How to calculate aerobics with weights >

How to calculate aerobics with weights

Community
Notices

How to calculate aerobics with weights

Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to calculate aerobics with weights

I am doing my aerobics with 14 ounce weights in each hand.

The workout lasts 1 hour and is pretty intense--I do not stop moving and there are a lot of stretching motions involved.

I do 30 jumping jacks (with weights), each workout.

There is plenty of sweating involved, LOL.

How do I figure a rough estimate of calories burned?

I put into my FitDay Activities that I did 1 hour aerobics (aerobic dacing) general and then 1 hour weight lifting (free weight, nautilus or universal)
light workout, general

Is this way off you think? I think maybe the weight lifting part is all wrong? Should I use the 1 hour of Intense Aerobics instead of the other two?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Heya, sounds like that workout may be more like calisthenics of the vigorous variety more so than aerobics - just my take, though. Btw, never apologize for asking questions - it's how we learn.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

No offense intended here, but I don't think 14oz counts as weight lifting. I would use the "intense aerobics" for 1 hour like you suggested. I walk with ankle weights quite often, but I only count the "walking" part. In terms of burning calories, there isn't a huge benefit to using weights with your aerobic workout, the benefit is that your muscles get more toned with weights than without, making you a more efficient calorie burner in the long haul. If you want to see what the difference is, change your weight to include the 28 ounces and write down what it says your calories burned for aerobics is, then put your actual weight back in and look at the difference. That's it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys!

I added it in as calisthenics, light or moderate. I figure it is better to think I am working less than more, lol.

I actually Googled the terms and what I'm doing is a bit more like calisthenics. I don't know how to tell if it is light, moderate or intense.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

I'm with you - it can be pretty tough to tell what level of intensity something is, especially since most of us have a tendency to overestimate how hard we're going. For calisthenics, if you're constantly moving - from standing, to sitting, to push-ups, to jumping jacks, to god-knows-what they have you doing at a fast pace (no breaks) that's probably what I think FitDay calls "intense." But I'm with you that I would log it as something in between when in doubt.
Personally, I don't even log my activities on FitDay for a few reasons. One is that I work out not so much for the calorie burn (although I love that part, don't get me wrong ), but for the metabolism boost, increased endurance and energy, losing inches, and being able to run for more than 10 seconds without dying. Also, I find FitDay's calories burned estimates really inaccurate when it comes to activity. So, I just keep my own chart on paper (I know, how archaic!) so I can write down what workout(s) I did and see at a glance how consistent I'm being. That helps me keep consistent with my workouts more so than FitDay's weird calorie counts, lol.
Btw, cjohnson posted this link awhile ago and I love it. This is for a Calories Burned calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm but check out the whole site - lots of fun stuff you can use to educate yourself.

Last edited by changeisgood29; 11-19-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Included Calories Burned calculator.