1. Dedicate a few minutes every morning to stretch in bed and take a few breaths before jumping out of bed to start your day. By waking up early to just breathe before you get moving for the day, you're clearing your head and making time to just show gratitude. This can give you a reason to be happy for the sunshine OR the rain!
2. Eat a healthy breakfast no matter how little time you think you have--a yogurt, a banana, a granola bar... something! Eating a healthy breakfast will keep you full and limit the bad snacking you do during the day. A healthy breakfast will set the tone for the rest of your day's meals.
3. Do 10 sun salutations before getting ready for work. Getting the blood moving first thing in the morning speeds up your metabolism and yoga is a great way to gain flexibility and increase your strength.
4. Keep a journal. By keeping a journal, you are staying present and can get your feelings and thoughts out on paper. If you don't want to keep a physical journal, you can certainly keep a private journal online.
5. Sip green tea in the morning. Green tea is filled with antioxidants! Whether you drink it cold or hot, make sure to limit any additional sweeteners in your tea. The antioxidants in the tea will help with your overall physical and mental health.
6. Make your lunches for work the night before. There's nothing more stressful than running around in the morning trying to pack a healthy lunch. Take time the night before to lay everything out as much as possible. It will save you time in the mornings.
7. Listen to music while you get ready for the day. No matter how I'm feeling, once I turn on music I tend to dance around. Music can be the key to happiness! If you're not sure how to get in a better mood, turn on some tunes and see how you feel.
8. Don't take things at work personally. Sometimes things just won't work out. People may get frustrated, but never take things personally... it's just business.
9. Give someone you love a phone call at least once a week. No emails or text messages. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. Even better to meet in person.
10. Drink water! If you don't drink that much water per day, add a cucumber, lemon, or lime to spice things up. Make it a priority and your body will thank you. Drinking water will help de-bloat your body and rid itself of any bad toxins. Who likes being bloated?!
It is always a great time to start fresh. Now is the day. Don't tell yourself that you'll do it tomorrow! If you're starting to feel down, try one of the recommendations above and see if you can turn that frown upside down.
Nicole Kennedy is a healthy living blogger and public relations specialist living in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Nicole's blog, Simply Nicole, documents her daily life occurrences as she balances working full-time, blogging, training for races, practicing yoga, eating healthy and spending time with her boyfriend. You can connect with Nicole via Facebook and Twitter for real-time blog updates, tips and tricks to living a healthy lifestyle, and more!