Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread (AKA It's Time to Get Serious Before the Holidays are Here! >

7-Day Motivational Thread (AKA It's Time to Get Serious Before the Holidays are Here!

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread (AKA It's Time to Get Serious Before the Holidays are Here!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Terri!

Enjoy DC! I'm jealous! I love it there.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mike,

I hear you on the surgery decision. In my case, I had to weigh the pros and cons. For me, personally, the cons won. But, my situation is totally different than yours. For one thing, I'm older and female so if I don't want to lift something, I don't. Secondly, I have multiple drug allergies and controlling pain levels after a surgery would be hard and risky. And third, my husband was an administrator at a spinal surgery center and the outcomes can be sketchy. If you follow people 5-10 years after surgery, only about 50% will be doing better than if they had not had surgery. I seriously don't know anyone who ever got back, 100%, to their "old self" and through the surgery center, I met a lot.

Have I had to make adjustments to my life? Absolutely. I've had to give up doing some things. Does it suck? Sure does. But, too many people currently depend on me to take a chance if I was one of those who had a bad outcome. Most people do feel better afterwards, for a time. Long term, it's less clear. I can control my pain with IB, Flexeril and Chiropractic when I have flareups. I don't jog, lift or do a number of things that I used to, but I'm totally fine with that. My Chiropractor monitors the injury level and advises against surgery until it's absolutely necessary. When it's time for surgery, I know he will let me know because I've seen him advise others to do so. For me, my injury was almost 10 years ago now, and I've gotten along just fine. Will I have surgery in the future? Maybe. But for me, I'd have to be in a lot of daily pain. If your injury is 5 S-1 like mine, you probably won't be able to weight lift; maybe not even after surgery. If that's one of your deciding factors, make sure your surgeon says that you'll be able to do so afterwards. Sometimes things like that can't be guaranteed. They don't know the level of damage until they actually get in there. You just have to decide how import things like that are to you.

It's a hard call and only you know your body. Injections are a temporary fix and only last for so long. Sometimes, you can actually do more damage because you fool yourself into thinking that the injury (bulge) is gone, when the pain is just masked, possibly making the bulge larger.

There are no right answers. Only you will know what's best for you.
Thanks Quinn, for the info. Mine is also L5 - S1, it doesn't look too bad in my MRI, and my thinking (which may be wrong) is if they go in ealry and "shave" the disc down with be better than waiting until it's too late and have to clean up more of a mess. The pain isn't very often at all now, and when it hits it's not as bad as it was. I feel like I walk around as if I'm crippled or in pain, when I'm not just b/c I'm trying to be cautious.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...1109111133.jpg

Last edited by quinnesec; 11-09-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Mike,

I know exactly what you mean. Humor me... how wonderful is your weather there because I'm freezing!!! Went to the store this morning and I forgot that I need gloves so I had to clear my windows with my hands... they're still numb!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

SNOW!!! picture by quinns-pics - Photobucket
Ugh. It's just raining and cold here, so far no white stuff. BTW, the photo bucket has the snow at 2 of 2, so I flipped to 1 of 2 thinking my computer had rushed me. But those people aren't snow at all, the blond looks almost exactly like my neighbor lady.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, busy bunch this morning!

Terri, glad you checked in. Miss you!

Quinn, please keep the white stuff. When it gets really deep, give me a shout and I'll come snowshoe (the name of one of my dearly departed kitties, btw). But for now, I'm loving the fall and I want it to stay as long as possible. We're going to have "cold" and some rain tomorrow and Friday, but the weekend will be lovely...just in time for another tournament quite a ways away. Sounds like soup nights to me! I am totally in the same position as you are; I have allergies to many prescription meds and even Advil, and I live in apprehension that one day I will need surgery for something and won't be able to adequately control pain, but so far, so good.

Mike, it would not be a bad thing living under our bridge. With our OCD tendencies (CDO if you put the letters in alphabetical order like they're supposed to be), it would be nice and clean under there, and we'd only pull healthy food from the dumpsters.

I must have really hurt my hip flexor (?); maybe weights on Monday or tennis yesterday or a combination of both. It hurts when I cross my legs or do steps. I'm pretty frustrated; if I give myself any excuses, I'll fall off the stupid wagon again, so I'm pushing through. Between that and my shoulder, I feel totally off my game. I'm too cold for an ice pack, so I'm going to put some heat on them and see if that helps.

Mern, Mern, wherefore art thou? Hope you enjoyed yesterday's picnic
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

I started craving carbs again today. Not that I've been avoiding them, b/c I'm not, it just so happens that I haven't had bread in nearly 3 days. I can almost taste a blast right now. Wednesday is usually hard for me, for some reason. I'm guessing b/c I usually start off the weeks all gung ho and cut way back that it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm trying to stand firm b/c I know if I cave this early, it'll be a rough week. I can't drop 5 pounds with a rough week. Speaking of dropping pounds, Quinn, how can you complain about men dropping weight and you've dropped 2 pounds in 2 days?

Originally Posted by almeeker
Ugh. It's just raining and cold here, so far no white stuff. BTW, the photo bucket has the snow at 2 of 2, so I flipped to 1 of 2 thinking my computer had rushed me. But those people aren't snow at all, the blond looks almost exactly like my neighbor lady.
Quinn, is that you in the 1st pic?

Cassie, I try not to go dumpster diving as much as possible.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-09-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
LOL... That's me!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Quinn, is that you in the 1st pic?
Yes, that's me... I should get rid of it. I forgot it was in there! LOL

Last edited by quinnesec; 11-09-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Couldn't report last night or I would have missed my last goal.

1. Keep calories between 1200-1300, weekend 1400-1500. 1405. 1294.
2. Drink 3 L of water. Yes, Yes
3. Exercise 3 times. No, Yes
4. Walk dog 3 times. No, No
5. Go to bed before midnight. Yes. Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.