Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
More fat or carbs??? So confused!! >

More fat or carbs??? So confused!!

Community
Notices

More fat or carbs??? So confused!!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default More fat or carbs??? So confused!!

Hello…I recently put myself back on a strict diet to lose the 75 lbs I have gained over the past 4 years. I am determined to lose at least 60 lbs before Christmas. I have been doing great so far averaging about a pound per day, it’s only been 7 days but we all start somewhere, right? I know most of it is water weight and the next week or so will be the real weight loss. I have started exercising daily by walking (only at one mile in 20 min, need to work my way up), rowing machine and trying to figure out how to use that dame ball without falling off, I have no time for the gym so I have to make due while I am at home. But I am really confused which better to take in more of carbs or fat? Which burns faster? Right now I average an intake of roughly 800 calories depending on the day sometimes more sometimes less, around 70 – 75 grams carbs (which is little compared to old behavior, but still too many) , and fat between 20 – 27 grams depending on the day. Should I be taking in more fat then carbs to burn off the weight? I am not looking for a slow process diet, I want it over!! I know it’s not the “healthy” way but I am not starving myself or fasting so how unhealthy can it be? So if anyone can help me out with the carb to fat ratio, I would be so grateful, I have gone on so many websites researching that I am more confused then ever.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Be aware you do not burn ingested fat. All fat burning is done from bodily stores.

You need carbs to support not only exercise but your brain cannot use fat for fuel, it must have glycogen.

Low fat intake is good but you need some not only for saitety but also the fat soluble vitamins and omega-3 fats.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I like a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix, personally. It's worked pretty well for me. I've done the "fast" weight loss thing before, more than once. You can do it. Whether it will stay off or not is up to you.

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 AM
FitDay Member

Mcompco....thank you for your reply...what did you eat to balance out that mixture? I am having a hard time trying to balance everything
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Michaels 40/30/30 recommendation. While you originally posted about fats and carbs I believe that most people (and especially women) don't get enough protein.

When you sustain a calorie deficit (also known as dieting) your body burns stored fat but it also converts muscle to fuel for your body. Adequate protein helps minimize the muscle loss.

I personally don't worry about the ratio of fat to carbs figuring if the Protein is right and the calorie intake is on target then I will lose the fat and not muscle. My problem is portion control and keeping the calorie deficit where it needs to be.

I won't lecture you about healthy weight loss (I figure you're an adult and can decide for yourself) but just be aware that you may not be able to maintain your current rate long term. If you find yourself stalling out you may want to try to reset your metabolism by increasing your calories for a short while. Good luck on your goals.