Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational starting 6/11/12: Let's get this party started >

7 Day Motivational starting 6/11/12: Let's get this party started

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational starting 6/11/12: Let's get this party started

Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys. Today was pretty hectic at work but I'm trying to keep my head up. Yesterday I found out that my daughter will be moving in with her boyfriend soon. No definite date but she's thinking 4 months. That's not the part that bothers me. The part that bothers me is that he just graduated with an engineering degree and is looking at jobs in either Tx. or OK. So that was kinda a tough pill for me to swallow. We've had some problems in the past, who hasn't with their teenage child, right? Much of it was issues between her and my GF and some of y'all probably remember that I had a long talk with my GF a while back and told her that she needed to big the bigger person and bury that hatchet and start over with a clean slate. She did, she and my daughter talked and for the past few months things have been getting better. My daughter and I have started to grow close again and she has matured quite a lot. It just sucks that after having a couple rough (teenage) years, now she's almost 20, things are going good to only find out she's about to pack up and move to another state.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Check in:

1. 1300 or fewer calories daily. 780, 931, 944, 991, 1296
2. Log everything and post goals daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Exercise 6 hours (four half-hour runs, at least, included). 60 minutes Tues.(included one run), 60 minutes Wed., 30 minutes Thur.(included one run).

Don't think I'll get my exercise goal in...forgot the fact that it's a tournament weekend; spent all day there and back at 7:30 AM tomorrow. At least it'll get me into the bed at a decent hour!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome job this week Cassie!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
FitDay Member

I'm in painting mode, so I ended up spending a couple hours today painting the grubby baseboards and door frames and windowsills in my house. The week after next the friend I was painting for is coming over and we're painting part of my living room and kitchen. It's a rental and I have to work with the weirdest mish-mash of stuff - forest green carpet and bright yellow paint in the living room, and rusty red paint in the kitchen. My house looks like a hot dog with ketchup, mustard and relish on it. So I'm painting the yellow and red pale blue to tone down the craziness a bit...it doesn't clash with the stupid carpet but isn't neutral, and won't give me anxiety attacks like my current colours do. So excited. Anyway, the point is, I spent a couple hours painting today and I'm totally counting it.

1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600) - 1660, 1509, 1571, 1427, 1588
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/gardening/Richard Simmons/stationary bike) - walking 1hr/weights, 20 mins stationary bike/weights, painted 7 hrs, painted 6 hrs (last day!), painted 2 hrs/walk 1/2 hr
3) 20% protein minimum - 19%, 24%, 25%, 21%, 25%
4) 64oz water minimum - 64oz, 72oz+, 64oz, not enough, 64oz
5) calorie deficit 700+ - 559, 725, 1167, 1230, 760
6) take vitamins - yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
7) lights out by 11 the night before - no, no, no, no, no
8) no food after 8pm the night before - no, yes, yes, yes, yes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
FitDay Member

1.) Workout x4: 4
2.) Under 1400 calories/day, 1600 on Saturday: 1329, 1150, 1275, 1216, ~1750
3.) Drink 64 oz. of water/day: 80 oz., 72 oz., 96 oz., 78 oz., 64 oz.
4.) Study 5 hours total: 40 mins, 80 mins, 60 mins (total: 3 hours)

Bit of the rails re: calories - that always happens to me when I bake! I just eat little bits along the way and it all adds up. In addition to the fact that I ate Thai and had gelato for lunch Ah well, these things happen. I don't know about tomorrow, even with my increased allowance... I should go into it optimistically, but my mom's having a party and I'm helping her, and there's lots of food and drink, and well, I kinda just want to eat all of it. We'll see how it goes...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

Ama, I saw your post about your 3 year old. He sounds a lot like my daughter, and all four of my daughter's children when they were that age. (My son was very docile--don't know how that happened.) I'm no child rearing expert, but I do know that the behavior you describe is quite common--instead of "terrible twos" it's "terrible threes." I do understand your frustration, though.

Would be so nice if kids came with one size fits all instructions, wouldn't it? Kids are so different. What works for one may not work for another.

I can say, though that I know for a fact that kids who are holy terrors at home may be little angels at school. It may be that they don't know what to expect at school in the way or discipline or would be too embarrassed to be disciplined by a teacher. At home kids feel more of a need to push your buttons in order to reap attention--yes, even negative attention for which the child KNOWS he will be punished. Doesn't mean that you are neglectful--most kids with siblings will compete for attention.

I agree with your time-out for his telling you to shut up--even facing the corner and no words from you at all until his assigned time-out is up because if you scold him during his time out, you're still giving him negative attention and the satisfaction of pushing your buttons. Isolation and being ignored is what he doesn't want, so you're in control and get a break yourself during his time-out.

Time-out would also be mandatory with me for throwing things. When I learned time-out for throwing didn't work with certain of my kids or grandkids, something else I used to do when they were that young and threw stuff was to immediately grab their wrists and hold them firmy (not hurting them) while lecturing them on how dangerous it is to throw stuff "because you can hurt someone or break something." I'd hold their wrists for about a minute--when finished with the short lecture, I'd continue to hold their wrists without any more talk for the remainder of that minute. They didn't like that, so I told them I'd do that each and every time until they learned to never throw anything again. Consistency is the key. Repeating that only two or three times broke the habit with any of them. If that fails, I don't know what else to advise.

My suggestion for the potty training and running around in his birthday suit is to reward him for his good behavior and respond with as little words as necessary when he poops in his pants and runs around naked because your aggravation is negative attention he seeks--so don't give him the satisfaction. Yeah, I know it's easier said than done, but it does work.

You know about little boys urinating on a couple Cheerios in the potty? Gives them some fun squirting them around. There are also flushable targets you can buy--I don't know where to get them.

My grandson was hard to potty train. He'd say he didn't have to go and then would go into the living room and immediately poop his pants. I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of stickers, and really cheap packets of toys like marbles (he didn't put them in his mouth), pocket cars, resin farm and jungle animals, shiny coins and decorative stones from the craft aisle. He could earn one sticker, marble, shiny coin, or stone for urinating in the potty chair or toilet. A bowel movement netted him a pocket car or farm animal or two of the stickers, marbles, etc. he got for urinating. (Your son could earn extra for each DAY he doesn't run around in his birthday suit.) When he gets to cooperating on that, you could move up to a nicer toy for which he could work if he stayed clean for a certain number of days. We kept track of that with stickers/stars on a paper. Keeping that toy where he could see it but not play with it was a good incentive.

Last edited by Mern; 06-16-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, kudos on your daughter graduating with that engineering degree! I had missed that. You have to be really proud of yourself for a spectacular parenting job. My DD and I butted heads since she was six years old and her teenage years were just horrid--except for her good grades. I swore I would "keep parenting her until I got it right" and she made the Dean's List in College while earning her degree. She finally settled down and matured, and is now an outstanding single mother of four. She is a good worker--now just waiting for a good promotion--I have no doubt her day will come. I see you hung in there and got it right, too. I'm glad to read that your GF and DD worked things out pretty well and that you and DD are growing close again. I can understand her looking for a job in another state is a tough pill to swallow. Texas and Oklahoma aren't as far as New York or Washington State and nowdays with Skype, cell phones, and email you can keep closer in touch than had you and she been born a couple generations ago. Wishing you both happiness and peace of mind.

Food nicely on track, but I didn't log. I'm slacking on exercise.

Brunch: turkey and fresh spinach with horseradish sauce on half a low carb, high fiber tortilla

Snack: healthful and yummy chocolate black soybean cookies

Dinner: chicken and tuna salad with celery, egg substitute, almonds and ranch dressing on a low carb, high fiber tortilla

Snack tonight will be green peppers, cucumber, and tomato

OMG, I won't know how to act for the next two weeks with grandkids visiting their Dad in Kentucky! This will be the first time since 1976 when my daughter was born that I had that much time kid free. Grandson rode in his booster seat in my car for the last time yesterday--when he returns he'll be 8 years old and can ride with a regular seat belt. Today was the first time since 1994 that I had no kids' car seat in my car.

I'm outdoor grilling for DH's Fathers Day Dinner tomorrow. Menu is:
--Chicken
--potato salad (for him, not me)
--Black soybean baked beans that are so yummy and taste just like regular American baked beans
--fruit salad (I'll eat just melon and berries from it)
--Jello No Bake Peanut Butter Dessert for DH
--Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom black raspberry ice cream bar for me

Last edited by Mern; 06-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Quinn, I've been thinking of you throughout the day, wondering how the party was going. So how did it go? I hope you have a wonderful day of rest tomorrow. Live-in GD has been working like crazy lately trying to save money because when she starts college (locally) at the end of August she won't be able to work as many hours and she has to pay her own car insurance. She HAD to take the day off today because she already got in 40 hours and her Burger King doesn't like to pay overtime. So it wound up that she and her BF (who works at McDonald's) had their first day off together. They were able to go out for lunch together and then attend a high school graduation party of a mutual friend. I was so tickled when I read on her Facebook page yesterday "It's kind of great having a car." And it is kinda great for me to not have to drive her and BF around anymore.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

So, I was going to try to limit my calories just a little bit today - yeah, that didn't happen, like, at all. I don't even want to think about how many calories I consumed today, but it was A LOT.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

1.) Workout x4: 4
2.) Under 1400 calories/day, 1600 on Saturday: 1329, 1150, 1275, 1216, ~1750, Fail
3.) Drink 64 oz. of water/day: 80 oz., 72 oz., 96 oz., 78 oz., 64 oz., 78 oz.
4.) Study 5 hours total: 40 mins, 80 mins, 60 mins, 5 mins (total: 3 hours 5 mins)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.