Notices

30 Pound Club?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

So despite the stress and sick kids, this morning the scale says 159.6. I'm sure my son sharing his germs with me has got something to do with it lol but I'll take it Sure is nice to see that 2nd number change.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Lizzy's in the 150's!

Congrats Lizzy!
I had that turn over of the 2nd number happen earlier this week - wow - it is indeed a great feeling! Since it wasn't an "official" weigh-in, I'll wait until next week (assuming everything maintains) to celebrate. BUT it was very motivating. I think that I had mentioned somewhere else that I am/was a scale-a-phobe, so this is something of a major achievment for me to use a scale and actually like what I see

7sisters, I too have a comfortable marriage (no kids), a productuve career that my appearance has little influence over, and a ton of hobbies and interests (luckily, many are active outdoorsy things) so being a little selfish and putting me first isn't easy. But I find the exercize is addictive and the 8 or 10 hours a week I can carve out for it don't really seem to affect anything other than being a little late to work from time to time. Plus it has lead to a great network of new friends, both virtual and personal. Happy Friday everyone!

Pam
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wishing You, Every Day, Strength

Hi Abbie, you are really in a challenging situation and I wish you all the strength and health possible! I know from friends that quitting smoking is an amazing journey from addiction and sickness to health and freedom. You are very brave and wise to hang in there and make it happen for yourself and everyone else in your life! I am getting a lot out of just the few posts I have participated in and love that my sisters out there are struggling like I am but have the fortitude to band together and help each other succeed. Yeah us!

Monterey, I bought myself a Tanita scale online in October. It has weight, body fat and total body water readings. I really like it but this morning I didn't appreciate the number. I am really glad that your message reminds me to not get discouraged. In the past week, I went from 156 down to 153.8 and then back up to 155. I ran a very steady 3.3 miles yesterday at the park with my husband and ate right on my target of 1450 yesterday so why the up number and not a happy down number? Having perspective that this is going to happen sometimes and not to get discouraged is critical to me. It would be easy for me to just go overboard today on the food in disgust and depression. However, I am thankful that you have given me the idea that that would be a bad response. I know I have had my weight change 5 lbs in one day even though I was doing everything right ... just based on a change in how my body was retaining water. I just have to cling to what I know is true.

Lizzycritter, great breakthrough! You're in a whole new range now! 150, next stop!

Heh Pam, you are very, very lucky to have the kind of schedule that allows significant hours for exercise. I'm in the same boat. I pretty much get to decide when I come in and when I leave but I also travel frequently for business and work late or come in early if needed so it does balance out in the end. Friends, of course, are priceless in any format!!

Keep the faith y'all.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Let the Games Begin!

Welcome Lisa,

I imagine we'll both do lots of sharing of stories here. I really appreciate your words as I gained 125 lbs in 4 years from my sophmore year in high school to my sophmore year in college.

The math is easy: Consume less calories than you expend. The doing it is what we consider hard.

I read a quote recently:

We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.

(Edward Gibbon as quoted in Sophia's Fire, 2005, Sango Mbella, p. 100)

That pretty much sums it up.

You are blessed with a person who cares about you, now it's your turn to show yourself how much you really care.

Much, Much Luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi there

Great job everyone! I am so proud of how well you are all doing! Welcome, Lisa, it's nice having you. My name is Lisa too, so I like ya already..ha!

I'm sorry I have been away over the last few days, I had a pity party. Yep, a pity party. Friday I weighed in and GAINED 2 pounds! I was so frustrated that I chose the immature way to go and just ate whatever I wanted because I felt like, "what does it matter when I worked so hard during the week". Looking back, that was the wrong choice and I hopped back on the horse and straightened out starting Saturday. Which brings me to my question: do you guys have 1 "cheat" day a week or do you stick with your diet throughout? Looking back, when I was successful, I had a cheat day. Maybe I've been focusing too much on keeping my calories low and not eating anything bad....hmm...

I wanted to say that I could completely get what you said, Lisa, about your image of yourself and the "reality". I, too, had a similar experience...I've had this picture in my head of how I was when I was 140, the clothes I could wear, etc. The other day, my husband and I had gone out for our anniversary dinner and the place we ate at took a picture of us. I looked at it and thought, "yeah...that doesn't match how I view myself", however, it's the reality. Ugh.

I read 7sisters quote and I loved it! I'm going to keep that in mind everytime I feel down about not losing weight.

On a good note, I ran for the first time in almost 3 months the other day!! Yep, granted, it was only 1 mile, but I did it with no pain! Tonight I'm going to walk 1 mile, run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, run 1 mile and cool down.

I noticed some of you put your name and location, so here's mine: Lisa, 33, Chicago. I'm 5'7 and currently at 160.

Do you think we should have a weekly weigh in post? Something that would hold us accountable to acheiving our weight loss goals? If you don't want to post, that's ok too. Let me know what you all think!

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by Runnerchi; 03-16-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default I Can Taste Anything!

I'm a Lisa too! It's my middle name.

Runnerchi - so glad you didn't let your pity party last too long. You are the fearless leader after all! I have a sign on my computer screen at work: I CAN TASTE ANYTHING. I've decided this is my new mantra. When I want to eat something that is high calorie, I just get a small taste of it ... a spoonful, forkful or small handful and that seems to really take care of the craving for flavors. I don't know if others have had this experience but eating all of something often isn't satisfying anyway. It just unleashes the hungry ghost, the bottomless pit, the endless need. Obviously, from earlier posts, the tasting thing can get out of hand but it really takes the pressure away from feeling like I am depriving myself.

Good for you on the running too! That alternating is how I always start to run again after being away for a while. As time goes on, I end up running more and more.

I truly look forward to checking in with our little group.

Karma, 46, Pittsburgh, 5'4", Started 3-6-10 @ 158 - Now @ 152.

Last edited by 7sisters; 03-16-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi all of the Lisa's and everyone else

Congrats Chicago Lisa for finally healing enough to run. (Just don't over do it - ya hear!). You know... sometimes we all deserve a pity party! If nothing else just to keep in touch with all of our emotions - even the uncomfortable ones. So great job getting through and back on the horse that threw you.

In answer to your cheat day question, I find I just have to stay on the straight and narrow. If I set aside a day to eat more or less what I want, I find I just fixate on that day and little else. Then 1 day becomes 2, and 2 becomes 3, etc. Not unlike our discussion in the alcohol and food thread. That doesn't mean that I haven't fallen off the wagon a time or 2. I know other folks who are really disciplined about their cheat day, I envy them.

For me, rather than I cheat day I have a specific duration for the reduced calorie diet - 12 weeks. The goal is 30 pounds and I think I will be pretty close. As long as I am close I will be very pleased. Knowing that the very restrictive diet phase has an end before I will go into a maintance phase is what has helped me. The light at the end of the tunnel - although I have to say this tunnel hasn't been too bad at all. After 4 weeks of maintenance at only slight calorie restrictions, I'll reevaluate and decide what to do next.

A weigh in would be great. At the moment my official weight comes from the doctor's office every 2 weeks (tomorrow as a matter of fact ), which will be ending in early April. After that, a weekly accountability check would really helpful.

Pam
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hi All

Well has been a while since I posted had a bad couple of weeks but am back on the horse and have refound my motivation.

Runnerchi: With regards to cheat days I for one have found to my detriment that they dont work for me as I quickly lose the plot and find that 1 day becomes 2 weeks of cheat days, However if it works for you then go for it, I guess that it may also work to your advantage if you believe in the zigzaging of calories I often here referred to in the forums.

PitcherLisa and Runnerchi I totally get where your coming from with regards to the difference in perceived body image and reality, you think that you look good and then you see a photo and you realise that you have just been kidding yourself.

I would love to have a weekly weigh in as I see some of the others do on these forums so lets pick a day and get started.

Good luck to everyone on the scales for your next weigh in.

Kayla
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome back Kayla

I am sorry to read that you got a little tripped up, but I am so happy to see that you are back. I hope that by "bad" you are only referring to some missteps in food choices, and that you haven't had a serious life event that caused it.

Which one of us said: Fall down 7 times, get up 8?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

Make room for me, I'm joining!!
I'm 16, I'm about 5'7" and at the beginning I weighed 170 lbs. I now weigh I think 160...at least that is what the scale says, but I am quite wary of that and like to say 163. The scale is old and I don't know if itis accurate so that is why, plus I relatively see no difference in my body. I've been dieting for 9 weeks to get here :/ Only like a pound a week!!
I eat 1360 cals a day (Sometimes a little over grr) and excercise doing the couch to 5K program. which is almost over for me.

I want to be 135 at least. I don't use Fitday to keep track of all my foods and activities because I'm too lazy and all the foods have different calorie values than what it says on the package so I have to "customize" them all.
My goal is to be 155 by the end of May (with how slow I am going)...any tips to push this diet along?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.