Notices

Cold...is it just me?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Cold...is it just me?

Let me preface this by saying that I am normally overheated. Always have run very warm. To the point that my husband likes to snuggle in the winter (he's always cold) and HATES it in the summer.

Am I the only one like this who when I am really watching my calories, gets cold all the time?

I swear, the last 2 and 1/2 weeks I have been so darned cold! My nailbeds on by finger nails are turning purple and my hands are so cold. I hate it! I like being the warm one who is always turning down the heat and turning up the AC.

Is this normal?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Montanacricket, I certainly feel the cold more now then I did a few years back when I was 25lbs heavier. We are losing insulation! In my head I think "i'm cold, maybe my body is burning more calories now to keep me warm." So, that's the positive spin. Although I'm not sure how true it is that my body is really burning more cals to keep me warm since I've lost weight.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

I used to be one of those people who was cold ALL the time, even in July. I weighed 135 back then. When I got up to 180, I was hot all the time. Now that I've gotten half of that weight off, I get cold again, though not as badly as when I was 135. Fat is a wonderful insulator.

But, if you haven't lost much weight, feeling cold all the time is a symptom of hypothyroidism. It might be worth mentioning to your doc if it's been a sudden change. If you've drastically cut calories, the cold feeling might mean your metabolism is slowing down.

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 04-28-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

I find I get really cold when I don't get enough calories or wait too long between meals. It's the cold that doesn't go away either. Could you not be eating enough calories?

I have found the opposite is true lately since I've been ramping up my exercise and seem to be eating just the right amount. I've been way too hot (and today it is snowing where I am). I can't sleep at night and I sweat constantly. My last few pounds seem to be melting away too...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Wylie7
I find I get really cold when I don't get enough calories or wait too long between meals. It's the cold that doesn't go away either. Could you not be eating enough calories?

I have found the opposite is true lately since I've been ramping up my exercise and seem to be eating just the right amount. I've been way too hot (and today it is snowing where I am). I can't sleep at night and I sweat constantly. My last few pounds seem to be melting away too...
You could be right. Fitday has "told" me that I can eat up to 2200 calories per day to lose weight...I've actually been averaging about 1700. But usually I'm absolutely satisfied with what I'm eating.

I do get plenty of exercise (4 days a week, an hour on the treadmill or combo treadmill and weight bench, yardwork and housework on weekends and we live on 2.3 acres on a hill, so yard work is WORK). It's mainly between meals, so maybe I need to space my meals and snacks a bit better.

This morning I was freezing, and had a tree order come in so went out to take it to the storage shed prior to customer pick up. The wind is howling, it's about 45 degrees not counting windchill and we have snow on the way. While I was out there, I guess my pilot light came on or something cause now I'm warm again.

Thanks for the advice folks!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Hey, I thought I was the only one!

I have definitely been feeling more cold since losing 30 lbs. I used to have a wide temperature comfort zone, now between hot flashes and chilly flashes, I have no idea what the real temperature is anymore!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

I've lost 22 lbs. since January and I definitely feel a huge difference! I am cold 24 hours a day. My husband laughs at me because even my nose is cold. I was outside this weekend talking to friends and one of the women said that she could see me shivering.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I am generally one of those people who is on the cold side anyway, but it is definitely more so when I am at a lower weight. I'm so glad summer's coming!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

My whole life I have been a walking furnace - seriously, my dad is like that too. At my heaviest I was warm all the time, I even wore short sleeves with a light jacket for most of the winter. Well since I hit the 40 pound mark I'm like an ice sculpture. People don't always notice my weight loss because I'm wrapped up like an Eskimo in 2-3 layers of fleece jackets with my coat on top. It's hilarious. A friend of mine has lost 96 pounds and he's cold all the time too. The good news is that my buddy was so cold he asked his doctor about it and the doc said that eventually his body will adjust to this new weight and not feel cold all the time, but it might take a year or so to get ironed out. I've noticed that I get really cold after I eat, not before.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I've noticed that I get really cold after I eat, not before.
Me too, because all my blood goes to my stomach! My nose gets cold and my fingers and toes turn blue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.