Notices

Help! Sluggish Metabolism

Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Help! Sluggish Metabolism

Hey everyone! I just joined yesterday and for the past 10 yrs or so I've been trying to lose 20 - 30 lbs. I have had some success in the past with calorie restriction and workouts but have never managed to 1.) keep it off and 2.) to lose more than 10 lbs. I started seeing a nutritionist a year ago and we went from a lowfat diet to a lowfat and lowcarb diet (she was trying everything she could think of to get my metabolism going) and then I was trying a Paleo diet without much success. To complicate things I quit smoking before Christmas so my normally sluggish metabolism has come to a screeching halt. I have started working my way into some crossfit workouts and have worked out with weights for the past 10 yrs. or so. I've had bloodwork done and there's nothing wrong with my Thyroid. I'm just wondering if I am destined to be overweight or is there hope for me. Anyone else have the same type of problem and/or some solutions?

Thanks!

P.S. I am currently 155lbs. 5'4" and would like to get into a healthy weight range of 125 - 140.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Do you know what % of body fat you are? I've been told that just because ones BMI and weight don't meet the normal standards that one can still be healthy and fit depending on the body fat %. 155 just may be normal for you.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy

My BF is 30.9% which is in the overweight range...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there, and welcome. I have a couple questions that might help us help you out a little better. How was it that they diagnosed your sluggish metabolism? And when you've done calorie restriction in the past, how many do you usually eat and burn in a day? Finally, what proportion carbs, fat, and protein are you working with?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

My nutritionist labeled me that way. I was probably eating 1100 - 1200 calories/day and exercizing 4 - 5 times per week for 45min (a mix of cardio and weight training. My macronutrient ratios were approx. 40% protein 40% carb 20% fat. It took me over a year to lose 8 lbs! Now I am thinking that maybe I was eating too little. I'm just so frustrated because I'm trying to be healthier in quitting smoking but if - Oh never mind...I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I think I just need to pay closer attention to everything I put in my body and keep on truckin.....but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears..

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

I would suggest checking out Atkins--not just low-carb. From what I've read, low-carb/low-fat diets don't work as well as Atkins. Read The New Atkins for a New You (NANY). You can probably get it at the library. You need some healthy fats to get your metabolism going--just don't think that Atkins is permission to eat a stick of butter each day. Eggs, avocados, olive oil, cheese, and meat all count toward your fat intake each day.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

That was my first thought...you're eating too little. IMO, that will make anyone's metabolism slow down. One of the best things I found to kick-start the metabolism is to try zig-zagging calories (calorie cycling...higher some days, lower others, but averaging out to where you want your daily calories to be). Your ratios look good, exercise looks good, how is your fiber? Sodium?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Fiber is good but sodium is way up there! I am probably not getting in my 8 glasses of H2O a day either....am working on that as I 'm sure this will help too! I do appreciate your help!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

How are your meals spaced? Are you eating on a regular schedule or do you consume a large percentage of your calories at a single sitting? I ask because this can effect how your body uses and stores the calories you are taking in. If you take most of your calories in at your evening or nightly meal your body does not have a chance to burn them and so will store the extra calories. Just an idea.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ggursky
Fiber is good but sodium is way up there! I am probably not getting in my 8 glasses of H2O a day either....am working on that as I 'm sure this will help too! I do appreciate your help!!!
Maybe you just answered your own question. I cannot lose weight without the water intake. But 8 oz of water is the baseline, I add another 8 oz for every 10lbs I want to lose. That plus high sodium would certainly put me at a stand still.