View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #1696 (permalink)
Keily664
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeMWS View Post
"Weight/resistance training" is also called strength training. Exercises like push-ups are weight/resistance training. Yoga poses like the plank position are also. So are the exercises done on the weight machines at the gym or with free weights at home or the gym. The focus is to build muscles (as compared to aerobic exercise, in which the focus is to increase endurance and aerobic capacity).
By building muscles, we increase our lean body mass, which is the part that uses calories, so we can eat enough to get the nutrition we need without putting on fat. I also find that I feel better about myself as I get stronger. (Don't worry - you won't start looking like a football player. As we women build muscles, they are leaner than men's.)
Hope this helps!
Thank you. This does help A LOT. Though for some reason I seem to build muscle faster than all of my friends. My calf muscles are huge and I don't do any running or anything I used to do Pilates, which is where I might have gotten the muscles, but I honestly don't know. And yes i am certain that these ARE IN FACT calf muscles not fat.

I did some zumba this morning and I am about to go do some running/jogging/walking.

LOVE ALL,
Kaitlyn
Mini Goal: 220 lb.
Goal: 160 or less once I get there we'll see what I look like.

"Just keep swimming"
Quote from Dory
From the movie Finding Nemo
Keily664 is offline   Reply With Quote