Notices

Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read Me!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy

Hey,

I agree, Im currently 5'7 and 100 pound, Im trying to use this site to GAIN weight, along with weight training I am using this site to track my intake. Which has been extremely usefull as I wasnt eating nearly enough even though I thought i was! Im able to make changes to my diet accordingly.
I would really like to be able to put in a higher weight goal, but cant
Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Gah, I'm in the same boat guys. suggestion seconded.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Bump!!!?!?

Since there was no reply to this, I'd like to bump it and see if there can be one. I too am trying to actually GAIN weight (I know, this is not normal in the US today), but this goal is not supported by the fitness journal.

Hey Devs....any help???
Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

Same here, I too would like this feature enabled, if possible.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weight Gainers

This is a diet for weight gainers! I do realize that this might be a weight loss site, however, Fitday also seems to be a great way to track for weight gainers as well.

I'm just leaving what I eat here to see if anyone has some suggestions on how I can improve/ take in more calories a day. My goal is to get from 135-160 of decent muscle mass in around 4-5 months.

Morning- Egg(large)x2 Toastx2 multivitamins, avocado

Post morning- 1/2 protein shake (495 calories)

Pre workout- 1/2 protein shake

Post workout- 1 protein shake

Dinner- 3 cups of rice, mixed veggies, 2 eggs, 1/2 pound of ground chicken/pork/beef/mystery meat, 1 cooked onion

or: whole roast chicken from the grocery store+ rice and eggs, 1 cooked onion, garlic

or: 2 servings of pasta+ 1/2 pound of meat+ 2 tomatoes + tomato sauce, 1 cooked onion, garlic,

Note: I sometimes separate dinner into 2 meals (still eaten on the same day), as I feel bloated some days.
Post Dinner- avocado, 1/2 protein shake.

Total caloric intake ~4000-5000

I switch it up with various foods, such as tuna, beef, salmon, mussels/clams, peanut butter/nutella sandwiches, etc. However, the protein shakes and eggs are a staple in my diet. I can't afford milk on my student budget since lactose-free milk costs about twice as much as normal milk. I don't do drugs and I don't drink more than around once a month or so.

I am currently on the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I also do boxing, and interval running on the side. I was considering the GOMAD diet, however, I can't get myself to drink that much milk...

Its been around a month since I started this routine and diet, and while I've made significant strength gains, My weight has only increased by around 3 pounds( I weighed in at 138 post-workout today)

Questions, comments, criticisms, all welcome!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

I think you're at a good level of calories for gaining, I wouldn't intentionally push it any higher. Here are some general comments:

1. Try to get a greater variety and amount of vegetables. You can gain a decent amount muscle with your sheer caloric intake, but please don't do it at the expense of your general health. Switch up your carbs so you maximize nutritional value, so instead of 3 cups of rice, try a baked or boiled sweet potato or yam.

2. How do you prepare your eggs? You can add more calories if you fry them nutritional oils like olive or coconut. You can also devil them with avocado and toss some spices on to up the antioxidant content.

3. If you are able to add in some milk you can use it to beef up your protein shakes with half milk, half water. It will last longer that way and won't hit your wallet as hard.

4. Out of curiosity, what's your protein/fat/carb % split?

-Nik
Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

so no real food between breakfast and dinner?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

Wow you need to eat healthier than that, throw in a bunch of vegetables with all that meat! If you log your food into fit day you can see all the nutrition levels and see what you are short on.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
I think you're at a good level of calories for gaining, I wouldn't intentionally push it any higher. Here are some general comments:

1. Try to get a greater variety and amount of vegetables. You can gain a decent amount muscle with your sheer caloric intake, but please don't do it at the expense of your general health. Switch up your carbs so you maximize nutritional value, so instead of 3 cups of rice, try a baked or boiled sweet potato or yam.

2. How do you prepare your eggs? You can add more calories if you fry them nutritional oils like olive or coconut. You can also devil them with avocado and toss some spices on to up the antioxidant content.

3. If you are able to add in some milk you can use it to beef up your protein shakes with half milk, half water. It will last longer that way and won't hit your wallet as hard.

4. Out of curiosity, what's your protein/fat/carb % split?

-Nik

1. I do sometimes end up eating a massive massive salad, whenever the mood(my body) hits me, its made of house greens, and the meat above. I'm actually so ridiculously sick of potatoes, you don't even know xD, student budget= potatoes every other day for the past year.

2. I fry them in virgin olive oil, sunny side up, then I put the yolk on the toast and crush it, it makes me feel manly. =) sometimes I don't eat an avocado but maybe a pear, orange, or whatever fruit I've on hand.

3. Yea I haven't thought of that actually, great idea.

4. No clue, it does differ with my different meals, but I do know I take in in excess of 250g's of protein a day.

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
so no real food between breakfast and dinner?

Well, I usually get up around 11 or 12, and the timing goes like this:

12-brekkers

2- snack

4-snack(pre workout if its a routine day)

6-snack(post if its a routine day)

8-dinner

9/10-dinner(if I didnt finish it)

11/12-nightime snack

For snacks, I might prepare a salad with meat and fruit if I'm not too full, or a peanut butter nutella sandwich. Usually I do around 4pm or so if I don't workout on that day. Perhaps I should add in my off-routine day schedule as well.

Originally Posted by waynegretzky
Wow you need to eat healthier than that, throw in a bunch of vegetables with all that meat! If you log your food into fit day you can see all the nutrition levels and see what you are short on.
Right on, I do neglect my veggie groups too much I believe. I just started using fitday so I'll be able to start recording/see what happens! I'll try to make more salads as snacks! I probably do have a lack of fiber in my diet. Will start adding oatmeal, as per suggestions by gym staffers. I'm just afraid I'll have too much iron in my diet from eating too much greens.

With the addition of multivitamins, I meet my daily nutritional vitamin values, so I think I'm doing decent there!

Last edited by circusact; 05-31-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default gaining weight

i would like to use this program to gain weight, however i get an error when putting in my target weight...anyone know what the dealio is on that??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.