Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/23/12

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
That's super Amy. Don't you wish you could wear a badge saying - I'm younger than you think .
LOL, you'd think they'd at least give you a sticker at the doctor's office, "labs of a teenager ha!".

I was pretty funny actually because some of the lab results were printed in red, which means there was a change since the last time they were taken. I didn't realize that all those tests were run a year ago November, when I went to the ER for dehydration. So of course there was a change because the last time they ran them I had the flu and hadn't kept anything down for days. Anyway the doc said that when she first opened the file it was startling because of all the red ink and then she had to laugh because clearly I'm on a low-fat, low-sodium, low-sugar, low cholesterol, nearly gluten-free diet, and on top of that I have the HR and blood pressure of an athlete, in summary I have the labs of a much younger woman. My cholesterol was 203 which is higher than she'd normally like it, but my good cholesterol was 147, so even though the total was high, past that test with an A+ and extra credit points as well.

This was the first time the doctor has seen me since I started on this plan, last year I saw her PA, and other than the flu I've been very healthy. Anyway we had sort of a silly conversation where we finished each others sentences on health and diet issues. Doc is an Ironwoman, not only does she compete in those crazy competitions, every so often she wins. We also joked about how all the workout videos say to consult your physician before beginning a workout program and why I never bothered.

So then she says to me that the hospital wants to put together a "Healthy Lifestyle" program and is looking for a facilitator, do I want a job? Um, well that would be a great, but I haven't a single professional credential for something like that. I'm an architect, not a dietician, physical therapist, nurse, trainer, etc etc. So although I'm certain I could design a workout facility with a training kitchen, and put together an effective program, there is no way the hospital's liability insurance will condone me running it. But doc asked if she could put my name in the hat and I said "heck yeah".
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning!

I was just reading through the posts and everyone seems to be so motivated! It's time for me to join the bandwagon. January was such a hectic month that I never fully got back in the game... no additional weight gain, but no loss either. Time for me to make time for myself before my weight creeps back.

Today I meet with our accountant to have our taxes prepared. It is probably one of my least favorite days of the year. I absolutely hate anything involving numbers and finance. I'm good at it; but I'd rather do almost anything else. I am definitely more of the nurturing, creative, eco-friendly, artistic-type. Numbers and finance make my eyes glaze over. Since my husband makes his living advising others about corporate finance, wouldn't you think HE should do it?? But, no; send in the wife. He claims that he works with numbers all day, so he can't be bothered to balance a checkbook or do the taxes. The accountant usually calls him once or twice, while I sit there, because I won't know the answer to something. I wish that he would just go himself!

I've met very few people in my life who are successful at both areas; math and sciences and artistic, nurturing people skills... I wonder why that is? A left-brain/right-brain thing, I suppose. It's certainly true in our home and in my extended family. That topic has always fascinated me.

Lizzie,
I haven't commented on your other thread, but please know that we are in the same boat. Here it is February, and I'm just getting serious about proper eating. As I caught up on your thread, I laughed for about 10 minutes (...seriously had tears running down my cheeks) about your special journal. We have all hit that issue while dieting, but your description was the best! Thanks for a much needed laugh and please keep writing.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13
Mike. Hope you get that other policy written. bTW my ring tone is Bad to the Bone.
LOL, mine too, only it's a piano riff not the guitar version. Let me guess, you have an iphone?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hey mike the videos are shot with a Nikon d7000 or a Sony nex5. My BF works with underwater cameras so he does the videos. That's his passion and it fits well with love of diving. Diving is definitely my passion. No matter what's going on in life it all stops when I hit the water. The peace, the beauty and the thrill of going inside a wreck is like no other. It's one of the few times I am truly happy.

We haven't used any go pros but I have seen lots of video from them. For diving getting enough light is hard with them but topside they do great. I have a friend who skydives and puts one on his helmet...good stuff. So for topside I would go for it.

And for the record I had my Mamo and subsequent sonogram in feb. Mamo are always inconclusive so I have to have a sono. All clear
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Oh, and good news medically, I had my doctor's appointment today, and all those ridiculous tests they ran because I'm "old" came back "better than average". Doc said I have the labs of a much younger woman.
Good news! ... Little funny story...one time my doctor insisted on running every blood test he could think of. It was years back before I made my changes to be healthier. When they came back he sat me down and said he was surprised, they all came out perfect. I looked him in the eye and said "I'm fat, not sick." ... I'm sure that doesn't happen for all overweight people but as we discussed before I was fit fat and a very active and still flexible for being as fat as I was. ... Better add this....not that I am saying you are fat. I reread this and thought it could be taken wrong. Not my intention.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Wednesday Report:

Yesterday I underestimated my carb tally throughout the day as I had so little computer access until after dinner. Didn't eat any cheat foods--just foods that added up--like I forgot a teaspoon of onion powder is almost 1.5g carbs; 2.5g extra carbs came from eating an entire low carb whole grain tortilla when I usually eat only half a tortilla at a time; the extra teaspoon of non-dairy creamer added 1g.--things like that. That's 5 extra grams of carbs right there. But it's not the end of the world.

In an effort to keep my day-to-day blood sugar more stable, I don't go by averages for net carbs. But in the long run, like Cassie reminded me, "it's all about averages." And my average carbs so far this week is 25.4g. Cassie, thanks for that.

Calories 1600 daily max 1554, 1265, 1577
Sat fat average 12% of total calories max 12%, 11%, 12%
Net Carbs 25g daily max 20.8g, 23.5g, 32.2g
Fiber average 25g 30g, 27g, 30g
Protein average 120g 133g, 131g, 151g
Cholesterol average 300mg max 208mg, 251mg, 231mg
Fruits/Veggies 5 servings per day YES, YES, YES

No cheat foods at all even if they fit into my target numbers NONE, NONE, NONE
Exercise 5 times YES, YES, YES
60 oz. water YES, YES, YES

Something wonderful: lovely day ahead for me. Today is one of my two scheduled days off exercise, PLUS live-in GD is off work today so I don't have to drive her anywhere. AND she's going to help cook dinner.

Last edited by Mern; 01-26-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Mern hope you enjoy wonderful day off
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I've met very few people in my life who are successful at both areas; math and sciences and artistic, nurturing people skills... I wonder why that is? A left-brain/right-brain thing, I suppose. It's certainly true in our home and in my extended family. That topic has always fascinated me.
Very very interesting topic. Naturally I'm like you, nurturing, artistic, eco-friendly, musical, but through the course of my life, I've also discovered that I have an intrinsic numeric ability, which really didn't manifest itself until adulthood (my mother is the same way). I will say that it requires a certain level of focus that I may have been incapable of at an earlier age. It drives my husband nuts. Especially when we're out to eat and they bring him the check, and before he can even read to the bottom of the page, I'll tell him what the tip should be (for 15% this and 20% that) to make it a nice round dollar amount. He usually makes some comment about how he was tricked into marrying Rainman. He hates coupon/sale shopping with me too, but loves the checkout experience. I've never seen him happy dance at the register, but I know he wants to...

I'm good at numbers in my own freaky micro finance way, but I have to say that when it comes to big picture finance DH has the upper hand. He has been the mastermind behind most of the bigger finance moves we've made. He worked a "no down payment" mortgage for us even though we had the money to put down, then we used the down payment money to buy extra "points", which reduced our monthly payment so we can afford to make the mortgage payment + equity which puts us on track to pay off the house in much less time. He also got us a low interest equity loan and consolidated some of our higher interest loans which allowed us to pay them all off early as well, stuff like that. Somehow a lot of that stuff escapes me until he points it out, and then I go "ooooh yeah, let's do that". We've saved thousands of dollars with some of his left-handed money logic.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Good news! ... Little funny story...one time my doctor insisted on running every blood test he could think of. It was years back before I made my changes to be healthier. When they came back he sat me down and said he was surprised, they all came out perfect. I looked him in the eye and said "I'm fat, not sick." ... I'm sure that doesn't happen for all overweight people but as we discussed before I was fit fat and a very active and still flexible for being as fat as I was. ... Better add this....not that I am saying you are fat. I reread this and thought it could be taken wrong. Not my intention.
Lol, Oh believe me, I'm fat and won't take offense if you type it here or say it to my face. A long time ago I decided that I wasn't going to be offended by the truth, once I took emotion out of the fat description I could own it and live with it. Even at my heaviest I was not depressed over my weight, just like you I was fit fat, active and happy. I love that story about looking the doctor in the eye and standing up for yourself. I've had to do my share of standing up the to medical profession as well, they don't know everything.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I almost forgot to ask... who's been keeping a close eye on their "girls"? Who has scheduled a mammogram (or as we would call it down here, a ma'am o gram)?

I scheduled my yearly checkup and "inward" exam ... for 2/27/12. I will discuss with my GYN starting mammograms at that point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.