View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

I'm a little older, but in the same height and weight ball park, 5'-2" and started at 244 pounds. I've lost 55 and this morning weighed 189. I started dieting in October, but quit between Thanksgiving and X-mas. I've lost 49 of the 55 since Boxing Day. What I do is strive for a healthy balanced diet and keep my calories below 1500-1600. I follow a pretty simple daily diet really, 3 pieces of fresh fruit, 6-10 servings of vegetables (fresh, broiled or boiled with no added oil or fat), 3-4 servings of low-cal lean proteins (at least one of fat free dairy) and 2 servings of low-cal, low-fat grain based carbs. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner plus an afternoon snack everyday. Skipping meals always sets me up for a fall because I'll binge in the end.

I also take a pretty hard ride on our elliptical every morning, usually in the neighborhood of 45 minutes. So I think your 30-60 minute walk is on the right track, especially if you push yourself and possibly push a stroller or carry weights. Once or twice a week I hit the gym for a one hour weight lifting session (truthfully I do this sometimes just to get a break from the kids....). I find as long as I keep my calorie intake lower than what I burn by 1000-1500 calories, I'm losing pretty steadily. At this point my diet is going well enough that I'm pretty sure I'll see 120 pounds by Christmas.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote