FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/457-atkins.html)

joyfulpsalm 03-31-2010 10:07 AM

Thanks for your info desert mountain. I really am not hungry at all and I find it even hard to have 2 snacks aday. I'm not a meat eater so this has been a whole new eating curve. Im eating because i have to get my protein up I can't say I enjoy it. I would like to eat 2-3 oz of meat instead of the 4 oz. My calories still are low enough if I was on a calories diet it stays between 1200 to 1500 daily I'm not loosing fast as you did.

KidStarburst 04-04-2010 11:12 AM

I've already lost 13 lbs and i've been on it for little less than a month.
The hardest thing is switching over diets.
I think its good to lose weight fast, but in the long run hard to stay on.

typort 04-05-2010 06:53 AM

I'm just restarting this program, I would LOVE to participate in weigh-ins, etc. I'm new to the site, so not sure how to navigate everything yet though.

my2littleangels 04-11-2010 02:44 AM

Induction (Atkins)

Originally Posted by viridiann (Post 3902)
Anyone doing ATKINS diet?

Hi !!! I'm in my 2nd week of induction, I weight myself yesterday and so far I lost 6.5 pounds , now my weight is 175.5.... I'm very happy about the results!!! Many years ago I lost 54 pounds with atkins after I have my son , then i gain half back , then i used to folow waight watechers wich i love it !!! but I had a baby back in dec. i was up to 209 pounds, trying to watch i was stucked between 182 & 185 so i decide to start atkins i haven't read the new edition i started the way i follow 12 years ago.... i'm going to try to stay in induction diet this month... I feel great with a lot of energy... Bye... Alexandra...

RGInCanada 04-13-2010 02:33 AM

Yep! Three weeks ago this Thursday, my doctor called me a fat bastage, and pointed out that my weight and blood pressure had been creeping up for five years, while my blood work had gone downhill. On top of all that, I had several nasty encounters with back pain.

The Doc suggested Atkins, because it had worked for him. I went out that night, bought the new book, and read the chapter on Induction. I started the diet the next day. Since then I've finished the book, and have started using FitDay to help track and tweak my food choices.

The result? I've lost 18 pounds in under three weeks.

Like my2littleangels I've decided to stay on Induction for a few more weeks. I am not hungry, and not experiencing any major cravings. While I am getting excellent results so far, the true test is where I'm at in a year.

(Stay tuned!)

RGInCanada 04-13-2010 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hickonthehill (Post 6552)
HI All, I'm on a sort of Atkins-type diet...I eat 3 apples during my working day(

Atkins' Induction phase allows 20g "net carbs" per day... each whole apple has 14g net carbs

I'm certainly not an expert on the Atkins diet, but three apples a day is a huge no-no. Check out the Link removed for an overview of the diet and snack suggestions. You shouldn't be hungry if you are doing the diet "by the book"

RGInCanada 04-16-2010 07:54 AM

Check up on Atkin's folks... How's the weight loss going?

(Week three of induction, down 7.0 pounds since last Friday!)

Mammac5 04-17-2010 04:45 AM

Hey, fellow low-carbers!

I lost about 90 lbs on Atkins ~ 5 years ago and kept it off...until starting nursing school. I'd gained about 15 of those nasty pounds back so restarted Induction on 04/05/10 and it's been great so far. I'm down from 165 to 159 and feeling pretty good.

My "happy weight" is 150, which I had gotten to previously by LCing and working out/running. I fully admit that my back and knees are not going to put up with much running these days, but I've been getting a walk in daily and trying to do a little stretching...all as time allows.

Everybody warned me about gaining weight while in nursing school...I'm determined to get to my happy weight again in the next month or so.

RGInCanada 04-17-2010 07:27 AM

Welcome back Mammac5! Congrats on the loss so far!

miche11ec3 04-18-2010 05:45 PM

Atkins low carb diet

Hi,

Anyone following the New Atkins New you diet? I have been following a low carb diet for nearly 2 years and am down from a high of 212lbs. Have been yoyoing with 20lbs for the last 6 months or so. Before that I had years of low fat low calorie dieting and I failed to maintain my weight loss every time. 50 years of being fat is way too long.

I know this diet curbs my cravings when I get it right.

I have metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. Hope to avoid becoming diabetic by cutting back on my sugar and starch intake.

Fitday is such a useful tool to see where my carbs and calories are coming from.

Michelle

RGInCanada 04-19-2010 12:55 AM

Hi Michelle,

I'm on the "new" Atkins diet as well. So far it has worked very well. I choose to stay in Induction for a little longer. After a little under four weeks I've dropped 22 of the 50 pounds I need to get rid of.

I plan on transitioning to the next stage (Ongoing weight loss) in the next week or so.

Good luck!

Divtos 04-20-2010 11:06 AM

I did Atkins for a long time and it initially helped me lose a lot of weight. I went from over 300 to about 250 but then held steady permanently at 250.

I think the bottom line is that fat holds a lot of calories and with unlimited fat calories I just held my own.

I think that low carbs is definitely a winning diet strategy but you need to limit fat and or total calories eventually.

I've since cut down on the fat and went higher protein and that helped me lose another 50 lbs. I'm currently using BFFM and find it very logical/intuitive.

cullicocopop 04-21-2010 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mandystevens1990 (Post 5908)
i'm getting married in july, too :)

congrats Mandy!

I'm still plugging in there. had a bad shock when I realized I had NOT lost the 12 lbs - or had gained it back fooling around and cheating through March. No more. I'm really on the program now and people are asking me if I'm losing weight.

YAY!

SoonToBeMrsV 05-06-2010 02:34 AM

New to Atkins - Getting married :)

Hi everyone! It seems like you have such a great group of motivators here and that is what I need :) I am just starting Atkins ... I am only on Day 2 today but am so excited about it. I am getting married in September and really would like to lose at LEAST 20 pounds, but hopefully 30. I am excited to get to know everyone and help support in any way I can! Have a wonderful day :)

mlmaggio 05-06-2010 12:55 PM

I am... love it

Sholee 05-07-2010 04:22 AM

Hi everyone,
doing Atkins too here, 4 weeks - lost 11 kg, many more to go.

try this MiM from Atkins.com

Ingredients:

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

Directions:

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added.

Some people count the flax as a carb/fiber wash, so then the net carbs would be 2.78.

I replaced cinnamon with unsweetened cocoa powder (1 tsp - 0,4 net carbs according to the book), yummy :)

susiethibs 05-08-2010 05:38 AM

New today to fitday

I am restarting Atkins after years of weight gain from the time I lost weight on the program. However, I chose Atkins again because the program is the only one that gave me energy, diminished my hunger and saw weight loss results unlike any other program. At the time, I was able to keep the weight off for 6 years as long as I stuck to the program and incorporated an exercise routine. It does work! My weight loss success story was published in a book, which book is very motivating. Great motivational stories about people who have lost weight and how they keep in off. I encourage all to read the book and its successor book entitled:

Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher and
Eating Think for Life by Anne Fletcher (Nutritionist)

Hope we can all encourage one another from this day forward. thanks all.

susiethibs 05-08-2010 05:40 AM

Restarting Atkins too. Let's motivate each other!

susiethibs 05-08-2010 05:41 AM

Same for me

honey_mocha 05-10-2010 12:51 PM

I to am starting Atkins again after losing 125 lbs on it back in 2005 but have since gained it all back and then some ugggh. I have managed to lose 50 lbs before starting Atkins but it seems I need that extra push and Atkins is it.

Let's motivate each other like another posts said. I am so happy I found this site, it's great! :)

lil.oh.me 05-12-2010 08:09 AM

Hi, I am also starting Atkins again today. Keyword: AGAIN.

Geez. So, I did Atkins a couple of times, lost at least 60 lbs. quickly, and gained the weight back. I am an emotional eater. That's all I have to say about that. From this point on, that can't be my excuse. I am starting Atkins again to try and get the sexy, young me back. There is more to this story.

Does anybody know anything about the KFC grilled double down? I did try it today. Not sure about the sauce on it though.

Anywwhhhooo-- I am so glad to see others with similar struggles (working on losing the weight again, love issues adding weight, families, and etc.) and I hope we can be here for each other. I know I need the support.

lil.oh.me 05-12-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by honey_mocha (Post 10519)
I to am starting Atkins again after losing 125 lbs on it back in 2005 but have since gained it all back and then some ugggh. I have managed to lose 50 lbs before starting Atkins but it seems I need that extra push and Atkins is it.

Let's motivate each other like another posts said. I am so happy I found this site, it's great! :)

That is awesome! That is a lot of weight, you should be proud. So, you had a little setback. I heard this saying once: If you don't quit when you stop, it's just a pause.

I have a question for you though. Do you feel like since you lost the weight on Atkins and gained it back, that your body shape has changed?

lil.oh.me 05-12-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by susiethibs (Post 10372)
I encourage all to read the book and its successor book entitled:
Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher and
Eating Think for Life by Anne Fletcher (Nutritionist)

Thanks for the books. I also have done hypnosis/mediation cds in the past. They were wonderful. I just felt better. Of course, I stopped. I'm dealling with "forgiveness" issues. Believe it or not, I'm gaining happy fat now, just too much of it, from a new relationship. WTH?:rolleyes:

terribear27 05-13-2010 06:05 AM

Hi! I have been doing Atkins for a little more than 3 weeks and have lost 16 pounds! I just tried MIMS today and loved them. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty and filling they are.YUM! Still exploring the sight and trying to figure things out. I am looking forward to finding support and losing about 70 more pounds! Have a great day!

lil.oh.me 05-14-2010 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by terribear27 (Post 10769)
Hi! I have been doing Atkins for a little more than 3 weeks and have lost 16 pounds! I just tried MIMS today and loved them. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty and filling they are.YUM! Still exploring the sight and trying to figure things out. I am looking forward to finding support and losing about 70 more pounds! Have a great day!

Congratulations on your weight loss. I know you must feel soooo good. Well, I'm just on day 3 of induction--starting over after major setbacks. But, anywhooo--I'm trying to figure the site out also. I hope you'll stay.

terribear27 05-14-2010 03:44 AM

Thanks! I am still doing the induction phase too. I am planning on hanging around this sight for a while. It is helping to keep me on my toes, watching what I am eating, especially calorie wise. :D

RichardBuckner 05-14-2010 04:58 AM

help me get started

Hi I am new and am interested in how to initiate a thread. I am in Atkins first week of induction and finally got down to 20 net carbs. I am terribly hungry between supper and breakfast. Can you tell me how to link up with a friend on fitday so he/she can see my journals? I am interested in a diet buddy.
RichardBuckner

RichardBuckner 05-14-2010 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 10846)
Congratulations on your weight loss. I know you must feel soooo good. Well, I'm just on day 3 of induction--starting over after major setbacks. But, anywhooo--I'm trying to figure the site out also. I hope you'll stay.

We are about the same place in our diets. Do you know how I can request that a fitday member be a friend so we can see each other's public journal entries? Message me if you want about starting over.
RichardBuckner

terribear27 05-14-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 10846)

Thanks for the cheer! I do feel energized. I too have had to start over but I am determined to stick with it. I am definitely here for the long hall. :p

terribear27 05-14-2010 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 10859)
Hi I am new and am interested in how to initiate a thread. I am in Atkins first week of induction and finally got down to 20 net carbs. I am terribly hungry between supper and breakfast. Can you tell me how to link up with a friend on fitday so he/she can see my journals? I am interested in a diet buddy.
RichardBuckner

I have no idea how to initiate a new thread. If you want to make your menu public you have to go to your profile page and follow the instructions. I am also not sure what you mean by linking up. I just click on the discussions page. But I am really just learning the ropes. This is all new to me. If you find out please share

All I know is fitday is helping me keep track of calories and carbs and I am loving it. I am sure someone more qualified will be able to answer your questions better. Congrats on beginning your journey and best of luck. I am sure you will meet with success.;)

lil.oh.me 05-14-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by terribear27 (Post 10853)
Thanks! I am still doing the induction phase too. I am planning on hanging around this sight for a while. It is helping to keep me on my toes, watching what I am eating, especially calorie wise. :D

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 10861)
We are about the same place in our diets. Do you know how I can request that a fitday member be a friend so we can see each other's public journal entries? Message me if you want about starting over.
RichardBuckner

Hey guys! Sorry, at work trying to read, reply, and oh yeah--do work. LOL! Well, welcome RB. I am not sure how to start a new thread. Still trying to figure the site out. Not as easy as some I've seen, but I like it.

Next--TerriB, in your post you mentioned keeping up with calories. Did you mean carbs or are calories? I ask because calories are supposed to be a lower priority, shall we say, than keeping up with carbs. Please hip me to what you mean. Maybe I need to follow suit.

Also, I feel so much better this day 3. I was an evil person yesterday. Just felt tense. But, I feel much relieved and more energetic today. Well, perhaps I will do the keto stick in the morning to see if I'm in ketosis yet. I believe so.

Are you guys using the sticks? What about supplements? And, I still can't make myself get on a scale. How to overcome this feeling? Any takers on that one? LOL!

terribear27 05-14-2010 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 10870)
Hey guys! Sorry, at work trying to read, reply, and oh yeah--do work. LOL! Well, welcome RB. I am not sure how to start a new thread. Still trying to figure the site out. Not as easy as some I've seen, but I like it.

Next--TerriB, in your post you mentioned keeping up with calories. Did you mean carbs or are calories? I ask because calories are supposed to be a lower priority, shall we say, than keeping up with carbs. Please hip me to what you mean. Maybe I need to follow suit.

Also, I feel so much better this day 3. I was an evil person yesterday. Just felt tense. But, I feel much relieved and more energetic today. Well, perhaps I will do the keto stick in the morning to see if I'm in ketosis yet. I believe so.

Are you guys using the sticks? What about supplements? And, I still can't make myself get on a scale. How to overcome this feeling? Any takers on that one? LOL!

Hey!
I count carbs and calories. Though carbs are more restricted. My goal is to stay under 1800 calories so I can maximize weight loss. Sometimes I go over but most of the time I am under. I also try not to do less than 1200 because if you don't eat enough your body will store the fat and not burn it. Fit Day tells you how many calories you can eat to keep up with your weight loss goals.

I do take supplements but have not gone to the ketone sticks yet. But I do feel energized and much better than when I was eating all the carbs. I am going to stick with it this time!:rolleyes:

Keep in touch!

RichardBuckner 05-15-2010 04:23 AM

Yes I am on 5th day of induction. It is hard but I am approaching 20 net carbs per day. I will be a diet buddy to you if you want.

I need to know how to see responses to my replies that I made yesterday.

I need to know how to initiate a thread myself.

Can any one help on the above two questions?
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-15-2010 04:34 AM

Atkins, thread, diet buddy

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 10870)

I use the sticks, not every day. I have had 2 readings moderate one small (yesterday I did not exercise much, had a little cold and overate). I have had to start using Altoidsw (non caloric breath mints and lots of Act II mouthwash.

Don't weigh every day--say weekly about the same time and day. I have a not online diet buddy look at the scale and get rewarded or punished according to whether I have lost a quota or not. I am looking for an online diet buddy but do not know how to link up with a fitday member as "friends." Maybe you have to pay for that service. Does anyone know? FitDay is unresponsive to feedback. What you see is what you get. I do not know how to initiate a thread; does anyone?

Yesterday was my worst day but I am bouncing back. Will work out at the gym, trim trees, make fruit syrup and walk 5 miles on the beach this weekend. Any one in Ventura County care to join me on walks?
Rick

RichardBuckner 05-16-2010 04:02 AM

Yesterday, ending first week of induction, I got below 1,000 calories trying to get net carbes to 20; I achieved about 21 or 22. I was so weak, agitated and headachy I thought "This is rediculous, I need more food." I ate some walnuts, more reminiscent of OWL, and a date that completely blew my nc up to 29. Perhaps I would do better at OWL 25 nc to avoid the hunger and sedentery life. People are individuals. I will try until Tuesday to hit the 20 nc and then try the menus in the book "The New Atkins for a New You," then most definitly move on to OWL. I have lost 6 pounds and will see how much I have lost by the end of the second week. I would be comfortable at a pound a week. I am upping my exercise provided I am not weak. Anyone want to walk with me on the beach at Channel Islands Harbor?

lil.oh.me 05-17-2010 01:30 AM

Good morning guys! I didn't do THAT badly over the weekend, but I did do some sabotaging stuff. That's ok, I'm back. BEWARE THE CARB SMART ICE CREAM BARS. It was impossible to eat just one a day. This is the second time I've tried to do this and ate the box. Whew!

Terri--Cool, I got a lot from your post. Thank you. I do the ketosis sticks and supplements. This time around, I have not started either yet. I will keep you guys posted.

Richard--I will find a way to work this site and let you know. Looks like you're having major technical difficulties. Truthfully, I have not taken the time on the site to find the answers to your questions. Will try. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near your area.

I will get back to you guys in a few. Project due at noon. UGH!!

RichardBuckner 05-17-2010 03:06 AM

Progress on Atkins

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11016)
Good morning guys! I didn't do THAT badly over the weekend, but I did do some sabotaging stuff. That's ok, I'm back. BEWARE THE CARB SMART ICE CREAM BARS. It was impossible to eat just one a day. This is the second time I've tried to do this and ate the box. Whew!

Terri--Cool, I got a lot from your post. Thank you. I do the ketosis sticks and supplements. This time around, I have not started either yet. I will keep you guys posted.

Richard--I will find a way to work this site and let you know. Looks like you're having major technical difficulties. Truthfully, I have not taken the time on the site to find the answers to your questions. Will try. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near your area.

I will get back to you guys in a few. Project due at noon. UGH!!

For the second day I ate about 25 net carbs and 1,250 calories, not enough calories. But the terrible hunger pangs have subsided. I am losing inches on my waist even though the weight loss has slowed down. I think I am going to be able to do this. I am increasing my physical activity. Anybody in L A want to go on long walks on the beach at Channel Islands Harbor with me?

RichardBuckner 05-17-2010 10:21 AM

I am

lil.oh.me 05-18-2010 01:18 AM

So, Richard, tell us about yourself? Why are you trying to lose weight? What got you to this point, you think? Other stuff...

Also, did you post in the men's forum? They may have extra help for you because, as you know, men and women lose differently. I am looking for all the help I can get. I have had a little something extra everyday--like shelled peanuts. Am I purposely sabotaging myself?

RichardBuckner 05-18-2010 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 11079)
So, Richard, tell us about yourself? Why are you trying to lose weight? What got you to this point, you think? Other stuff...

Also, did you post in the men's forum? They may have extra help for you because, as you know, men and women lose differently. I am looking for all the help I can get. I have had a little something extra everyday--like shelled peanuts. Am I purposely sabotaging myself?

I ate a lot of nuts including peanuts I shelled up until reallygoing on the Induction phase. Walnuts seem to be a trigger. Also, it looks like I am going to have to give up dairy entirely including cream in my coffee and whipped cream on sugar free jello for one more week of induction. I find it very difficult to maintain 20 Net carbs and have settled out at about 25. My calories are very low, much less than the 1,850 that would allow me to lose 2 pounds a week. I have found it hard to have physical activity in the afternoon; I feel week and lack of energy. Yesterday I developed hives, took a benedryl and was conked out for the rest of the afternoon. My diet buddy is extremely important to me; I wish I could walk/exercise with her. I think I am going to think of the next week as a combination of induction and OWL and substitute blueberries for dairy products and nuts and allow 25 net carbs and be more physically active all day. After all the book recommends putting off more physical activity for the first two weeks of induction. I had a little virus Thursday and that totally disrupted my eating plan but I have tried to compensate for it since then. I think I will have lost another 2 pounds after an initial 6 pound loss and will know later today.
I will look into the men's forum. I did not know that men and women lose weight differently. I want to be in the Atkins forum.
I use every means I can imagine to trick my brain into making this fun and pleasant and not unpleasant; I play fun games, role playing and use formality (almost ritual) with my diet buddy. I trick my brain into thinking I am eating sweets by using Splenda and whipped cream. I use flavored 0 carbs soda water.
I did start exercising 20 minutes on the stationary bike yesterday. I work out an additional 40 minutes 3 times a week. I will start more sit ups, abs crunches (I have an abs roller) and push ups (I can do very few; I had a shoulder injury 3 years ago that is just healing. I hope to hire someone to help me on the yard and that will be incentive to more physical activity.
I am eating greens for breakfast or snacks, something I have never done before.
Atkins is not calorie counting, starvation or deprivation; it is just net carb counting.
I have to go work out and see my diet buddy. I will tell you more about myself and how I got here in a message later.
I will help you all I can; hope you can help me too.
Rick