FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Couch to 5K (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/855-couch-5k.html)

waynegretzky 05-20-2010 03:38 PM

I just ran for the first time today. Ran 4 times 30 seconds each. Walked for five minutes in between. And that was enough for today!! Going to do that every second day for two weeks then up it to 45 seconds and six times. Slow but sure is my goal.

avelina 05-22-2010 07:15 PM

I RAN FOR 25 MINUTES TODAY!! I did it! And I didn't give up! YAY me!

mtlgirl 05-22-2010 11:09 PM

Avelina, that is soooo great! Congratulations!

I am totally inspired to keep going. Today I'm doing an 8k powerwalk and tomorrow I'm restarting the C25K.

Sarah159 05-23-2010 06:21 AM

I definitely want to try this! Endurance running is a huge personal goal of mine, since I can't run at all right now. :( Last I checked, I could only run for about 17 minutes but that was at speed 4.5 on the treadmill. So this seems like a very good idea. Thanks for the link!

Sarah159 05-23-2010 06:23 AM

Congratulations Avelina! I hope to be able to run for 25 minutes sometime soon!

avelina 05-23-2010 06:59 AM

Sarah: I'm not sure of my pace since I run outside but I doubt it's much faster than 5.0 on the treadmill-slow but I'm not worried about that right now. I'm just happy I can run at all! Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress.

Sarah159 05-23-2010 09:40 AM

I just did Day 1 of the C25K and it kicked my butt! I just barely made it haha. I was switching between 60 seconds of 6mph and then 90 seconds of 3mph. I'll have to lower that 6mph next time, but I had to keep going with it for today because that's how my mind works. I can't give in or slow down once I've started. But this looks to be a promising program! I hope it helps me!

mtlgirl 05-25-2010 02:42 AM

C25K App

Hi Everyone!

I just downloaded a Couch To 5K app on my iPhone and it gave the motivation to start it all over again this morning. I am recovered enough from my stomach ulcer (nasty thing!) to run again and I am totally motivated. The app is great! I don't have to look at the time at all. A voice tells you when to run and when to walk and you can choose your own playlist of music to work out to. It's great! I really enjoyed my run this morning!

Sarah, welcome to the club! Sounds like you pushed yourself pretty hard in that first workout! I'm running outside so I have no idea what speed I'm running at but I don't think that I'm going higher than 5 on the treadmill. I am just trying to build on stamina now and I'll worry about speed later! ;)

Have a great day, Everyone!

tjkhoover 05-25-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by avelina (Post 8465)
I've (re-) started this program found at Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan Yesterday I completed day 1 of week 1. Would anyone consider starting up and being a running buddy?

I did this up through W7 and I have been thinking about doing it again but this time using the road instead of a treadmill. I am overweight so the pounding of the road hit a little harder on the knees but I think I might be ready....although I am still overweight C25K has definitely helped my endurance and muscles. I can still see the difference after 6 months of not running. I will meet up with you ladies on here.

You will definitely surprise yourself from week to week. I love this program. I started this program at 225 lbs. and the 7 weeks took me 10 because I repeated a week. It works!

avelina 05-25-2010 06:18 AM

I started week 7 today, and ran another 25 minutes. I won't say it was easy but I didn't feel like I needed to give up at any point. Just a few weeks ago I felt like giving up after 5 minutes, like that was too much to handle. If I can do this you guys, so can you! I'm still almost 180 pounds and running.

tjkhoover 05-25-2010 09:04 AM

Great job on W7D1 Avelina. I remember that too....being so amazed at the fact that at week 1 I felt like I was going to keel over and die to running 25 minutes....What an amazing feeling. I bet you are ecstatic right now. Great job!

mtlgirl 05-27-2010 01:03 AM

I ran day 2 of week 1 today and it was wonderful! The sun is shining but it was cool enough this morning to run comfortably... a welcome relief from our 3-day heat wave. I love this program!

I have also completed 2 power walks since Sunday and had a great bike ride on Monday. This has been a stellar week so far for me! I feel really great. Have an amazing day, Everyone!

itsallaboutd 05-27-2010 05:29 AM

I too did this program a little over a year ago and made it up to running 25 minutes straight thru, considering I never ran before in my life.

Then I had an injury that set me back and could not run for the longest time. I have struggled a couple times to re-start but could NEVER run outside everytime I tried. Air quality or whatever ALWAYS threw me off and I did not have a treadmill at home or gym access for some time.

I just recently got back into my fitness (knee is healed) and bought a treadmill last week for the home so I immediately began my running program again all through the cool running site. wkd2 is where I am and finding the re-start pretty smooth. I think however I will go MUCH slower this time around making sure I do not re-injure my knee. I want to run that 5k for myself alone. No plans for runs, just doing it for my health and wanting to stay fit.

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread and helping use this as some motivation as well from you all. :)

mtlgirl 05-27-2010 06:25 AM

Welcome, itsallaboutd! Of course we don't mind you jumping in, the more the merrier! I too am being very careful not to injure my knees. Considering I weigh 197, I really want to avoid being out of commission. I think it is so great that you made it up to 25 minutes of straight running!

I run outside and I really love it. I'd love to have a treadmill at home but there wouldn't be anywhere for me to have one in my condo. However whenever weather is a big problem, I know I can go to the gym which is a 5-minute walk from where I live.

Congratulations for restarting the C25K program. I hope you will find this thread helpful to stay motivated. :)

mtlgirl 05-29-2010 12:27 AM

Completed Week 1

Yay! I just completed week 1 and I am actually looking forward to starting week 2 on Monday. :)

Luckygir15 05-29-2010 01:33 AM

I seem to be stuck on week 4. Ohh well, I'll just repeat this week until I'm ready to move up to week 5. Running 5 minutes straight is a killer for me!!!!

mambogirl81 05-29-2010 02:11 AM

I just wanted to post to tell you all to keep up the good work! I started a similar program a little over a year ago after having never run in my life. I hated to run. I don't even think I ran as a kid since I disliked it so much! Anyway, I worked at it a little at a time and am running my first 10k race on Memorial Day! I never would have thought that I could go 6.2 miles after not being able to run 1/4 mile my first time out. Keep going. If I can do it, so can you! It actually can get addicting!:)

mtlgirl 05-29-2010 05:49 AM

Luckygirl, don't worry about how long it will take... at least that's my motto. The point is that you are getting out there 3 X week and working on your fitness. It's soooo good for you. At least that's what I'm telling myself because I'm sure I'll have to repeat a week or two at some point!

Mambogirl, that is amazing! Thanks so much for the encouragement. A 10k race? Good for you! I actually wouldn't mind getting addicted to running. It sure beats being addicted to cookies!

itsallaboutd 05-31-2010 01:43 AM

thanks mtlgrl.. I will definitely need the motivation to keep me going since I am not hitting the gyms anymore.

I just finished W1D4 (did one extra day to be sure) and moving up to my second week

My work schedule takes me away from home every other week for 4 days so no treadmill access for me.. so each week of running will actually take me 2 wks to complete. Plenty of time to make sure I get it down pact, I hope lol.

Luckygrl.. its ok to be stuck. It happens to us all, just keep trying

avelina 05-31-2010 04:20 AM

I completed week 7 yesterday and it wasn't too bad at all. That's four runs at 25 minutes now. Tomorrow I start 28 minutes. Only two weeks left for me, then I need to figure out what goals to set next.
Lucky, you are doing great! Don't worry about repeating weeks, as long as you are out there exercising and building endurance, that's great. You'll know when you're ready to move on.

tjkhoover 06-01-2010 07:15 AM

ok...I am really bummed. I wanted to start this program today and I am out of remission from this illness I have. Now I don't know when I will be able to start and I am trying not to let it bother me but I was so excited about beginning again. :(

mtlgirl 06-01-2010 07:40 AM

Aw Jackie, I am really sorry to hear that. I hope that this bout does not last long at all! In the meantime just keep eating healthy and checking in here regularly for support and motivation. That's why we're all here after all.

I'm bummed for you too. :(

mtlgirl 06-04-2010 01:12 AM

Good morning to the C25K team!

I just completed Week 2 Day 3 so Sunday I'll be starting Week 3. Yay! I can hardly wait... Yesterday I also started the Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred workout on dvd. Today I am really feeling it! Holy moly, it is one intense workout but it's only 30 minutes long so on the days I am not running I will do the Shred. After just 2 weeks of regular exercise I already feel AMAZING!

Have a great Friday, Everyone!

P.S. Jackie, thinking of you and hoping you feel better asap.

avelina 06-05-2010 06:02 PM

I completed week 8 day 3 today, so Monday is the beginning of my last week of C25K!! 30 minutes, I almost can't believe I did it. I remember when 5 minutes was so hard. It hasn't felt like it gets easier every week but I don't think it's meant to. It doesn't feel so difficult that I can't do it though. One more week!

tjkhoover 06-06-2010 06:28 AM

Lord willing I am going to start this program tomorrow. I will have to stay close to home probably go around a block about 12 times...but hey who cares. I am going to give it a shot. I have had a rough week but I am beginning to feel a little better and I want to start. I refuse to let this keep me down.

Great job MTgirl...W3 :) Yeah....before you know it you will be running 20-30 minutes straight.

Avelina...no more intervals...WOW...you will be graduating soon. Do you plan to move on to any of the other programs or just stick with this for a while? Good job!

mtlgirl 06-06-2010 09:58 AM

Jackie, I am really thrilled to hear that you feel like you can start the program tomorrow! I am so impressed with you and your positivity. It's inspiring. :)

I went on an 8K powerwalk today... in the pouring rain so I will actually start week 3 tomorrow morning. Today's walk knocked me out! Being rained on is one thing, walking uphill for the first 35 minutes is another but all of it combined, just tired me out! I took a hot bath afterwards and feel good.

Way to go Avelina! Amazing job!

mtlgirl 06-07-2010 01:06 AM

Woohoo! Started week 3 today and loved it! It was a little hard to jump from 90-second runs to 3 minutes but I kept told myself, "This is supposed to be hard." And I pushed through and afterwards I felt so victorious, I felt like Rocky Balboa!

Have a great day. Everyone!

avelina 06-07-2010 06:43 AM

I just finished day 1 of week 9. 30 minutes didn't feel much harder than 28 minutes but I was ready to stop when I was done. Something that helps me is not looking at my watch too much, especially at the start of my run. I try to pick out a landmark far ahead and tell myself that I won't check my watch until I reach that point. I hate when I check and I still have 20 minutes to go!

tjkhoover, I'm so proud of you for starting again so soon! As far as what I'm going to do next, I think I'm going to work on running a certain distance as opposed to time, so I'll try to run 5k (which I don't do even in 30 minutes yet!) but attempt to improve my speed each time I do it. I'd be happy with running 5k three times a week, at least for a while. My goals will probably change with time.

Today's run :http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/cur...0635&success=1

Luckygir15 06-07-2010 07:09 AM

Avelina: Congrats on that run and goals!!! WOW that's awesome!

I just completed Week 5 day 1 today. I was extremely sweaty and had to pump myself up throughout the 5 minute jogging sessions... "Come on, your half way there, you can do it no problem!!!"

I'm nervous for Day 2 this week on Wednesday which is an 8 minute jog...so we will see how that goes!

I'm using the treadmill at the gym (I'm too self conscious yet to run in public) What speed does everyone run at? I've been jogging at about 4.7 and wondering if that's too fast or slow.

avelina 06-07-2010 07:22 AM

Luckygirl, I have to talk myself through every run too, as if I have to convince myself to keep going. I wonder if that will ever stop? Week 5 is a hard week, I remember it being one of my most difficult, but it is possible and you will feel so great after it's done. Week 6 may even feel easier after week 5. Please let us know how it goes!
I usually run about 5.0-5.2. I only know this after entering my run on the walkjogrun site. As I'm running I have no idea how fast I'm going. Today I was at 5.0 but I felt like it was faster. I should use a treadmill on occasion to get a better idea of what the pace feels like.

tjkhoover 06-07-2010 04:15 PM

Great job MTgirl on W3...each week is a milestone it seems. We go from so little to a little bit more to running a 5K....who would have thought.

Avelina....you are on the home stretch and what a great feeling it must be just to know you are running now. Good job.

Well, I did W1D1 today. I had to modify a little in the sense of mileage. I went 2 miles instead of 3.11 but I figure if I can run a mile straight by the end of this I am doing better than I was when I started :)

I had a really rough week so I was very sore from my bouts but it also felt good to be moving. I have lost 2 lbs this week so that was another goal met. Overall, I have to say that I am excited about my progress so far...W1 LOL.....but I do remember what it was like W5 and W7 and W5 made me feel like I was able to do anything...what a confidence builder. W6 was the toughest for me for some reason.

Gr8 job luckygirl...you are more than half way there.

mtlgirl 06-07-2010 11:24 PM

Amazing job, tjkhoover! Considering all that you had to overcome to get out there yesterday and start w1d1 you should be incredibly proud of yourself. You go, Girl!!!! Also congratulations on the 2-pound weight loss! I would kill for a 2-pound weigth loss. You are doing so well.

We'll all have to go at out own pace. I have a feeling I might have to repeat a week or two but I'm totally fine with it because I am improving a little with every single workout. It is such a confidence booster! I'm just focusing my energy on getting fit right now because I am not getting very encouraging results on the scale :( But I'm just going to keep pushing forward with my fitness and healthy eating and hoping that the weight will come off eventually!

Have a great day, Everyone!

tjkhoover 06-08-2010 03:00 AM

Yes, the weight will eventually come off. I have been consistent about putting my food in and it seems like I am eating on the average of 1500-1800 calories. I started with a few days at 1200 and kept going over but it seems to be working. I don't know about all the if you go to low it stays on because your body thinks it is starving or not but I figure if I keep working on staying consistent and if I start to gain or something I will back off by 100 and see how it goes. You and I are pretty close in our weight and goals....what are you doing? By the way, I did lose at least 15 lbs while doing the C25K in about 11 weeks the last time I did it. So be patient and keep going. I also walked on my days off of running.

We will get there if we just focus on the lifestyle change and enjoy what we are doing.

mtlgirl 06-08-2010 01:41 PM

Thank you for that, Jackie. I feel encouraged and I appreciate your support. I am following a very similar plan to yours. I am totally diligent about logging all my food on Fitday. I'm eating betwenn 1400-1700 calories per day and always trying to get at least 28% protein. As far as exercise goes, as you know I am doing the Couch To 5K program 3 times per week. As of last week I added Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred on the days I am not running (so 3 times per week) and on Sundays I walk 7-10K.

Whenever I have embarked on a weight loss program, I've always had at least a 3-5 pound loss the first week and this time I only lost 1.6 pounds. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day so I'll see how it goes but I know that the number on the scale is not the only result I should be after. I already feel so much better and more fit and some of my clothes definitely feel a little looser. I took my measurements last Saturday so in a few weeks I will check those again.

I am very encouraged by the fact that you lost 15 pounds the first time you did the C25K! We will get there! :) I promise to be patient!

tjkhoover 06-08-2010 03:10 PM

Wow...you are busy every day of the week. Consider taking a day for rest. That is important as well. It gives your muscles a chance to recover and your body to recouperate.

How do you like Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred?

I went over on my calories today....stinks but I will have to start fresh tomorrow. I hate it when I do that. I was just being lazy....no excuses.

mtlgirl 06-08-2010 11:53 PM

I was considering the one day rest per week but my workouts are only 30 minutes long, except for Sunday's powerwalk which is over an hour. I will see how this goes because I do agree that our muscles need a rest, however I'm not working the same muscles every single day. Anyway, last week I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning at 8:15am so that was a forced day of rest because there was no way I'd get up early enough to do a workout before 8:15am!

I love Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The first time I did it I thought it was really HARD and the next day I was incredibly sore but now I don't get sore afterwards and I am finding it a pinch easier. I like it because it incorporates weight training in a fast-paced way by making you lift weights while doing lunges so it's not that boring old iron pumping that I can't stand. It makes me sweat like crazy! And just when I think I am going to collapse it's over. Only 30 minutes but so much is crammed into it!

Don't worry about going over your calories one day. I actually think that it can be a good thing... shakes up the metabolism. And anyway we have to incorporate our sporadic deviations because a very wise person just told me yesterday, "We will get there if we just focus on the lifestyle change and enjoy what we are doing."

I lost one pound this week! Yay! Now I am off to do day 2 of week 3 in the C25K! Have a great day, Everyone!

tjkhoover 06-09-2010 11:03 AM

Wise...LOL your funny!

I am supposed to go for my run today W1D2. I am struggling to get out the door because I had a stressful day and it is hot outside. I think I am going to wait until the sun goes down a little and then just go for it. I always feel better when I do so I just have to make myself a priority....even when I don't feel like it. That sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?!!? I mean I should want to be a priority! LOL

Congratulations on that 1 lb. YEAH YOU!

UPDATE: DID THE RUN...FELT GREAT AFTERWARD!

Luckygir15 06-11-2010 03:06 AM

tjkhoover: Great job on your run!

I just finished W5D3 today!!!!!! OMG I ran for 20 minutes straight!!!!

Actually 12 minutes in, my treadmill at the gym randomly turned off and I had to hop onto the one next to it, but I 'm going to still count my run as a straight 20 minutes.

This is an all time record for me! I am still in shock from actually being able to run for 20 minutes without stopping!

I felt like I needed to share this with all of you. I never thought I would be able to be a runner...this far off dream is starting to feel like it could actually become a reality.

mtlgirl 06-11-2010 11:46 AM

Question for treadmill users...

So I suddenly had to travel to Mexico for work and I am in a hotel with a great gym. Of course I don't want to lose any momentum on my C25K program so I will definitely take to the treadmill tomorrow morning. This may sound like a really dumb question but how do you guys go from walking to running on the treadmill. I have always run outside so I am a newbie to the treadmill. Do I just put it in manual mode and then hike up the speed when it's time to run? If so how do I know how fast to set it?

I hope I don't sound like a dummy! ;)

tjkhoover 06-11-2010 03:22 PM

Luckygirl...exciting isn't it! What a great feeling to know that you are actually a runner. It changes how you feel somehow about what you can do....real confidence booster. Love this program! Congrats.

Mtlgirl....everyone is a little different depending on the shape they are in. I walked at about 3.5 to 3.7 and then when I jogged I would go up anywhere from 4.2 to 5.0. I always tried to finish with an actual run of 7 or 8 for 30 seconds to a minute. But I know some who started walking at what I jogged and just the opposite of some who started at 2.5 walking and jogged at 3.5. You will have to feel it out for yourself. Gauge it by how long it generally takes you to go a mile. If you can walk a mile in 15 minutes then you are a 4.0 walker.

I probably turned that into something more than needed but...hope it helps.