FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Restart: 5-15lb club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3786-restart-5-15lb-club.html)

RunbikeSki 03-23-2011 11:00 AM

Restart: 5-15lb club

Hi Ladies,

I hope no one thinks this is presumptive but after 1729 posts and over 64,000 views in the orginal thread, several people have suggested that maybe it was time to begin again.

So why the heck is it so hard to lose those last few pounds? Got any tips to share? Or maybe just want to vent on the unfairness of the universe being so close to your "ideal" weight, and yet so far away. This is your spot.

Pam

Juliet## 03-23-2011 12:22 PM

Hey, I'm in!

And thanks for setting up this new thread -- it is difficult to wade through all the old posts -- nice to get a fresh start.

OK, there are simple scientific answers as to why it is hard to shed those last few pounds.

Here's what i think:

(#1) In general, it takes a lot more calories to keep a larger body mass operating - breathing, replacing old cells, moving, etc. As you get smaller, it takes fewer calories.

Think about it...it takes a lot more fuel to drive a big heavy car a certain distance than it does for a small compact economy car - right? And a large adult needs more calories than a 3 year old kid - right?

(#2) Ok, then there is the "motivational" reason ... when you were heavier, you'd do anything to get thinner. Now that you are "thinner" and everyone tells you how great you look -- you can see in photographs that you look better -- and you've been SOOOO GOOD for SOOO LONG -- it's easy to not be as careful. Whereas several pounds ago you'd be very strict with yourself, now - not so strict, sometimes!

Anyway, that's my two sense worth!

Any other ideas?

RunbikeSki 03-24-2011 04:56 AM

Hey Juliet,
I think you are on to something with the second item! It's kind of a weird mind game where, yes I'd really like to lose those last few pounds, but hey I'm lookin' pretty good now so do I really want to work that hard?

And yes it seems so totally unfair to me that the smaller you get, the less you get to eat! :mad:

AceofCurls 03-24-2011 08:00 PM

I'm waiting for the 'I'm skinnier so I shouldn't have to feel like I should eat a lot,' but all I want are carbs. I do like the way I feel and look, but god these last 15 pounds are hard work!

Unfortunately food has gotten kind of boring for me, so I feel that it is even harder for me to not go out and eat or not buy that candy bar (which I did last night), which just brings me down.

canary52 03-24-2011 08:07 PM

It seems like I've had the same fifteen or twenty pounds I've been fighting for years. I want to lose fifteen pounds. How do I win this time?

Ace of Curls, I feel your pain. I get bored with the same foods quickly. I was "good" for a while then yesterday I ate pizza chocolate and just too much in general. Now I have a huge tummy ache (and a huge tummy.) I should know better by now.

Height: 5'5"
Current weight: 140
Goal: 125

nottango 03-24-2011 11:41 PM

These last 10 or so pounds are really attached to me. I think it's because they've been a part of my life for so many years.

anderson02 03-25-2011 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 41078)
It seems like I've had the same fifteen or twenty pounds I've been fighting for years. I want to lose fifteen pounds. How do I win this time?

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 41089)
These last 10 or so pounds are really attached to me. I think it's because they've been a part of my life for so many years.

I can relate to both of those statements! :o I am struggling to lose weight as well but frustrated because it's the same pounds! I lose it and then gain it back. I can't seem to stick to calorie counting for that reason - It's not something that I could maintain long term so I would eventually gain back the weight unless I find another tactic. I am trying to learn to eat better and less in general but the lack of progress makes me start counting and cutting calories to what appears to be an unrealistic amount for me so I don't stick with it long. Basically I am throwing a fit after a pair of jeans or whatever doesn't fit. :mad: Yep, I am a mess. :p

canary52 03-25-2011 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by anderson02 (Post 41102)
I can relate to both of those statements! :o I am struggling to lose weight as well but frustrated because it's the same pounds! I lose it and then gain it back. I can't seem to stick to calorie counting for that reason - It's not something that I could maintain long term so I would eventually gain back the weight unless I find another tactic. I am trying to learn to eat better and less in general but the lack of progress makes me start counting and cutting calories to what appears to be an unrealistic amount for me so I don't stick with it long. Basically I am throwing a fit after a pair of jeans or whatever doesn't fit. :mad: Yep, I am a mess. :p

You just described my situation perfectly. I start calorie counting but can't stick to it. Same thing with diets.

And while I may not throw a fit when the jeans don't fit, I definitely throw the jeans into a big pile with all the other stuff that's too tight. And since I don't want to go out and buy clothes in the bigger size, I resort to my bigger, older stuff which makes me feel dowdy.

We are not a mess. We are human. And we will figure this out, right?

lastri 03-25-2011 06:07 AM

Yeah, it's hard. I thought I finally manage to break the plateu but it keep bumping up and down around it. Am I have another plateu? Not really.
I need to do more work out and control eating. But it is so hard. I love to eat out, but they contain so much of the bad stuff and I don't have the willpower to controll myself.
So sad.
Mai

RunbikeSki 03-25-2011 06:34 AM

Hi all,
Well today is our 25th anniversary so I'm going to cut myself a break. DH has been soooo complimentary recently ("half the girl I married" type thing that just makes me glow :p) that I almost feel guilty telling him that next week it is back to the stricter food routine.

I have 5 weeks to go until my 1 year anniversary of reaching my 30lb lost goal (140lb). I have lost almost 10 more since then, and am aiming for 125lbs, ultimately.

I would LOVE to bethere by the 1yr. But as we all know how tenacious those last lingering pounds are!

I keep meaning to put my stats in my signature like so many of you do, but I'm waiting for just the right photo/avatar :rolleyes:.

Pam

anderson02 03-25-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 41149)
I love to eat out, but they contain so much of the bad stuff and I don't have the willpower to controll myself.
So sad.
Mai

Hi Mai, we don't get to go out to eat that much that it really feels like a treat so I feel like if I get to go, and am spending the $$, that I want to enjoy my meal. That means eating the yummy, and not so healthy, stuff.

anderson02 03-25-2011 07:19 AM

Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones

Have any of you tried Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones? If so, what did you think? I have done it twice now. I am able to complete the entire workout although my form fades on some moves towards the end. Not to the point of causing injury but my straight over the head arms get lower and lower towards the end :p I have read a lot of reviews where people cannot get through the workout or are super sore afterwards. I am moderately sore. It felt like a good workout at the time but time will tell.

I did the 30 Day Shred for just over 20 days until my knees couldn't take any more. This one doesn't have the high impact jumping moves so I think it will be better for me.

canary52 03-25-2011 10:15 AM

That's another thing that stalls my weight loss. I have health issues that prevent me from working out at any kind of challenging level. What other people might call a warm up can land me in bed for three days afterwards. I'm hoping that now that the weather will warm up I can go do some moderate walks, even have to be careful with those.

I wish I could do the Shred or No More Trouble Zones! But half the time I feel like someone already put me through the shredder!!!! But I have to count my blessings for what I can do, right?

As far as eating out, danger Will Robinson for me. And my father-in-law is coming this weekend and he ONLY likes to eat out. Oh the sacrifices we make...LOL

outdrsgrl05 03-25-2011 06:58 PM

Hello again everyone. .

Yes, this makes for much easier posting :) . I can relate to what some people are saying about it seems like you've been trying to lose the same amount of weight forever. I have the Jillian Michaels cds. .I tried them out for some time, but I found something else that seems to be working. I bought the Women's Health Big Book of exercises. It's a well organized book that even has 14 workout programs you follow. . I've been doing the "Skinny Jeans" workout for a week, and it really feels like it's working. (I've lost 2 pounds so far) I'm actually really motivated once again to work out because of this. I want to see what's in store at the gym. Reading a couple of the book reviews, some posters said they were able to lose 20 lbs in three months using some of the programs listed in the book. So, between this website, and that book, I'd like to see what happens in a month, and then obviously four months.

RunbikeSki 03-26-2011 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 41190)
That's another thing that stalls my weight loss. I have health issues that prevent me from working out at any kind of challenging level. What other people might call a warm up can land me in bed for three days afterwards. I'm hoping that now that the weather will warm up I can go do some moderate walks, even have to be careful with those.

I wish I could do the Shred or No More Trouble Zones! But half the time I feel like someone already put me through the shredder!!!! But I have to count my blessings for what I can do, right?

As far as eating out, danger Will Robinson for me. And my father-in-law is coming this weekend and he ONLY likes to eat out. Oh the sacrifices we make...LOL

Good luck with the FIL, Canary! I hope that if he insists on eating out he is at least footing the bill. Boy, I wish I could send you a magic pill to help with your health issues. It must be very frustrating to not be able to do the things you both need and want to do. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Welcome back outdrsgrl, WOW good work girl! keep it up. You'll be in the bikini before you know it. (Don't know it that is really a goal for you - I'm a bit old for a bikini myself, but I do dream about it sometimes.)

Pam

lastri 03-26-2011 03:22 PM

Pam, Happy aniversary!! 25 years aniversary won’t come around twice. So Enjoy it.
Anderson02, I couldn’t do the 30 shred. Seem very hard for me. I don’t really mind about the high impact but the push up and burpbee, plank just killing my upper body.
Canary 52, It’s hard that you have a limited of what you can do physically. I am thinking of you. I hope the weather getting better so you can walk, walking is nice, I like to walk sometimes.
Bikini, Yeah, I am working toward that bikini body. Actually, I never had bikini before, it might have felt too cold for me to wear it even in 110 degree. But I want to try this Jun, 120 pound will do, 115 will be better (10-15 pound). Gosh, It’s hard.
Mai

Juliet## 03-26-2011 11:21 PM

Ladies,

I know that we are checking our "Weight" -- but are we checking our "Waist Measurements" also?

From personal experience, I have noticed that when I am down around the so-called "ideal" weight, it is hard to tell -- just by the scale -- whether I am making progress or not...

But the TAPE MEASURER never lies.

A good suggestion is to continue monitoring the scale weight -- yes, that is important -- but perhaps more important is to watch BODY FAT composition -- and the most accurate way to monitor BODY FAT composition cheaply at home is to check and record your "umbilical" waist measurement.

Umbilical Waist = around the navel. So, this is not your narrowest waist measurement, but instead, it is the measurement right taken around the navel -- this is your widest waist measurment.

Years ago, I had gotten way out of shape -- but it looked on the scale as if I had only gained 4 or 5 lbs or so... but NONE of my clothes fit. Why was this after only a small weight gain, I wondered.

Well, what had acutally happened was that I had quit exercising regularly over a few years and I had slowly lost muscle mass (about 4 lbs of muscle) and at the same time gained 9 lbs of fat.

So while on the scale it looked like I had gained only 5 lbs, in reality, I had gained 9 lbs of FAT and lost 4 lbs of MUSCLE. But the SCALE only showed a net gain of 5 lbs.

In reality, I was much FATTER than I thought I was, judging from the SCALE.

Frustrated, I sought help from a trainer. He had me not only doing cardio, but a lot of strength training (free weights, machines, resistance bands, etc.) and over a 2 year period, I slowly gained back muscle. I gained back about 5 lbs of muscle and lost about 10 lbs of fat and got to look really really lean.

But the SCALE only showed a loss of about 4 or 5 pounds.

So I was making a lot of progress -- but the SCALE didn't show the change in body composition.

However -- throughout this time, I monitored my waist measurement and the TAPE MEASURER showed a loss of 4 or 5 inches, during this time! My whole body got a lot leaner. I never got "big" muscles, but the definition and tone was fantastic and I was able to fit into much smaller sizes of clothing -- much smaller size jeans!

At the same time, throughout this period of time, I had my BODYFAT measured "hydrostatically" -- underwater by a professional health systems company. That's how I knew for sure that I was "adding" denser heavier muscle - and not just kidding myself.

What REALLY told the tale was the BODYFAT change. And during this time my WAIST MEASUREMENT showed a dramatic change, too!

So what I am trying to say, is that if the scale doesn't budge but you are exercising intensely you may be making a lot of slow progress by gaining some muscle and getting slimmer -- but the results may not show up on the scale.

That is why you should always check your Waist Measurement. It may explain why you don't see much of a weight loss on the SCALE.

So if my waist measurement goes down and I am exercising hard -- I don't mind if I don't see a big change on the SCALE.

Make sense?

anderson02 03-28-2011 02:19 AM

Hi Juliet,

I thought about getting a scale to measure BF%. I am doing more strength training than before so wonder if my BF% is changing even though the numbers on the scale area not.

Hi everyone else,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I had a few more beers and less than healthy food than I should have but this is a new week. I keep saying if I could get through one or two weekends I would show progress but that's my weak area. :o

lastri 03-28-2011 04:54 AM

I didn't do any work out last week at all. Though I track my food very strictly. The weekend, I didn't go crazy either. I lost 0.8 pound this morning. so I am happy about that.
Another good news, I went to costco and bought a pair of Jeans (calvin Klein, $25.99), and size 4 fit me just right. So I am very excited.
I plan to work out at least 30 minutes everyday this week. I have only 10 weeks to lose 13.2 pounds.

Starting weight: 142
Current weight: 128.2
Goal (Jun 4): 115

RunbikeSki 03-28-2011 05:33 AM

Wow, Mai! congrats on the size 4 jeans!

I can totally relate. I have never been a size 4 in my adult life, but now that I am, I have to stop myself from buying clothes just because the label says "petite 4" :p.

Juliet - great suggestions on the belly botton belly measurement...OK officially: Umbilical Waist . I think the whole "ideal weight" thing is why some of us are in the predicament we are as older women. I was never at what was considered an "ideal weight" in my teens, yet I was quite fit, and when I see photos of myself, perfectly proportioned. I am a pretty average built for 5'4", but I have always been well muscled. Since I could never seem to get down to 115 or so that seemed to be correct for my height, I gave up after a while. It would have been so much better if I had be aware of a better metric, more appropriate to my build.

Happy Monday all, let it be the best week yet!

Pam

canary52 03-28-2011 05:41 AM

Happy anniversary Pam!! 25 years, man you're like me: a long termer. I joke that it's like a life sentence with me and DH (28 years- yikes!) Mai size 4!! Rock and roll!!! I won't say I envy you so just pardon me while I go kick the wall a bit. I am squeeeeeeeezing into size 10s. As DD would say jealous much?

And thanks to you both for the good thoughts for me re my fibro issues. I love working out but lately, I can barely get out of bed. This too shall pass.

Juliet you are absolutely right about weight v. measurements. Exercise will make you tighter, help build muscle and make your clothing fit better (see above re size.) I know that since my knee issues kept me immobile, I have lost muscle tone in my legs bigtime. So even though my legs are skinny, they are not in shape. Let's not even discuss the rest of me. No bikinis for me!!!

And yes my FIL did pay. Are you kidding? You have to wrestle him to the ground to get the check outta his hands. And for an 83 year old he's pretty feisty!!!

I did try not to overeat when we ate out. Hit the bread basket a bit too hard but all in all not terrible. Do any of you find restricting eating out helps?

Hope you all are doing well. Thanks so much for your support. Having fibro makes me sad and frustrated sometimes so it helps to have such a supportive community. I'm trying not to give up. It's a challenge. It helps to have caring people.

RunbikeSki 03-28-2011 12:02 PM

Thanks Canary, yup me and hubby seem to be in it for the long haul. I hope your "life sentance" is still fun and rewarding - mine certainly is.

When I eat out, I do try to restrict my intake, but I usually accept the fact that I will eat more than "normal". I will often try to go for something I never eat at home, either because it is a challenge to cook or DH doesn't like it (curry falls into this category).

I have asked, on several occasions, that the bread basket be removed from the table, however. Or at least placed as far away from me as possible :rolleyes:. It is so easy to start with a little nibble and end up with 2 or 3 lovely rolls + butter meadering through my digetive system.

Glad you survived it well!

Pam

canary52 03-28-2011 01:04 PM

Oh I adore the DH. He's my best friend. I know corny but what can I say?

Yeah I should tell them to take the bread out of the restaurant period. If there is a carb on the premises, I will seek it out. Altho I'm not so big on pasta anymore. And satisfied with less sweets. I also try to have them pack away half my meal when I eat out. Good for diet and wallet.

So, everyone, ideas on losing these last pounds?

lastri 03-29-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 41587)
So, everyone, ideas on losing these last pounds?

Packing half of you meal is a good idea.

I recently ask the waiter to subtitue my carb for steam vegi.
I try to search the nutrition data (if I know the restaurant I am going to), but most of the time the this fit my diet is not what I want. I advoid to go to place like The cheese cake factory, Red lobster, .... most of their dishes is close than 2000 cals.

4 -6 weeks ago, I was kind of stuck on my plateu. I do atkin (induction) for 2 weeks. It's help the scale budges. Now I add carb back on but not a lot (max would be 120g carb/day). It's seem working. Hopefully, next week we see the new low number.
Mai

anderson02 03-29-2011 07:43 AM

Hello ladies,

So I have said this to myself or my Husband about a dozen different times but I am starting to count calories today and hoping to maintain it for at least a few weeks. My goal is to between 1200-1400 daily. Can I really do it this time??? :confused: Summer is getting close!! Weekends are my weakness especially when there are social events. Plus week days are just so much easier to plan because there is some sort of schedule with work and all. On the weekend I have a hard time deciding what and how much to eat during the day to allow for some calories for beers in case we do something. I have found myself hungry at days end when we don't do anything or regretting all the stuff I ate earlier when we do as all my calories were used up. SO hard for me! :mad:

outdrsgrl05 03-29-2011 06:52 PM

Thanks, Juliet,for sharing the info about the weight vs. measurement. I've been doing more strength training/weights, with the program recommended in the Women's Health Big Book of exercises, and the scale shows some loss, but not as much as I'd like. However, my pants are much more loose. :) Well, I saw my parents at Christmas, and they came to see me yesterday, and my Mom remarked, "You're so thin. .you lost weight. ." Not really, the numbers haven't really budged that much. Hopefully, the numbers will catch up with the fat loss, if that's possible. :D
Congratulations on the size 4, Mai! Hoping to get there, too. .

anderson02 03-30-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by outdrsgrl05 (Post 41744)
I've been doing more strength training/weights, with the program recommended in the Women's Health Big Book of exercises, and the scale shows some loss, but not as much as I'd like. However, my pants are much more loose. :)

Hi, I went to check out that book on Amazon ($7 used btw). I was disappointed at the page preview. I was hoping to see a few of the exercises but they only preview text portions. :mad:

How long have you been using the book? I have a couple other books but haven't incorporated them into my workout yet. I have Buff Brides (already married but whatever :p ) and then a step aerobics one by Tamilee Webb. Both of those books are black and white.

Yesterday I was probably close to my calorie goal. Starting to track this week alone was an accomplishment for me because I was not sure how many calories were in some stuff so it would have been very easy for me to say "eh, I'll start next week when I know exactly what I am having". We got some ground beef from the neighbor - no calorie or fat content available. I figured it at higher fat and calorie content but found that when we cooked it, it was very lean.

So my goal was to stay between 1200-1400 calories. I got seconds at dinner which I shouldn't have but what can I say it was a favorite dish. Even with that I totaled 1666 calories for the day. Yes, above the 1400 but maybe in reality not by that much if the meat was leaner than I calculated. Today, again figuring the meals on the high side should total out to be under 1200.

I have been getting in my workouts but I don't really see that as an issue. M, W was No More Trouble Zones strength training DVD. Tues. was 40 minutes walking on the treadmil. Today I have printed material on starting a running program. I am leery though because my knees do bother me here and there and I certainly don't want to do long term damage.

Hope everyone else is having a good week! :D

lastri 04-01-2011 05:02 AM

I hopped on the scale this morning. Hopping to lose something. Nope. 2 pounds more.
I really don't know what I did wrong. Kind of tired of 1 week down and 1 week up, basic plateu again.
Mai

RunbikeSki 04-01-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 42140)
I hopped on the scale this morning. Hopping to lose something. Nope. 2 pounds more.
I really don't know what I did wrong. Kind of tired of 1 week down and 1 week up, basic plateu again.
Mai

Bummer Mai!
But stick to your guns, you were doing really well there. You'll get the rhythm back soon enough.

I have to admit I haven't weighed-in in a while. I have been eating quite well, but I have also been lift heavy weights for a couple of weeks and getting several longish runs in. All of which tend to make me retain fluids. So rather than getting discouraged by the scale, I have been enjoying a modestly shrinking bod as evidence by looser and looser clothing.

I'll check my weight next week (maybe :rolleyes:)

Pam

sandi olson 04-01-2011 03:38 PM

Well, thought I'd drop in on this thread again. Thanks for starting a fresh one, runbikeski.

Today I came within 1/2# of my goal! Just when I thought I was stuck on a plateau.

But I had a funny thing happen at tennis this morning. I had two women come up separately and asked if I was OK (one actually asked if I was well!). It occurred to me that they thought I'd been stricken with some malady that caused me to lose weight. So then I had the sinking feeling that I must look horrible or something. Another woman made the comment that it was only because I'd seemed to have lost weight so quickly. Quickly???? It's seemed like forever, but it's only been 3 months, less than a pound a week.

Big changes that have made weight loss happen: pretty much eliminated butter and spread; REALLY cut back on refined foods, sugar, bread. Bread is the hardest, but I discovered multigrain flatout bread at only 100 calories. For those of you who haven't seen it, you fill it with healthy veggies, cheese, etc, and roll it up.

So I'm happy to begin maintenance--after I lose that last 1/2#, of course. Good luck to all of you!

Start wt Jan 1: 135
Goal wt April 1: 122
Actual wt Apr 1: 122.5
Pounds lost: 12.5 (Yippee!)

cjohnson728 04-01-2011 04:40 PM

sandi, it was my experience, and others on here as well, to continue to lose (albeit more slowly) while figuring out the whole maintenance deal. So no worries; you're there, you've got it in the bag, so enjoy!

Funny thing, others' reactions. I had a co-worker ask me if I lost 50 pounds. If I had lost that much, I'd be in the hospital! It was about 25...makes me wonder how I looked before :eek:. Others commented on how different I looked with my hair shorter (it wasn't). Sometimes people just don't think, but once they get used to it, the comments will stop.

Enjoy your tennis and take no prisoners on the court. That'll show them how "unwell" you are!!

nottango 04-02-2011 02:52 AM

Sandi - congrat's! Yay you!
I'm green with envy because I had the same goal of 122# by 4/1, but the closest I got was 129#. I even gained a few back.:mad: Stupid winter-like weather combined with spring break junk food in the house "for the kids" did me in.

RunbikeSki 04-02-2011 08:58 AM

Hey Sandi, big congrats - well done!
You know the maintenance thing trips a lot of folks up, but it sure looks like you have the program lined up.

Now... don't be a stranger now that you've reached your goal :D

Pam

lastri 04-02-2011 09:26 AM

Sandi,
I felt so motivated to read your thread. It so great that you are going to maintainence.
I will try to eleminate refind carbs next week. My hardest thing is rice. I can't live without rice. But I did 2 weeks Atkin induction, I think I ca try again.
Mai

lastri 04-02-2011 09:32 AM

I just got my bikini yesterday. Now I need to wear it once a week, so I know where to shed:D. Also, by looking at it will help me make better choices. ;)
Mai

kimbur96 04-02-2011 09:40 AM

Hi all new to this thread. congrats Sandi on reaching your goal. And Mai congrats on being able to wear a bikini. A great, heck even a good bikini body is part of my motivation. I like to scuba dive and in the summer that means lots of time in a swim suit. I just joined yesterday and look forward to being able to check and share my progress.

lastri 04-02-2011 11:07 AM

Welcome kimbur96!
Looking forward to hear your progress.
Mai

cjohnson728 04-02-2011 12:24 PM

Ladies, you can all do it! I bought my first bikini ever last summer at the age of 42. First time I was ever comfortable enough to wear one. I tape it to the pantry door when I am having a rough day!

RunbikeSki 04-02-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 42283)
Ladies, you can all do it! I bought my first bikini ever last summer at the age of 42. First time I was ever comfortable enough to wear one. I tape it to the pantry door when I am having a rough day!

Very funny Cassie - great idea!

sandi olson 04-02-2011 03:13 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your congrats on almost reaching my goal!

Kimbur96 - welcome and good luck with reaching your goal weight.

Nottango - You are SO close to your goal. I'm sure you'll get there--it's only 7 pounds away!

Cassie, you're right about losing a bit more while I figure out the maintenance thing. I actually plan to try to reach 120--thought I might sound too obsessive if I mentioned that. It's been my experience that I need to be a couple pounds below goal weight to feel OK when my bod retains a bit of water. I get so frustrated!

Now I have to admit that today my weight was up 1/2#. The culprit--white pita and hummus last night! Seems I retain water whenever I eat even small amounts of pasta, bread, rice, potatoes (wheat included). I have a mild allergy to rice and potatoes, but I think it goes for other grains as well. Food allergies can cause bloating, right? I'm not at the point where I need to rule them out entirely, since intense sneezing (big calorie burner!) and losing my voice are the only symptoms.

To all you bikini lovers out there . . . Now that makes ME green with envy. I guess those days are over for me--unless I move to France or something. I can lose weight, build great muscle, mountain bike like crazy, but absolutely cannot get my "skin" to behave itself! Where did all that collagen disappear to?