Notices

Sugar Addiction Anyone?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default Sugar Addiction Anyone?

Hi There,
I was wondering if anyone out there has a sugar addiction? And if so, do you have any tips for overcoming it? I kicked it once, then one little, tiny, Halloween box of Smarties kicked it back into high gear. I know I need to kick in order to lose the weight, and I have been doing pretty good with it, but the cravings are just awful! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I know what you are talking about. i was doing great until my department was moved and reorganized. now i work with a bunch of differnent people and it is candy bowl central! i have a 6 pack of sugar free gum and i pack fruit and other snacks to take to work every day. it helps, but it really comes down to, for me, being concious of what i have in my hand and asking myself if i really need what i am about to eat.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

I have a sugar addiction too. When I am craving sweets I ask myself why, what feeling are I trying to achieve by eating something sweet? For me, it is almost just wanting to feel better or gain a small sense of comfort, which is what sugar and food give me. I try to be aware of this when I get the knee jerk reaction to eat when I am under stress, bored and lonely. Sugar makes me feel good, but only in the moment and then I have to eat more and more to get the same effect. What has worked for me is to not use sweets as a way to feel better and not to take that first bite.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

I am/was a sugar-aholic!! But just was diagnosed with a huge sugar intolerance so had to cut it out totally for health reasons - including honey. Talk about a bit of a challenge. But transitioning over to fruits was a starting point. Though there wasn't enough "sugar" in them for me at first.

Before I had to give up dairy/soy/gluten/sugar/eggs I would eat sugar free/fat free icecream -- Edy's makes some amazing flavors; Also there are the most amazing sugar free chocolate fudgesickel sticks in the freezer island (kids icecream)...that curb the chocolate/sugar and they are only 30 calories. Also chocolate covered pretzels....homemade. The salt craving started negating the sugar

Then I hit the jackpot -- was in Trader Joe's grocery store and they have freeze dried strawberries (natural, nothing added). Sounded awful to me, but they were sampling.

These are the MOST amazing things I've ever eatten....far sweeter than any piece of candy I've ever craved. They actually are the ripest real strawberries I've ever tasted. You feel guilty eatting them, because you could swear they are processed with sugar - - but they're NOT!!! Best of all an entire 16 oz. bag (which took me 3 days to eat) is only 120 calories.

They are soooo sweet, every time I was craving sugar in the first 4 days of having to give it up....I'd eat a handful. You really want to eat them one by one because they are soooo amazing!

Hang in there -- research shows that if you can give up a craving for 21 day your body will NO LONGER crave it!

debbie
Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Oh I am a sugarholic too. I had to just give it up and grit my teeth through the first week or so. After that the cravings became less. Now I just have to stay away totally. One little pinch of it and I am off on another binge. I treat it the same as I did quitting smoking. Even a tiny amount will trigger the cravings for me. I get my sweet fix through fruits now.

dhh Great tip on the strawberries. Will see if I can find some.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

WOW! Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I find it very difficult. I guess I am just used to eating lots of sweets (thank you Mother! )

We don't have Trader Joes here, but I will see what I can find. I am going to try fruit and cottage cheese to see if that curbs the yearnings!

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Hi There, I also am a sugar addict. I too find if I have any it starts the bad habits all over where I eat too much. One of the best ways I find to control it is to try not to let my body get to the point where it needs energy right away. If I do get to that point though, I try to eat a piece of cheese. I know it sounds strange, but cheese even in small quantities will give you that energy boost that your body is craving without starting the sugar cycle again. Good luck and don't give up!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Sugar addict here . I did what dhh8193 said and didn't have any artificial sweetener and it took around 2 months before the cravings finally went away. By that time even things like winter squash tasted sweet (I mean candy-sweet) to me. But it was torture both mentally and emotionally and as soon as I had the first sugary treat I couldn't stop at one and went right back into the sugar addiction.
This time I'm satisfying the cravings with artificially sweetened things, a carby thing with fat & protein (like fruit and cheese) or just fruit. It's more doable for the long haul. Going cold turkey was just too extreme for me and even though the physical addiction was gone, I still had the psychological part of it and would droll at the sight of cakes, doughnuts, etc. I wasn't happy about it. I don't feel deprived this way.
There's several books out about sugar addiction and I've tried many different things they suggested, but find that satisfying the craving with non-sugar items works the best for me.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

I've been fighting a sugar addiction for years. I win for a while and then I talk myself into a treat and I'm off and running again. This time I started using a journal and I try to write every day how I'm feeling, sad, happy, ill, well, whatever and the longer I've stayed away from sugar (it's been 7 weeks) the happier my moods have become. My energy is higher, I just feel more positive. Just writing it down, keeps me focused on the big picture and helps me stay strong when the the tv ad for Oreo cookies makes me want to go the store and eat the bag. I also have SF Jello and whip cream always in the fridge. I use Josephs low carb pita, I cut it in half, separate the 2 pieces and toast them a little and have 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on them with a cup of tea, aprox. 3 net carbs and it is very satisfying. The fiber helps control the cravings and the little bit of PB is just sweet enough. I hope this helps and stay strong, remember it will be easier tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

WOW! There are so many who are in the same boat as me! It is awful! I just want it so badly! Like someone said, cold turkey is very difficult, and I, too, would eat the entire "bag of Oreos" (which for me would be the entire tub of ice cream!) It is the cutting out sugar that is the hardest for me. The other stuff is not nearly so difficult. My dear mother thought that sugar was one of the food group, bless her, and now that I am an adult, I still crave it.

Good luck to all of us.