FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7902-7-23-12-motivational-group-thread-lets-get-serious.html)

Mern 07-22-2012 04:10 PM

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Cate, adjustments would have to be made, I suppose for the type of shake mix you use. I don't actually have a recipe: I just eyeball water and ice cubes to throw in my shaker bottle. I add the egg substitute because it's already pasturized, so I don't have to worry about getting sick from raw eggs. It says on the store brand carton of egg substitute I buy that it can be used for shakes.

I use:

47g Walker Diet Protein Shake Mix Meal Replacement Drink (Banana Cream or Vanilla flavor
about 10 or so ounces cold water (shake is whey based so just needs water)
2 servings pasturized egg substitute (which would be 6-8 tablespoons total)
Ice cubes
Sprinkling of ground nutmeg or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring--I'll bet rum flavoring would be great in the banana as an eggnog flavor.

To my chocolate shake mix I don't add eggs, but add brewed cold decaf coffee or instant decaf freeze dried coffee granules and hazelnut or almond flavoring.

To my vanilla shake mix, if not adding egg substitute, I sometomes add Crystal Lite beverage powder to taste

01gt4.6 07-22-2012 04:15 PM

Mern, I'm guessing you accidentally posted this in the new thread? :confused: Oh well, looks like you're starting us off. :D

I'm in, I need to be. The next time someone tries to harpoon my big ass at the beach, I'm gonna attack them with a chainsaw.:eek:

Mern 07-22-2012 04:18 PM

Hi, Mike. I meant to start a new thread so that Cate would see my message to her about protein shakes. Thanks for making it a sticky. :)

Harpoon! I gotta go back and read the past couple days posts to see what your're talking about.

Your pics are incredible. They look so professional! Did you take photography classes?

01gt4.6 07-22-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 85895)
Hi, Mike. I meant to start a new thread so that Cate would see my message to her about protein shakes. Thanks for making it a sticky. :)

Harpoon! I gotta go back and read the past couple days posts to see what your're talking about.

Your pics are incredible. They look so professional! Did you take photography classes?

I just know that people were eyeballing me at the beach and ready to harpoon me or push me back in the water. I don't feel like a whale yet, more like a walrus.

Thanks, No photography classes. I would really love to take one, I guess that would give me a good excuse to go buy a fancy camera. ;)

Mern 07-22-2012 04:28 PM

Mike, I'd be in danger at a beach for sure. I'd have to wear a vibrant color so people wouldn't think I'm a whale.

If I could take professional looking pictures like you, I'd treat myself to an expensive camera.

quinnesec 07-23-2012 12:25 AM

I am SO ready to get back on track! Covered almost 800 miles since Friday, eating at every restaurant along the way. Mackinaw was great, but ate deep-fried everything and, of course, famous Mackinaw fudge. :o Sunday, we made the trip to my two favorite wineries and stocked up for the year. Sampled 12 different wines, before picking out my favorites, so I'm moving a little slow today. At least after drinking all of that wine, I don't remember just how much I ate at the same time! lol

Too much birthday cake, too much deep-fried, too much wine... just too much! I NEED LIMITS!! :D Not weighing in until Friday... :o

Back to following the rules...

1. Calories between 1000-1200.
2. 80-90 oz. of liquid a day.
3. Walk daily! (Stop making excuses!)
4. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day.
5. Remember all vitamins and supplements.

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 12:31 AM

Good morning, fellow FitDayers :)

I'm sitting here arguing with myself over a second cup of tea as to whether or not to hit a trail this morning, and, if so, which one. I'm working at home today so I can conceivably get out there. I can do the 2-2.5 hour one with the wicked climbing, or I can do the 1.25 hour one that's relatively flat. Or I could stay put for now and hit the treadmill and weights later today. I'm considering how quickly it's going to get hot, how much work I have, the fact that I have an attorney calling me "anytime after 11," and the fact that I'm coming off a very rough night (slept about 4.5 hours). But that sounds like making excuses, which I've been doing too much of lately.

Thanks, Mern, for starting off, and Mike for sticky-ing.

Maybe by the time I've had my tea and posted goals, I'll have decided what to do...

P.S. Oh hai, Quinn!

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 12:48 AM

Putting out the "greatest hits" of my goals, hopefully to hit them for the most part this week:

1. Calories below 1300.
2. Balance pie chart and follow my rules.
3. Drink 2 blue bottles or 3 clear bottles of water daily.
4. Log everything and post daily.
5. Eat clean.
6. 3-4 fruits and veggies per day (I'm stealing ;)).
7. Take all vitamins and supplements.
8. Sleep 7 hours, at least, per night.
9. Exercise 6 hours total this week.

I know I've already blown the sleep goal, but hopefully I can pull that out the rest of the week; I may try melatonin again. Between the sleep and the stress, I feel like a cortisol factory and I know that's not good.

This week will be easier in some ways and harder in others; hubby left this morning on a business trip and will return Friday evening.

Wishing you all a great week!

traceymc1985 07-23-2012 01:54 AM

Hi everyone- wasnt around that much last week- so much going on with it being kids last week at school. But i did well and exercised so much. Had 3 exercise sessions last week- 2 bootcamps too and aas a family we all went on a walk which took us all 3 hours yesterday in the sunshine. So great to have the support of my partner and kids who are encouraging us all to get moving more and becoming a much more healthy famlily.
Had weigh in today and lost 1lb!! Im ecstatic to be under 11stone- dont remember ever being this and it feels fab!!
I would have liked to have lost a little more but the motivational talk today made sense and i think it could have been a reason- over estimated how many calories im burning but under estimating the amount of calories im eating!! So this week im making sure to be extra accountable and writing every little thing down to the exact calorie or as close as i can get.

Final bootcamp is in 6 weeks and my set goal is 10st 8lb- that 5lb to lose and i really hope to get to this and without sounding too over confident id love to even lose extra.

Heres to a fantasic week- Tracey xx

wildbeanerz 07-23-2012 02:09 AM

I had the most wonderful weekend. I spent the whole thing with my hubby. Saturday we didn't do much. Had delicious meals and we both got some exercise in and I did the laundry. Sunday was supposed to be a day he went on a dice run for breast cancer but his ride partner bailed at the last minute and he didn't want to go alone. So after breakfast he casually asked if I wanted to go shirt shopping. Awwww...he said he knew I need some shirts that fit better :D What a guy! I ended up with 4 new tops, 1 new work slacks, 2 new bras and a dress. Yep, you read that right...A DRESS! I may wait a little longer to wear it as it is a tad exposing on the cleavage at the moment but it was so cute and pretty and I made the decision to buy it. If it will upload for me I will show a pic later. I am not a dress person simply for the fact that I have no way to hide my belly in a dress. That is why I stick with skirts and tops.
Don't mind my flip flops, LOL! I was wearing shorts and a TShirt before trying clothes on.
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u...IzMDEuanBn.jpg

I have to say that I am very proud of my hubby as well. Since buying the treadmill on Thursday he has spent 20 minutes on it every day. I think his switch is about to be flipped. :)

Oh and OMG you guys!!! I am 1.6lbs from 100lbs lost this morning. It has been steadily dropping over the past few day and if I keep that rate I should make my 100 by this weekend! I am really trying not to harp on it and I am definitely not letting it make me do anything crazy like not eating or working out like a maniac but I do really really want it!

Goals? Oh My....

Health / Fitness Goals...
1. 100 oz water daily
2. 5 different fruits/veggies daily
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes every day this week
4. Walk on lunch M,T,Th & F (appt on W)
5. Weigh and post daily M: 232.8lbs,

Life Goals...
1. Do work paperwork every day
2. 20 day review & dr appt for son Weds
3. Find something positive each day (been focusing on some negative stuff so stealing this goal)

Mern 07-23-2012 02:50 AM

I really have to get serious this week. I'm way up on the scale. I have gained at least 5 lbs. since my May 22 medical checkup and I'm not retaining water. I used the midwest USA heat wave as an excuse to slack off exercise. Now I'm having back pain from just standing for 15 minutes. I don't know how long I could walk without pain. So I'm headed to the gym to find out how much treadmill I can do--gonna try to do half an hour.

Quinn, so glad you had such a great time in Mackinaw. This maybe isn't the place to say it, but I think one deprives herself/himself of the full experience of such a trip by not taking a couple days off from regular healthful eating to enjoy the "destination cuisine." :)

Cassie, wishing you some good exercise. Let us know what you chose. Best wishes on your greatest hits list. :)

Tracey, fabulous job on the exercise and on losing even more weight! :)

April! You look fantastic in that dress! Your being close to 100 lbs. lost is simply THRILLING! Can't wait to see THAT announcement. :)

My goals this week are same as always--will post them later. This week includes a new one though--not even one cheat--not even a nibble.

kayla.underhill 07-23-2012 03:00 AM

Hi everyone! Is it ok if I join you? I'm in need of some extra motivation and some friends who are going through some of the same things I am. I come from a family of primarily large people, and no one is understand why I would want to do anything to change that. Seriously? Anywho, goals for this week:

Fitness:
-Stay within calorie limits.
-Keep my pie chart WAY more yellow than purple. (Carbs are my mega weak spot)
-Work out at least 3 days (Preferably 4). NO EXCUSES.
-Much more water, and cut down tea.

Other:
-Keep up with laundry (I washed a mountain this weekend, and do not want to let it go that long ever again!)
-Get the baby in bed by 9:30 and myself in bed by 10:30.

Wimpy though it may seem, that's all I have for this week. Also, what is everyone's vote on the usefulness of a food scale? I really want one, but do not want to spend the money if they are not helpful. :)

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 03:55 AM

April, your dress is very pretty and extremely flattering. I'm glad you had such a good experience clothes shopping :). I was thinking about you this morning wondering if you were getting your ink yet...soon!

Tracey, wonderful job! Your excitement is contagious! Congrats on your hard work.

Mern, best of luck to you. We are here to cheer you on! Let us know how it goes. You got this ;). I did the shorter trail...about 1.25 hours...it's already well into the 80s and very muggy, so I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Kayla, welcome! We love new folks to join :D. It can get a little crazy; just participate at whatever level you're comfortable. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Quinn, sounds like your weekend was terrific and full of memories. Enjoy your upcoming trek as well...especially the "me" time!

Come to think of it, I had a wonderful weekend, too, also due to spending all of it with hubby and (some of it) son. We did a couple home projects, went to the farmer's market, spent Saturday evening downtown trying a new restaurant and seeing the semis of the Atlanta Open...very exciting! Pretty much spent a lazy Sunday; did some shopping, watched a movie, drove with the boy. I haven't had to cook since Thursday since hubby had a business dinner and he and his co-worker were the only local attendees. His co-worker is a particular eater, so hubby brought home family style Italian leftovers of two salads, an appetizer, three entrees (fish, pasta, chicken), and dessert...literally three shopping bags full of food! So, not the greatest diet choice, but it was free and only needed reheating. I was careful the rest of the days :o.

Sounds like we all have some momentum to take into this week!

bojibridge 07-23-2012 04:44 AM

Hey guys, sorry I bailed last week. Rough week with personal issues, still not resolved, but eating isn't going to change that, right? RIGHT! I think it's going to be one of those months where you just can't wait for it to be over. I've got this stupid personal stuff where I've become involved in a situation I just don't want to be involved in, but can't recuse myself because other people insist on involving me. Then, I move on the 9th (just to a different apartment), and then my candidacy exam on the 27th. Classes start back on the 29th. Blargh. The point is, my month will not be any better if I let myself eat crap - in fact, it will be worse! Now I just have to remember that...

April - you look awesome! For realz.

01gt4.6 07-23-2012 05:11 AM

Here are my goals...

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 85908)
4. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day.
5. Remember all vitamins and supplements.

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 85910)
4. Log everything and post daily.
5. Eat clean.

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 85918)
1. 100 oz water daily
5. Weigh and post daily

Life Goals...
3. Find something positive each day (been focusing on some negative stuff so stealing this goal)

:D

1. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day.
2. Remember all vitamins and supplements.
3. Log everything and post daily.
4. Eat clean.
5. 100 oz water daily
6. Exercise at least 30 minutes every day this week
7. Weigh and post daily

Life Goals...
8. Find something positive each day (been focusing on some negative stuff so stealing this goal)

quinnesec 07-23-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 85921)

Quinn, so glad you had such a great time in Mackinaw. This maybe isn't the place to say it, but I think one deprives herself/himself of the full experience of such a trip by not taking a couple days off from regular healthful eating to enjoy the "destination cuisine." :)

WHAT SHE SAID!! :D

I agree, in fact so much so that I brought home 9 bottles of "local cuisine" to enjoy during the winter months! ;)

01gt4.6 07-23-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 85939)

I agree, in fact so much so that I brought home 9 bottles of "local cuisine" to enjoy during the winter months! ;)

Rum cake comes in bottles now?:confused:

nobe 07-23-2012 08:57 AM

It's pretty impossible to log and report these days, but I'm still going to be here in spirit. Trying to eat right, keep moving, and drink lots of water. I don't know if I'll be down this week - I've had a couple of salty days - but I shouldn't be up. Stress is a great weight loss tool ;)

April, you look awesome! Great job!

Mern 07-23-2012 10:07 AM

Kayla, welcome! :) Your goals aren't wimpy--quite admirable. On the usefulness of a food scale. I weigh and measure everything due to my way of eating and to help manage my blood sugar, triglycerides and cholesterol. I couldn't get along without it. Well worth the investment--I got mine off Ebay for only $20. How old is your baby? I well remember the mountains of laundry. My kids are now 35 and 32.

Cassie, thanks so much for your encouragement. I was surprised when I went to the Y today that I was able to do the whole half hour on the treadmill at level 4 difficulty and burned 211 calories. My back did hurt somewhat but I wasn't even close to having to cut the walk short. Kudos on your hike today in the muggy weather! Wow, your weekend sounds great!

Joanna, huge hug to ya as you work out your sticky personal situation, move to your new apartment, and get your candidacy work done. You are so wise to have thought of that--eating crap would just make things worse.

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 85939)

:D

Hey, Quinn, guess where I'm goin' next week--give you a hint. I'm gonna be a "fudgie." I wanted to go away this week or next for just a couple days but didn't know where. DH told me this morning his BFF said his wife wants to go somewhere for just a couple days but didn't know where. She suggested we go somewhere together, so I suggested Mackinac Island since it's just a nine hour drive. (I didn't know until today that Mackinac is pronounced in French the same as the city of Mackinaw. ) I'm gonna be really good on my exercise and food this week, enjoy the local cuisine on vacation, and then try to get right back on the wagon. We're driving up on the 31st, touring Mackinac on August 1, and coming home the 2nd.

I'll be back later--gonna do dinner.

Mern 07-23-2012 10:31 AM

Nobe, huge hug to you, too. Wishing you stress relief. Good to check in even if you don't have the time, energy, or desire to do a report.

I didn't log my food until this evening. I didn't eat any cheat food today and, surprisingly, my food accomplishments will be fairly well on target. :)

judipurple 07-23-2012 11:40 AM

Kayla, welcome! And I'll second the value of a good scale. I think I got mine at WalMart, and knowing me, it was less than $25. Invaluable for controlling portions, and controlling intake!

April, that lil'ol dress is adorable - and you look hot! Very feminine - lovely!

Mern, glad the time on the treadmill didn't cause too much pain - just pace yourself and listen to your body.

Quinn, Cassie, Tracey and all the rest of the smokin' babes on this thread (yeah, you, too Mike!) - thanks for sharing and encouraging - I am enjoying the rapport and the banter, and glad to find others in the same boat!:D

Okay, in addition to keeping the numbers in control, walking/jogging, meditation time, and positive thoughts...I will be mindful of what I say to my kids & DH and how I say it. Frustration and aggravation add a unpleasant tone to my thoughts and add a sarcastic edge to words.

Numbers: Calories: 1,682 Fat: 88.6g Carbs: 71.8g Protein: 151.3g

Didn't do the walk today - since I did the 5K yesterday and the hike at mom's, these old bones needed a break. I did manage to move *more* mulch, so some 'weight lifting'?:rolleyes: The mulch was wet from the rain, and pretty heavy.;)

nichaleh 07-23-2012 12:11 PM

Hi everyone, I joined fitday a week and a half ago. I have been steadily working on my weight and health since october last year. So far I have lost 10 1/2 kilos! (about 23lbs)

Here are my goals for the week:

*keep between 1200 and 1350 calories

*keep my pie chart balanced, at least 30% protein from a healthy source.

*switch some of my coffees for tea ( I drink A LOT of coffee, more since I gave up coke)

*Keep an eye on my sodium intake (fitday is great for helping me see what nutrients I am not getting enough of and what could be reduced)

*Go to my first Bootcamp session at the gym next Wednesday.

*Next time my 7 year old daughter asks me to do something physical with her, do it instead of making excuses. It will not kill me to get up 15 minutes earlier and walk some of the way to school while she rides her bike. If it is cold - wear a jumper. if it is wet - take an umbrella and a raincoat. If it is not possible to do the activity she is asking for- find a physical activity that is possible and get up and do it!

life goals-

focus on my assignment this week, don't leave it to the last minute.
remind myself that I am blessed with good friends and a loving family
Be a bit more organised in the morning and get everyone off to school and work on time everyday!

I had to put in, APRIL you look amazing in that dress.

canary52 07-23-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 85918)
I had the most wonderful weekend. I spent the whole thing with my hubby. Saturday we didn't do much. Had delicious meals and we both got some exercise in and I did the laundry. Sunday was supposed to be a day he went on a dice run for breast cancer but his ride partner bailed at the last minute and he didn't want to go alone. So after breakfast he casually asked if I wanted to go shirt shopping. Awwww...he said he knew I need some shirts that fit better :D What a guy! I ended up with 4 new tops, 1 new work slacks, 2 new bras and a dress. Yep, you read that right...A DRESS! I may wait a little longer to wear it as it is a tad exposing on the cleavage at the moment but it was so cute and pretty and I made the decision to buy it. If it will upload for me I will show a pic later. I am not a dress person simply for the fact that I have no way to hide my belly in a dress. That is why I stick with skirts and tops.
Don't mind my flip flops, LOL! I was wearing shorts and a TShirt before trying clothes on.
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u...IzMDEuanBn.jpg

I have to say that I am very proud of my hubby as well. Since buying the treadmill on Thursday he has spent 20 minutes on it every day. I think his switch is about to be flipped. :)

Oh and OMG you guys!!! I am 1.6lbs from 100lbs lost this morning. It has been steadily dropping over the past few day and if I keep that rate I should make my 100 by this weekend! I am really trying not to harp on it and I am definitely not letting it make me do anything crazy like not eating or working out like a maniac but I do really really want it!

Goals? Oh My....

Health / Fitness Goals...
1. 100 oz water daily
2. 5 different fruits/veggies daily
4. Walk on lunch M,T,Th & F (appt on W)
5. Weigh and post daily M: 232.8lbs,

Life Goals...
1. Do work paperwork every day
2. 20 day review & dr appt for son Weds

You look gorgeous!!! Don't wait to wear it!! Great dress. And congrats on almost 100!!!!

quinnesec 07-23-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 85951)

Hey, Quinn, guess where I'm goin' next week--give you a hint. I'm gonna be a "fudgie." I wanted to go away this week or next for just a couple days but didn't know where. DH told me this morning his BFF said his wife wants to go somewhere for just a couple days but didn't know where. She suggested we go somewhere together, so I suggested Mackinac Island since it's just a nine hour drive. (I didn't know until today that Mackinac is pronounced in French the same as the city of Mackinaw. ) I'm gonna be really good on my exercise and food this week, enjoy the local cuisine on vacation, and then try to get right back on the wagon. We're driving up on the 31st, touring Mackinac on August 1, and coming home the 2nd.

I'll be back later--gonna do dinner.

That's awesome! Don't even try to watch your calories there! Don't forget to visit Mackinaw City, too... lots to see and do, lots to eat and some fun shopping. There's a cool courtyard behind the main street (Central Avenue) with cute shops, a movie theater and live music. I'll be back there this weekend to pick up daughter, so we will just miss you!

quinnesec 07-23-2012 02:21 PM

Not starting off all that well today. I seem to have a total lack of concentration, temporary ADD or something. ;) Spent the afternoon pitting cherries to make jam in the morning. (Don't tell anyone that I said this, but it was kind of fun!) Thinking about making a raspberry liqueur next. Have to use all of this pesky fruit somehow! ;)

Monday:

1. Calories between 1000-1200. 1103
2. 80-90 oz. of liquid a day. No
3. Walk daily! (Stop making excuses!) No, no time.
4. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day. Yes
5. Remember all vitamins and supplements. Yes

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 02:34 PM

I pitted cherries today, too. It looked like a crime scene; there was cherry juice all over the place!

I found a load of healthier recipes for using summer fruit, Quinn...I will see if I can post the link. I think it was from Eating Well but I can't recall. I have a ton of them on my "to try" list.

catebert 07-23-2012 02:41 PM

Hi everyone!

Have not had a chance to catch up with today’s posts, :o but will do so tomorrow.

Here are my stats for today:

<1400 calories: M: 1329
Net Carbs < 20: M: 17.4
Water >64(oz): M: 50
exercise: M: no, it POURED rain (and hail) first rain in almost 2 months!
Vitamins: M: yes

01gt4.6 07-23-2012 02:49 PM

1. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day. yes
2. Remember all vitamins and supplements. yes
3. Log everything and post daily. yes
4. Eat clean. yes
5. 100 oz water daily yes
6. Exercise at least 30 minutes every day this week yes
7. Weigh and post daily 184.2

Life Goals...
8. Find something positive each day (been focusing on some negative stuff so stealing this goal) yes (the internet was okay at work)

Mern 07-23-2012 02:49 PM

Nichaleh, welcome! Wow, congrats on that quite significant weight loss! Your goals are wonderful. Like so many others here, you sound like such a loving person. :)

Hope and April. I noticed in that pic what great legs April has. Quite a nice reason to wear dresses more often. :) I don't own a dress myself--maybe I will someday again.

Judy, nice report! I can SO much improve on the tone I use with DH. But since he retired way back in 1999 he's become such a control freak. He's almost 73 and I just turned 66. Almost every day he changes the temperature on the stove, crockpot, or oven when I'm cooking. Sometimes he turns it up, sometimes down--defies logic. Same with the clothes washer and dryer. Or he tosses dark clothes in with my whites, or takes the towels out of the dryer when not fully dry and folds and puts them away. I don't know how many times I've gone into the laundry room and found water running down the walls from the dryer not being vented--because he turned off the exhaust fan and turned the room into a sauna. But I don't think he's doing it to save money because he leaves the door wide open in 90 degree weather to go 160 feet round trip to the mailbox or to go out to the garden to pick some veggies for dinner. It's not for lack of something to do--he has plenty things to occupy his time. I've asked him over and over in any number of tones (nice, in a teaching manner, slightly aggravated, or pleading) to not change things on me, but it falls on deaf ears. I think he's trying to help me with my chores, but I'd rather do them myself my way. I keep telling myself these are little things that don't matter, but it still drives me nuts. LOL

Quinn, our motel is in Grayling (about 1 1/2 hr. south of Mackinaw City) but if we have time after Mackinac Island I'll see if the others want to stop in Mackinaw on the way back to the motel. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'm gonna eat what I want, but do you know of any good places on the island where my friend could get a healthful lunch? She's got all kinds of dietary restrictions for health reasons including having had her gall bladder removed. I looked on the Internet for dining guides. Except for the more upscale or more pricey restaurants and hotels, it looks like mostly burgers, BBQ and hot dogs. Any ideas? What was fun--pitting the cherries or making the jam? It is kinda fun making the slit on the cherries and popping them out. Kinda theraputic when you think of it as the head of someone with whom one is annoyed. (I had to giggle that after I typed that--I went to see if there were any more posts and Cassie said it looked like a crime scene after she pitted cherries. LOL You really know how to make raspberry liqueur? Sounds yummy!

Mern 07-23-2012 02:54 PM

Cate, the opening post has some shake ideas. Nice Monday report--really close on the water, too, and we'll let you off the hook on the exercise today. :p

Mike, great report! Glad you found something positive in your day.

kayla.underhill 07-23-2012 03:19 PM

Ok, almost bedtime, so here are today's results.

Fitness:
-Stay within calorie limits. Yes, 598.
-Keep my pie chart WAY more yellow than purple. (Carbs are my mega weak spot) Only 14% Carbs, and even those came from fruit.
-Work out at least 3 days (Preferably 4). NO EXCUSES. Yes, worked my butt off!
-Much more water, and cut down tea. Kinda failed, 2 water bottles, then I ran out, and drank tea the rest of the night...

Other:
-Keep up with laundry (I washed a mountain this weekend, and do not want to let it go that long ever again!) I folded laundry, so I'm gonna say that counts.
-Get the baby in bed by 9:30 and myself in bed by 10:30. Its 10:18, so if I hurry there's still time!

Total truth, I have been scared to join this thread for a long time, but I'm super glad I did. Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome and at ease. Goodnight all!

Mern 07-23-2012 03:55 PM

Kayla, well done today! Aw, I'm sorry you were scared to join our thread--but I'm so glad you finally did. None of us here are perfect. And I haven't run into even one judgmental person in our group, either. When we fall, we just pick ourselves up and start over.

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 04:51 PM

Mern, I'm glad you were able to finish your workout at the gym. The next one will be easier, still.

Hi nobe, how are things with the trolls? I've been out of the loop.

I caught a half hour nap this afternoon, literally not able to keep my eyes open. However, that only brings my total for 24 hours to 5, so I am taking the melatonin and hitting they hay!

1. Calories below 1300. Yes
2. Balance pie chart and follow my rules. Yes
3. Drink 2 blue bottles or 3 clear bottles of water daily. Yes
4. Log everything and post daily. Yes
5. Eat clean. Yes
6. 3-4 fruits and veggies per day (I'm stealing ). Yes
7. Take all vitamins and supplements. Yes
8. Sleep 7 hours, at least, per night. Not even close!
9. Exercise 6 hours total this week. 75 min.

fit4luv 07-23-2012 05:39 PM

Hi you all! I'm not giving up . . . I shall persevere . . .

Mern, thanx for your concern. I'm honored that I was missed. You make my heart warm & fuzzy.:) This group truly, truly is the best. By the way, I did finish off our challenge eons ago . . .:p.

I'm totally amazed at all of you who stick it through, keep going & overcome great obstacles.

Brief Update: I had lots of things happening, but still loooove this site. I gained 2 pounds on my last Dr. (well, nurse practioner) visit, but they were impressed that I stayed down from where I was. Due to physical "challenges" I had to back down on my walking. I'm now better than I was & so now can do 1 mile at a time. . . so frustrating.

SO here goes . . . . .

FOCUS
*Thankful Journal - Entry daily . . .x5

INTAKE
*Log nutrition . . . daily x5
*Vit . . . daily x5

TRAIN
*Walk 1 mile. . . daily x4
*Free Weights . . . x2

Sundays are still my "off" days, but within reason.

I may not be the best at keeping up right now. But hopefully soon will be back to a better me with more energy. Cheers to all!

nichaleh 07-23-2012 10:37 PM

I have had a pretty good day today, I tried out a beginner zumba video that a friend loaned to me. I managed about 25 minutes before falling in a heap, wow it's fast! I reminded myself to get up every half hour and move around. cut back a bit on coffee and kept within my calories. I did eat a lot more carbs today than I planned. I do know how that happened though, it is all about needing to be more organised... a common theme for me. I will work on it.

MERN: thankyou for the welcome :)
Everyone: I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully we can all support each other to get where we want to be.

*keep between 1200 and 1350 calories yes

*keep my pie chart balanced, at least 30% protein from a healthy source.no, way too many carbs today. I need to be more organised! I forgot to defrost meat for dinner today and ended up making pasta. Still within calories though

*switch some of my coffees for tea ( I drink A LOT of coffee, more since I gave up coke) yes! I only had 2 coffees today, a big change.

*Keep an eye on my sodium intake (fitday is great for helping me see what nutrients I am not getting enough of and what could be reduced)still a bit high

*Go to my first Bootcamp session at the gym next Wednesday.

*Next time my 7 year old daughter asks me to do something physical with her, do it instead of making excuses. It will not kill me to get up 15 minutes earlier and walk some of the way to school while she rides her bike. If it is cold - wear a jumper. if it is wet - take an umbrella and a raincoat. If it is not possible to do the activity she is asking for- find a physical activity that is possible and get up and do it!well, she didn't ask... but I did race her through the school playground and to the car!

life goals-

focus on my assignment this week, don't leave it to the last minute. hmmmmmm not enough today,

remind myself that I am blessed with good friends and a loving familyYES

Be a bit more organised in the morning and get everyone off to school and work on time everyday! better today than yesterday and tomorrow will be better again :)

cjohnson728 07-24-2012 12:43 AM

Hi luv, so good to see you back! Sorry to hear you've had some challenges, but I know you can push past and persevere.

Nichaleh, welcome! Looks like you are making some good progress on your goals.

quinnesec 07-24-2012 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 85982)
I pitted cherries today, too. It looked like a crime scene; there was cherry juice all over the place!

I found a load of healthier recipes for using summer fruit, Quinn...I will see if I can post the link. I think it was from Eating Well but I can't recall. I have a ton of them on my "to try" list.

I laughed so hard when I read that you were pitting cherries at the same time! I have a homemade cherry-pitter made from an old fork that it my all-time favorite... much quicker and better than anything that you can buy.

My husband came in the door from work last night, saw me working at the counter with my homemade "surgical" instrument, purple rubber medical gloves and the red "bloodbath" of pits and asked who the "unlucky patient" was! lol

Actually, the jam is cooking now and it smells amazing! :)

judipurple 07-24-2012 01:47 AM

Cherry Jam!!!

I tell ya, great minds think alike! I did a batch of cherry preserves this past Saturday - tried something different - added a bit of cognac, letting the alcohol evaporate, and it added an incredible flavor! The bottle of Courvoisier was just collecting dust, anyhow - might as well get something useful out of it (besides a touch of hangover):rolleyes:.

kayla.underhill 07-24-2012 01:50 AM

Nichaleh, I have been struggling with a very similar problem with carbs. And a lot of it was being unaware, i would log everything at the end of the day and that entire pie chart would be purple. And I'd be going "How did this happen?! I thought I was doing so good!"
What has worked for me is either the night before or first thing in the morning, I put in at least my breakfast and my lunch, sometimes dinner too. And if it is too heavy on carbs or fat, I make adjustments until its not anymore. It helps me because my day is already planned out and I don't have to really think about it, and I know that I'm not going to surprise myself at the end of the day when I log in. :)

quinnesec 07-24-2012 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 85985)
Quinn, our motel is in Grayling (about 1 1/2 hr. south of Mackinaw City) but if we have time after Mackinac Island I'll see if the others want to stop in Mackinaw on the way back to the motel. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'm gonna eat what I want, but do you know of any good places on the island where my friend could get a healthful lunch? She's got all kinds of dietary restrictions for health reasons including having had her gall bladder removed. I looked on the Internet for dining guides. Except for the more upscale or more pricey restaurants and hotels, it looks like mostly burgers, BBQ and hot dogs. Any ideas? What was fun--pitting the cherries or making the jam? It is kinda fun making the slit on the cherries and popping them out. Kinda theraputic when you think of it as the head of someone with whom one is annoyed. (I had to giggle that after I typed that--I went to see if there were any more posts and Cassie said it looked like a crime scene after she pitted cherries. LOL You really know how to make raspberry liqueur? Sounds yummy!

We try not to have our main meals on the island because it tends to be very pricey for what you get. Some of the restaurants in Mackinaw City will prepare a picnic-type box lunch for you to bring across on the ferry. A picnic on Mackinaw Island is heavenly. That is a good way to take care of any dietary restrictions, as well. I've provided a link for local restaurants. By contacting them ahead of time, they can have such a lunch ready for you. Healthy food choices are extremely difficult on or off the island. It's mostly, as you say, touristy, high calorie foods. There are several places that I saw offering local fish, but most were in the form of "fish and chips".

Mackinaw City Restaurants: Check out 1,504 reviews on 27 restaurants

And, yes, I make my own raspberry liqueur and limoncello that I use for "hostess gifts" and for our own after dinner use. It takes a long time, but it's worth it! :)