FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/457-atkins.html)

waynegretzky 05-18-2010 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 11024)
For the second day I ate about 25 net carbs and 1,250 calories, not enough calories. But the terrible hunger pangs have subsided. I am losing inches on my waist even though the weight loss has slowed down. I think I am going to be able to do this. I am increasing my physical activity. Anybody in L A want to go on long walks on the beach at Channel Islands Harbor with me?

If you only are eating that amount, you will lose weight no matter what you eat. Eat 1250 calories of pizza if you want and you will still lose. It sounds like you are weak and starving and uncomfortable doing this which is impossible to keep up. I eat a bit of everything and found it much better than trying to follow the atkins way and i still have lost 60 lbs very easily with no hunger or weakness.

RichardBuckner 05-18-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11079)
So, Richard, tell us about yourself? Why are you trying to lose weight? What got you to this point, you think? Other stuff...

Also, did you post in the men's forum? They may have extra help for you because, as you know, men and women lose differently. I am looking for all the help I can get. I have had a little something extra everyday--like shelled peanuts. Am I purposely sabotaging myself?

Well I definitely have my fat burning furnace going and am gradually picking up my exercise. My meeting with my diet buddy went great. I am going to add berries and cut back dairy and nuts. So far so good today. I will concentrate on foods with a high calorie to net carbs ratio--still keeping carbs down. She punished me for losing only a half pound instead of two but cut the target down to a pound for next Monday. I am still losing. I have to use the stationary bike 5 days a week (it is so boring) and walk the dogs 6 days a week. I have to meet her Friday and run; I am a walker not a runner. So she is doing her job and sticking it to me.
Gonna walk the dog and use exercise bike now. Better than sleeping.
As to myself, I am a playwright. I lost my mother in August and my older brother was selfish in probating the estate. He had always lorded it over me and my mother favored him so when he got the things mom had promised me it hurt and I started eating. I figured it out and have lost 7 pounds. This time I will do it for myself and my health--not to fit into a black suit for my mother's burial. I don't have to please her and my brother any more.
I like "A New Atkins for a New You" better than the original book but I agree it is stupid to starve myself and have no energy. I have gone up to 25 g net carbs and will do 30 if I have to.
Rick

lil.oh.me 05-19-2010 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 11146)
I lost my mother in August...I figured it out and have lost 7 pounds. This time I will do it for myself and my health...
I like "A New Atkins for a New You" better than the original book but I agree it is stupid to starve myself and have no energy. I have gone up to 25 g net carbs and will do 30 if I have to.
Rick

Rick, I am so sorry that happened to you. Losing a parent, in itself, is hard enough; but then, to have to confront what you've felt and, probably tried to pretend, wasn't the case (her relationship with your brother), afterwards must have been horrible. I am truly sorry. I AM HAPPY YOU FIGURED IT ALL OUT THOUGH!!! As has been said before, that is always the key; "not what we're eating, but what is eating us."

I went through a bad relationship, after just having lost a lot of weight, and feeling really good about myself. He told me he could never marry me because he was attracted to thinner women--after we finally were, ah hem, intimate. How humiliating. Anywhoo-I ate and cried like a baby for over a year. No, really. It crushed my faith in people most of all. It also crushed my faith in myself. Afterall, how could I allow someone to get into my head like that. So, I feel like I've continued to let myself down ever since and let him in. There is more. I guess we all have "background" and our own crosses to bear.

I am glad you're back on track though. Truly. You know what else, you have moving water by which you can sit and reflect or take a walk. I don't even have a decent body of water to sit next to. Ugh!!

RichardBuckner 05-19-2010 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11210)
Rick, I am so sorry that happened to you. Losing a parent, in itself, is hard enough; but then, to have to confront what you've felt and, probably tried to pretend, wasn't the case (her relationship with your brother), afterwards must have been horrible. I am truly sorry. I AM HAPPY YOU FIGURED IT ALL OUT THOUGH!!! As has been said before, that is always the key; "not what we're eating, but what is eating us."

I went through a bad relationship, after just having lost a lot of weight, and feeling really good about myself. He told me he could never marry me because he was attracted to thinner women--after we finally were, ah hem, intimate. How humiliating. Anywhoo-I ate and cried like a baby for over a year. No, really. It crushed my faith in people most of all. It also crushed my faith in myself. Afterall, how could I allow someone to get into my head like that. So, I feel like I've continued to let myself down ever since and let him in. There is more. I guess we all have "background" and our own crosses to bear.

I am glad you're back on track though. Truly. You know what else, you have moving water by which you can sit and reflect or take a walk. I don't even have a decent body of water to sit next to. Ugh!!

Some men are jerks. You learned. Remember you are your own best friend and you are the most important thing in the world. Not only do things for yourself but try to get out of yourself and do for others. Be your own bridge over troubled waters. You always have your imagination. I suggest you read Homecoming by John Bradshaw. It helped me. 1,674 calories and 15.5 net carbs yesterday and I feel OK. Am exercising more; the stupid community college gym was closed yesterday when I went to ride the stationary bike. I will ride my real mountain bike today.
Hang in there. Feel, think, act and if it does not work try it all over again.

terribear27 05-19-2010 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11016)
Good morning guys! I didn't do THAT badly over the weekend, but I did do some sabotaging stuff. That's ok, I'm back. BEWARE THE CARB SMART ICE CREAM BARS. It was impossible to eat just one a day. This is the second time I've tried to do this and ate the box. Whew!

Terri--Cool, I got a lot from your post. Thank you. I do the ketosis sticks and supplements. This time around, I have not started either yet. I will keep you guys posted.

Richard--I will find a way to work this site and let you know. Looks like you're having major technical difficulties. Truthfully, I have not taken the time on the site to find the answers to your questions. Will try. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near your area.

I will get back to you guys in a few. Project due at noon. UGH!!

Hey!
I have the same problem with the Carbsmart ice cream bars. I take them out of the box and hide them in the freezer.
I am going to have to get some ketosis sticks and see how that works. I really need to increase my carbs and move off of induction, but have not yet. Thanks for your feedback.:)

RichardBuckner 05-19-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11016)
Good morning guys! I didn't do THAT badly over the weekend, but I did do some sabotaging stuff. That's ok, I'm back. BEWARE THE CARB SMART ICE CREAM BARS. It was impossible to eat just one a day. This is the second time I've tried to do this and ate the box. Whew!

Terri--Cool, I got a lot from your post. Thank you. I do the ketosis sticks and supplements. This time around, I have not started either yet. I will keep you guys posted.

Richard--I will find a way to work this site and let you know. Looks like you're having major technical difficulties. Truthfully, I have not taken the time on the site to find the answers to your questions. Will try. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near your area.

I will get back to you guys in a few. Project due at noon. UGH!!

Hugs. Wanna be diet buddies? Do you have a Yahoo account?

hollyj89 05-19-2010 08:55 AM

Glad to see others on Atkins

I am beginning, once again, to live a healthier life and Atkins seems to be the only program that works for me.

Ten years ago I lost 85 lbs on Atkins, but sadly, like you Richard, I lost not just one, but both of my parents within 10 months of each other, AND I went through a long nasty divorce. Of course, with all of the stress, I lost my momentum, and ate myself back to my original weight, and beyond. I now have hypertension, diabetes, and other health issues. I have basically been killing myself with my food addiction.

My life begins NOW. I have already lost 4 lbs, and I am thankful for this site to give me all the bells and whistles I need to encourage myself (love those charts). I wish all of you luck, whatever program you are on. If anyone needs a "partner in crime", to get us through the rough spots and celebrate our victories, I'm here. Holly

lil.oh.me 05-20-2010 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 11234)
Hugs. Wanna be diet buddies? Do you have a Yahoo account?

How would that work Richard? Just through email or what?

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 11240)
My life begins NOW.

Yes, Holly it does begin now. As Richard stated earlier, it all begins by simply starting over again. Great thing about it is, as long as you live, each day is a new opportunity. Never too late.

Your losses must have been hard. I've done the divorce thing. Among other horrible things. Let's decide not to give any of it any more power.

SO HOW DO WE ALL, THAT INCLUDES YOU TOO TERRI, SUPERSIZE THIS SUPPORT GROUP? IDEAS? I AM TOO YOUNG AND SEXY TO BE FAT!

lil.oh.me 05-20-2010 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by terribear27 (Post 11219)
Hey!
I have the same problem with the Carbsmart ice cream bars. I take them out of the box and hide them in the freezer.
I am going to have to get some ketosis sticks and see how that works. I really need to increase my carbs and move off of induction, but have not yet. Thanks for your feedback.:)

Terri, I went back to my sugar free Jello and dallop of whipped cream last night. And you know what? It was delish! Probably because I took a break. LOL!

Oh, you know what else. When you want something sweet but not Jello, take a dallop of the whipped cream and just sprinkly cinnamon on top.

Also, I have keto sticks and all the supplements from my last attempt. I still have not weighed. Feel differently though. I will start the whole regimen soon. Gotta find a breakfast first that I can bring to work--can't take vitamins on my empty stomach. That has been my hold up on the supplements.

RichardBuckner 05-20-2010 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11292)

Yes, Holly it does begin now. As Richard stated earlier, it all begins by simply starting over again. Great thing about it is, as long as you live, each day is a new opportunity. Never too late.

Your losses must have been hard. I've done the divorce thing. Among other horrible things. Let's decide not to give any of it any more power.

SO HOW DO WE ALL, THAT INCLUDES YOU TOO TERRI, SUPERSIZE THIS SUPPORT GROUP? IDEAS? I AM TOO YOUNG AND SEXY TO BE FAT!

I have an AIM account but don't use it. I use Yahoo a lot. We could use email; yahoo has it. It is free. I don't want to give my regular email here. In Yahoo we could send IM (online and offline) messages, use cam if you have it, use voice if you have it. We could do it here but it would not be as private.
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-20-2010 05:32 AM

I went up on net carbs and calories again yesterday because I was so excited about good news; still my calories were way below my maintenance and I am increasing my exercise. I had the Atkins basic pancakes this morning and the syrup used up half of my net carbs budget. I am thinking of making my own zero carb syrup. I will have to eat carbless meat and green veggies the rest of the day. I have added blackberries and they are really satisfying. I will try to keep net carbs averaging 25 in OWL for a week and then see if I can add nuts and creep up to 30. I feel great now, going to explore the entrance to a small mountain day hike. I will go on a day hike tomorrow plus walk a dog 30 minutes and ride a stationary bike 20. I will work outside more and more.
I have lost 12 pounds in two weeks. When I lie flat I can now se my ... er ... you know what over my stomach.

terribear27 05-20-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11292)

I like your thinking! I am not sure how to supersize this group.. I just happened upon it. It seems like we have all been through bad times and use food to comfort us. That is something I definitely need to stop. I too am in a place where I have decided to take back the power I have given to food and empower myself to look good. I have also decided that I want to look good for me and I am not doing this for anyone else. Though I have a very supportive husband(my second marriage), I have to focus on losing the weight and feeling healthier for me because that is what makes me happy. I hope we can support each other through the good times and bad.

I like your idea about whipped cream with cinnamin. I too eat the sf jello with whipped cream! Yum!

Last night, I tried jicama sauteed in butter and sprinkled with cinnamin and apple pie spice. It tasted yummy, kind of like spiced, warm, crunchy apples.

I am trying to explore a variety of foods to keep me interested and not bored so that I can stick to this way of eating. This is not a diet but a way of life!!!;)

Let's keep in touch and motivate each other to do this right!:D

RichardBuckner 05-20-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 11240)
I am beginning, once again, to live a healthier life and Atkins seems to be the only program that works for me.

Ten years ago I lost 85 lbs on Atkins, but sadly, like you Richard, I lost not just one, but both of my parents within 10 months of each other, AND I went through a long nasty divorce. Of course, with all of the stress, I lost my momentum, and ate myself back to my original weight, and beyond. I now have hypertension, diabetes, and other health issues. I have basically been killing myself with my food addiction.

My life begins NOW. I have already lost 4 lbs, and I am thankful for this site to give me all the bells and whistles I need to encourage myself (love those charts). I wish all of you luck, whatever program you are on. If anyone needs a "partner in crime", to get us through the rough spots and celebrate our victories, I'm here. Holly

Sorry about your losses. Death(s) make us change into different people. A month before my mom died my best childhood friend died. A week after my best friend in the state died and when at his funeral in San Jose I lost the relationship with my adopted niece, the only relative I have on this side of the continent. I trimmed down to 191 to get in a dark suit for mom's burial but my brother was a real jerk with the probate. I gained back to 221 but lost 11 pounds in 12 days. This time I am doing it for ME.

Hey, hang in there. I have some great news I would like to share with you.
I would consider being diet buddies with you. Do you have a Yahoo Account?
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-21-2010 02:25 AM

207 on bathroom scale this morning, down from 221 two weeks agao. Calories yesterday 1,774, Net carbs 35. Still losing because calories are over 1,000 below maintence. Feel good, more energized. Hope to take 2 hour hike today with diet buddy but she may stand me up. Beginning to work on production of 10 minute play in October.

lil.oh.me 05-22-2010 11:50 AM

YAY Richard!!! Congratulations on your loss. Yay!! I am sooooooo happy for you!

RichardBuckner 05-23-2010 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11543)
YAY Richard!!! Congratulations on your loss. Yay!! I am sooooooo happy for you!

I appreciate your enthusiastic encouragement and positive feed back. Really! You don't know how much it means to me.

Yesterday I took my family and granddaughter to the Quicksilver Miniature Horse Ranch in Solvang and toured several shops there. The healthiest lunch I could find was a Caesar salad; it added 17 carbs to my quota putting me over 25 net carbs at 37.9 but I may have counted the parmesan cheese twice and croutons when I had them held. But calories for the day were only 1,860 and I weighted 206 on the bathroom scale this morning, continuing to lose. I will ask my diet buddy this afternoon if I can go to 30 and add nuts. I did not feel like doing the exercise bike until 7 pm and by then the gym was closed, and I did not walk a dog so may receive additional punishments. I will use the bike and steam room and shower this morning and walk a dog. I will go to my new spiritual center and work on my outside 10 x 20' canopy this afternoon.

Good luck to you and keep the faith.
Rick

hollyj89 05-23-2010 12:25 PM

Richard, I would be glad to be your weight loss buddy. Once again, I'm sorry to hear about all you have had to deal with. The sibling thing is frequently ugly when it comes to the death of a parent. If you are anything like me, your response to that sort of stress is to comfort yourself with food. I just need to learn to not give in to allowing food to be my comfort and stress reliever.

I do have a yahoo account olliehay9 on there and for my email too. I look forward to communicating with you and supporting you in this endeavor.

RichardBuckner 05-24-2010 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 11599)
Richard, I would be glad to be your weight loss buddy. Once again, I'm sorry to hear about all you have had to deal with. The sibling thing is frequently ugly when it comes to the death of a parent. If you are anything like me, your response to that sort of stress is to comfort yourself with food. I just need to learn to not give in to allowing food to be my comfort and stress reliever.

I do have a yahoo account olliehay9 on there and for my email too. I look forward to communicating with you and supporting you in this endeavor.

100% wonderful. I will IM you offline. Yeah, I overdid the comfort food thing but am down to 203 from 221 in 15 days and feel great. Much more active and have hunger pangs and nutrition under control. Joined an athletic club and going about every day and walking a dog every day. Had a 2 hour hike with elevation loss and gain yesterday. Good luck to you.
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-25-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 11599)

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 11650)
100% wonderful. I will IM you offline. Yeah, I overdid the comfort food thing but am down to 203 from 221 in 15 days and feel great. Much more active and have hunger pangs and nutrition under control. Joined an athletic club and going about every day and walking a dog every day. Had a 2 hour hike with elevation loss and gain yesterday. Good luck to you.

Holly I have sent several IMs to you when you are on Yahoo but do not receive responses.

I ate over 2,500 calories yesterday and twice my quota of net carbs but am doing much better today. I am about caught up on my extra exercises and walking the dogs. I just HAD to have some carbs and ate a bowl of rice krispies. 204 on the bathroom scale this morning.

Lengthening 1 char.

OK

lil.oh.me 05-27-2010 05:42 AM

Sorry guys I haven't been present. I think I'm a little discouraged. I know my hot spots--the weekends. Talking about over indulging!!!!

hollyj89 05-27-2010 11:44 PM

Sorry Richard. I guess I have just missed you when you have messaged me. I usually just keep my messenger open on my yahoo mail, and if I don't happen to be on that tab, I don't see you. You come and go so quickly. Keep trying. I have sent you some messages back...I hope you got them. I'm looking forward to being able to chat with someone who understands where I am right now.

RichardBuckner 05-28-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11968)
Sorry guys I haven't been present. I think I'm a little discouraged. I know my hot spots--the weekends. Talking about over indulging!!!!

Encourage, encourage. Plan pleasant things to keep busy on the weekends.
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-28-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 12023)
Sorry Richard. I guess I have just missed you when you have messaged me. I usually just keep my messenger open on my yahoo mail, and if I don't happen to be on that tab, I don't see you. You come and go so quickly. Keep trying. I have sent you some messages back...I hope you got them. I'm looking forward to being able to chat with someone who understands where I am right now.

I am sure we will have a nice chat soon.
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-29-2010 05:41 AM

Atkins diet progress

Adding back dairy foods to 35 net carbs. Got peanuts and chitlins and peanut butter; the latter may be a trigger food. 202 on bathroom scale this morning at low weight--down from 221 three weeks ago. Will see dr for results of blood work next Friday. Walked dog to grocery in wrong shoes and wore a blister; have to toughen up my feet. For my milestone celebrations I will buy some good new sneakers.

pbrando 05-31-2010 12:09 PM

How to figure NetCarbs

I want to know how you are tracking your netcarbs on here? I am adding my food but it is just computing the carbs and not the net carbs. Are you putting them in as a custom item to figure your net carbs for Atkins?:confused:

hollyj89 06-01-2010 03:53 AM

Congrats on your milestone Rick. I will take some encouragement from your progress. I seem to have hit a plateau on my second week. I suspect it was because I lost over 9 lbs in my 1st week. I hope I can keep up the determination as you have. Keep trying me on yahoo if you get the chance. Hopefully we can have a chat soon.

Holly

RichardBuckner 06-01-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by pbrando (Post 12236)
I want to know how you are tracking your netcarbs on here? I am adding my food but it is just computing the carbs and not the net carbs. Are you putting them in as a custom item to figure your net carbs for Atkins?:confused:

After you enter your foods for the day scroll down and look at the pie chart and nutrition data to the left of it. It gives total carbs and dietary fiber; simply subtract mentally the latter from the former. I immediately journal that, net carbs first and total calories second. When you look at your journal summary it will repeat the first few words of the last 7 or so days of journal entries.

I have emailed fitday to track net carbs; so far no response. You might make the request at [email protected] and see if that helps. It would be nice to have a net carbs over time histogram also.
Rick

RichardBuckner 06-01-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by hollyj89 (Post 12291)
Congrats on your milestone Rick. I will take some encouragement from your progress. I seem to have hit a plateau on my second week. I suspect it was because I lost over 9 lbs in my 1st week. I hope I can keep up the determination as you have. Keep trying me on yahoo if you get the chance. Hopefully we can have a chat soon.

Holly

Yeah the second week was murder for me; your body has to turn on the genes to burn fat. Keep with it.
Rick

lmcrg 06-01-2010 08:20 AM

Hi everyone,

I joined this website today. I have done the Atkins diet before and I was very successful with it, but I couldn't sustain it and gained it all back and more.

I am going to give it a try again but with some changes so that I can actually change my life style and not simply "be on a diet" and revert back to the same mistakes I did before.

I hope to count on you guys to share experiences and see this thing through. I am turning 40 years old next year and I need to turn my life around or my health will be severely affected.

Is anyone out there?

Stay well, Luis

lil.oh.me 06-02-2010 02:16 AM

Does anybody else feel like they would rather go through life invisible? Like, today was so hard to come to work. I feel like I'm hiding out, in my office, in the car, in the house. I'm soooo disappointed. I feel like somewhere I just lost who I am or gave up on me. I'm sitting here looking at the clothes I have on at work today--WTH??? What was I thinking? I don't think I'm depressed, I feel ok. I just feel like I'm caught up in the tedium of everyday life and can't get enough money or enough vacation time. GEEZ!!

I'm dieting and nothing seems to be happening. I'm ready to say F****THIS!!!!!! I'll never be a 10. You know?

I don't know if its the weight that caused this or the mood that's caused the weight. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Calling Richard, Terri, Luis...somebody, anybody!?

RichardBuckner 06-02-2010 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by lmcrg (Post 12317)
I joined this website today. I have done the Atkins diet before and I was very successful with it, but I couldn't sustain it and gained it all back and more.

I am going to give it a try again but with some changes so that I can actually change my life style and not simply "be on a diet" and revert back to the same mistakes I did before.

I hope to count on you guys to share experiences and see this thing through. I am turning 40 years old next year and I need to turn my life around or my health will be severely affected.

Is anyone out there?

Stay well, Luis

I am on the new Atkins diet; get the book. It is easier. but the second week was murder. Now I have almost no obsessive cravings and hunger. Have lost 14 pounds in 3.5 weeks. Good luck.

RichardBuckner 06-02-2010 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 12385)
Does anybody else feel like they would rather go through life invisible? Like, today was so hard to come to work. I feel like I'm hiding out, in my office, in the car, in the house. I'm soooo disappointed. I feel like somewhere I just lost who I am or gave up on me. I'm sitting here looking at the clothes I have on at work today--WTH??? What was I thinking? I don't think I'm depressed, I feel ok. I just feel like I'm caught up in the tedium of everyday life and can't get enough money or enough vacation time. GEEZ!!

I'm dieting and nothing seems to be happening. I'm ready to say F****THIS!!!!!! I'll never be a 10. You know?

I don't know if its the weight that caused this or the mood that's caused the weight. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Attitude, attitude, attitude. I felt like you do when my mom died; I had some unfinished business with her and realized it would never be resolved. But there is not chance now so have put it behind me. You can choose your attitude, so do it. Be positive NO MATTER WHAT. Watch comedy on TV. Do creative and fun things. Exercise. Read inspirational stories and listen to inspirational music. Take care of yourself.
Remember there is no more precious child of the creator than you. Don't beat up on yourself. You might read Homecoming by John Bradshaw and do the imagining exercises. They are intense but I would be willing to be here for you. Another good book is Pychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.
You can and will change. You might be in a size 9 in a year. People change; it is up to you. All we can do is provide a supportive environment.
Go to it, tiger!

MetalPeaches 06-02-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 12385)

I'm feeling like this right now. I'm not a sad person but I've been dieting/ exercising hard for weeks and all I have to show for it is an extra inch on my hips. How is that possible? I stopped alcohol completely- I've cut out sugar and I've started exercising daily. Not one pound lost.

Anyways I'm starting ketosis tomorrow- the induction diet. I'm nervous because I don't like meat (I was a vegetarian for over a decade) but obviously nothing else is working. I'm scared I'm just going to gain on this too. Trying really hard to stay positive but this whole experience has been so frustrating. I'm bigger and more tired than ever! I'm gonna need a lot of support on this.

RichardBuckner 06-03-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12472)
I'm feeling like this right now. I'm not a sad person but I've been dieting/ exercising hard for weeks and all I have to show for it is an extra inch on my hips. How is that possible? I stopped alcohol completely- I've cut out sugar and I've started exercising daily. Not one pound lost.

Anyways I'm starting ketosis tomorrow- the induction diet. I'm nervous because I don't like meat (I was a vegetarian for over a decade) but obviously nothing else is working. I'm scared I'm just going to gain on this too. Trying really hard to stay positive but this whole experience has been so frustrating. I'm bigger and more tired than ever! I'm gonna need a lot of support on this.

Encourage, encourage. I have lost 16 pounds in 3.5 weeks on new Atkins. My food logs are public and you can look at them. Right now I am working on getting my potassium up. It is about 60% of RDA. I will see my doctor tomorrow to see what my blood level was last Friday. I am having to add to net carbs to get the potassium up. What you have accomplished so far is good for your body. You can eat a lot of fish, poultry and pork. Don't give up; restrict net carbs to about 20 and stick with it for 2 weeks and you will lose, and keep exercising. Best of luck. 10 years longer life feeling great will be worth it. Remember, all that really matters is YOU!
Rick

lil.oh.me 06-03-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12472)

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 12395)
Attitude, attitude, attitude. I felt like you do when my mom died; I had some unfinished business with her and realized it would never be resolved. But there is not chance now so have put it behind me. You can choose your attitude, so do it. Be positive NO MATTER WHAT. Watch comedy on TV. Do creative and fun things. Exercise. Read inspirational stories and listen to inspirational music. Take care of yourself.
Remember there is no more precious child of the creator than you. Don't beat up on yourself. You might read Homecoming by John Bradshaw and do the imagining exercises. They are intense but I would be willing to be here for you. Another good book is Pychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.
You can and will change. You might be in a size 9 in a year. People change; it is up to you. All we can do is provide a supportive environment.
Go to it, tiger!

Richard, thank you. You are sooo encouraging. I really wish I were stronger to be your cheerleader right now. You're doing so well.

MetalPeaches--I wish I had something for you, too. But, I haven't lost either. I'm thinking I've been doing this almost a month and nothing. Not even one clothes size. The last time I did this, shoot the last two times, I lost about 60 lbs. I saw results fast. I'm feeling helpless and hopeless right now. I heard about the wooshie fairy. You know, one day it just all wooshes away after your effort--or is it the swooshie fairy--anywhoooo, I am trying to hang in there.

Oh, I gave up the alcohol almost completely. None during the week and a bit of tequila with the bf on the weekends. But, other than that I feel like I'm just filling myself with crap.

Funny, one of my students told me I was "disintegrating" today and she wanted me to stop mistreating myself cause she loved me. I couldn't even...well, I know its bad.

Is this also because I'm soon to be 39? Almost the 4 oh.

Beefsister 06-03-2010 11:43 AM

I'm sort of doing the Atkins diet. More of a primal diet. My ratios today were 72% fat ( 122 grams overall,44 grams saturated, 10.6 polyunsaturated, 56 monounsaturated), 27% protein (99 grams), and 1% carbs (2.6).

I plan on eating a bit more carbs once I get closer to my goal weight, from veggies and a bit of fruit. But for now, mostly meat, eggs, cheese, and oils. I like this diet so far. It's tasty, and the fatty foods keep me full for a long time :)

Also, I highly suggest that anybody doing or thinking about going low carb go to Link removed

It's a great site, with a forum and everything. That site is actually what made me go on the 'caveman diet'.

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 03:40 AM

[QUOTE=lil.oh.me;12541]Richard, thank you. You are sooo encouraging. I really wish I were stronger to be your cheerleader right now. You're doing so well.

MetalPeaches--I wish I had something for you, too. But, I haven't lost either. I'm thinking I've been doing this almost a month and nothing. Not even one clothes size. The last time I did this, shoot the last two times, I lost about 60 lbs. I saw results fast. I'm feeling helpless and hopeless right now. I heard about the wooshie fairy. You know, one day it just all wooshes away after your effort--or is it the swooshie fairy--anywhoooo, I am trying to hang in there.

Oh, I gave up the alcohol almost completely. None during the week and a bit of tequila with the bf on the weekends. But, other than that I feel like I'm just filling myself with crap.

Keep trying. You can look at my public food logs. Wait until you are 69; it is a very sexy age. Age isn't you, YOU are you. Keep forever young. Learn something new. Today I hit 201 on the bathroom scale first thing in the morning; 204.4 on the accurate digital scale. Lost 2.6 lb from last Monday. Upping my net carbs to 40 and adding some fruit and melons. Still can't get my potassium above 70% without great expense and higher net carbs. Will probably add potassium citrate. Will continue to try to lose 2 pounds per week, maybe 2-3 weeks and I will be half way there at 200. This is after a solid week on a plateau at 202 in the morning. You can go like than then suddenly lose 5 pounds in a week. Do not despair. Yaaaay me!
Rick

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Beefsister (Post 12550)
I'm sort of doing the Atkins diet. More of a primal diet. My ratios today were 72% fat ( 122 grams overall,44 grams saturated, 10.6 polyunsaturated, 56 monounsaturated), 27% protein (99 grams), and 1% carbs (2.6).

I plan on eating a bit more carbs once I get closer to my goal weight, from veggies and a bit of fruit. But for now, mostly meat, eggs, cheese, and oils. I like this diet so far. It's tasty, and the fatty foods keep me full for a long time :)

Also, I highly suggest that anybody doing or thinking about going low carb go to Link removed.

It's a great site, with a forum and everything. That site is actually what made me go on the 'caveman diet'.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out the site. I suggest you eat more carbs and protein. You need the protein to replace the muscle you lose as your body has less weight to support and eats for food. You do need some carbs. Get them in green leafy veggies. My ration is about 10% carbs (rising a little now), 30% protein and the rest fat. It has taken 4 weeks but I feel great.
Rick

MetalPeaches 06-04-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Beefsister (Post 12550)

Ok I'm the total opposite. I'm on day two of induction and I feel like hell. I've been hungry since I've started this which feels terrible. I can only eat so much meat before it makes me nauseous. I've had a splitting headache all day and just feel completely lethargic. Before this I'd have like a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and I wouldn't get hungry at all until around lunchtime. I'm eating way more calories than I'm used to and my stomach is gnawing at me like I haven't eaten a thing.
If I never had to eat cheese or meat again the rest of my life I'd be perfectly ok with that. Ughh

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12655)
Ok I'm the total opposite. I'm on day two of induction and I feel like hell. I've been hungry since I've started this which feels terrible. I can only eat so much meat before it makes me nauseous. I've had a splitting headache all day and just feel completely lethargic. Before this I'd have like a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and I wouldn't get hungry at all until around lunchtime. I'm eating way more calories than I'm used to and my stomach is gnawing at me like I haven't eaten a thing.
If I never had to eat cheese or meat again the rest of my life I'd be perfectly ok with that. Ughh

Your metabolism is in an uproar. You want the lazy carbs. Be sure and eat at least 20 net carbs. Eskimos and paleolithic hungers survived; it takes a while to turn the genes to use fat back on. I am in 4th week and feel great. Look at your total nutrition chart; make sure you are getting enough potassium. I went to the dr today to get the results of potassium, glucose and calcium; the lab sent none. I had to get blood drawn again. If your potassium is low you will feel like hell; google the symptoms of low potassium. If you need it supplemented more than a few percent you need a doctor's prescription. They don't tell you this. I got mine up 10% by eating potassium rich foods and feel great but my carbs have gone up. I wasted a week and it will still be days before I get my Rx. I hate dr secretaries. I drink the flavored sparkling water with no carbs, only .79 per liter. Eat 4 or 5 servings of green leafy veggies a day. I eat spinach for breakfast. Good luck. You can look at my food logs; my ID is RichardBuckner.
Rick