Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread for 4/18/11

Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

lol, Mern, we were just talking about Philly. My son said he might like to go there when we visit our family in MD this summer. Hubs and I immediately started naming all the historical sites and the kid says, "Well, really I just want a cheesesteak. And maybe a Phillies game." Fall will be an amazing time to go; hope you enjoy it
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, I think if you did P90X you would LIVE, you just wouldn't want to for a few days LOL.
I've made lasagna with spinach and sliced zucchini, but I've not tried cabbage before, sound interesting. Usually I do an Italian veggie bake when I'm jonesing for lasagna. Basically it's the same recipe my mom uses for the sauce (ground beef or chicken with tomato paste, garlic and oregano) and cheese (ff cottage or ricotta cheese with an egg, grated parm and basil) layered with fresh sliced veggies (mushrooms, shredded carrots, tomatoes, onions, etc etc) and part skim mozzarella cheese. I've also been known to be really sneaky and make it with a few whole wheat noodles, lots of veg and then pass it off as "the usual". I took it like that to a sports banquet and while a friend of mine complained that her son wouldn't touch veggies with a long stick, I pointed to him and said "really, cause he's eating them right now".

Hey Mike, maybe you need to approach your company about reducing it's health insurance premiums. Maybe they need to put in a gym or pay for part of a gym membership (DH's company pays $150-$200/annually) and in turn get a break on their health insurance? The other thing you might try is to volunteer at the gym in trade for a membership. Maybe you can paint the walls or work a shift that's hard to fill. I dunno. I used to work with a client group that ran a hospital, and when people couldn't pay the fees for their medical care the hospital took services in trade. Believe me it was the cleanest, most beautiful hospital you've ever been to and the candy stripe staff was top of the line. In my line of work "play for pay" is pretty common, in the past I've negotiated for rounds of golf, rent, daycare, massage therapy, dance lessons, dental work, etc etc. There is almost always a way to make things happen for the better. If not the gym then maybe you can hit the train station and do a Rocky workout?

Cassie, I'm jealous as all get out that you are getting a weekend away with the DH. We did that over our 10th wedding anniversary and it was like being newlyweds all over again. I could use me some of that. Have fun. The LC cheese wedges really work for me, they have a texture similar to Velveeta and I think that is why they are helpful, because they stick in your throat for a few minutes? I don't really know, it might also be that the 35 calories are very balanced so it soothes the carb crave and gives you a little protein and fat, so it sticks with you longer. I just wish they had a sweet version, like cheese cake, because sometimes when I'm in that sort of mood I want something sweet. I've been using the Swiss ones as cream cheese lately, very nice.

Quin, I never have had that "too busy to eat" problem, in my world there is always time to eat. Maybe you can bottle some of that up and send it to me?

Terri, in terms of a cheat that one wasn't too bad really, I've had cheats that were more than your daily total, and that was just the "cheat" part not the rest of the day. Good for you not stressing over it too much. You're probably right about the economy, but you would think at least a few companies would say "we better treat our customers well or we'll be out of business", especially in the medical fields since a lot of people don't even have insurance anymore and have to pay out of pocket. But seriously I've been treated worse by the medical field than any other. The stories I could tell on that... And we have insurance, it's crazy. I had one doctor send at least 3 nasty letters after they made a few rude phone calls, and then threaten to turn our names into CPS because we never made a follow-up appointment. I didn't make the follow up because they were extremely rude and we decided to take our daughter somewhere else for care. I know my rights, getting my DD good medical care is not optional, however there are plenty of doctors to choose from. The nerve of some people.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-19-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mern: Thanks I just don't think of myself that way, but it's good to know that I can be! I'm the same way, I'm always looking at signatures and glancing over reports even if I say nothing (I worry about gabbing too much!). My lunch was pretty delicious, and I've been drinking a ton, already feel a little bit better. Gotta hate that water weight gain - though I know that a year ago, I would have been clueless and said "OH NO I GAINED A POUND!" but I know now that it's just sodium, and I totally didn't eat enough yesterday to have put on a pound, and that's way better for my mental health, haha. Some days are just carby days... I blame the fries for starting it, though it's really hard to turn down something that someone else bought for me out of kindness.

almeeker: You're right, it wasn't too bad, it was just surprising - I had felt on a roll, no cravings for weeks! And then they snuck right up on me. I was probably saved by the fact that there's not too terribly much to nosh on in the house that doesn't require cooking right now, and I didn't want to put in the effort - I only had a couple of handfuls of tortilla chips, for example, because it was the bottom of the bag

And ugh, don't get me started on the medical field and how broken the whole system is It's terrible that they think treating you like crap is their due, or that you MUST follow-up or you MUST get every little thing taken care of. I've thrown who knows how much money away on stupid, unneccesary procedures and appointments - for instance, FORCING you to make an appointment to come in and get news that you're okay? There's my $50 co-pay stolen right out of my pocket, because the doc refuses to tell me on the phone. Highway robbery. You're right, it's complete and total NERVE. And I know $50 is nothing, but it just goes to show that the idea of treating your customers/patients well is a generally foreign concept. Whatever the reason, it's wrong.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Everyone,
I've enjoyed catching up on all of your posts. Passover started last night so I drove up to Boston to have a seder at my sister's house, then slept over and drove back early this AM for an 8AM class and exam. I'm completely exhausted now but I am planning on checking a few more things off of my checklist before hitting the gym.

They are interviewing perspective professors for a wetland ecologist job opening here. The talks are awesome to listen to and are followed up by free pizza for the grad students to interact 1 on 1 w/ the person they are interviewing. It's pretty awesome, I love getting to have lunch with interesting people, however I am eating so much pizza. In the past 7 days I have eaten 11 pieces of pizza. I haven't weighed myself in a week.

Salad for dinner tonight, plus running a 5k for fun.

Mike, I don't know if your gym offers financial assistance, but the YMCA does. Maybe there is one near you? I submit my pay stubs and they let you know if you qualify for assistance. It hurts the pride a tad to apply but I get over that in about 5 seconds as I'm super grateful for their help.

Time for me to start reading and hopefully my eyes will stay open.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Just got done with all of my errands... ughh... I'm beat. Husband just called and said that he has a business dinner meeting. Thank goodness. I'm off the hook for cooking tonight.

As far as being too busy to eat, my 85 y/o mother made me eat bread today (bread???) out of the grocery bag so that "I wouldn't pass out..." from skipping a meal. I just love how she thinks sometimes. I remember her telling me that when I was in high school... that I would pass out if I didn't eat her lumberjack sized breakfasts. So, I dutifully sat in the car, eating bread like a 5y/o. Good grief. Someday, I'm hoping she sees me as someone over 12. That's what I get for being the baby of the family, I guess.

Well, the winter storm warning has just been issued. (Winter? I thought it was spring?) It looks like I'm hunkered down for at least the next 24 hours.
A fireplace, a glass of red wine, no evening meal to prepare... yep- I'm one happy camper.

Oh, by the way, Charleston is my favorite city in the states. Lots of great memories there. Dining is incredible! The black cats in the cemetery were pretty cute, too. lol

Last edited by quinnesec; 04-19-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, thanks. You always have something nice to say.

almeeker, I think that every company should offer "healthy lifesytle discounts" on their health insurance. Sadly, my company doesn't offer that, but it does offer free diet counseling.

Julia, I just looked online and the closest YMCA is 30 miles away. When you're broke, you have no time to worry about pride. I did make a small sale (auto policy) the other day, and will be closing a home and auto this week. I even gave Uncle Sam a small payment too.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Hey everyone~just did a quick check in, sorry about the winter storm warning, at least in my neck of the woods looking like only one to two inches which is of course too much...(would love that glass of red wine though) I have to tell you all at the curves location I go to, they have this collapsable silicone steamer that I got thought it would be great at work for some veggies, well just tried it out on some chkn breast and dang they were very good. I put two breast in there for about 6.5 mins and they were juicy and tender. I will be doing that a lot more often, definetley beats reheating and over cooking til they are dry. If only I could have made that lasagna dish you keep talking about in there! Well I better get back to work, have a wonderful evening.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Tuesday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week M: -924 T: -654 (Week Total: -1578)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Roughly 30 minutes weights, 15 minutes non-HIIT cardio (stationary bike) T: Day off
3) Achieve a 30% protein average for the week M: 20% T: 32% (Weekly average: 26%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 53% T: 37% (Weekly average: 45%)
5) Protein powder after every workout in a smoothie M: No T: N/A
6) At least 96 oz. water daily M: Yes T: yes
7) Report here each and every day - that includes weekends! M: Yes (following morning) T: yes

Other Life Stuff:
1) Easter cards out by Wednesday!!!!! M: No T: No
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Minimal... T: Yes, but no makeup
3) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours M: No T: No
4) Don't worry, be happy! M: Yes T: Yes

Only have a moment to check in, but I wanted to be accountable! Pretty good day, though BF decided to make me a mini-milkshake for dessert and I didn't have the strength to say no. Amazing that 300 calories go in a glass... Will catch up tomorrow!

~Terri
Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Tired, and I still have to dictate half a report. Checking in quickly:

1. Maintain at least a 250 cal. deficit to get the last 1 1/2 pounds off. Again. 258, but it wasn't easy! 247 (on average, I'm still ok!)
2. Weights three times this week instead of two. One down
3. Sleep 7 hours (at least). I keep trying to go 7/7 on this one. Yes, Yes
4. Balance the pie chart. Yes (fair), Yes
5. Drink 2-3 sports bottles of water daily. Yes, Yes
6. Pay attention to posture (I'm a slacker on this). A bit, No-forgot

7. Put annuals in front flower beds by end of weekend. Not yet
8. Re-do Spring Break at-home pedicure...bright turquoise is not tremendously professional at my age. Done
9. Plan Easter basket with a balance between healthy and treats. Vague thoughts in this directin
10. Try two new recipes this week. Yes- Stir-fry shrimp and walnuts; it was really good, new applesauce recipe, but not counting it since it was just a side dish
11. Plan mini-trip. Again, more thoughts in this direction. I looked up restaurants, lol!

Hope everyone did well today!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
FitDay Member

Tuesday Report Card

1. Eat clean and kept calories 1,350-1,600, 50 push-ups for days I'm over. 1,538 1,892 50 push-ups
2. Drink 96 oz of water. Y, Y
3. Exercise 6 hours. 60 min, 62 min (total 2:02)
4. Calorie deficit of 3,500 for the week. -934, -689
5. Carbs 45% or lower, Protein 30% or higher. (53c/25p), (51c/24p)
6. Log food and report every day even weekends. Y, Y

Non-Fitness Goals:

7. Get DD practicing for State finals (with or without nagging). Y, Y
8. Sign up for Summerfest Race. No, just found out I'll be at a family wedding that day, so it's a complete no go.
9. Call the autobody place and set up appointment. N, N
10. Call the eye doctor and read her the riot act. Y
11. Smile more, bitch less and (stealing from Crimpet) 10 push-ups for infractions. 20 push-ups, YES
12. Clean out pantry area in basement. Some, NO
13. Order more parts for elliptical (I'm starting to call that thing "the money pit"). N, N
14. Housework:
Monday bathrooms, laundry
Tuesday kitchen, stairwell, hall, laundry
Wednesday living room, bedroom laundry
Thursday dining room, bedroom, laundry
Friday den, master bedroom, laundry
Saturday, closet, porch, laundry
Sunday, basement, cupboard, laundry

Yesterday was nuts, it started at 4:40am with "Bob sweatin' with his UPS hotties" and ended at 8:45pm when I got home from chior practice, between the two I don't believe I sat for anything longer than it takes to go to the johnny. Ugh being a babysittin'/Brownie Leadin'/singing soccer mom is brutal business. And so it goes when I'm nuts busy like that, I have trouble with the calorie budget, ugh. Although yesterday I knew the exact moment the diet flew out the window, I caved in and had Girl Scout cookies at the meeting, and 1 lead to 8, and so I ended the day almost exactly 8 GS cookies over budget. I'm so very weak sometimes. It's the smell of those mint cookies that kills me, thank goodness there were a few other moms standing there helping me eat them or it would have been ever so much worse.

Terri, I'm so jealous of the fact that you've gone weeks without cravings. I'm not sure I've gone longer than 6-7 hours without cravings (maybe a little longer than that on the days when I get to sleep in LOL). I'm wracked with cravings all day long, and sometimes they are nearly as bad as when I was pregnant or worse yet nursing. You're correct the medical system is broken, of course I think the legal and insurance professions have some blame in that arena (sorry Mike). It pays to know your rights. I left the hospital exactly 24 hours after our youngest 2 were born, and actually had hospital staff trying to restrain me. I was fine, completely fine, but if I had stayed 25 hours they would have gotten to charge me for an additional day (I didn't leave to save money, I left so I could go home and get some rest). So I looked them right in the eye and said that I had every right to leave that building AMA (against medical advice) and threatened to sue for assault and battery if they didn't let go. They let go.

Mike it sounds like things are picking up at least a little. Good luck, being strapped for cash is always really stressful, believe me I know all about that. We live very very carefully on one income.

Sounds like everyone is having a nutty/busy week, except quinn who is sitting fireside with a glass of wine. I'm jealous, even if I got myself a glass of wine and took a little break from the children by hog tying all the kids down in the basement, there is no fireplace. I'm sort of cracking up over the grandmother incident, she sounds a bit like mine who is a retired cook, she used to make 10,000 cookies a day at the local public school district. If you need to put on weight, she's your ticket, good for 2lbs/day minimum.

blackrhino, maybe you're going to have to change your screen name to "pizzarhino"? I've had trouble like that with kid functions, pizza pizza pizza, and the only way to fix it is to volunteer to organize them. But that's not easy either, because then you're left with all the people screaming "where's the pizza?". I'm so sorry. There used to be a poster named skinnyerin, and she used to eat just the toppings and skip the crust, if that helps.

Cassie good luck planning your trip, maybe you could search "sightseeing" and look for a walking tour?

Last edited by almeeker; 04-20-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.