A Lesson from Kitty Litter

Reply

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
  #1  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default A Lesson from Kitty Litter

So I lost exactly 25 lbs since Thanksgiving Day (311 to 286). Doesn't sound like much, does it?

Well, I lugged a 25 lb. bag of kitty litter up the stairs last night. Got me huffing and puffing a little bit--two months ago I was lugging that around 24/7.

What's the lesson? I guess it's that we don't realize what even small differences can make. Weight loss is so gradual that sometimes we don't notice. Every pound we take off is important, so the next time we lose "only" one or two pounds in a week, think about the bag of kitty litter being that much lighter.

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 PM
  #2  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 49
Default

What you just said is so true!! I have 2 scales, 1 regular and 1 digital. Well the digital sticks sometimes on the last weight that was on it. So to unstick it I pick up something heavy stand and on it. let it register that weight, then get on it normally. I did that yesterday, and I grabbed the closest thing which was my kitchen chair, and it felt pretty heavy. The weight that it registered was 1 pound over my start weight. So I had the same realization as you just did. I just lost the weight of a chair!!!! lol Good feeling.

And thank you for being a great motivator.
williamscouple is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:25 PM
  #3  
FitDay Member
 
VirusInside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 156
Default

So true. I know I've read how even modest losses can cause dramatic health improvements.
VirusInside is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
  #4  
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Our oldest DD weighs 95 pounds, so the other day I gave her a piggy back ride just to remember what it was like at my heaviest. About 1 minute after I picked her up, my knees started to ache.
almeeker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 AM
  #5  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Thank you so much for the reminder. I know this in my head but when you work your butt off and eat right and only see a 1/2 lose for an entire week, it gets fraustrating. I am down 37 pounds in 9 months. 50 more to go. I am fitting through a plateau at this point and a reminder that every ounce counts, helps. Thanks again for the positive reminder.
kbherrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
vabeachgirlNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,118
Default

I just saw this post and LMAO! I buy 40 pound containers. I carry one in each hand when I take them upstairs. One day I decided to carry them up and down as many times as I could and the whole time I was thinking "this is what it would be like to weigh 80 pounds more".

I was thinking that because I run stairs as part of my training when I am in NYC. I have an elevator in my building but never use it. I'm amazed at some of the people who do just to go up a few floors.

I consider any everyday physical effort a bonus when I have the choice of being lazy or just doing it! Like the whole trying to find a parking spot up front, those few extra steps make me feel good, especially when I walk past that car that is STILL waiting for a front spot!
vabeachgirlNYC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM
  #7  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I just saw this post and LMAO! I buy 40 pound containers. I carry one in each hand when I take them upstairs. One day I decided to carry them up and down as many times as I could and the whole time I was thinking "this is what it would be like to weigh 80 pounds more".

I was thinking that because I run stairs as part of my training when I am in NYC. I have an elevator in my building but never use it. I'm amazed at some of the people who do just to go up a few floors.

I consider any everyday physical effort a bonus when I have the choice of being lazy or just doing it! Like the whole trying to find a parking spot up front, those few extra steps make me feel good, especially when I walk past that car that is STILL waiting for a front spot!
Last May, when I rejoined FitDay, I was carrying almost six and a half of your 40 pound kitty litter containers around with me 24/7, including up the stairs of our second floor house. Now I'm only carrying an extra two and a half.

Kind of makes one stop and think.

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
  #8  
Super Moderator
 
vabeachgirlNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,118
Default

Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
Last May, when I rejoined FitDay, I was carrying almost six and a half of your 40 pound kitty litter containers around with me 24/7, including up the stairs of our second floor house. Now I'm only carrying an extra two and a half.

Kind of makes one stop and think.

Regards,
Michael
260?! Wow! I can't even imagine how much better you feel!

My PR is 195X1 for a DL. The strain on my body was amazing. Having to carry that around on my body everyday? It's an overwhelming to think about!

I'm always curious about how people gained their weight, especially those who get to the point of the ones they show on TV. Maybe I need to start a thread with the questions I always want to ask.
vabeachgirlNYC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
  #9  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Default You guys and gals are amazing!!

Hi,
I am on my full second day on FitDay and trying to loose approx 45 lbs this year. You are all so encouraging and humbling. Thank you for posting.

Otai1
currently 181
goal 145
otai1day is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM
  #10  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
260?! Wow! I can't even imagine how much better you feel!

My PR is 195X1 for a DL. The strain on my body was amazing. Having to carry that around on my body everyday? It's an overwhelming to think about!

I'm always curious about how people gained their weight, especially those who get to the point of the ones they show on TV. Maybe I need to start a thread with the questions I always want to ask.
Well, I can't tell you my starting weight for certain, but after 6 weeks at 1500 calories I was finally able to weigh on my 400 lb capacity scale. So, seeing what other people have done their first few weeks I'd be surprised if I didn't lose at least 40 to 50 pounds.

So, let's say I was conservatively 440 pounds. The highest acceptable weight for my height is 175 pounds. So, yup, around 265 lbs. over my "high ideal". Divided by 40, that is 6.625 40lb bags of kitty litter (plus the "good" 175) being carried around day in, day out.

It's no wonder I feel pretty good at 285--still morbidly obese, but much better. Only 2.75 of those 40 pounders left to go!

So, yup, I was AS SEEN ON TV!

I should start a blog--www.askafatguy.com

Questions? Bring 'em on!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service