Notices

Fasting Anyone?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Dear 1anamia,

As someone who has suffered from an eating disorder in the past, who draws references to anorexia and bulemia in her forum name and who considers herself "mostly recovered", you might wanna reconsider your decision to fast yet again, especially since you described your past experiences with fasting as addictive. I'm not a trained doctor and I don't wanna oversimplify the topic, but you wouldn't recommend an ex alcoholic to go out for a night of binge drinking or offer a package of cigarettes to a "mostly recovered" smoker, would you?
I know that VLCDs can be an option for obese people who wish to lose a lot of weight quickly, since the health risks obesity presents are considered greater than possible risks of the diet itself, but I would be super-careful if I were you (it's so easy to slip back into old patterns). So, personally, I would look into longterm options such as a maintainable calorie restriction, regular workouts etc., but I guess as long as your fasting is undertaken with medical supervision and you do actually fall into the range of obesity it might be a way to kickstart your weight loss journey.
Just make sure you put your health first, that's what it comes down to.

Best of luck anyways!

Last edited by MollySue2; 05-31-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Fasting spas

Hello dear,

I've never done fasting but I confess I am very excited about Fasting SPAS!
Here in Europe there are many of them! Only surviving by tea and doing massages.

I am probably going to one with friends in a month .
Afterward I might post my experience.

Cheers,
Magritcha.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I've done a couple of 30 day water fasts and more one and two week ones. I can see how they would be addicting (fasting really feels euphoric after the first day or two of hunger). Although you can lose weight really fast, they are probably not a good idea to do very often. I've pretty much given them (as well as super low cal diets) up in favor of a reasonable 1500 cals a day for a slow and steady weight loss.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sorry to say this, but a 30-day water fast just sounds irresponsible to me. The ultimate goal of all this fat loss that people are trying to achieve on this forum is to get down to a weight where their health is no longer threatened by looming dangers of diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, and everything that comes with overweight/obesity. Which means... you shouldn't trade away your health to get there.

While a 24-hour fast sounds reasonable to me (especially when giving the body a chance to recover from a weekend of brutal eating), I'd imagine 30 days causes some serious nutritional depletion in addition to a high caloric deficit. I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RabbitNox
Fasting has been recommended for years to only cleanse or detox the body. However, it is not a suitable weight loss method, because it deprives our body of nutrients and does nothing to help us modify our dietary habits. Infact, it can lead to weight gain when the fast is over because it can increase our food-cravings.
Quite on the contrary. Intermittent fasting has been proven to increase longevity and over-all health. Now, I'm not in favor of long term water fasts, but diets like the Warrior Diet, EOD (Every Other Day), or other forms of IF can lead to a very healthy lifestyle choice.

Intermittent fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can work, but do it safely and responsibly.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Interesting thread. For those who are in a tizzy, please note that I never recommended that anyone try fasting (though most of us do it for at least eight hours a night), I only share my own experience. Everyone should do their own research and make informed decisions regarding their eating plans--blindly following anyone is seldom a good idea.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
FitDay Member

I'm fasting from 6 to 6, I do this to pretty much detox my body and shrink my stomach. I will do this for three days, to kickstary my body. I did it before, and it streamlined me for weighloss, but that was two kids ago. I hope it works!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 1anamia
When i was younger i used to suffer from an eating dissorder.. and fasting was my addiction.
But now that im older and mostly recovered i decided to go on a fast again.. only this time with a lil help and advice from the dr.

Has anyone ever used fasting as a weightloss method or am i the only one lol?
I suggest you read "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. In that book you will find out that the reason you lose weight while fasting is that your body is mobilizing both your fat stores and your lean muscle mass. That might bring you a lower number on the scale, but at the cost of muscle deterioration. You can get a similar result on a ketogenic diet, in which you are ingesting enough protein to prevent lean muscle loss. An added bonus is that, coupled with a good multivitamin, you will also get the nutrients to prevent some of the other uncomfortable side effects of fasting (like headaches, diziness, etc.).
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
the reason you lose weight while fasting is that your body is mobilizing both your fat stores and your lean muscle mass. That might bring you a lower number on the scale, but at the cost of muscle deterioration.
The exception to this is if you strength train regularly. And by strength train, I mean lifting heavy weight for 10 reps or less per set. Your body adapts to hold on to muscle mass if it knows it's going to need it again soon, even if you IF (fast intermittently).
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
FitDay Member

Hi anamia...you sn stand for anorexia bulimia...if you feel that you are relapsing than you should probably ask for help. I'm not sure when you put up your post but I strongly recommend that you do not fast especially with your history. Minimizing caloric intake to lower than 800 calories is not healthy at all. All your doing is causing your body to eat away at its own muscles not fat...thats why alot of anas and mia continue to starve and binge and purge bc they maintain a skinny fat. The body is holding on to that fat so that it can survive due to its starvation. Your stomach grumbling is your acid eating away at the lining around your stomach that can cause ulcers. If you really wanna lose weight and feel good about your self 1. EXERCISE HELLO!!!! 2. Eat 5 small healthy meals throughout the day 3. Look in the mirror and pick out the things that you like and love about yourself rather than hating and wanting to fix the unfixable. I say this because I felt the same way about fasting and I promise it is a temporary fix to a permanent problem. You should try to live healthier bc there is no miracle cure to lose weight you have to want to lose the weight at feel good about yourself. P90X is a good start, running bodyrock.tv and bodyspace.com can help you get motivated and stay that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.