Osteoporosis is a disease that affects the bones. Osteoporosis not only affects women, but also men. Osteoporosis is more common in women because as they age, they lose estrogen which is key to protecting the bones. Osteoporosis causes the bones to become brittle and weak. This causes the bones to become porous and the bones can easily fracture.
There are great exercises that you can do to help prevent osteoporosis. Any exercise that is weight-bearing or load-bearing are great in keeping the bones strong. High impact exercises are also good to do.Prevent Osteoporosis?
Weight-bearing and load-bearing exercises help to keep the bones strong. These types of exercises cause the muscles and tendons to pull the bones which will stimulate the cells of the bones to produce more bone.
- Running - Running is a great way to prevent osteoporosis and keep your body strong and fit.
- Jogging and Walking - If running is too high-impact for you, jogging or walking will provide the same benefits.
- Gymnastics- If you are flexible and enjoy gymnastics, this will help prevent osteoporosis later in life.
- Aerobics - Any type of aerobics, such as step or dance, will help prevent osteoporosis.
- Weight Lifting- Weight lifting is a great way to keep your bones strong and improve balance, which will help to slow the deterioration of bone.
- Team Sports - Team sports that involve running and throwing are great ways to get involved and prevent osteoporosis.
Although any type of exercise is good for your body, there are some exercises that are less effective in preventing osteoporosis. Some of these exercises are swimming, water aerobics and any other minimal weight-bearing exercises.Nutrition
Nutrition is very important. The right amounts of calcium and vitamin D throughout your entire life will help in preventing osteoporosis. These two work hand in hand to build bones and keep them healthy. An adult should have around 1,000 milligrams of calcium each day. A person should have around 200 to 600 units each day of vitamin D. Another important vitamin for bone development is vitamin K.Bone Mass
Bone density can be reduced when you lose weight. That is why it is important to get your daily vitamins and mineral. Bone loss while losing weight can also be preventable if you do the weight-bearing exercises, which, in return, will strengthen and help build the bones.
Osteoporosis is a disease that affects millions of people. The majority of bone growth occurs before age 30. It is important to eat a well-balanced diet and do those weight-bearing exercises before you turn 30. It is equally important to continue that regimen throughout adulthood. By having a diet that is sufficient in calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K, you will help to prevent osteoporosis. By doing the weight-bearing exercises, you will maintain bone density, enhance your muscle and bone strength and increase your sense of balance. All these things are important in preventing osteoporosis.