Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
And just like that I'm down another 2 pounds! That brings my total to 30 pounds. It feels good to drop to the next "decade."

That's great--you'll be under 300 before you know it!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all I have been a fitday member since the beginning of the year but just found out about these forums. My stats are:

Starting Weight - 264
Height - 5'6"
Current weight - 248

I am glad to find a group that needs to lose 100+ lbs like I do. I totally need the support. I have lost 16lbs but have hit a plateau. I have been at the 248 for a while now and the scale just isn't moving. I eat only 1,100 - 1,400 calories a day exercise 6 times a week. I am getting so frustrated. I am not sure how to budge my weight and I have so much more to lose. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by huangxinxin
Hi all I have been a fitday member since the beginning of the year but just found out about these forums. My stats are:

Starting Weight - 264
Height - 5'6"
Current weight - 248

I am glad to find a group that needs to lose 100+ lbs like I do. I totally need the support. I have lost 16lbs but have hit a plateau. I have been at the 248 for a while now and the scale just isn't moving. I eat only 1,100 - 1,400 calories a day exercise 6 times a week. I am getting so frustrated. I am not sure how to budge my weight and I have so much more to lose. Any suggestions?
Welcome!

We do have a great, supportive group here.

Well, I guess first off I'd make sure you are being accurate in your food logs--it's really easy to "eye ball" portions and be pretty far off (or "forget" to log embarrasing/unplanned items).

Assuming you are being fairly accurate, next I'd look at your calorie mix. I'm still a believer in "calories count" but I do know that some folks seem to lose weight faster with various mixed of carbs/protein/fat. Personally, I shoot for around a 40/30/30 mix which has worked well for me.

What sort of exercises do you do?

How much water do you drink? Within reason, the more you drink, the faster you lose. I shoot for at least one gallon a day.

If you want to make your food log public and post the link, we'd be happy to see if anything in particular stands out.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Welcome!

We do have a great, supportive group here.

Well, I guess first off I'd make sure you are being accurate in your food logs--it's really easy to "eye ball" portions and be pretty far off (or "forget" to log embarrasing/unplanned items).

Assuming you are being fairly accurate, next I'd look at your calorie mix. I'm still a believer in "calories count" but I do know that some folks seem to lose weight faster with various mixed of carbs/protein/fat. Personally, I shoot for around a 40/30/30 mix which has worked well for me.

What sort of exercises do you do?

How much water do you drink? Within reason, the more you drink, the faster you lose. I shoot for at least one gallon a day.

If you want to make your food log public and post the link, we'd be happy to see if anything in particular stands out.

Regards,
Michael
Thanks Micheal!
I appreciate your taking the time to chat with me. My public link is http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...er=huangxinxin

I have been very faithful in keeping an honest journal, even recording my "cheats" (ie. candy bar, goldfish crackers, brownies, etc.) when I do cheat. I have been following the Joy Bauer "Your Inner Skinny" diet and so I weigh and measure everything I eat...no eyeballing She offers a really good balance of foods that is why I chose her diet. I can't eat wheat so all my bread and cereal products are "white flour" but I make my own bread so I know what's in it. This last week contained 2 days where I "cheated" but I still maintained under 2,000 calories.

My exercise is what the diet recommends, that is every other day I do cardio with speed play (bursts of "faster" movements during the regular routine), every other day cardio w/stretch/yoga, and 2 times a week cardio and weight resistance. I have upped my workouts from 30 minutes a day to 45minutes. When I do the weight and cardio I do aprox. 1 hour total. I have recorded these in my "activities" journal but only the time is accurate the speed is averaged.

Water on my diet is required (no sodas, no juices, an occasional herbal tea is okay). I don't drink alcohol or coffee. I am required to drink 2 8oz glasses 30 minutes before lunch and dinner. I drink water before and after exercise and periodically through out the day. I haven't really measured how much water that adds up to. Perhaps I should start tracking exactly how much water I drink...thanks for the tip.

Thanks again for your support. I truly appreciate it!

Jerenda
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by huangxinxin
Thanks Micheal!
I appreciate your taking the time to chat with me. My public link is http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...er=huangxinxin

I have been very faithful in keeping an honest journal, even recording my "cheats" (ie. candy bar, goldfish crackers, brownies, etc.) when I do cheat. I have been following the Joy Bauer "Your Inner Skinny" diet and so I weigh and measure everything I eat...no eyeballing She offers a really good balance of foods that is why I chose her diet. I can't eat wheat so all my bread and cereal products are "white flour" but I make my own bread so I know what's in it. This last week contained 2 days where I "cheated" but I still maintained under 2,000 calories.

My exercise is what the diet recommends, that is every other day I do cardio with speed play (bursts of "faster" movements during the regular routine), every other day cardio w/stretch/yoga, and 2 times a week cardio and weight resistance. I have upped my workouts from 30 minutes a day to 45minutes. When I do the weight and cardio I do aprox. 1 hour total. I have recorded these in my "activities" journal but only the time is accurate the speed is averaged.

Water on my diet is required (no sodas, no juices, an occasional herbal tea is okay). I don't drink alcohol or coffee. I am required to drink 2 8oz glasses 30 minutes before lunch and dinner. I drink water before and after exercise and periodically through out the day. I haven't really measured how much water that adds up to. Perhaps I should start tracking exactly how much water I drink...thanks for the tip.

Thanks again for your support. I truly appreciate it!

Jerenda
Jerenda, your calorie mix looks pretty good, overall.

Based on my own experience, and I know everyone is different, I would consider:

1) Going to a once a month "day off" or "cheat day". I've found that once a week, even is too much. Two cheats a week can easily slow or stall your weight loss.

2) Adding 8 hours of sleep to your daily activity log. Sleep is supposed to be factored in, but many of us have found that by adding 8 hours of sleep our daily calorie burn comes out pretty close to reality.

3) Track your water consumption and get it up to the most you can reasonably do. One gallon isn't too much, over the course of a day.

This is just my opinion, based upon what works for me. I'll never claim to be an expert, but I think I've been pretty successful at losing weight (keeping it off is a whole 'nother matter, which we'll get to eventually).

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

thanks michael
im excited about losing that much weight in a week!
since i set a 1,000 calorie diet i feel bad when i eat even 50 calories over.i hope i can stop being so hard on myself. this is only my 2nd week into a very long weight loss journey,
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by symphony\'smom
thanks michael
im excited about losing that much weight in a week!
since i set a 1,000 calorie diet i feel bad when i eat even 50 calories over.i hope i can stop being so hard on myself. this is only my 2nd week into a very long weight loss journey,
I hear ya'! I was that way LAST time. Now, though, if I go over 50, it's no big deal. I really fell into the "all or nothing thinking" trap and that is a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster. That's one reason I enjoy a one day a month "off". I plan for it, log it, and know in the whole scheme of things, it won't matter.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Jerenda, your calorie mix looks pretty good, overall.

Based on my own experience, and I know everyone is different, I would consider:

1) Going to a once a month "day off" or "cheat day". I've found that once a week, even is too much. Two cheats a week can easily slow or stall your weight loss.

2) Adding 8 hours of sleep to your daily activity log. Sleep is supposed to be factored in, but many of us have found that by adding 8 hours of sleep our daily calorie burn comes out pretty close to reality.

3) Track your water consumption and get it up to the most you can reasonably do. One gallon isn't too much, over the course of a day.

This is just my opinion, based upon what works for me. I'll never claim to be an expert, but I think I've been pretty successful at losing weight (keeping it off is a whole 'nother matter, which we'll get to eventually).

Regards,
Michael
Thank you Micheal. I will take your suggestions and see how they work for me. I am impressed with your weight loss thus far and I am willing to try what works for others. I appreciate your input.

Again Thank you!
Jerenda
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

This is my first time posting here. I'm 21, Female, 6'1" and 273lbs. My long term goal right now is 190. I feel like the immensity of the amount of weight I have to loose is intimidating, but I don't really know how to set a short term goal and what is reasonable.
I walk for 30 minutes most days of the week and I just started yoga and pilates.
As for my calories, I only started logging them a few days ago, but I seem to be keeping them around 1500 or so. My problem is that darn pie chart. I feel like I'm cutting back on the fatty foods, but the fat section always looks so big. I really hate the taste of low-fat dressings, mayo, and sour cream, so I try to stay away from foods I would be eating those things because it seems like the only way to get around eating low-fat is to just not eat it at all.
I've tried dieting before, but I've never been able to stick to it. I love cheese and pasta and steak and french fries.. I just really love food. It's also an issue that my family doesn't care. I say I want to buy healthy food and they make fun of me or say it's gross. I do the food shopping and make the grocery list, which gives me an advantage, but when I come home with no little debbie treats, people are unhappy. My mother is the same weight as me, but she is shorter. She has so many health problems it makes me sad. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, herniated discs in her back, and then some. I keep trying to get her to do this with me but she won't. She doesn't even check her blood sugar anymore. I already have fibromyalgia and the doctors say that if I don't change the way I eat, I will be diabetic in another 10-15 years. I really need support in this or I am afraid I will just quit again.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Melynda!
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mom, but the best thing you can do is take care of yourself, maybe you'll inspire her when she see's some of the results but other then that there's nothing you can do for her.
I'm pretty new as well, and I think we are in similar situations.
I'm 5'6 and started at around 250 pounds 2 weeks ago. Considering you are much taller, I think we probably have around the same amount of fat to lose to get into the "healthy" range. A realistic short term goal should be something low in my opinion. Try for 1lb by the end of the week. You'll learn about your body a lot during this and find out just how hard you can push yourself, how many calories feels good in your body and mind. As for Fat.. Fat-free does not make it a good diet food. You're body needs healthy fats! Try for a 40% - 30% - 30% (carbs, fat, protein)ratio which seems to be the best ratio that is passed around on this site. I'm aiming for that and it's working so far
I suggest you take these supplements if you aren't already :
Fish oil
multi-vitamin
vitamin D3
Having nutrients is essential to losing weight, and will make you less hungry.
I also recommend you buy some Stevia (online, or at most health-food stores)it's a healthy all-natural calorie-free sugar replacement. You probably want to avoid anything with sugar in it as much as possible.
As everyone with experience here says , drink tons of water.
For all those foods you like to eat, I see nothing wrong with a steak. As for all the others, just have to eat them in smaller portions with a salad and/or some lean meats. They aren't so bad if they are the side dish to something healthier. I was faced with some frozen yogurt (my favorite junk-food !) since the first few days of starting my weight loss journey. I've had small portions of it every few days.. squeezing it into my calorie limit. You can definitely still eat the foods you love and still lose weight. Also keep up with doing your exercising. I think my exercising is probably making a bigger impact then my dieting.
Anyways this is everything that's been working for me so far. Hopefully some of this helps you. The people here are amazing and have helped me so much and are very wise and lovely, we are not alone in this. This is the best place anytime you need support or have a question. Take care, You can do this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.