Thread: Are carbs bad?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy13118 View Post
Carbs have vitamins, minerals, and something called phytoestrogens and something called phytosterols. Then there's the fiber, too!
Carbohydrates are basically digestible sugars and no, they are not inherently bad, but they do have negative side effects if your body doesn't use them right away. Things like starch break down into glucose that can spike insulin, increase hunger, and, in cases where it goes very high, can cause damage to blood vessels. Fructose from fruits and sweeteners (like HFCS) gets converted to fat in the liver. Other sugars, like bread sugar or milk sugar, either is not absorbed in the gut, not metabolized, or breaks down in other ways. Carbohydrates themselves don't contain any vitamins, minerals, or antioxidants. Fiber is only technically a carb because it's not metabolized for energy.

More active individuals will typically have higher energy needs and thus could eat more carbohydrates without negative effects.

All the antioxidants and phytochemicals that are found in grains can be found in other sources, such as fruits and vegetables, which is where I prefer to get them.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote