FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/5034-team-fitday-running-walking-club.html)

RunbikeSki 09-03-2011 01:41 PM

Good luck Mike!

When you get back "we" need to help you solve your blister issues. Sore feet after 13 miles is to be expected, but you really shouldn't be experienceing the blistering problem you are.

I hope the weather holds and you have an awesome day :p.

Well done SW.... 2nd in your age is a nice totem. I have to admit that I really do like the smaller races.

HC, Mike is a walker - a really fast walker and about as obstinate as swamp water. So I am sure he'll do the 1/2, hell or high water (which, by the way, is becoming much more of a reality than I am comfortable with!)

handcycle2005 09-03-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 55695)
When you get back "we" need to help you solve your blister issues. Sore feet after 13 miles is to be expected, but you really shouldn't be experienceing the blistering problem you are.

I hope he gets through it OK, I've seen too many injuries made much worse by being stubborn at the wrong time.

(I assume he's having trouble with the back injury he mentioned upthread.)

Mike, describe your blisters, there's a number of reasons but clues can narrow it down.

01gt4.6 09-03-2011 02:25 PM

The blisters aren't bad this time, the biggest is a little bigger than a pencil eraser. Not of them are "water" blister. Just a litle air in them. I hope they don't get worse. I have body glide and moleskin to help me out.

As for my back, as long as I walk it my back should be okay. I think the pounding from jogging would probably set me back. I'm going to take an Aleve before the race to help with inflammation and I have a Lidoderm patch for my back.

I also bought a TENS machine to help me out for any after race pain.

handcycle2005 09-03-2011 02:31 PM

Blisters are not normal and whatever is causing them needs correcting. Where on your foot are they developing?

Both feet or only one?

01gt4.6 09-03-2011 09:52 PM

Just left, on front inside ball.

handcycle2005 09-04-2011 12:18 AM

OK, several possibilities.

Crown of the road.
Check the inside of the shoe for a seam.
Almost everyone's feet are different sizes though not enough to be a problem. You may have enough of a size difference to make shoe fit a problem.
Your left foot pronates more, check the sole wear pattern.

Do you wear socks? There are double layer socks for the blister-prone.
Don't wear cotton socks.

01gt4.6 09-04-2011 12:22 AM

Mile 4. 13.42 pace

micklyons 09-04-2011 07:18 AM

Wow! You guys really accomplish some great goals! When I started reading this thread my main goal was to just get back into the routine of a daily walk with my dog and hopefully hubby. Sounds like I need to think about setting my sights a bit higher! : )

I've started wearing my pedometer to work again, and Friday it said I logged just over 5 miles. It was an 8 hour day of being on my feet, but it seemed excessive, so I might need to re-set it. Although my walk this morning logged in at about 2 miles, and that did seem about right...

01gt4.6 09-04-2011 07:21 AM

I finished the 1/2 in 3:03. No change in my blisters, around mile 10 it felt like the were getting worse but the weren't.

handcycle2005 09-04-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by micklyons (Post 55745)
Wow! You guys really accomplish some great goals! When I started reading this thread my main goal was to just get back into the routine of a daily walk with my dog and hopefully hubby. Sounds like I need to think about setting my sights a bit higher! : )

I've started wearing my pedometer to work again, and Friday it said I logged just over 5 miles. It was an 8 hour day of being on my feet, but it seemed excessive, so I might need to re-set it. Although my walk this morning logged in at about 2 miles, and that did seem about right...

What kind of pedometer do you have? The mechanical types only measure the number of strides and can't adjust for stride length.

Walking outdoors on level ground makes it easier to maintain a consistent stride.

handcycle2005 09-04-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 55746)
I finished the 1/2 in 3:03. No change in my blisters, around mile 10 it felt like the were getting worse but the weren't.

Always a good day to meet a goal despite problems. Thumbs up!

lastri 09-04-2011 11:18 AM

I log in 4 miles this morning, my long run.
Lately I have a problem with my left heel. It hurts when I walk, especially in the morning right after get out of bed or when I sitting for a while. However, that heel doesn't bother me when I run. But I got shin fling. After less than 1/2 mile, my shin very hot and hurt. I stop and stretch, after another mile I stretch again. Then after 2 miles I feel better and run the rest of the way. But it was hard. I constantly cheer myself up. Come on Mai, you gotta do this. You can, just reach to that lamp post over there.... ughgh

01gt4.6 09-04-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55713)
OK, several possibilities.

Crown of the road.
Check the inside of the shoe for a seam.
Almost everyone's feet are different sizes though not enough to be a problem. You may have enough of a size difference to make shoe fit a problem.
Your left foot pronates more, check the sole wear pattern.

Do you wear socks? There are double layer socks for the blister-prone.
Don't wear cotton socks.

I run on the outer front edge of both feet. I'm using Nike dry fit running socks. They are cotton but the look porous like wicken socks.

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55752)
Always a good day to meet a goal despite problems. Thumbs up!

Thanks a lot. Next time I'll do much better.

handcycle2005 09-04-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 55769)
I log in 4 miles this morning, my long run.
Lately I have a problem with my left heel. It hurts when I walk, especially in the morning right after get out of bed or when I sitting for a while. However, that heel doesn't bother me when I run. But I got shin fling. After less than 1/2 mile, my shin very hot and hurt. I stop and stretch, after another mile I stretch again. Then after 2 miles I feel better and run the rest of the way. But it was hard. I constantly cheer myself up. Come on Mai, you gotta do this. You can, just reach to that lamp post over there.... ughgh

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. Is the pain on the bottom of your heel?

Ice, NSAIDs, roll a golf ball(rolling pin, baby food jar) under your arch.

Stretch your calves.

For the shins: tap the shin bone near the knee and near the ankle. If that does not make it hurt, proceed for shin splints.

If it does hurt, see your doctor.

Again with the ice and NSAIDS.

For both of these you need to find alternative activities to give the injuries a chance to start healing for at least 2 weeks.

lastri 09-05-2011 05:31 AM

HC, Thanks for all the advice. I will try out.
"For the shins: tap the shin bone near the knee and near the ankle. "
Shin splints: can you be a bit clearer. what I should tap with? When should I tap it?

My race is in 4 weeks. Will I have enough time to train if I take 2 weeks off? I am kind of worry about that. Is biking a good alternative?
Thanks, Mai

handcycle2005 09-05-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 55815)
HC, Thanks for all the advice. I will try out.
"For the shins: tap the shin bone near the knee and near the ankle. "
Shin splints: can you be a bit clearer. what I should tap with? When should I tap it?

My race is in 4 weeks. Will I have enough time to train if I take 2 weeks off? I am kind of worry about that. Is biking a good alternative?
Thanks, Mai

Just tap with your fingers. When doesn't matter, if it's shin splints they won't hurt. Stress fractures are usually more or less mid-bone, tapping anywhere on the bone will hurt.

Don't worry about your performance, fixing this is more important long term.

You won't lose any fitness as long as you cross train.

Cycling is a fine alternative. So is swimming and water running.

dear_abby 09-05-2011 06:55 AM

My first 5k

29 minutes, 34 seconds - I was at the back of the fast people, and felt great.

Mai, think long term, if this race isn't right, don't ruin yourself for the next one!

handcycle2005 09-05-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55819)
29 minutes, 34 seconds - I was at the back of the fast people, and felt great.

Mai, think long term, if this race isn't right, don't ruin yourself for the next one!

Very good for your first.

VitoVino 09-05-2011 08:08 AM

Way to go, dear abby!

http://www.kaboose.com/features/pott...r_youDidIt.gif

lastri 09-05-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by handcycle2005 (Post 55817)
Just tap with your fingers. When doesn't matter, if it's shin splints they won't hurt. Stress fractures are usually more or less mid-bone, tapping anywhere on the bone will hurt.

Don't worry about your performance, fixing this is more important long term.

You won't lose any fitness as long as you cross train.

Cycling is a fine alternative. So is swimming and water running.

Thanks, I tapped them and they are not hurt, so it's good news right?
I will do cycling now and swim ( I am not really a good swimmer).
Thank again,
Mai

lastri 09-05-2011 10:15 AM

Abby, that's a great time for your first race.
Congratulation!

I think I will give my legs some rest.
Thanks, Mai

dear_abby 09-06-2011 02:54 AM

Mike - congrats on your 1/2 Marathon, I can't imagine keeping going that long.

Mai, glad to see you taking care of this - getting fit should not be about getting more hurt.

HC - great to have your steady wisdom.

I have to update my time:
I'm sure it said 29 34 when I crossed the finish line, but I show up on line at 29 49 - so - 15 seconds slower, but I'll consider my on-line posted time as the official one and the one to beat. I was in the lower half way in many measures - number 6 of 11 in my age group, number 58 our of 97 racers. Lower than the mean, but not by a lot.

I can't believe I find my name on the results page!

Abby

sw07 09-06-2011 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55883)
I have to update my time:
I'm sure it said 29 34 when I crossed the finish line, but I show up on line at 29 49 - so - 15 seconds slower, but I'll consider my on-line posted time as the official one and the one to beat. I was in the lower half way in many measures - number 6 of 11 in my age group, number 58 our of 97 racers. Lower than the mean, but not by a lot.

I can't believe I find my name on the results page!

Abby

Congrats on the race!

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 55746)

Congrats Mike!

01gt4.6 09-06-2011 06:16 AM

Thanks Abby, congrats to you as well.

sw07 09-06-2011 03:50 PM

Aww crap! Tough weekend for the feets....after my Sat race, went to Home Depot to get some 4'x8'x3/4" particle board to re-do my bathroom floor, and ended up bouncing the sheet of PB off of my right toe-Ouch!

Damn...Ok, whatever, I can deal with it, nothing broken, just a lil bruising....then I hurt my lower back moving the 3/4" pb around....damn, strike2......

Then, today, I stub my lil toe on my air compressor- hella blood everywhere and a super sore lil toe on the same foot that had the 4'x8' PB bounce off it a couple of days earlier... shoot, and I got a race next Sunday.
The trifeca of pain is making it hard to train for my next race....it's all good tho...:D ..what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger...at least that's what they say...

handcycle2005 09-06-2011 04:04 PM

sw, not to worry, even a week's down time won't affect your fitness. You will actually gain a small amount as you recover from your training.

In 1964, Abebe Bikila( Olympic Marathon Champ-1960,1964) underwent an emergency appendectomy five weeks before the 1964 Games.

He won the Marathon in world record time, four minutes, eight seconds ahead of the second place finisher.

01gt4.6 09-06-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks sw! Sorry to hear about the toes. Man you have ran some races for 2011. That's crazy, by the end of the year your signature will take up 1/2 a page. :D

Btw sorry for the late response, some how I missed your reply. I must be blind.

sw07 09-06-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 55942)
Thanks sw! Sorry to hear about the toes. Man you have ran some races for 2011. That's crazy, by the end of the year your signature will take up 1/2 a page. :D

Btw sorry for the late response, some how I missed your reply. I must be blind.

Thanks Mike,and no,you didn't miss my response, I thought I had responded to your accomplishment, but went back and saw that I had I didn't. I had to give credit where credit was due, you did good on your 1/2 considering the situation- big props to you.
I also plan on "trimming " down my sig real soon....

HC, thanks again for the words of encouragement, it's much appreciated. There's a time & place to wear flip flops, and Home Depot is not the place when handling heavy lumber products:eek:

dear_abby 09-07-2011 12:09 AM

SW - sounds like you need a toe truck! (Sorry). The person who said "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" never heard of maiming.

Please keep your long signature, it is inspiring.

Abby

sw07 09-08-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 55956)
SW - sounds like you need a toe truck! (Sorry). The person who said "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" never heard of maiming.

Please keep your long signature, it is inspiring.

Abby

Lol @ the toe truck joke..

I'll keep my sig where it's at, cuz I also ran outta room.
I was gonna shorten it because I didn't wanna come off as a pompous overachiever....:p

micklyons 09-08-2011 06:14 AM

The pedometer is a $5 digital from Walmart. It measures steps or distance. On Sunday when I took the dog for a walk, we got approximately 2 miles, and that is about right, so I guess maybe I do walk back and forth that much. I am not sure how going up or down stairs affect the pedometer. Maybe I should count steps instead?

RunbikeSki 09-08-2011 08:51 AM

Better late than never

HI All.

Abby, that's a great time! It seems like most people shoot for under 30 min. for their first 5K and you achieved that goal. I know exactly how you feel about seeing your name in the results. Somehow it just makes it so much more real. Make sure you save that paper! It'll come in handy when you need a little inspiration. :D.

Mike, great job on the 1/2 mara! 3:03 is super. I remember you once noting that you weren't much of a runner, but you sure could walk fast! And you proved that.

SW, maybe god, or the universe was trying to tell you something :rolleyes:. Sorry to see your injuries, but as our resident coach points out, a little rest might be beneficial in the long run.

HC, your advise and suggestions are so great. Thanks for adopting the team!

Welcome micklyons! great to have you aboard:).

And Mai, slow down a little girl! Shin spints and heal pain are almost always due to over training! (How about that... you are such an active athelete that you are over training!) Rest and stretching as HC suggests usually does the trick for me.

And to anyone else I missed or who hasn't dropped into the tread yet, I hope your training is going well and that you have set a goal, whether it's a race or fitness objective.

I got back from a 3 day backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierras yesterday. We had a wonderful time, but need a couple of days to recuperate. The hike in was only 5 miles but ALL uphill, starting at 7200 feet and topping out a 10,000 feet (the oxygen gets mighty thin up there). On day 2 we day hiked over to another lake for trout fishing about 6 miles up and down and up again. And on the 3rd day we walked out. Now, one might think that an all downhill walk would be great, but most of the trail was like walking down 4 miles of stairs. Poor DH is really hurting this morning.

But the discomfort was definitely worth it. The scenery and solitude was glorious!

Not sure when the next run is likely to be, perhaps Sat or Sun.

dear_abby 09-08-2011 10:07 AM

Did someone mention this becomes addictive?

Pam, sounds like an amazing vacation - perfect spot!

So, I find myself looking at 5Ks - and a weekend which would be particularly nice is October 21... And, there is one almost in my backyard, for a cause I'd really like to support! I'll wait a bit to register, but cool!

I'm going to have to make a budget line item for entry fees! (I can move the funds from beer).

Abby

01gt4.6 09-08-2011 10:20 AM

sw, I don't mind the signature, I think it's funny to see how big it has gotten.

Thanks Pam!

lastri 09-08-2011 01:10 PM

Just an update on my pain. I have been resting. And it's been raining cat and dog here so I did not have a chance to get out yet. But my pain seem so much better. I hope 1 more week, it's will go away so I can get back to training.

HC, Deep water running is very interesting. I have never heard of it. I definitely will try that this weekend.

Thanks everyone for supporting.
Mai

sw07 09-09-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 56105)
SW, maybe god, or the universe was trying to tell you something :rolleyes:. Sorry to see your injuries, but as our resident coach points out, a little rest might be beneficial in the long run.

Yes Pam, I think you're right... Thanks to coach HC's advice, I've been resting & sleeping in instead of running and taking naps when I get home from work and I feel great. The lower back & toe injuries have gotten much better since Monday- I'm feeling like a short run after work today.:)
I've got a 9/11 Memorial 5k run on Sunday-sounds like a great course along the Sacramento River.
I also caught the last day for the early bird registration for an Octoberfest 5k on Oct 8th.

VitoVino 09-09-2011 09:58 AM

Seems like a lot of people are having some pains, including myself.

FYI I'm a big believer in neodymium magnet therapy. I've taped them on to my achilles tendons during sleep, and wear them around the house. I swear by them; I'm certain they aid healing in quick time.

It probably sounds whacked, but they really do help me. One time I got a wasp sting right on my earlobe. Pain killers did nothing. As soon as I taped a magnet to my earlobe, the pain dulled, making it bearable. I've used them for years with great results.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there...

sw07 09-09-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 56197)
the pain dulled, making it bearable.

That's what Beer's for....:p

handcycle2005 09-09-2011 12:12 PM

Actually Vito, it's not as crazy as it sounds. Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy is a proven therapy for fractures and there is evidence for it's use in soft tissue injuries.

I had a bone growth stimulator after my accident as my femur wasn't healing. Hard to tell how much it helped as I was non-weight bearing and that delays healing.

Be aware, the magnets Vito uses are dangerously strong. Magnets of more than a few centiimeters in diameter can crush tissue and even break bones. Be very careful with pairs or getting near metal.

VitoVino 09-10-2011 02:29 AM

HC, with all the iron I'm getting in my diet the magnets appear to be especially effective these days. ;)

I've only got two right now, 1" x 1/8". They are capable of 11 pound lift.

I'm going to order a few 1/4" ones, capable of 22 pound lift (the strongest available)