FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Couch to 5K (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/855-couch-5k.html)

crystalwolz 06-11-2010 05:44 PM

treadmills the levels are actually your mph. so at 3-- it is 3mph.
techinically-- 3to 4 is walking and 4.1 to 5.9 is jogging.
running is not until 6. if you know your speed when you run then just run your normal speeds. I do however suggest slowly upping your speed. not just jamming on the up bottom. go up 4 to 5 wait a couple secs and see if you are comfortable.
I love doing speed work on a treadmill and I run outside. but I find that I run slower on the treadmill overall. it might be best just to do some laps around the surrounding neighborhoods instead of being cooped up.

crystalwolz 06-11-2010 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=avelina;12846] I think I'm going to work on running a certain distance as opposed to time, so I'll try to run 5k (which I don't do even in 30 minutes yet!) but attempt to improve my speed each time I do it. I'd be happy with running 5k three times a week, at least for a while. My goals will probably change with time.]

most women don't run a 5k under 30. if you run a 5.0 mile pace you should finish a 5k in approx 36 mins. which is great and not a bad time at a 5k event (meaning you wouldn't be first but not last either)

tjkhoover 06-13-2010 06:08 AM

Well, I was running on the road W1D2....I didn't make it to day 3 simply because I am having some hip bursitis. I did this on the treadmill the last time and it is amazing how different it is. The pounding on the road is so much more.....but I like it out there and I don't have a treadmill anymore so I just am going to have to build myself up...so this may take me a little longer than I wanted but I am going to continue to check in with all of you and keep you up-to-date. I look forward to the day I can actually run 3.11 miles. I am doing the mileage and not the time....so even walking is an accomplishment for me right now. I am pursuing my goals :)

tjkhoover 06-13-2010 06:10 AM

Hey just noticed my signature isn't updating my weight loss....so I did it manually. Is that what everyone has to do or am I having a problem?

mtlgirl 06-16-2010 02:59 AM

Hello C25K members,

I am back from Mexico City and am so proud to say I did not miss a run. I started week 4 on the hotel treadmill and it is so much easier to run on compared to the path in my neighborhood park, which is what I am used to. I was in Mexico for 4 days and completed 2 runs. Thanks for all the advice, Everyone.

This morning I completed day 2 of week 4 and it is defitely getting harder but I LOVE this program. I feel so good.

Jackie, I'm really sorry to hear that your hip is troubling you but again, you inspire me with your positive attitude and your determination. No matter what activity you can do, it's absolutely beneficial to your health. Way to go!

Have a great day, Everyone! :)

Luckygir15 06-16-2010 03:18 AM

Congrats everyone on the awesome good work!!!! I'm so proud of you all!!

I just completed W6D2 today. Not as tough as W5D3, but I am dreading Friday's run of 25 min straight....yikes!

tjkhoover 06-16-2010 10:39 AM

Well, I did my 3.11 miles yesterday and I am going again today. I am sticking with this sight because my ultimate goal is to run that distance. My husband walked with me and couldn't keep up...said that I am almost there. Another week or two of doing the bootcamp workout and pounding the pavement I will start with D1 again.

Congrats mtlgirl and luckygirl....I am excited for both of you. You will be running the full 3 miles in no time at all. :)

avelina 06-17-2010 08:32 AM

Well, I've completed the program. I haven't been on Fitday in almost a week since I haven't been following my eating plan and I've been avoiding having to face the truth here...BUT I am proud to say that I didn't slack off on my running. I am running 30 minutes straight now. Some runs are harder than others and sometimes I'm slow, but I'm doing it. I haven't starting any other training yet, I'm just trying to get through these runs but I'm going to be ready to start increasing my speed in the next week or so. Thanks for all the support, and I'm so proud of all of you. You'll be running 30 minutes in no time too. It all went so fast for me. :)

Luckygir15 06-18-2010 04:27 AM

Just finished W6D3!!!!!!! Yeah!! I feel so pumped right now. I then decided to do my weekly weigh in....down 3.4 pounds this week! I'm feeling so awesome right now!!!!!!

avelina 06-18-2010 05:49 AM

Congrats Luckygirl!! 25 minutes, that's so exciting!

tjkhoover 06-18-2010 09:02 AM

Avelina and Luckygirl....congratulations...huge accomplishments! :o)

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 08:16 AM

I started week 5 today and I feel great! :)

Have an amazing day, Everyone!

tjkhoover 06-21-2010 02:55 PM

W1d1

Susan8Less 06-21-2010 04:55 PM

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan sounds pretty good. But can a 44 year old 100 lbs overweight woman realistically do this?

avelina 06-21-2010 05:47 PM

Hi Susan! I don't know if someone 100 lbs overweight could realistically do the C25K plan, although I think it could be done at 44 years old. If you really want to try it, do the first week and see how you feel. It may be too much with 100 extra pounds. I have about 30 more to lose and it's been okay for me. Let us know if you start, we'll be here cheering you on!

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 11:48 PM

Hi Susan, welcome!

I see that you live in Ontario. Are you familiar with the Running Room? It is a store that sells running gear but they also have running and walking clubs. Before I started the C25K, I had 2 years of walking behind me. I'm not saying you need to walk for 2 years before you can run, but it might be a good idea to do some power walking for a little while to build up the muscles in your legs, especially the ones that support your knees, before you take on running. An injury could take months of expensive physiotherapy to heal. Check out these tips: Power Walking | Walking for Fitness

Like Avelina said, 44 is not a problem. When I was participating in the walking club at the Running Room, there were a couple of members who were way into their 50's and 60's. Some of them were still running while others had switched to walking. It really is a fun activity and you'd be surprised what a workout it will be. I'm not talking about taking a leisurely stroll here. I mean put on your headphones and really go for it! You will experience that amazing runner's high just the same. I got a lot of enjoyment from it, especially walking up the mountain here in Montreal. It's a lot more fun outdoors than on a treadmill.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide! We'll be cheering you on for sure!

mtlgirl 06-21-2010 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by tjkhoover (Post 14051)
W1d1

Way to go, Jackie! ;)

tjkhoover 06-22-2010 03:41 AM

Hi Susan....I was 75 lbs. overweight when I started the first time around. (about a year ago). The road was too difficult but I did manage to do it on a treadmill. I would recommend building your leg strength first by walking at an incline of 10 for 20 minutes a day for several weeks. A personal trainer at the Y showed me this and You will be surprised how fast your leg strength increases and walking seems so much lighter even while being overweight.

As far as C25K....the program is set up for you to work at it and repeat weeks if you need to but also to push you to the next level of fitness. It is an incredible program. It took me 11 weeks to get to level 7. I was running for 25 minutes and couldn't believe it. I would recommend you go slowly and believe in yourself.... as long as you have no other fitness issues like heart problems, etc. You can do it!

:O)

Luckygir15 06-25-2010 05:26 AM

Just completed W7D2. Should have been D3, but life got in the way this week...

Everyone keep up the fantastic work! I know that if I can run 25 minutes straight; anyone can with this program. AMAZING!!!

mtlgirl 06-25-2010 07:04 AM

Holy crap I'm supposed to run for 20 minutes tomorrow? I completed day 2 of week 5 yesterday, and just noticed that next time I run, I am supposed to run for 20 minutes straight. I ran for 8 minutes straight yesterday and thought it was a little hard. How am I supposed to jump to 20 minutes? I'm scared, y'all! :eek:

tjkhoover 06-25-2010 07:35 AM

I am so excited....First, I finished W1 and my time is what impressed me. I finished 3 miles in 35 minutes. I think I surprised the @!** out of myself but I was excited. Then, I have a neighbor who is interested in becoming my running partner. I am going to repeat W1 with her when she starts...I figure it will work out either way.

The only downside to this was that today the upper part of my hip on the right side (the part you would say shows your hip bone in a bikini or something....(haven't seen that in a while...LOL) Anyone else experience this? Not sure if I should be concerned or not.

mtlgirl 06-27-2010 03:40 AM

Way to go, Jackie! Having a partner can be so good for motivation. About your hip, make sure you stretch really well after your run and bathe in epsom salts. If it still hurts put and ice pack on it for 15 minutes after each run. I occasionally get some knee pain on my left side, because I dislocated that knee cap years ago and it's been a little wonky ever since but this usually happens when it's very humid out. If it persists I would check with a physiotherapist.

So I can hardly believe this but I just completed week 5 day 3! This means that I ran for 20 minutes without stopping!!!!! I am so proud of myself! I can't believe I did it! Woohoo!!! :D

tjkhoover 06-27-2010 07:11 AM

Mtlgirl.....it feels great doesn't it! What a milestone....It is the one that lets you know you CAN do it and you have proven it to yourself. Congratulations! I am looking forward to getting there again myself. I cried after that run I was so thrilled with myself. You should be very proud!

mtlgirl 06-27-2010 11:47 AM

Jackie, thank you so much! Your post touched me. I really do feel proud and I definitely got choked up when I realized I was going to do it. It will happen again for you too... before you know it! I am cheering you on!

Susan8Less 06-27-2010 02:01 PM

Hi Fitness Friends!! Just wanted to check in again and let you know that this thread has so inspired me and I did my first walk/run tonight! I'm approx 100lbs overweight so I'm doing a modified version but if I'm consistent and long term with it, I hope to change my life. I have a local 1/4 mile track and so I power walked the first lap then ran about 1/3 of a lap, then power walked, then ran, etc.. for 4 laps. It's a start!!! Glad to be here. This has given me new hope for changing my life.

avelina 06-28-2010 05:05 AM

Hi Susan! Congrats on starting! It doesn't matter if you don't start exactly how the program starts, you are exercising and will work your way up.

Mtlgirl, that first 20 minutes was so hard for me. I remember being nervous about it and by minute 16 I was ready to quit. It really is an accomplishment to get to 20 minutes.

tjkhoover, wow! 3 miles in 35 minutes! That is amazing! My last run was 2.73 miles in 30 minutes at a pace of 5.4, but I haven't been able to run more than 30 minutes in a stretch yet.

Susan8Less 06-28-2010 06:54 AM

Is it okay to walk/run 2 days in a row? I know with weight training they always say to take a day off in between. Is it the same with walk/running? Occasionally my schedule works out that I have 2 days in a row available and I would like to exercise both if that's not a problem.

avelina 06-28-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Susan8Less (Post 14632)
Is it okay to walk/run 2 days in a row? I know with weight training they always say to take a day off in between. Is it the same with walk/running? Occasionally my schedule works out that I have 2 days in a row available and I would like to exercise both if that's not a problem.

I try not to, but if you have to due to your schedule, then do it. I wouldn't make a habit out of it though. My sister-in-law did the C25K at the same time as I did, but she added runs on my off-days. She often couldn't run as far as I could, or had days where she had less energy. Resting is good too, and you can cross-train on those days.

mtlgirl 06-29-2010 12:26 AM

Avelina, you're so right. The first 20 minutes was so daunting for me and I always find the first half harder than the second. I could hardly believe when I looked at the time and saw that I had one minute left. I was in shock. I thought I had like 5 minutes to go. That was a great feeling, knowing I was going to make it.

Susan I agree with Avelina, I would try to avoid running two days in a row. Your body, especially your knees, really need the rest from running. If you want to exercise 2 days in a row, try to do something different on the second day. I've gotten amazing results from Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. It's a 20-minute workout and it is jam packed with exercises that produce really noticeable results. I've been doing this 3Xweek on the days I am not running. Also, welcome to our little club and best of luck with your training! :)

Susan8Less 06-29-2010 01:30 PM

Hi Fitness Friends!

I skipped a day and did my second walk/run today. It's tough sledding for me since I haven't run for years and I'm carrying so many extra pounds but I'm able to do 1k power walking that includes 3 x 100 metres of running. The walking park is a breeze and I'm getting better at breathing to make the 100 metre stretches. Looking forward to making some slow progress!

avelina 07-03-2010 08:36 AM

Bad news for me, I fell of a trampoline on Thursday and injured my back. My chiropractor thinks a rib may be cracked. My running will be on hold till I feel better, so I may have to go back a few weeks on the c25k. Very disappointing.

mtlgirl 07-03-2010 10:48 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, Avelina! I hope you heal quickly and I hope you aren't in too much pain. You have been so great about the c25k. You did the whole program without having to repeat a single week. With that under your belt, even if you need to go back a few weeks when you're ready to run again, you will be back to running 5k before you know it and it might be fun to revisit the process. I personally think the program is quite exciting.

Get well soon!

mtlgirl 07-05-2010 07:45 AM

Well I had to repeat day 2 of week 6 this morning. There was just no way I was going to able to run for 25 minutes non-stop. It's about 1000 degrees here today and it was hard enough to run 2 sets of 10 minute runs. I have never sweat so much in my life. I must have drank at least 3 litres of water today. It's freaking HOT!

ghostkrashers 07-05-2010 03:39 PM

Wow, this is amazing. I just looked at it and it really... inspires... me. I'm making an acount right now.

mtlgirl 07-12-2010 04:02 AM

WOW! I ran for 25 minutes continuously this morning! I just completed week 6 day 3 so from now on I am running without walking until I reach the ultimate goal of running 30 minutes continuously. I had to repeat days 1 & 2 of week 6 because I wasn't ready to run the 25 mins during the heat wave. It's still pretty damn hot out but today I felt ready and I did it! I can't tell you all how good it feels. Just 7 weeks ago I could barely run for 1 minute and now look at me!

I hope everyone is enjoying this program as much as I am! I hope you all feel as proud of yourselves as I do! :)

tjkhoover 07-12-2010 07:31 AM

Congrat mtlgirl....I knew you could do it! How exciting and I bet you are just beaming knowing that you are running continuously now from nothing only a few weeks back.

I am starting again tonight with a running buddy who is just as excited as I am. I guess I am calling this "again" W1D1... :O)

mtlgirl 07-12-2010 09:11 AM

Thanks tjkhoover! I am really happy today! If I can do it anyone can.

Incidentally I started the c25k program back in April but didn't get past week 3 so this was my second time around. In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that you enjoy it and you feel amazing getting fit! You can do it!! :)

tjkhoover 07-12-2010 12:48 PM

Well....we did W1D1...jogged for distance not time so we did a grand total of 3.25 miles with a warm up and cool down. We felt great...and it was definitely neat to have someone along side of you pushing when you might have quit a few steps short. I am so excited about beginning and look forward to the next run :) Celebrating!

m330 07-13-2010 05:40 AM

Syleris 07-13-2010 05:16 PM

Hey guys. After a ten year relationship ending and me feeling like crap, I've finally decided to get in shape and feel better about myself. I've already been running/walking for a few days now. I generally run until I need to stop and then walk until my heart rate and breathing go back down a bit. Tomorrow, though, I'm starting this and I'm super excited. I was wondering if there was any benefit to running more than 3 days per week. Plus if anyone wants to be my buddy, I'd welcome it.