View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
taubele
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseitalllaura View Post
I've been reading a lot about how caffeine increases cortisol, which contributes to belly fat. I drink coffee (black) every morning along with a sugar free Red Bull. Cutting it out as of tomorrow to see if it makes a difference! Who has cut out caffeine, and did it help with your belly fat?
Caffiene does increase cortisol, but it depends on how much you're drinking of it. Cortisol does a lot of wonky things to your body (it's a stress hormone). IMHO, a lot of physiological research has shown that caffeine provides a short boost in metabolism immediately after drinking it, and then has a longer term slight downturn in metabolism and the possibility of "making abdominal fat" (what it really does is trigger fat storage in the abdomen and/or cause belly fat retention, so you'll lose belly fat more slowly. Probably MUCH of that depends on diet, though). So it's fine to drink, say, a cup in the morning to wake yourself up (or even better, have a cup before you work out), but if you're constantly drinking a lot of coffee, it might cause more serious cortisol spikes.

Further, caffeine enhances the natural cortisol spikes you experience during stressful times, so drinking/eating things with caffeine at a measureable physiological level will provide an additive effect. So if you're super-stressed, maybe pass on the coffee

Everything in moderation -- coffee in particular has lots of good things about it, including anti-oxidative properties. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with a cup of joe in the morning, but don't go crazy on caffeine (or caffeine spikes) throughout the day. And I'd leave the Red Bull on the shelf, but that's just me!
Weight 5/19/14 = 179.6 (net: -35.6)
Current mini-goal: 175 lbs.
Lowest weight: 156.7 lbs.
150.2 lbs. <--- Official "Healthy BMI" weight
Estimated final goal: 130-140 lbs.
"You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."
taubele is offline   Reply With Quote