Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Recovering from Eating Disorder >

Recovering from Eating Disorder

Community
Notices

Recovering from Eating Disorder

Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM
FitDay Member

I wanted to start by saying Im new to this forum. I do alot of lurking until I saw your thread.
I to do alot of Binge eating. I recently lost 130 lbs. 100 lbs or so was done on the HCG diet.
I am so messed up with food.
I seemed to binge all the time now. I cant seem to get a happy feeling with food. Its all or nothing for me.
Its so upsetting to come back to a place like this in my life. I used to binge but never this bad.
I think I have tried every diet known to man. The only 2 I did well with was Atkins and HCG. Years ago on the Atkins I lost 80 lbs. Then I got pregnant with child 2 and the binging started again.
I finnally got a handle on it last year threw the help of a therapist and now I have relocated to another state and I have no support what so ever.
I hope you go health in your journey to become a healthier person.

Thx CAt
Old 10-23-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'm so happy you found my thread! Ya it's taken me 2 years to get out of the binging habit. It's really tough to do, I know exactly how you feel.

It was always all or nothing, like, I'd do good the whole day and be at around 1400 calories, and then I'd have an extra slice of pizza, and then it was like "well i've really messed up now, I'll just eat whatever" And then i'd try to starve the next day to make up for it, which never happened of course and then by starving i'd end up binging again and so on and so on.

The biggest thing that's helped me is to focus on not dieting. Like, I'll set myself a realistic number of calories for the day (usually 1400 for my weight and height) and I'll let myself eat whatever I want, as long as I stay within that range. If I go up to 1600, I just try to be positive and think, well 200 more calories isn't going to matter, but if I keep binging, it will matter.

This may sound weird, but I eat a lot better when I'm not exercising. I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise, but for a while I just gave up on exercise and focused more on just managing my eating habits. When I was focusing on exercising too, I noticed i'd get really overwhelmed by it all and the dieting.

I'm here always if you wanna talk cause I definitely know how crappy binging can make you feel. I went on antidepressants for a while to help with it and that's helped TONS. I'm off of them now, cause I feel like I've gained control again, but they definitely help.

I also went of any type of hormonal birth control. I was always binging when I was on the pill, it was really horrible. You could try the copper IUD (paragard). Check it out. I was on that for a year but I had problems with it too.

But ya, I know how you feel, and I still mess up and end up binging, but my binges now are nothing compared to what they used to be. And I always recover from them. Hope this has helped at least a little!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

sizelittle. That sounds like a good food plan for you.
I tried today and found myself inside food again.
Im just trying to get threw the moment.
I raided the kids cheese balls. There is a first.
Im so desperate for help here. No candy is my goal today.
I also must stay off of the HCG I have learned to abuse it.
Not proud of this at all but have to say it.
Have you found being at 1500 calories helps you loose weight.
Beings Im now up 21 lbs. and 2 pants sizes Im desperate to try to loose some weight without depriving myself .
Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 AM
FitDay Member

Ah I'm sorry. I really wish I could do more to help.

Yes, I stay at around 1500 cals a day and I do lose weight off of that, and that's without exercising. I try to do things around the house that will help me stay active. And I like taking my dog out for walks too.

No candy for the day is a great goal. Take little steps, cause they are the ones that help the most. you should check out my website, I have a forum post on some of my favorite cheat foods. sizelittle.weebly.com

I also love oatmeal, it makes you feel way full, and it doesn't have a lot of calories in it. Also spaghetti squash is another. Don't get discouraged, try to be positive, think about it this way: If you've gained weight fast, you can lose it in about the same amount of time. Same goes for losing weight too. If you do fad diets you gain the weight back faster. So be patient with yourself!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Take your time, diets don't work

catina73: one of the "secrets" to reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is not to create too much of a calorie deficit, especially if exercise is part of the picture. IMO, 1500 is too low and eventually you will binge. Take it slower, make lasting changes that you can stick with. Change only one thing at a time, especially where nutrition is concerned. Eat REAL food, exercise in moderation, and take your time. It will happen. I was not able to recover from eating disordered behavior until I incorporated these principals. Now I never go hungry and my eating is totally body-centered. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"... Albert Einstein. You have to be willing to open up your mind and try a new way... no diets! Good luck, if I could do it, so can you. And p.s., I'm 65, female, and 127 pounds at 5'5 1/2" tall. And I've been Naturally Thin for over 20 years.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by noelminneci
catina73: one of the "secrets" to reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is not to create too much of a calorie deficit, especially if exercise is part of the picture. IMO, 1500 is too low and eventually you will binge.
I agree that a lifestyle change, slowly, over time, is what works the best; however, age and size and body composition play a role in calorie expenditure. My maintenance is between 1500 and 1800 (depending on whether I work out or not), because I'm pretty small to begin with. Sizelittle has indicated in a previous post that she is about my weight; don't know her height or age, but she may be right on target with her calories. I think everyone needs to find their own range and learn what works over time.