Notices

carb quota

Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

I use the approach that this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life. Not a diet but a lifestyle. Nothing is off limits, but I now understand the baggage my food choices bring. I started off slowly, one of the first things I eliminated was the multiple Cokes I drank daily. I now try to not drink any of my calories except a glass of milk on occasion. Water is now my beverage of choice.

I severly restrict simple carbohydrates like processed foods, white bread and sugar. I track my food here on Fitday and try to get 30% of my calories from protein. I don't worry at all about fat as I know the mostly whole foods I am eating contains healthy fat. I eat more vegetables and fruit than I used to. I began exercising for 20 minutes 3 times a week using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which consists of running for 20 seconds and walking for 40 seconds. (When I started I would jog then walk, slowly increasing my speed and over time decreasing the walking interval.)

Lest you think I have it all figured out my schedule has been hectic and I have not been exercising as I would like. (I have been remodeling a duplex with my son evenings and weekends.) The result is that I have been on a plataeu since hitting the 45 pounds lost mark. I don't let weight on the scale dictate my mood. Instead I use it as motivation.

No rocket science, everything in moderation, healthy diet and exercise.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for letting me know Ron, i'm doing similar in the fact of refined carbs are out the window, and again like you i don't worry about the fat as i know the whole foods i'm eating is the right thing for me as i am feeling good with my new "lifestyle" as you put it. it is a lifestyle though isn't it? I feel if i felt i was on a "DIET, for the rest of my life i don't think i could handle it. simple wording makes all the difference with my feeble mind i always see plateaus as a breather, although frustrating at times, i think of it as the body catching up with the mind and going " phew, that was one hell of a run, can we stop and let me catch my breath?" (yep...i'm a weirdo who puts daft scenarios in any situation!) my only "glitch" in my lifestyle is my lack of exercise, i'm no couch potato, but i have Multiple Sclerosis and the way my body reacts to the simplest things can be crazy, i'm having trouble walking at the moment, but i do the best i can.
ooh...sorry for the long winded reply Ron, once i chat i can't stop keep me posted wont you on how you're doing please?
take care
Old 09-11-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

didn't know whether to post here or not, but i just want to let you know..i've lost another 5lb! ooh i am so pleased. i understand it's still fluid that going from the fat cells etc. but that 10lb so far, i have never lost so much in so little time, eating a sensible diet i.e. cutting the refined carbs out. it is a wonderful feeling to feel better in myself, not hating the way i see myself, for once my body and mind seem to be in unison. i REALLY want to thank the people who have posted, the positive feelings i receive is amazing, this is really helping me...THANK YOU!!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

How did you do that?!?!? Tell us your secret!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I use the approach that this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life. Not a diet but a lifestyle. Nothing is off limits, but I now understand the baggage my food choices bring. I started off slowly, one of the first things I eliminated was the multiple Cokes I drank daily. I now try to not drink any of my calories except a glass of milk on occasion. Water is now my beverage of choice.

I severly restrict simple carbohydrates like processed foods, white bread and sugar. I track my food here on Fitday and try to get 30% of my calories from protein. I don't worry at all about fat as I know the mostly whole foods I am eating contains healthy fat. I eat more vegetables and fruit than I used to. I began exercising for 20 minutes 3 times a week using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which consists of running for 20 seconds and walking for 40 seconds. (When I started I would jog then walk, slowly increasing my speed and over time decreasing the walking interval.)

Lest you think I have it all figured out my schedule has been hectic and I have not been exercising as I would like. (I have been remodeling a duplex with my son evenings and weekends.) The result is that I have been on a plataeu since hitting the 45 pounds lost mark. I don't let weight on the scale dictate my mood. Instead I use it as motivation.

No rocket science, everything in moderation, healthy diet and exercise.
This is so simple, and it works.

I guess we need to come up with a snappy title for the plan, get a pitchman to do an infomercial, publish a book and DVD and make a million.

Seriously, this IS the answer, as far as I'm concerned.

Michael
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM
FitDay Member

Totally agree Michael, it IS the answer. it's the "light bulb moment " when everything makes sense to you.
I have been dieting for an absolute age on and off since i was 10 years old (i'm 42) the most i ever lost was 70lbs, but that was through a liquid diet that was under 500 cals per day. once i stopped...ta-da...all went back on again. so far though, since stopping the refined carbs, i have lost 10lb, never in my LIFE have i lost so much in a short time. Even when i was on the liquid diet, my average was 2-3lb per week.
i understand it will slow down, but its a lifestyle not a "diet" i feel good in myself, i know that this is for me and i know i can carry on this way.