Notices

Close to your Goal Weight = Slow Progress

Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

In the slow boat as well. I lost really fast in the beginning, the first 80 pounds came off in like 6-7 months. Now I'm dropping at a snails pace, it's frustrating as all get out, but most days I make the effort.

I don't go to the gym in the morning, but M-F I get up early and put in a solid 60 minute living room workout. It took a while to build that habit, I have to lay out my workout clothes the night before, I set the coffee pot to start automatically so I have a fresh cup of joe with my workout (maybe not so healthy but it works to get me out of bed), and I put a jug of water in the fridge the night before so it's nice and cold and ready to go. I also have a Wii program that tracks my workout (EA Active II), so if I miss I have that nasty little reminder. Another thing I've been doing is planning the workout the night before. So if my EA Active II workout is only 35 minutes, I write down how much time I should spend on the elliptical, how many reps I should do on the body ball, etc etc. I'm thinking it would be good if I set up a program that's 4-5 weeks long in advance and rotate through it, but that might be overdoing it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by debernier
I am really feeling the exact same. I have lost about 8 lbs since October, and that's great.

I am trying to lose 5 more lbs in a month, and that should be totally do-able, but I just get frustrated.

Does anyone have advice about what helps them get up outta bed in the morning and go straight to the gym, tips or tricks?
I set my alarm clock 15 minutes before I absolutely have to start moving. That way I can take my time get dressed, use the bathroom, get my water, then I can get moving. I used to have to get up and start right away. I am finding after a little over a year waking up early to exercise I need to give my self more time in the morning the relax a little. I was cutting the exercise so close to me having to leave for work it became a chore and was stressful. One thing you don't want to do is hit the snooze button. Put your alarm clock far from your bed so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. That has always worked for me since when I am up, I am up. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default I need more food now days.

I made it to within 6 lbs. of my goal and hit a wall. Not only would the weight not keep coming off, but I felt like I was literally starving as well. I had to start eating more food because I was getting the shakes and feeling nauseated when I did any physical activity.

My theory is that my body just ran out of fat stores to burn, which is what kept me going during my peak calorie restriction.

I sort of fell off the wagon and gained back about 8 lbs. but I'm now working at it again to try and meet my goal. It's very slow going, though. I just can't make it on the calorie restriction that I used when I started. I have to eat more so I have increased my activity to compensate.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

My tips: have your bag packed with your work clothes, shower stuff, etc. Have your gym clothes layed out, your breakfast and lunch packed, and your workout plan written out. Set the alarm. Then when you wake up, you just go. I find when its all planned, I just do it.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mark999
I just can't make it on the calorie restriction that I used when I started. I have to eat more so I have increased my activity to compensate.
This is me too. I think my metabolism has increased, and I struggle with the calorie budget big time.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default You have to change your expectations I think

So, here's my theory. When you get close to your goal weight and your muscle tone is really building up, you just cannot expect the 1-2lbs per week that are considered a typical or healthy goal. In my experience, if you are close to your goal you may even slow down to as little as 1 lb per month. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's where I am at. I can't reasonably restrict my calories any more - afterall I am trying to build a new normal and that should be based on feeling uncomfortably hungry and deprived. Yup, I have had to adjust to sometimes as slow as 1 lb per month. But I have started using the mirror as my scale. What new muscle tone can I see? What do I love about my body now? How strong and healthy do I look to my daughters?

Keep at it everyone. We can do it! And then - we can keep it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
This is me too. I think my metabolism has increased, and I struggle with the calorie budget big time.
Me three. If I try to restrict my calories to adjust for a couple, three pounds that have crept up, even going back to the calories I used when I was losing seems too low and sets me up for a big old eat-everything-in-sight couple days. I've just finished a couple weeks of trying to get back down and today I've been fighting against shoveling food in all day long.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I listen to a podcast on iTunes by two guys who talk about weight loss and health. One of them has been losing very slowly (and even put some weight back on when he got to his goal). They stress that by losing slowly, once you are 'there,' there's really nothing new or different that you have to do to stay there. It's been your lifestyle all along. Thinking about it this way has really cheered me on.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

This is an interesting post I found because I was looking for other people who have a hard time with weight loss close to their goal weight. I wish I could see what people are like today after all of their efforts because the most recent post was a couple years ago.

Right now I am 20 pounds away from my goal weight and I almost stopped losing but I changed things up a little so maybe I will be okay. I am not seeing as much weight loss but measuring inches is a great tool to make you feel progress.

One of my problems is that I'm a vegetarian (lifestyle choice, not a dieting tool). I discovered that when I try and eat more proteins I tend to get high fat content also. I hear a lot about people using high protein diets to lose weight but I wish I could find more dieting tips from other vegetarians. I'm a carb eater, for sure.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm 'almost' a vegetarian. Eat meat once a week. Rarely have it in the house so even if I wanted it, it wouldn't be there!

For me, it's just counting calories. And healthy choices. Lately, I'm trying to drink more water - lots more water because I hardly drink any plain water at all (usually coffee and tea, which are a bit diuretic but still count). I'll see if that 'shakes up' weight loss.

I agree it's extremely difficult to find protein without fat. 0% fat greek yogurt and non-fat dairy help me; also egg substitute (basically, egg whites).