Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 11/5/12

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Plan
Breakfast (ate 1/2 bread more than planned)
Ezkiel bread and jam
Lunch
egg white
no nitrite bacon
apple
Dinner
swordfish (bad for its mercury, I know)
broccoli
Snacks
strawberries/raspberries
nuts
Vitamuffin?

need more veg, I see
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hope, you have a LOT of blue this week! Congrats on your successes .

I hope you are feeling okay. I wish I lived close enough to bring you soup and healthy goodies . {{hugs}}.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hope, you have a LOT of blue this week! Congrats on your successes .

I hope you are feeling okay. I wish I lived close enough to bring you soup and healthy goodies . {{hugs}}.
What a wonderful thought! I would love that!!! Especially since your food sounds healthy and yummy - perfect combo. And I do love me some soup. {{hugs}} right back atcha!

I guess it's better to have the blue than the blues. Ouch, bad pun.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Update...ended up going to walk in clinic. Dr checked glucose there and it was 10.4 (I went after lunch) so I am in the range. It probably was a little low this morning but I am relieved that everything is ok. BP was high but that wasn't surprising!!

Need to phone Diabetes Centre tomorrow and arrange for a time so that the meter can be re-calibrated.

Jenn
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Jann, I must have missed that post on your health but I'm glad you're OK. Do you do anything for the bp?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3

Ama- Here's my recipe for white bread, glad you asked for it, now I feel the need to bake.

1 pack of Rapid Rise yeast
1 cup of warm water
1/3 cup of milk powder
1 Tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
1 Teaspoon of sugar
1 Teaspoon of salt (add less if you like)
3-4 cups of flour (I like the better for bread style but all purpose works well too)

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let sit about 5 minutes until frothy. Stir in powdered milk, sugar, butter and salt. Work in flour a cup at a time, for the first two cups, then gradually add the 3-4 cups. You might not need all 4, so work it till it is smooth. Knead it about 10-12 minutes, Great biceps, triceps and pecs workout! Let rise 1 hour covered in a very lightly oiled bowl (I just use a drop or two of olive oil and spread it around with my hands) (I put it in my garage in the summer, in the winter I put on the oven light and stick it in there with the door cracked.) Punch down and put it in a greased loaf pan and let it rise about 30 minutes or until it looks high enough in the pan to your liking for sandwiches. During this rising time let it sit on the counter near the oven covered with a towel while you preheat your oven thoroughly to 400 degrees. Bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool a little, about 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
THANK YOU!!! I can't wait to try this! Can you tell me what size and type of bread pans you use? I have both metal and glass. My metal ones are for larger loaves like sandwich sized bread (using them is where I ended up with low flat loaves), and the glass ones are smaller, but not really sandwich size. I'd like to use the same type of pan you use if possible.

Thanks! Ama
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lcriswell0421
I'd like to get educated more on what you guys are talking about, but I need beginner basics. I'm a stay at home mom, so I should be able to do more home made whole foods and things time-wise. I'm just concerned about the costs. I get $200/wk to buy groceries and gas. I spend $165-$175 on groceries, and it doesn't even seem like I get that much. That only leaves me a few $$$ for gas, and I am the kid taxi in our house. Point being, my budget is tight. Or I just need to learn to do things differently. I have cut out quite a lot of packaged products, but I admit I do still buy lunch meat from the deli. What are other options? I should learn to do things like mix up my own waffle mix instead of buying Bisquick and stuff like that.

Any information, ideas, etc. for a beginner?
Hi Lisa - I started researching ingredients by reading labels and Googling the ingredients I did not recognize. It spurred me on to buy products with the fewest ingredients on the label as possible, and to avoid things like Red#40 and meats processed with nitrates/nitrites. It kind of took off from there and I have continued to research and make different choices over the past several years to clean out as many questionable ingredients out of our diet as possible, but without going completely overboard. I agree, a lot of healthy foods are pricey, and we can't afford to go all out health nut. So I opt to make whatever I can out of simple ingredients, like most baked goods, and be an avid label reader at the grocery so that I can make better choices. The lunchmeat thing is a tough one... I found Hormel makes a line of lunch meats that have no added nitrates. We buy that no because DS likes meat sandwiches in his lunch. We also look for simple sugars instead of high-fructose corn syrup, Smuckers makes jam without HFCS, but it is hard to find. I also buy decaf coffee that has been decaffinated using the Swiss water method, and not methylene chloride or other chemicals. Also, if a label calls out something that looks like a disclaimer it may be worth doing some research on; such as RBST in dairy products. Why would they even need to disclaim it is not bad for you - red flag! Glad you are interested in this topic! I am looking forward to following a thread that continues this line of discussion!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Target <1600 calories.
1. 1750. going the wrong way-1805. getting further from goal. 1513 I did it! Holy cow...1000!!! Yea...1540! So far off I'm too embarrassed to even write it down.
2. Take meds 2x day.
yes. yes. yes. 5 hours late tonight, but yes. only a.m. yes. only a.m.
3. Do some sort of exercise 3x this week with Sara for at least 20 minutes each time.
no. no. yes.no. no yes, but not with Sara. A BIG YES (read below)!
4. Log everything everyday.
yes. yes. yep. yes. yes. yes. no.

Cassie, to answer your question about the nutritionist, she said first and foremost that I need to get her active everyday. She's not that overweight and she doesn't want me to be restricting her calories. The emphasis should be on eating "colorfully" and teaching her to make decisions, not forbidding anything. For example, give her the choice of 1 serving of Oreo's or 1 serving of caramel rice cakes, but keep it to one serving. Some days she may really want those 2 oreo's, but other days she will choose the healthier rice cakes. The idea is that if I "forbid" her from eating something (which I would never do anyways) then she would rebel and eat more, and she needs to really practice knowing what 1 serving really is and sticking to that. Finally, I am supposed to be a good role model for her, and teach her by doing these things myself. Thanks for asking.

Hope, it looks like you did really good this week!

Jenn, glad to hear the glucose readings leveled out. My lowest was a 96 once, but it got back to normal later in the day after a good meal, so I couldn't offer any experience or knowledge on that for you.

Ama, I am going to have to be a more avid label reader like you, too. I'm going to start being more watchful and make that a goal to help remind myself. What kind of Hormel lunch meat does not have nitrates or nitrites? I like Hormel and either buy that or Jennie O from the deli.

I had a HUGE accomplishment tonight! When I first started this journey I decided I was going to get out there and walk. I could not walk 5 minutes without my shins and calves being in so much pain that I had to stop. I would be really winded, too. I would force myself to walk 2x around the little block, which only took about 8 minutes. But I stopped shortly after starting because it just hurt toooooo much.

Tonight I went for a walk with Sara. I decided to go around the BIG block so I couldn't give up and stop after only 8 minutes. I walked a normal/brisk pace the entire way, didn't stop, didn't get winded and didn't have ANY pain in my legs!!! I walked for 30 minutes. After I got home I wanted to know the distance, so I drove it and it was 1.2 miles!!!! omg I'm in such shock and so happy with myself! It was pleasant, and Sara and I had a good time together. So now, that walk around the park is something I'm looking forward to, now that I know I'll be able to do it. I'm looking forward to getting out in the sunshine, spending more time with Sara, and I think I'm going to take my camera, too.

Oh, and the other good part about tonight is that I put on a jacket that I hadn't worn since about March. It was getting pretty tight back then. I put it on tonight and it was LOOSE!!! Wow, did that ever feel good!

Today I not only went off track, there was no track. lol. I ate cheez-its, french toast and bacon with syrup and butter. I ate A LOT of cheez-its. and A LOT of french toast. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

That's awesome Lisa!
I take medication for blood pressure, probably just the stress of going to Dr and not feeling well that raised it. They determined that I probably had a false reading on my meter but it probably was low a little bit.

Jenn
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Jenn, glad things seem to have worked out. I am sure it must feel like a juggling act at times. Hope things stay on track this week.

Lisa, I'm excited about your walking! Congrats on a great accomplishment for you. You know what this means...you can do it again. And again, and add some distance as time goes by. There are always some days with no track, but celebrate your successes and let yesterday stay in yesterday. Your nutritionist's advice sounds very sound. I'm glad you have that resource. Sara will be a healthy eater for life with those good habits now.

Ama, I could have written the same post you did, except for the coffee (which I don't care for)! Great minds think alike! It is about making good choices without being so militant that it compromises your quality of life.

I bumped the Cooking From Scratch thread in the Foods section; should we start another one on labels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.