FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/5034-team-fitday-running-walking-club.html)

sw07 08-27-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55093)
sw07, how long have you been running and what is a typical week you're currently doing?

Getting under 20:00 will require a good amount of interval training as the 5K is a very anaerobic event.

You still might need higher mileage as your performance above the 5K drops off.
This calculator predicts a 36:37/5 mile and a 45:55/10K based on your 5K.

I've been running competitively for over a year now and I was averaging 15-25 miles a week prior to injuries I had in mid May. I took 5 weeks off to recover and I'm now slowly increasing my miles. I'm currently at about 12-20 per week now. I keep track with the runnersworld training log. I realize 5k's are very anaerobic- I felt it today, but I would eventually like to step up to 10k's and I plan on doing a 1/2 next March. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RunbikeSki 08-27-2011 10:11 AM

SW that is a great time given the weather and the field. It's over 105 in the south, I am guessing that Sac is much cooler :eek:. It might be that having such a competitive field elevated your run a bit more than you realized. (Unless you found it demoralizing - which doesn't seem like you).

A 7:10 pace??? OMG I can only dream of such a thing. I believe you can sub-20, but it will take a lot of dedication and maybe a couple less races as you focus on the train regiment.

As handcycle2005 suggests, you might think about adding the intervals into your routine. (You might already be doing them, and I am just not aware of it, however).

Or you could keep on just having fun :p

handcycle2005 08-27-2011 10:12 AM

sw07, those are good 5K times you're running off low mileage. 20:00 is quite realistic.

Once a week, do a long run. Pick a one day a week and add 1 mile every 2-3 weeks until you're up to 8-9 miles. Hold at that point, pick a day halfway between long runs and add 1 mile per week up to 6 miles.
Long run at easy pace, midweek run at steady state pace.

Intervals.

workout 1

2x1200m@current 5K race pace(5:22-5:27) jog 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x800m at goal 5K race pace jog(3:10-3:15) 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x 400m@ faster than goal 5K race pace(1:28-1:30)jog 400m recovery in between

workout 2

3x1000/200 combo(1000m@5K goal pace, jog 200, 200@ faster than 5Kgoal pace) 1000 in 4:00, 200 in :43-:45
Jog 600m in between

If running long Sat or Sun, do these workouts Tu/Thu.

Same long runs as above but you can add repeats to the interval workouts.

1/2 marathon

No intervals, two tempo runs per week 20-25 min. each.
1 long run per week of 10 miles or more. Preferably more if possible up to 15 at an easy pace.

Easy, steady state, tempo paces are given in the calculator I linked to above.

Good luck.

RunbikeSki 08-27-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55001)
Tempo should not be comfortable, more just over the border of comfortable/uncomfortable so you did it right.

You might want to cut the tempo back to 20-25 min. Your planned 10K pace is very close to your tempo pace and a 3 mile run is a bit long.

Thanks HC, I'll keep the time in mind. If I had completed the tempo a the prescibed pace it would have been just under 27 minutes.

BTW, "comfortable hard" for me is when I have to start making deals with myself to finish the last 1/4 of the run on pace. "Ok Pam, just make it to the next gate", "Now that wasn't so hard, now let's make it to that telephone pole". "Well done, and now the end is in sight and you can stop when you get there!" A comfortable run means I still had another mile or 2 left in the tank. ;)

lastri 08-27-2011 12:24 PM

Hc, runbikeski, SW07. What is your suggestion if I don't have a court, or somewhere to measure the distant. (1200m), Can I use the time instead? Like 2 minutes fast and 1 minutes jog to recovery.
Mai

handcycle2005 08-27-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 55109)
Hc, runbikeski, SW07. What is your suggestion if I don't have a court, or somewhere to measure the distant. (1200m), Can I use the time instead? Like 2 minutes fast and 1 minutes jog to recovery.
Mai

Absolutely. Just work out the approximate time and figure half that time for recovery.

Also, Google Earth has a measuring tool that is very accurate.

Added: Some of the Timex Ironman watches have multi-interval countdown timers and the Garmin Forerunner GPS watches have a number of workout options you can set up.

RunbikeSki 08-27-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 55109)
Mai

The average city block in DC is 0.1 mile on each side (roughly .16 km). So if you live near a nice square block you could run around the block 4 times for a distance of 0.4 mile or 0.64km.

sw07 08-29-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55098)
sw07, those are good 5K times you're running off low mileage. 20:00 is quite realistic.

Once a week, do a long run. Pick a one day a week and add 1 mile every 2-3 weeks until you're up to 8-9 miles. Hold at that point, pick a day halfway between long runs and add 1 mile per week up to 6 miles.
Long run at easy pace, midweek run at steady state pace.

Intervals.

workout 1

2x1200m@current 5K race pace(5:22-5:27) jog 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x800m at goal 5K race pace jog(3:10-3:15) 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x 400m@ faster than goal 5K race pace(1:28-1:30)jog 400m recovery in between

workout 2

3x1000/200 combo(1000m@5K goal pace, jog 200, 200@ faster than 5Kgoal pace) 1000 in 4:00, 200 in :43-:45
Jog 600m in between

If running long Sat or Sun, do these workouts Tu/Thu.

Same long runs as above but you can add repeats to the interval workouts.

1/2 marathon

No intervals, two tempo runs per week 20-25 min. each.
1 long run per week of 10 miles or more. Preferably more if possible up to 15 at an easy pace.

Easy, steady state, tempo paces are given in the calculator I linked to above.

Good luck.

Thanks HC, I'm going to print this out and start a training routine.
It's kinda funny how I stated running to keep the my weight in check and now it's going to the next level.....

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 55097)
SW that is a great time given the weather and the field. It's over 105 in the south, I am guessing that Sac is much cooler :eek:. It might be that having such a competitive field elevated your run a bit more than you realized. (Unless you found it demoralizing - which doesn't seem like you).

A 7:10 pace??? OMG I can only dream of such a thing. I believe you can sub-20, but it will take a lot of dedication and maybe a couple less races as you focus on the train regiment.

As handcycle2005 suggests, you might think about adding the intervals into your routine. (You might already be doing them, and I am just not aware of it, however).

Or you could keep on just having fun :p

Thanks Pam and yes it is a little cooler up here- mid to high 90's during the day and the morning temps are in the 60's, perfect AM running weather.

And yes, you're right about the elevated field competition- I felt that I did start out way too fast, but I had to get around the kids, strollers and slower zig zagging runners in order to get my comfort zone, but that never happened. I just went ballz out and kept trying to pass people:D
Once I hit the 3 mile mark and the last straight away was in sight, I had a an amazing foot race to the finish with a little 15yr girl and she beat me by a 1 second :mad: That's ok tho, it was fun pushing myself that hard in the 1/8 mile.

I do need to add intervals to my routine and I should cut back on the races- they're just so much fun tho....I've also got a 5k trail race this Saturday, I'm wondering what kinda of time I'll get on that race.

I also had a nice long morning run today, did 5.90 miles before work- felt great

handcycle2005 08-29-2011 05:58 AM

sw, a slight correction to the 10K work-do the 1200s at 10K goal pace, the other repeats the same as stated, increase to 3 of each distance.

Your racing schedule does not look too extreme though when you want to go for a PR, you should look for smaller races. Less crowds to weave through.

General rule of thumb for race recovery: 1 day per mile of racing before racing all out again, 2 days per racing mile to fully recover and keep racing at that level for long term.

Example: you could race 2 5Ks in a week but if you have 5 or 6 races, they should be a week apart.

sw07 08-29-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55257)
sw, a slight correction to the 10K work-do the 1200s at 10K goal pace, the other repeats the same as stated, increase to 3 of each distance.

Your racing schedule does not look too extreme though when you want to go for a PR, you should look for smaller races. Less crowds to weave through.

General rule of thumb for race recovery: 1 day per mile of racing before racing all out again, 2 days per racing mile to fully recover and keep racing at that level for long term.

Example: you could race 2 5Ks in a week but if you have 5 or 6 races, they should be a week apart.

Oh, that's good info to know regarding recovery...so running almost 6 miles this morning probably wasn't a good idea then....I also walked a large car show yesterday- maybe 4 miles at a leisurely pace.....shoot, I guess an afternoon bike ride would be pushing it.

handcycle2005 08-29-2011 06:46 AM

Think of training runs as putting money in the bank. As you make deposits ( miles), your account (fitness) grows.
Racing all-out is like making withdrawls. Too many withdrawls and you write a check your body can't cash.

Your long run this morning was fine.

sw07 08-29-2011 07:06 AM

Great analogy, Thanks

lastri 08-29-2011 08:30 AM

HC and Pam, Thanks for the info.

I need to be more discipline though.
Mai

dear_abby 08-30-2011 07:26 AM

Nuts and bolts about my first 5K

So, it might just be on Labor day - here's what I'm considering.

Bad Habit Productions 5K

Now, I will be arriving by city bus (I don't drive), I'll be alone - so I won't have a car to use as a locker. I figure I will need to bring -

1) a little money
2) ID
3) keys (although I could rely on dh to let me back in the house) - I can just carry one key, so it won't be my giant flappy key ring.
4) bus pass

For the above, I think I'll need some sort of wallet that I can wear around my neck, but won't flap too much. Does someone know the perfect one?

If I'd have places to store things I'd take more, like extra water, change of socks for afterwards, bandaids, and other no value things - is it likely there will be some place to stow stuff if I'm not uptight about losing it? (like under the sign in table?)

Is there something you always wish you brought?

this sort of tiny planning will make me more likely to get it done....

Abby

RunbikeSki 08-30-2011 12:14 PM

Abby,
That sounds like a great race! Lots of fun!

As far as things to take or store. Pare down you keys to a single door key. You may need ID to pick up your race number. If you can pick up your number before the race, all of your ID info will be on your registration associated with your number and you may not need any further ID.

A little cash is always a good idea and of course your bus pass.

I do not recommend putting anything around your neck! I have visions of decapitation :eek:. There are waist belts made for just that sort of thing. You can tie your key into your shoe laces (practice first, but I do this all the time.) I also have a couple pairs of shorts with smallish zipper pockets at the back of the short, just under the waistband. It is just the right size for an ID, credit card and/or bus pass. One of the pairs is a Nike, not sure who made the other one.

Races will often have a spot to stash extra clothes or a satchel. You might contact the race director ahead of time and ask. In smaller races it is just at the registration table. Don't leave anything valuable, but change of shoes, or a fresh t-shirt always makes the trip back home a little more comfortable.

There should be lots of water, and snacks available after the race so you shouldn't need to worry about that.

dear_abby 08-31-2011 12:00 AM

Thanks Pam, decapitation would really cut into my time, so I'll try for a waist band arrangement.

How much before the race is a prudent arrival? "They" say one hour, but that seems like a lot of time to warm up and get stressed.

Abby

handcycle2005 08-31-2011 01:40 AM

I always tried to arrive at least an hour early, sometimes more depending on driving distance. It made for less stress over worrying about possible delays.

Gives plenty of time to park, check in and start getting the mind prepared.

A good warmup should take at least 15-20 minutes.

dear_abby 08-31-2011 03:35 AM

getting closer, I think I'll actually do this..

I've got the best hubby in the world...

I didn't want to ask him to drive me, running is my thing, and not driving is also my thing, so I try not to be needy, but he said "of course I'll take you over, I want to see you cross the finish line".

So, between him and you guys, I think I might as well put my fee down now!

Abby

handcycle2005 08-31-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55458)

I didn't want to ask him to drive me, running is my thing, and not driving is also my thing, so I try not to be needy, but he said "of course I'll take you over, I want to see you cross the finish line".

Abby

Since you will have a place to store your stuff and change, here's what I always had packed for race day.

Short sleeve t-shirt(for after the race)
Long sleeve t-shirt (for after the race)
short sleeve t-shirt(wicking material, for under racing top)
Long sleeve t-shirt (wicking material, for under racing top)
Tights
Gloves
Fleece headband
Wool hat
Extra socks
Thermal underwear-top and bottom
Sweat suit, heavy cotton in cold, nylon shell in hot weather.
Racing shoes

First Aid

3" Ace bandage
2" Ace bandage
box of assorted adhesive bandages
2-chemical cold packs
Neosporin
Anti-itch cream
Aspirin
Tylenol

Little bit of fashion advice-wearing the race t-shirt before finishing the race is slightly gauche ;)(though many people are unaware of this and no one will be rude enough to mention it). This custom probably started with marathons where it's felt you have to earn the right to wear the shirt and filtered down to the shorter races.

VitoVino 08-31-2011 04:51 AM

Speaking of marathons, it's probably a good idea to carry some vaseline in the first aid kit. I've never run one, just heard this...

sw07 08-31-2011 04:54 AM

That's quite a list HC. I definitely take the minimalist stance on race day (depending on the length of race), my list refers to summer racing.

I'll load up a small ice chest with a few bottled waters and a pack of blue ice (in case of injury)

Maybe a pair of flip flops- only if I plan on hanging out after the race (usually for the raffles afterwards or if there's entertainment)

A fresh towel,and I'm usually out of there once the preliminary race results are posted.

handcycle2005 08-31-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 55469)
That's quite a list HC. I definitely take the minimalist stance on race day (depending on the length of race), my list refers to summer racing.

I'll load up a small ice chest with a few bottled waters and a pack of blue ice (in case of injury)

Maybe a pair of flip flops- only if I plan on hanging out after the race (usually for the raffles afterwards or if there's entertainment)

A fresh towel,and I'm usually out of there once the preliminary race results are posted.

My bag was packed year round, less worry on race day that something was forgotten.

I would only drink one bottle of water while traveling to the race, no need to wait in line for the Porta-Potti.

After, it was part of race day to eat somewhere on the way home so I rarely carried food supplies.

RunbikeSki 08-31-2011 07:19 AM

Aww that's sweet

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55458)

Abby

Running in my thing, not my DH's too. But really love it when he comes to a race. It isn't often when he does, but knowing he'll be at the finish line is always a special treat.

Since you will a support vehicle, I definitely recommend flip-flops or soft sandles. You'll want to let you dogs breath and have something cushy for the soles of you feet after all that pounding.

So when are ya going to register???

RunbikeSki 08-31-2011 07:24 AM

Second tempo

Today's went a little better than last week, although I really wasn't into it when set out this morning:
1 mile easy
2 mile tempo target @ 8:55
1 mile easy
2 mile tempo target @ 8:55
1 mile (actually because of the course 1.75) easy/cool down

First 2 miles: 8:47
Second: 8:37 (mostly because the first half is a lovely slight downhill)

Next week is a 4 day backpacking trip into the Sierras so lots of leg work, but not much running.

dear_abby 08-31-2011 09:26 AM

I have done the deed...

You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K

------
DH suggested I register day of, noting that $4 wasn't much to lose as the gamble (that's the difference between advance and day of), but, I wanted to be able to post that I registered. They threw a $3.95 "processing fee", so there is no reason not to register day of...

HC thank you for your fashion advice! I note you write about racing only in the past tense, is it no more for you?

Pam, sounds like quite a training!

Abby

sw07 08-31-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55493)
You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K

WoooHooo! Good Luck!

handcycle2005 08-31-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55493)
You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K

------
DH suggested I register day of, noting that $4 wasn't much to lose as the gamble (that's the difference between advance and day of), but, I wanted to be able to post that I registered. They threw a $3.95 "processing fee", so there is no reason not to register day of...

HC thank you for your fashion advice! I note you write about racing only in the past tense, is it no more for you?

Pam, sounds like quite a training!

Abby

I was hit while bicycling to work back in mid-2004, hence the screen name.

I can walk short distances with a cane but my running days are over.

Looks like you picked a good 5K. Best of luck.

dear_abby 09-01-2011 12:09 AM

Handycycle, great to have your support - I hope we can vicariously run for you!

Abby

handcycle2005 09-01-2011 02:22 AM

Thanks, I enjoy still being able to advise. I coach(assistant) track/cross-country at a local high school and have become an unofficial coach on a couple of other message boards.

VitoVino 09-02-2011 06:34 AM

My update to this thread

Well, I didn't hit 160 before I started jogging again, like I said I was going to do, but my weight loss has been slowing down and I feel like I'm not burning calories like I was with my mountain biking. Yesterday I biked for over 2 hours, with just a short break at the halfway point, and I feel like I didn't get much of a workout. I average about 13 mph since it's a flat rail to trail..

So today I walked/jogged for 1 hour. My body was telling me I was ready to run again since my achilles tendons seem to have healed, and for the first time in a long time, when I've been walking around food shopping I have a "pop" to my step, a lightness that I haven't had in a very long time. So 164 lbs. or not, today I was going to do some running!

I felt really good. Breathing while running was still not great, but I felt light on my feet and I finally didn't feel like I had this hand grabbing the back of my shirt pulling me backwards as I ran. I'd run for a few minutes, then walk briskly. I did this for an hour, and now that it's done, it's obvious that I can start increasing my run time. No more achilles problem!

handcycle2005 09-02-2011 06:39 AM

Just because an injury is no longer hurting doesn't mean it's fully healed. There needs to be some "toughening up" time for the new tissue.
Take it easy on increasing your run time for at least a couple of weeks.

Otherwise, that's good news.

VitoVino 09-02-2011 07:04 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate that advice, hc! I didn't know that, so that will keep me straight for sure.

I wasn't planning on going "gonzo" running, but I tend to push myself sometimes too quickly. I've been training VERY easy and slowly increasing my intensity with the bike. My biking has finally returned to a good condition that I recognize to be as the "beginning stages of decent shape" so I'm increasing that intensity without too much worry.

My running on the other hand has come from "near deaths door" to the "just fat and out of shape" category. I have a long way to go before I can consider my progress at the "beginning stages of decent shape" when it comes to running. So I have no plans BUT to take it very easy for the next few weeks, and I'll certainly be keeping close tabs on the achilles.

dear_abby 09-02-2011 08:44 AM

VitoVino, once you start running, going gonzo is appealing....so listen to the wise man...

As for me, I'm a little kid who's excited by, but nervous about the first day of school - I haven't laid out my clothes three times, but, I brought home my good shoes from the Y, and find myself hoping the other runners are nice, and I can find the check in table...and I can finish with a happy time (don't really care what it is!). I actually dreamed about the race last night!

RunbikeSki 09-02-2011 12:46 PM

Abby,
I am so pleased that you are so excited about the race. I know just what you mean by being worried about finding the registration/pick-up table (and a hundred other little things) it seems to me to just be a natural reaction to a new thing. Don't worry about the other runners... 99% of them will be wonderful people - just like you. Most will have the same anxieties and hopes you do, so definitely say hi, or ask for directions, or provide some help.

I know you will be soooo jazzed when you cross that finish line!

VitoVino 09-03-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55634)
VitoVino, once you start running, going gonzo is appealing....so listen to the wise man...

I agree. It's more like a return for me. It's just been a long time. But I do miss that runner's high.

The plan is to stick to going 4 miles, walking/jogging. Yesterday I did it in 1:02, today was 56 minutes. The plan is to gradually decrease this finish time by increasing the amount of running time. I plan to spread this out over the next few weeks, gradually making the workouts more intense.

If I get to the point where I feel like I'm pushing it too much and need a break, I'll switch back to the mountain bike (right now I'm giving that a rest).

Good luck on your race!

sw07 09-03-2011 06:21 AM

Just got back from another 5k race, this one was a cross country trail run- lots of hills, uneven ground, rocks & tree roots- friggin awesome :D

I ran a 23:09 / 7:28 pace- not bad considering the terrain, I also came in 2nd for my age div- woohoo! I even came home with a Medal:D
Very small field though....total participants was 56.

The race was put on by a local running club which also had a Men's & Women's
7k race- there was some very dedicated XC runners.

Abby- try not to be too nervous or worry about your time, just have fun. Its a great feeling to here your name announced when you cross the finish line- good luck!

01gt4.6 09-03-2011 06:43 AM

I have my 1/2 marathon tomorrow and decided to do some training today. It didn't turn out well, 2 miles of misery.

handcycle2005 09-03-2011 06:45 AM

sw, compared to your road 5K, that's a very good time. Cross-country rules!

gt, I hope you're going to skip the half.

sw07 09-03-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 55673)
I have my 1/2 marathon tomorrow and decided to do some training today. It didn't turn out well, 2 miles of misery.

Sorry to hear that Mike,are you still gonna try to do what you can? Maybe you sit it out and get healed up...that sux bro.

Thanks HC, the hills were a little tough, but I logged 20 miles since Monday and felt pretty good on race day.

01gt4.6 09-03-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 55676)
Sorry to hear that Mike,are you still gonna try to do what you can? Maybe you sit it out and get healed up...that sux bro.

Thanks HC, the hills were a little tough, but I logged 20 miles since Monday and felt pretty good on race day.

LOL try to do what I can? He'll no, I'm goin to finish it. It's only 13.1 miles, I'm going to dust the people from Kenya too. Well the last statement was a lie, the rest is true though.