the most muscle groups, therefore you will burn MORE calories and build MORE muscle. Also on the reps and weight factor I think low reps with more weight (5-8 reps with heavy resistance) will get you the most results, not just for building muscle but for losing fat. The reason is that using more weight makes the exercise more INTENSE, and you will burn more calories, you will also break down more muscle tissue stimulating regrowth and extra calorie burn. Remember your goal should be to spend as little time in the gym as possible making everything you do as intense as you can do it.

Also compound lifts have been shown to raise testosterone which in turn helps all your muscles grow, so doing squats can help you get bigger biceps from those rows you did.

I'm not pulling this out of my you know what. Most of this info comes from Turbulence Training.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

midwestj

you hit the nail on the head----I recently started this type of lifting and it works great.----The routine I have been using is known as the power of 10.
It uses heavy weights with few reps(6 to 8) until you reach muscle failure.
I do the exercises that you mentioned on Cybex machines at the gym.
This slow exercising builds muscle quickly and is easier on the joints,since there is no jerky motion.---Another great thing about it is,you only do about 6 or 7 exercises once or twice a week.
You can check out "the power of 10" online---let me know what you think.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Looks like a solid workout, mine differs a little but there are some principles that remain the same: like having good form, maximum intensity, heavy resistance low reps, time efficient.

I prefer to use all free weights, you can actually lift more weight because you use all the balancing and stabilizing muscles not needed on machines. I used to squat on a smith machine but now I only do em on the power rack, no belt, no guide bars, no excuses! I do mostly dumbbell and barbell exercises, things like pull downs and seated rows have to be done on a machine.

Machine or free weights do it with intensity and push yourself hard. Try and lift more weight each week, you will get stronger, and its nice to see the improvement.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Ed way to go on hitting your goal early my names Brian Im 42 just started with Fitday yesterday just trying to get around the site here seen your thread Ill be sure to be reading more of what you have to say... I like to relate to the ones in age with me and that have lost alot and keeping it off! Thanks...Brian
Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Brian,
Hope you have a lot of luck. I still want to take 5-10 more off and firm up some more. I going keep to the food and activities logs and hope just to stay healthy and in the 230s. Keep us posted on how your doing.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM
FitDay Member

Went to the store for some new rags today. 2 pair of 38" waist Levi's. WOOO-HOO!!!. I have not been able to get into 38" waist for about 13-14 years. Just set an updated goal for my 50th Birthday of 225. I'm sure this will be as low as I want to go and as I will be on a cruise all that week (with 7 folks who are all so much fun!), if I'm 225 the day I leave, I will likely have a few extra once I get back home.
Still working out hard but need to limit the booze and stay focused to not to ever go over 240 again.
Hope everyones is doing well.
Ed.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

Good job Ed!!! I went off course this summer, but getting back to it now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.