Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving! >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving!

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Rose, thanks for YOUR kind words. I hope you can figure out the how to get in your exercise-that's a tough one. At least walking the dog is something. Personally, I would hate to have to exercise first thing in the morning and then shower and be to work by 9AM.
Mern, I've ordered a new workout DVD and I'm hoping that I can at least squeeze that in before work in the mornings a few times a week and then work out like a maniac on weekends. I'm determined to figure this out! Thanks again for your support!

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Rose ... I just love your reunion story with Chico! I saw you said you only feed him all natural treats. Have you ever tried Old Mother Hubbard treats for him? My Macie has terrible allergies and they are a great selection for her. ... Glad to hear your sugar free life seems to be suiting you well. I don't think I could do that. I do live without added sugar. Don't let that 3.8lbs get you down. It happens. Just accept it and then fix it.
Thanks so much April! I won't let those 3.8lbs get me down. I think I have accepted it and quitting sugar has already helped so much! I have completely gotten rid of the bloat that was getting me down the most because my pants were actually tight! I already feel the heaviness has lifted and my mood is infinitely better. As for Cheeky's treats, I have indeed tried Old Mother Hubbard and he loves them. Buddy Biscuits are still his all time favourite especially the peanut butter. Sweet potato is a close second though.

By the way, April, way to go on your attitude about Thanksgiving dinner! 2.2lbs is probably just the added salt and bloat from a big meal. I am sure you'll be happy with Monday's weigh in!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 11-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

It sure sounds like everyone had a great T'giving. I am glad to see that no one is getting too bogged down in the post Thanksgiving regrets .

To those of you who managed to get some exercise in on the big day - kudos! But 6+ miles in the rain! yikes. This fair weather hiker tips my hat. My exercise consisted of sitting in a car for 5 hours, then sitting in the living room for a hour or so before sitting at the dining room table for 2.5 hours.

BUT the 5 hours in the car was more that worth it to see DH's cousins. One of the cousins & his wife, lives just around the corner from us and they hosted the shindig. The oldest sister flew in from Galveston, the youngest brother, his wife and 2 darling daughters (had to spell it out, 'cuz they are truly darling - 7 & 9) came down from Seattle, and the middle sister and her husbad joined us from Champagne Ill. Their son goes to school a couple towns over so his almost a local. To top it off their dad and his wife arrived from DC.

Their's is such a tight knit family and so much fun to be around.

We ate the usual... including both white and sweet potatoes - a real carb-fest! But I don't care. Did the logging calcs this morning and was almost 1000 cals over my daily limit. But it'll all burn off over the next couple of days, so: no harm, no foul.

Big kudos to all the cooks out there! You deserve a weekend off from the kitchen. And thank-you Canadians (and others) for putting up with all us Americans during this holiday. I don't know if Canandian Thanksgiving is quite as big a deal as it is here - but as you now know our's is fraught with all sorts of family history and histrionics that can bring out the best and the worst in us.

OK... on to Chistmas eeks
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Day 5 going well. I have asked my friend who is doing the same program to send me her end results in the morning so I can post both. Of course there is always the regain - especially as I'm having wine and pizza tomorrow night.

How do I post a link to my food chart? The nutrient value has really surprised me.

Glad to see you all survived Thanksgiving. I'm going shopping this weekend but not crossing the border. Mary
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, I have a square looking old fashioned tube TV in the kitchen and the screen is like 11 1/2 x 9 inches. But somehow it seems way bigger than my 15 inch computer monitor which is 15 inches wide by 9 inches tall. So to me it's also the shape of the screen.

April, you did very well yesterday for a holiday! I'll bet those 2.2 lbs. will come off quickly as you expect. I believe that holiday weight is often just our bodies saying "whoa what was all that food?" --just a reaction to a "foreign" amount of food or salt. Way to go on the lunch walk.

Rose, the workout DVD sounds like a great idea. You can control how much you do more easily and be right in your own home rather than outside or at the gym before work.

Got most of our Christmas decorations up. Just need a few finishing touches-like a couple poinsettias for the living room and maybe a new wreath for the front door.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Pam, about the only exercise I got was walking around my kitchen cooking and raising my fork to my mouth. LOL--at least you had to exercise to get from one place sitting to another place sitting. Aw, that's wonderful that you enjoy DH's family so much. Wow, kudos to you for logging. I didn't because I didn't want to know--but I didn't allow myself to binge. Just ate a normal amount of food--just higher carb and higher calories. I agree with you about the American thanksgiving being quite a big deal "fraught with all sorts of famiy history and histrionics" and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and the football. I, too would like to know about the Canadian Thanksgiving.

Mary, congrats on day 5 going well. I don't know how to post the food chart link but Mike or someone else will tell you.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mary,
Profile > Public Journal, click Public Settings Page > Food Log, set to Publically Viewable > click Change Public Settings > go up to "The link to your journal is:" and copy & paste that link.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Mike I'll try that tomorrow mary
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
FitDay Member

Yey, today I try to catch up first and will report later. Gotta love Fridays. Now on to my inbox to meet the goal

Darlene, yes I think I will stick to my late night reports; I just have to try to do it an hour earlier instead of right at midnight Congrats on a very green week and very productive on your xmas preps!

Mern, thank you, the challenge will be to keep the average over the weekend! My midnight energy boost is not a bad thing, I just find it easier to get things done at that hour but try not to do it too often. I hope once you join us in the crazy wagon you get to sleep more... those are really few hours of sleep :S.

Rose, I will give the oatmeal a try soon. I love dog snores, mine snores like a middle-aged divorced man. I hope you figure out the way to exercise, it really does suck to get up that early... specially in dark cold days but I know it gets harder to get it done later in the day.

Mike, a 19" TV does look cute sorry to say, 40" is quite big though, what do you want to watch in such detail? But I can't say I have issues with that.

April, sounds to me like you did great yesterday. Those couple of pounds will be gone soon, get your water in.

Pam, your day sounds lovely, its great the family time was fun and so many people gathered there.

Mary, I saw the loss on the other thread, congrats!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, one of my favorite taboos in the whole world is cinnamon rolls coated with tons of buttery, vanilla icing. Sure would be nice if we could post food samples. LOL
mmm that sounds very good.

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Well I woke up this morning and all our snow is gone! The temperatures got above zero celsius (that's above 32 F for you American lovelies) and melted our first snowfall away! It's a good thing for me actually because I hadn't even had the chance to cover my patio furniture properly, having been away for over 3 months.

I have just been having a great week, food-wise, not even tempted in the slightest to reach for anything remotely unhealthy but damn it, I just don't know how to squeeze in any exercise! I have to be at work at 9am and it takes me 40 minutes to get there plus I have to reserve about 20 minutes to walk my pooch and I just can't seem to get the workout in! I have to figure this out. I guess I just have to suck it up and get up at 5:30 if I want to have time for breakfast, workout, shower, getting dressed, and walking the dog. Sigh. I hate waking up so early when it's pitch dark out. I have been so spoiled working walking distance from my house and starting at 9:30 every morning for the past 2 years, I forgot what rush hour was like.

Health goals:

1. Don't eat white sugar in any form. DONE/ DONE/ DONE/ DONE
2. Don't eat white flour in any form. DONE/ DONE/ DONE/ DONE
3. Eat 1200-1500 calories per day. 1492/ 1240/ 1256/ 1345
4. Don't eat late at night. YES/ YES/ YES/ YES
6. Exercise 5 times. Not yet, what the hell am I waiting for?/ FINALLY YES/ NO
7. Eat 25% protein or more. M:26%/ T: 36%/ W: 35%/ NO 20%
8. Take vitamins. YES/ YES/ YES/ YES
9. Drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day. YES/ YES/ YES/ YES

Life Stuff:

1. Read every day. YES/ YES/ YES/ YES
2. Sweep the leaves on my stairs. No/ No and it's going to snow tonight! / Shoveled the snow and got rid of the leaves in one fell swoop!
3. Change the burned out light bulbs in the house. Not yet/ Sigh, no./ NO/ Nope
4. Get to work before 9am. YES! NO! Traffic!/ No again SNOW STORM (most everyone was later than me though YES!
5. Mail out forms and pay car registration. Not yet/ I'll do it tomorrow!/ Yikes no again/ Not yet
6. Pay parking tickets. Not yet/ No and I'm embarrassed about it./ Not yet, BOO!/ NOT
7. List something wonderful that happened to me today. Laughed until I cried with an awesome friend/ Was told I look like I could be in my mid twenties!/ Was told my work was fantastic! YAY!/ I came home to my mom cooking dinner for me at my house!

Mike, you never have to worry about Chico getting treats. He has "treat time" every night around 8:30pm. He knows it's coming and he starts to beg around 8:20 or so. Finally I ask him, "Do you want it to be treat time?" And he runs to the kitchen as fast as he can. I give him "Buddy Biscuits" because at least they're all natural. Peanut butter is his favourite! Changing subject abruptly, I have to say I am really impressed how early you got up to prepare Thanksgiving! Wow, the ladies in your household are spoiled. Do they know how good they have it with you?
I haven't been wanting to workout either, which is odd for me... but my diet hasn't been great. Yesterday WAS BAD!!! Probably 6k calories, today has been good but I haven't logged a thing. It's as if I feel like I'm on vacation. It's a good thing that you are able to get in time to walk Chico. I'm sure he appreciates it, as well as the treats. My girls love peanut butter, I think they truly are my kids. You better get busy on those parking tickets! I wouldn't say they are spoiled. Look at it like this... I had first dibs on the cinnamon rolls. I had PLENTY of help from my GF in the kitchen.

Originally Posted by bojibridge
Darlene - I am not a runner at heart! Believe me... I went to high school up in Alaska, and for PE we had to run 3 miles 3 times a week, and we only stopped if it got colder than -20 F. I've reincorporated it a bit since I've been losing weight. So, I guess I'm not a pansy when it comes to running, but I do it 'cause I know it's good for me, not 'cause I like it. I'm thinking about training for a half marathon next spring, but I've not made the mental commitment yet. My sister, however, is a big runner, so three miles was nothing for her, but running with her definitely made me keep my pace up, so it actually felt about 5 miles.

Anyway, I'm trying to recover today from all the butter I ate yesterday - I think my sat. fats reached around 40g Unfortunately, the leftovers are calling my name, but I think I may avoid them altogether.
Joanna, that is some insane temps. Where do you plan on doing the 1/2 marathon, is it part of the Rock 'n Roll series?

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz

Mike ... Good idea paying off your debt like that! I had to LOL at your tv size description. We went from a 19" to a 27" in the bedroom recently. He'd like to go bigger still.
Thanks. The scale doesn't do what we want sometimes but it looks like you're haven't a great week. You should let the hubby get a bigger TV.

Mike, I have a square looking old fashioned tube TV in the kitchen and the screen is like 11 1/2 x 9 inches. But somehow it seems way bigger than my 15 inch computer monitor which is 15 inches wide by 9 inches tall. So to me it's also the shape of the screen.

Got most of our Christmas decorations up. Just need a few finishing touches-like a couple poinsettias for the living room and maybe a new wreath for the front door.
Mern, you aren't playing with the decorations are you? You are hammering out the decorations like a boss!!! I think the shape does play a big roll. The TV's looks so small compared to the old school ones. I guess the good think is that they are getting cheaper and cheaper. I had a 36" tube TV back in 1998 that cost $1500, 13 years later I get a 40" for $250. Last year I got a 50" (I think, it may be a 52" or 55") and it was less than $500 and that wasn't even a Black Friday deal. I hope when I grow up I can have a TV in my kitchen, that would be awesome. The crazy thing... I rarely watch TV, my face is usually buried in this keyboard.

Originally Posted by MAIN80
Mike, a 19" TV does look cute sorry to say, 40" is quite big though, what do you want to watch in such detail? But I can't say I have issues with that.
Get your mind out the gutter.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention...

The middle daughter (the door kicker) was hounding me yesterday b/c she wanted a fried turkey. She had some at a friends house (I guess last year) and was raving about it. When I was at Walmart last night (or this morning depending on how you look at it) I picked up an infrared turkey fryer!! Fried turkey without having to use oil, how cool is that? Anyone here ever use one. I've heard nothing but good stories about them. I guess it's safe to say the a month from now I'll be frying a turkey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.