Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
don't understand activity categories in fitday profile >

don't understand activity categories in fitday profile

Notices

don't understand activity categories in fitday profile

Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default don't understand activity categories in fitday profile

I don't understand the categories offered in the profile. Some seem to be about a person's activity on the job, and none seem to be about excercise . . . I didn't know which to choose. I don't do standing work but I don't know if my daily work out could be categorized as strenuous. Depending on whether I have Physical Therapy on a day, I do 10-20 minutes on an eliptical trainer at moderate resistance, with the ramp tilted so I can focus on my abs and butt. Then I do 10-20 minutes of strength and stability exercises. Once in a while I'll swim afterwards. I do PT (shorter workout) 2x week and Gym (longer workout) 3 times per week. That's not strenuous is it?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
wow, to me, that is so much activity!!!!! then i really should pick sedanatery as my level!
i don't do any exercise(yet) just climbing the stairs to the 4th floor where i work, twice daily and walking 10 minutes to and from bus stop twice daily, that's all
i should be very ashamed of myself!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default activity levels

Hi all,
The activity level you choose in FitDay doesn't include your exercise routines. It is basically what you do for a living. If you are a stay at home parent, you do lots of walking, bending etc, then you would pick a moderately active level. If you are an office worker you are mostly sedentary. After You set up lifestyle, THEN you start adding your exercise or other activtities.

Many women (including me) think that FitDay over estimates our basic calorie needs. So at my activity level FitDay says I need 2010 calories per day (before exercise). My experience is that this is a little high - I am closer to 1800. I think it is one of the Lizzies that recommends adding your sleeping hours to get a closer estimate. IMO it is better to under estimate my calorie needs and end up buring a little more each day, than over estimating and end up gaining weight when I think I should be losing.

Unlike calories eaten, calories burned are a little more subjective, so the program has a little harder time nailing down exactly how much you are burning. That being said, with a little experience it as a fabulous tool for getting a handle on your calorie balance.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

OMG!!!! i'm worried now, been trying too hard to make the 1200 points for my activity level, but now that i have adjusted it to seating, i've been eating too much it seems!
i have to train myself for this calorie intake now!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Question calculation error?

Farah,
Are you like really tiny? 1200 for a normal daily activity seems really low. I am 5'4" 140 lbs, with a fairly sedentary job. Fitday's calorie load for me is about 2000. (As I noted earlier it is probably a little high)

I'm not sure how you guys are using this tool
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Fitday claims that I burn 2575 calories per day; I am 5'8" tall and currently weigh 173 pounds; I have my lifestyle activity set at "mostly seated with some movement." To me, 2575 calories seems a little excessive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to believe that I actually burn that many calories in a day; just think of all the weight I could lose, just by cutting my eating down to even 1700 calories a day!

Alas, I'm pretty sure that Fitday is slightly confused in this case. Since I'm not really sure how many calories I am burning, nor do I want to pay money to find out, I generally stick with around 2100 calories per day, and try to eat about 1700, and attempt to burn another 300-400 working out.

Maybe I need to change it to "seated all day" to get a more accurate count? I am a police dispatcher, so I do spend 8 hours of my day seated, but once I get home, I am constantly running around doing chores: up and down the basement stairs for the laundry, standing while making dinner, doing dishes, etc.

I don't know..what do you guys think?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Farah,
Are you like really tiny? 1200 for a normal daily activity seems really low. I am 5'4" 140 lbs, with a fairly sedentary job. Fitday's calorie load for me is about 2000. (As I noted earlier it is probably a little high)

I'm not sure how you guys are using this tool
i am really tiny! i'm only 5', with my updated weight at 149 lbs. also with a sedentary job. if i use sedentary, fitday calculates my calorie allowance @725, if i select seating, then my allowance goes up to 1007 calories. am i using this tool wrong? please let me know.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Farah & Jenny
Farah, I am trying to track down what's going wrong with your profile. If I input your information I get a daily calorie need of 1662. Have you entered your weight correctly under the "Weight" tab? and in the profile tab have you checked the correct units and entered your height correctly?

Jenny, you have found what a lot of us female-types have found, the calorie estimates are a little too high based on your experience (and mine) and based on other calculators available on the web. There are a couple fixes, one is to add the hours sleeping. I think it is Cassie who suggested this and who feels that the lower number is much closer to her real calorie needs. Another, as you have found is to lower the activity levels.

I definitately think it is better to underestimate my calorie needs than over estimate, although it is nice to think that I could eat 2300 calories a day and not gain weight .
Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I'll definitely just go with the lower number. That way, if I burn more calories than what I calculated, it's just an added bonus!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi Farah & Jenny
Farah, I am trying to track down what's going wrong with your profile. If I input your information I get a daily calorie need of 1662. Have you entered your weight correctly under the "Weight" tab? and in the profile tab have you checked the correct units and entered your height correctly?

Thank you for doing this for me darling, you are a true sweetheart!
ok, i went through it again, i have my weight, height and all entered correctly and this is the equation i get:

Your Calorie Balance Equation
Calories You Burn - Calorie Restriction = Calorie You Can Eat
1,834....................826...................... 1,007

this is exactly from fitday, i swear.

Last edited by farahb7; 05-02-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: making it pretty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.