Notices

Animals!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Mike I love your videos and your pooches are so CUTE! My dog is also crazy for Pupperoni. It's like an illegal narcotic for him. He would do anyting for it! LOL.

Mytsie is so spunky! I love terriers.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Mike I love your videos and your pooches are so CUTE! My dog is also crazy for Pupperoni. It's like an illegal narcotic for him. He would do anyting for it! LOL.

Mytsie is so spunky! I love terriers.
thanks. Yeah they go crazy over Pupperoni.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

Oh man, so much cuteness! Your pets are too cute and too much. I'd include pix of our children (by which I mean 'cats'), but not too sure how to do that. Just trust me that they are super fluffinators and cute.

Mike - poor Chloe, lol, it had me laughing tho.
Rose - aww, what a cutie - he looks so sweet.
Cassie - That's great... One of our cats (the bigger one) is, well, very sweet but not so bright - but yet, he's the one most people gravitate toward! I also liked the image of a person rolling about on the floor for crumbs... hahahhaha
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
The vet told me I could scatter his dry food on the floor so it would take him longer to eat and thereby eat less...sounded ridiculous, but even more so was the fact that I caught myself wondering if it would be a good idea for people, too .
Well, it's the same idea as getting up off that couch and walking around the block, any exercise is better than none : ) You can also cut a hole in a milk jug, big enough to get a paw in but not his head, and put the food in that. Or put the dishes up on the dryer. Make him work at it. The Kong company makes puzzle toys that must be played with to make treats fall out. Trickery trickery! And I often find myself longing for a bag of Purina Human Chow. Ditch the calorie counting and worrying about a balanced diet and measure out 1 cup of food 3 times a day? Yeah, I'm down with that...

I have a 14 lb middle aged orange male tabbycat who's got mental health issues from being hand raised, a 3 yo chihuahua with no eyeballs (born that way) who's overweight at 2 lbs 12 oz, and a betta fish who is surprisingly perfectly normal.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
I have a 14 lb middle aged orange male tabbycat who's got mental health issues from being hand raised, a 3 yo chihuahua with no eyeballs (born that way) who's overweight at 2 lbs 12 oz, and a betta fish who is surprisingly perfectly normal.
Lizzycritter, my dog is nearly blind now. He is soon to be 14 years old and has cataracts. (You can actually see them in his picture above.) This morning he bumped into a watering can that I left on the kitchen floor. I felt so bad. Do you have any advice besides not moving things around? He seems to do quite well usually. When we walk outdoors he keeps his nose to the ground and doesn't usually bump into much. I can't really guide him efficiently with my voice either because he is a little deaf too! I am surprised at how well he is handling his new disabilities though. (I'm really proud of the little guy, can you tell?)

Also good for you for taking in some pets with challenges. They are so lucky to have you!

By the way, I'm not just a dog lover. I love cats too and my dog is very nice to them so we have had some foster cats from time to time.

Last edited by mtlgirl; 12-04-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Not moving stuff around too much is pretty much all you can do. Biggest risk to these guys is getting a corneal scratch or ulcer, from bumping into stuff, so if you notice he's suddenly squinting, have it checked. Caught early, scratches are pretty easy to treat. It's possible to have cataracts in dogs removed, it would require a trip to a veterinary opthalmologist and I'm not sure at his age if you'd want to put him through it, but the option exists. Pip bounces off the kids' toys all the time. He just shakes it off and keeps going

On a side note, a friend of mine had a blind rottie and a great dane mix, the rottie would put his nose between the dane's rear legs and walk around like that. Seeing eye dog for the dog lol. Kids and pets are smarter than we give them credit for.

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 12-04-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

I have two cats who came to me through my daughter. And two dogs, a 3 yr old female golden retriever who is as sweet as can be. She's my favorite walking partner.

Then there's the other dog, an 8 yr old male huge ole lunk of a yellow lab who is socially challenged. He is also highly allergic to at least 67 known allergens (we took him in for testing). He's allergic to grass! dust! cats! Thankfully he is not allergic to humans or tennis balls. He's on a custom allergy serum and my husband gives him an injection every other week. I adopted him from a retired couple who got him when they retired, thinking they had time for a puppy. They didn't realize the energy levels of a labrador puppy nor the size he would get in their motor home. So, for most of his formative first year he spent his time alone at home in a garage with a doggie door to a fenced yard, while they travelled around in their motor home. The neighbor came over once a day to check on him and food/water levels. I am sure that has contributed to his lunk-headed-ness.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

mtlgirl, I have fostered (too many to count) blind/deaf dogs. When I am home I am not to concerned about them but I usually have to gate them to prevent any mishaps when I am out. Some that I get are so bad I have to gate them in my kitchen when I am not right there with them. My biggest concern would be keeping your guy away from stairs so he doesn't fall.

Lizzycritter, I have an almost 90 pound brain damaged puppy lol!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

Yay for animal lovers! I have two Shih Tzu mixes and our family dog is a Golden Retriever. And like many dogs you guys have it is one of my Shih Tzu's that controls the other two. I also have a fish and 17 Chickens. My fish is actually the most awesome fish you ever saw. He is just a normal little minnow I caught out of a stream two years ago but he is the most friendly fish ever. Walk past and he swims as close to you as he can. Put your finger over the water and he will jump up to reach it. Stick your finger in the water and he will nibble it. I can actually "pet" him. When people come over to our house we always introduce them to our fish!

I love working with animals especially dogs and just trying to understand how they communicate with each other and with people.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

We have a fish. His name is Luckyfish, because he is lucky to be alive. Believe me there have been several water poisoning incidents... We would have a lot more pets, but we live on a busy corner. I've seen lots of other people's dogs get killed right there in front of me, and I just can't do that to the kids. We can't have indoor cats or rodents because DH is very allergic, and I'm allergic to feathers. So we just have Luckyfish. The girls each claim a horse out at the parents place, but they aren't really ours, and we don't have to do chores or pay for the feed or vet bills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.