FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/457-atkins.html)

viridiann 02-20-2010 08:15 AM

Atkins

Anyone doing ATKINS diet?

annievaughn 02-20-2010 01:21 PM

I have been doing Atkins since last September and have lost 32 lbs. I really haven't lost much since Xmas, however, just been hovering about the same weight.

monnikjuh 02-20-2010 03:20 PM

Yes i'am doing Atkins and it work's fine for me , are you just started ?
You can ask a starter package on Link removed for 19,99 Euro .

I'am now in phase 1 the 3 week , i just do phase 1 4 weeks because you have to lose 10-15 kilo to go to the next phase so i have to 7 kilo . Than i going to phase 2 .

wcwendy 02-21-2010 01:22 AM

There are a few different versions of Atkins, but I prefer the original from 1972. You can buy the book used. It's really pretty simple to follow, IMO. It takes a few days to get used to not eating a bunch of carbs, but cravings diminish and it gets easier and easier, IME.

kailaross 02-21-2010 04:08 AM

I'm at it again

Originally Posted by viridiann (Post 3902)
Anyone doing ATKINS diet?

I think it is very important to read the book and understand the underlying principles. This is a program that forces your body to burn fat rather than sugar. I firmly believe the controlled carb diet is the best lifetime plan, but I confess that my own addictive behaviour has taken control time and time again. The Atkins program works for weight loss, and a feel good body.... but I have repeated it a number of times and then fallen back into gorging on bread and sneaking chocolate bars.

I'm off to a fresh start and am reading the book again. THIS TIME will be different.

monnikjuh 02-21-2010 09:35 AM

I 'am custom now the new books of Atkins and i order them to . The first book calt Atkins dieet revolutie . And it really works what is the different to the old one and the new one ?
Is it muts our is just that there are new product on the marked ?

jamsandwichjd 02-22-2010 05:15 PM

Just curious if there's any critical information in the books that isn't on the Atkins website. I just kicked off an attempt at taking on Atkins today, but I'm not particularly interested in shelling out for diet books.

Until my wife got pregnant (2.5 long years ago), I'd been following a pretty principled GI diet, which works well for me. I fell off the wagon in a huge way (more so now that she's pregnant again and eating accordingly) and I've decided to start taking off some of this extra weight (40 lbs) by doing something a little more restrictive than the GI approach (but with its own appeal, being a little friendlier to fats)... once I get close to my goal weight I'll have to re-evaluate whether Atkins is still right for me, but my understanding is that once you hit the later phases, Atkins and GI share a lot, so maybe that won't be the case.

Anyhow, hope I can take off a big chunk of the weight before the second baby comes. :)

monnikjuh 02-22-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jamsandwichjd (Post 4117)
Just curious if there's any critical information in the books that isn't on the Atkins website. I just kicked off an attempt at taking on Atkins today, but I'm not particularly interested in shelling out for diet books.

Until my wife got pregnant (2.5 long years ago), I'd been following a pretty principled GI diet, which works well for me. I fell off the wagon in a huge way (more so now that she's pregnant again and eating accordingly) and I've decided to start taking off some of this extra weight (40 lbs) by doing something a little more restrictive than the GI approach (but with its own appeal, being a little friendlier to fats)... once I get close to my goal weight I'll have to re-evaluate whether Atkins is still right for me, but my understanding is that once you hit the later phases, Atkins and GI share a lot, so maybe that won't be the case.

Anyhow, hope I can take off a big chunk of the weight before the second baby comes. :)

Hi, Well that is all about is generally found in the book really explained things well, and recipes. I do it 2 weeks and borrowed the first book in the library. Now I buy them online via a second site Link removed in Netherlands. Since I bought one of nou 10 euros and the others are there too. That was or
and because I am sure that I'll do a live Atkins probably get me that book and therefore it is handy if you need ofso equally clear that you can look into the books without the Internet / library to go and I think the book is good because you can even get asked to reflect on all the chapters and the first day and drives to the seventh day and then the 14 day and you simply experience discomfort etc. So then I one type of diet diary red line effect.

louisagholson 03-01-2010 10:03 PM

How was your day?

I started today. Printed information about last night. I drank 2 cups of coffee (with no sugar) and 3 cups of water so far. I had 2 servings of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey (baked) this morning. I drink water or coffee when I feel hungry and wait to see what happens. None of my usual carbs today. Planning a chicken ceasar salad for dinner. I always had a sluggish feel to me, but today I don't at all. It's made a difference. I was causing my lethargy and the guilt is gone now that I have the solution. I've been reading all day about nutrition. I had a Wellness class this afternoon, and I'm surprised how much I retained. I feel confident.

Louisa

gnattylove 03-02-2010 02:04 PM

I am doing a modified version of Atkins. I eat 20 carbs or less for 3 days then on day four I eat higher carbs. Not bad carbs but apples, bananas, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc. Then go back to three days under 20 carbs. It has helped me stay on the diet and I am actually losing weight like crazy. I was having long plateaus on just doing 20 carbs or less a day. I can stick to this better because I know I can have the higher carb fruits and veggies and that forth day.

Hope this helps,
Natalie

dejamama 03-05-2010 02:45 PM

I am on Atkins and loving it !

RachelsDream 03-05-2010 06:25 PM

It was good to read your message. Since I started Atkins I do not have the desire to always take a nap in the afternoon! You know, the "slump" you have in the afternoon. It is finally gone! I am tired a little by five or so, but I feel different being off alot of carbs. I still eat a square of dark chocolate to curb my chocolate addiction and that seems to work for me.

Also, in not eating breads, pasta...it seems like I do not have IBS symptoms as much anymore. I think Atkins is a good choice...you feel like you have more liberty in what you can eat. :)

Rachel

mrsrs 03-05-2010 09:50 PM

I started trying to lose about 50 pounds a few months before Christmas through the Weight Watchers at Work program in my office. I'd been roughly following that plan for awhile without seeing much in the way of results. I lost a total of 7 or 8 pounds in two and a half months (not much). I was getting fed up with the slow weight loss and counting points so I figured it was time to switch plans.

I'd done Atkins in the past with limited success but after awhile, the weight loss would slow and I would give up so I was reluctant to try it again but I was really feeling like I needed to get serious about my weight. On January 15th, 2010 I started Atkins again but this time I was determined to do it correctly. I started induction with a vengeance, being diligent about keeping my carbs under 20grams per day. I lost about 5 pounds in two weeks—better then on Weight Watchers but still not what I was expecting. I started searching the Atkins discussion boards for help. I found a great hint from a woman trying to get past a plateau and I thought "Hey... that's not a bad idea!" and decided to try it.

What she suggested is that you monitor you carb, protein and fat percentages each day to ensure you get the right break down. You should be eating approximately 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs. I put all my food into FitDay until I got the percentages correct and you know what? It works! It works REALLY well. I've been following this formula now for 30 days without a single cheat. I've lost a total of 16 pounds in just one month! I am shocked but I’m going to keep going as long as it continues to work for me. I posted this in the hopes that it might encourage others who are not experiencing fast weight loss on Atkins. Try it! Maybe it might work for you too!

dejamama 03-06-2010 03:29 PM

I lost 20 pounds so far on atkins and will start induction again after I enjoy my lowcarb birthday cake but I know`not to go crazy.

dejamama 03-06-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrsrs (Post 5149)
i started trying to lose about 50 pounds a few months before christmas through the weight watchers at work program in my office. I'd been roughly following that plan for awhile without seeing much in the way of results. I lost a total of 7 or 8 pounds in two and a half months (not much). I was getting fed up with the slow weight loss and counting points so i figured it was time to switch plans.
This sounds great maybe i should do it!:p

i'd done atkins in the past with limited success but after awhile, the weight loss would slow and i would give up so i was reluctant to try it again but i was really feeling like i needed to get serious about my weight. On january 15th, 2010 i started atkins again but this time i was determined to do it correctly. I started induction with a vengeance, being diligent about keeping my carbs under 20grams per day. I lost about 5 pounds in two weeks—better then on weight watchers but still not what i was expecting. I started searching the atkins discussion boards for help. I found a great hint from a woman trying to get past a plateau and i thought "hey... That's not a bad idea!" and decided to try it.

What she suggested is that you monitor you carb, protein and fat percentages each day to ensure you get the right break down. You should be eating approximately 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs. I put all my food into fitday until i got the percentages correct and you know what? It works! It works really well. I've been following this formula now for 30 days without a single cheat. I've lost a total of 16 pounds in just one month! I am shocked but i’m going to keep going as long as it continues to work for me. I posted this in the hopes that it might encourage others who are not experiencing fast weight loss on atkins. Try it! Maybe it might work for you too!

will start next week i am turning 30 and plan do eat right.

dejamama 03-07-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by rachelsdream (Post 5124)
it was good to read your message. Since i started atkins i do not have the desire to always take a nap in the afternoon! You know, the "slump" you have in the afternoon. It is finally gone! I am tired a little by five or so, but i feel different being off alot of carbs. I still eat a square of dark chocolate to curb my chocolate addiction and that seems to work for me.

Also, in not eating breads, pasta...it seems like i do not have ibs symptoms as much anymore. I think atkins is a good choice...you feel like you have more liberty in what you can eat. :)

rachel

wait a few weeks and try ithonly whole foods/ no chocolate you will lose more weight

dejamama 03-11-2010 11:18 AM

Hello again its day one for me, my start weight is 200 pounds an d i wear a size 16 does anyone want to join me in posting meals and weigh ins.

dejamama 03-11-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dejamama (Post 5213)
I lost 20 pounds so far on atkins and will start induction again after I enjoy my lowcarb birthday cake but I know`not to go crazy.

I HAD TO QUOTE MY SELF, I DID GO ALL OUT AT MY B-DAY PARTY PIZZA AND ALL.:o

cullicocopop 03-11-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by gnattylove (Post 4847)
I am doing a modified version of Atkins. I eat 20 carbs or less for 3 days then on day four I eat higher carbs. Not bad carbs but apples, bananas, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc. Then go back to three days under 20 carbs. It has helped me stay on the diet and I am actually losing weight like crazy. I was having long plateaus on just doing 20 carbs or less a day. I can stick to this better because I know I can have the higher carb fruits and veggies and that forth day.

Hope this helps,
Natalie

This sounds like a great idea. I've just started this today. I think I will try it this way for a while - I can hold out longer with one day of limited carbs than trying to do "none. forever..." :-) I quit smoking last summer and gained 30 lbs :eek: and now - since Christmas I've lost 12 but - still need to lose another 25 - (I was a little over where I want to be when I quit smoking) - because I'm getting married July 10th and that's coming faster than you can imagine.

Hope to check in here often.

culli

dejamama 03-11-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by cullicocopop (Post 5612)
this sounds like a great idea. I've just started this today. I think i will try it this way for a while - i can hold out longer with one day of limited carbs than trying to do "none. Forever..." :-) i quit smoking last summer and gained 30 lbs :eek: And now - since christmas i've lost 12 but - still need to lose another 25 - (i was a little over where i want to be when i quit smoking) - because i'm getting married july 10th and that's coming faster than you can imagine.

Culli

congrats on getting married, i hope i could say i do one day!

dejamama 03-13-2010 01:06 PM

Hello to all on atkins been eating 15 carbs a day i gained alot these past 6 months
i am really trying to not cheat this time i will see 6 months from now

mandystevens1990 03-15-2010 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by cullicocopop (Post 5612)
This sounds like a great idea. I've just started this today. I think I will try it this way for a while - I can hold out longer with one day of limited carbs than trying to do "none. forever..." :-) I quit smoking last summer and gained 30 lbs :eek: and now - since Christmas I've lost 12 but - still need to lose another 25 - (I was a little over where I want to be when I quit smoking) - because I'm getting married July 10th and that's coming faster than you can imagine.

culli

i'm getting married in july, too :)

kathiesaccount 03-16-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kailaross (Post 3995)
I think it is very important to read the book and understand the underlying principles. This is a program that forces your body to burn fat rather than sugar. I firmly believe the controlled carb diet is the best lifetime plan, but I confess that my own addictive behaviour has taken control time and time again. The Atkins program works for weight loss, and a feel good body.... but I have repeated it a number of times and then fallen back into gorging on bread and sneaking chocolate bars.

I'm off to a fresh start and am reading the book again. THIS TIME will be different.

I've read the books and understand it. It works for some but not me. I was having issues with it health wise - getting the shakes etc. I've been doing the Zone for ten years with no issues, I'll stick to that. I need to keep my blood sugar level all day (I have low blood sugar) so the Zone helps me with that and I maintain a good, healthy weight.

Kathie

gretch33 03-17-2010 08:40 PM

New Atkins for a New You

I started today. I've sort of been weening myself off of carbs the last week or so but life got in the way.

Really trying to break my gum habit. Any suggestions?

dejamama 03-19-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gretch33 (Post 6197)
i started today. I've sort of been weening myself off of carbs the last week or so but life got in the way.

Really trying to break my gum habit. Any suggestions?

type in on your computer stevia gum thats how i stop chewing just try to only chew 4 pieces of this a day.

spanishblueyes 03-20-2010 10:14 AM

I do a diet similar to atkins but with different macro levels. Its the ketogenic diet. 65% fat 30% protein and 5% carb. It wasnt too much of a leap for me since i was already doing low carb. What was hard was trying to eat all that fat. Some people use it in an atkins similar fashion, but with heart disease in my family i tend to eat healthier fats. Whole egg omelets are my biggest sin. I eat avocados and nuts for my fats and stick to chicken, tuna or lean beef for my protein. Caloric limitations still apply but youd be amazed how full you can feel on this diet.But i feel more satisfied and still get great results in the gym. Its a long scientific process but basically it forces your body to use fat as its source of fuel instead of carbs. You can check it out on the bodybuilding.com forums under Nutrition.

DeathArrow 03-20-2010 07:18 PM

I have a question. How can you guys survive on so FEW carbs??? :eek:
Seriously, I thought the Atkins diet was not a good diet because once you get off it, you gain it all back (at least what I have heard) and...it's not healthy because your body isn't meant to live off so few carbs (again, what I have heard).
So how can you guys say you actually like it? What exactly are you guys eating? Lol
I want to lose about 20-30 pounds, and I've been going slowly after my own just-eating-healthy diet...and this Atkins diet seems way too much of a quick fix, and to make it worse, it seems like you guys are saying it's EASY. Too good to be true guys, Hahaha, so just tell me..what are you guys eating? How long do you plan to do it? Is it really a healthy approach to weight loss?
Even so, I still wouldn't do it because that would involve telling my dad to buy Atkins stuff and he's just gonna be like "why why why"

spanishblueyes 03-20-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeathArrow (Post 6412)
Seriously, I thought the Atkins diet was not a good diet because once you get off it, you gain it all back (at least what I have heard) and...it's not healthy because your body isn't meant to live off so few carbs (again, what I have heard).
So how can you guys say you actually like it? What exactly are you guys eating? Lol
I want to lose about 20-30 pounds, and I've been going slowly after my own just-eating-healthy diet...and this Atkins diet seems way too much of a quick fix, and to make it worse, it seems like you guys are saying it's EASY. Too good to be true guys, Hahaha, so just tell me..what are you guys eating? How long do you plan to do it? Is it really a healthy approach to weight loss?
Even so, I still wouldn't do it because that would involve telling my dad to buy Atkins stuff and he's just gonna be like "why why why"

Well mine is different than Atkins. Right now i am actually on Dave Palumbos cut diet for women. Its strictly clean eating. No premade bars or products. It work to keep you building muscle while shedding fat. Im used to it since i been doing mostly low carb(with cheat periods) for a couple years now. As for the body not bieng meant to live off so few carbs i beg to differ. We did it for thousands of years before they invented all the carbs we ingest. We lived off fat and protein with some carbs from plant sources. We were NOT meant to eat the processed crap we toss into the chutes these days. Since im female my diet is different than a males. But here is what a day looks like for me. No special packaged diet foods in it.
meal 1: 2 whole eggs + 6 whites
Meal 2: 35 g whey protein + 1 tbsp NATURAL(nothing but peanuts) peanut butter
Meal 3: 6 oz chicken with 1/4 cup almonds,walnuts or almonds
Meal 4: 6 oz salmon or red meat with a green salad(no red veggies or corn) and 1 tbsp of olive oil
Meal 5: 35 g whey with 1 tbsp natural pb or 2 whole eggs and 6 whites.

Now keep in mind this is a cut diet so it isnt really meant for maintenance. Its a precontest diet for bodybuilders but alot of people also use it to drop a few quick ones. But ketogenic is meant for a longer stretch. There are 2 versions of keto. After the initial 2 week phase that gets you into keto you either carb up one whole day a week or you carb up one meal daily, usually before you workout. Google it to read more or go to the forums on bodybuilding.com Good luck.

dejamama 03-21-2010 10:41 AM

Well being atkins is what works for me otherwise i would be eating sugar and all these prepackaged meal

sb_thats_me 03-22-2010 06:40 PM

Natalie...that sounds like a good plan to me. I have been off and on Atkins for a couple of months now and can't seem to stay 'on' long enough to lose anything. Maybe if I try your approach.

ibrich 03-23-2010 02:12 AM

I lost over 60 lbs eating low carb. I mostly did a modified Atkins diet, but taylored it to my lifestyle. That and walking. I got away from both around Christmas, but am now getting back to it. It is mostly a matter of being aware of what you eat and making good, healthy choices. So many of the carbs we eat are empty and useless. Once you get used to not eating carbs, it isn't hard at all. And if you get hungry, you can always gnosh out on boiled eggs. I usually a low sugar yogart for breakfast and meat and salad for lunch and supper. If I get to needing a snack I try to eat fruit, but occasionally eat sugar-free jello and whipped topping.

Hickonthehill 03-23-2010 11:41 AM

HI All, I'm on a sort of Atkins-type diet - well low carbs anyway, and have been doing really well - lost 20lbs since November. The think which is killing me is being hungry! I work in an office so get temptation to snack a lot -there area always cakes and sweets around, which I am managing to avoid. I eat 3 apples during my working day as they are the easiest thing to pack and keep fresh, but they really don't satisfy my munchies! Does anyone have anything which is easy to prepare, keep fresh, and will keep me full between meals. Unfortunately I'm not big on raw veggies!:(

Lizzycritter 03-23-2010 01:18 PM

I need protein to feel full, an apple alone wouldn't do it for me either. My snacks are usually a fruit plus a protein. Low fat string cheese is easy to pack, it comes in single serving sizes, and some don't need to be refrigerated. Nuts are good but high in fat. Hard boiled eggs are good too, you can eat just the white and discard the yolk.

angabre 03-24-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by DeathArrow (Post 6412)

Atkins is not what most people think it is. I eat alot and I'm full. Phase 1 restricts you to only certain vegtables. But these are low carb veggies so you are actually eating alot of them! You can have unlimited meats (within reason) but there isn't much room for alot once you've ate a plate full of veggies. That is only phase one. Phase 2 you gradually add back more veggies, nuts, fruits and more. And slowly up your carbs. The idea is that everyone has a different threshold for carbs so you keep adding until your weight loss stops or slows.
It isn't a quick fix. It is intended to be a way of eating for the rest of your life. But the phase 1 of only 20 carbs is not he way you will be eating from now on. That is only for 2 or so weeks.
You don't need the products. lots of people don't use them at all. And there are lessons on the site that pretty much tell you how to do it.

dejamama 03-26-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by angabre (Post 6658)
atkins is not what most people think it is. I eat alot and i'm full. Phase 1 restricts you to only certain vegtables. But these are low carb veggies so you are actually eating alot of them! You can have unlimited meats (within reason) but there isn't much room for alot once you've ate a plate full of veggies. That is only phase one. Phase 2 you gradually add back more veggies, nuts, fruits and more. And slowly up your carbs. The idea is that everyone has a different threshold for carbs so you keep adding until your weight loss stops or slows.
It isn't a quick fix. It is intended to be a way of eating for the rest of your life. But the phase 1 of only 20 carbs is not he way you will be eating from now on. That is only for 2 or so weeks.
You don't need the products. Lots of people don't use them at all. And there are lessons on the site that pretty much tell you how to do it.

for those who need help go to lowcarbfriends .com it helps me also try bellalowcarb

SerenityCat 03-29-2010 08:17 PM

I also prefer the older method of the Atkins diet as it works better for my lifestyle. Some will tell you that you absolutely, MUST do it the new way or it won't work. Bull.

One example of a difference between old school Atkins and new Atkins: The old way you weren't allowed any coffee for Induction, now, apparently, you can have coffee.

Just do the one that works for you and don't worry about anyone who may be so militant about the whole thing.

The first two weeks you want to stay under 20 grams of carbs a day...(or longer if you want to stay on Induction longer), but you will not eat this way the rest of your life. You will gradually add some carbs back in to your life; it's just not realistic to eat under the Induction plan forever. Basically you're trying to get your body in to Ketosis, which changes the way it handles the blood sugar and what not. I'm not going to get in to it all here and be technical, just get the book; whatever version you want.

Also, there has been a major misconception about the Atkins Diet since the beginning. Never, anywhere, did Atkins say you could eat a pound of bacon a day. That was never, ever, EVER said.

What you want to do is eat low carb veggies, eggs, meat, cheese to get your minimal carbs, fat and protein. You also want to take a vitamin and some Omega-3 capsules. The weight will fly off but do not look at it as a quick fix and then you go back to how you ate before, you want to establish a lifestyle of eating way less carbs than you normally do. Just look at the amount of carbs in ONE serving of pop, (soda), or fruit juices. You can have all your carbs for the day with just one of those.

You want to be cutting out bread, pasta, sugar, rice, fruits, (for Induction at least), starches, (no potatoes and corn on Induction for sure)...pretty much any processed foods and start to eat whole foods that you prepare yourself.

The reason it works so well and is so popular is because you see results almost immediately and that gives people the incentive to continue rather than waiting 6-8 weeks to see any difference.

But you need to know what you are doing before you do it. And frankly, I'm not as militant as many Atkins dieters in that I think you should use whatever book you want and follow it so that you will succeed.

If doing Induction for 3 weeks or 4 weeks works, do that. If you go a little over 20 carbs a day, don't worry. If you are less than 20 carbs a day, don't worry. Just read the book so that you know what you're doing and don't listen to the articles that tell you it's all about eating a pound of bacon and that it doesn't work. It DOES work for most people.

rebeccalatham 03-30-2010 12:00 AM

My name is Rebecca Latham and I have been doing Atkins since March 15, 2009.

rebeccalatham 03-30-2010 12:03 AM

Have you ever considered doing the actual Atkins Diet? I do and I am never hungry and I've lost weight. My profile is in the new book "The New Atkins for a New You". Do you mind if I ask what your reason is for modifying it?

joyfulpsalm 03-31-2010 01:40 AM

Hi Rebecca I just figured out how to use this fit day. I have been on the adkins for 28 days. Frustrated at first as I was trying to figure it all out and wasn't loosing weight but after reading and trying to figure it out. I wasn't getting my carbs 12-15 from my vegies and you should space them out which i corrected. than I figured out you have to moderate the added fats. So now its like starting all over again, but so far ive lost 11 lbs. I'm looking forward to better sucess. My calories are still under 1400 so im trying to firgure how to get my calories up some.

desertmountain 03-31-2010 03:46 PM

I lost a ton of weight very fast on Atkins the first time but it didn't work as fast the 2nd time and didn't work at all the 3rd time. The first 2 times as soon as I started eating the Atkins breads & allowable snacks, the cravings would hit me like a ton of bricks & eventually I'd eat off plan & that would kick me out of ketosis and my weight would balloon up quickly. By the 3rd time I knew that it was the processed Atkins foods that had grains triggering my cravings and I avoided them but I just wasn't loosing weight even though I stayed strictly on track. It was sad and I really wished that I had stayed with it the first time since the weight came off really, really fast. I lost weight faster on Atkins than with any other plan except for the intense exercise program, P90, along with low calorie eating. For a meat-lover like myself Atkins is definitely easier than any other plan I've tried.
Now I'm eating a modified South Beach, with no grains and very, very limited starchy veggies since carbs immediately cause a weight gain for me. This seems to be working out for me.
I think Atkins is great. If you're doing it for the first time my advice is to stay strong and stay with it until you've reached your goal weight b/c like many people it may not bring you the same results the second or third time around. And if you're having unusual cravings, check for grains in the processed low-carb foods. I think some of us just can't eat grains without cravings or weight gain.
Good luck to all of you! :)