Notices

Dieting with food allergies

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dieting with food allergies

I need some help - does anyone know of a good diet plan that eliminates the most common foods that cause allergies? It's been a real struggle trying to find healthy choices that I don't react to. Is there a site available somewhere? A book to read? Any advice would be appreciated!

Justina
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by justina99
I need some help - does anyone know of a good diet plan that eliminates the most common foods that cause allergies? It's been a real struggle trying to find healthy choices that I don't react to. Is there a site available somewhere? A book to read? Any advice would be appreciated!

Justina
what foods are you talking about.

For the past 6 years I have been cooking for an allergy ridden family.

I am allergic to tree nuts, bananas and fermented foods.
My granddaughter is allergic to eggs, dairy, soy, tomatoes, strawberries and gluten, but we had to eliminate a lot more at first.
My husband has issues with garlic.
And while I was trying to cook for everyone, my son stopped eating and lost enough weight that he was having chest pains. I had to add cheese and tomato sauce back for him and cook two meals each night.

I find a lot of my granddaughter's safe foods are lower in calories.
Tell me what you want and I can probably find a recipe for you. I have some old, out of print cookbooks for allergies.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Annette,

Thanks for the reply - sorry I didn't get back to you right away.

Whatever recipes you come up with would be great.

I can't do soy or eggs, and I am trying to eliminate wheat. I really can't do any processed foods at all.

thanks,

Justina
Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
FitDay Member

Annette,

Thanks for the reply - sorry I didn't get back to you right away.

Whatever recipes you come up with would be great.

I can't do soy or eggs, and I am trying to eliminate wheat. I really can't do any processed foods at all.

thanks,

Justina
The reason you can't do processed foods is because they almost all contain soy and a lot contain wheat.

So basically you want a diet that leans towards fruits, vegetables, seeds, meat and whole grains. Wheat free grains include spelt, kamut, buckwheat, oats, rice, quinoa, amaranth and a host of lesser ones. I would still lean heavier on fruits and vegetables.

I personally liked following the Zone. But I mean the diet, not the prepared bars and foods.

Right now though, I am just cutting my daily intake because I discovered that I was taking in way too may calories. I was eating like I was working 10 hour days on the farm, when all I was doing was a load of dishes between computer work.

Now I am eating according to my activity level, minus a few calories for weight loss.

I could give you random recipes, but if you give me an idea of what you want, I can see if I have one. Feel free to ask anytime, because as long as I have weight to lose, I intend to keep coming back.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

thanks,

Justina
Are you allergic to the yolk?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Are you allergic to the yolk?
I think it is interesting that you asked that question. My granddaughter and I can eat boiled eggs together, she is sensitive to the white and I am sensitive to the yolk.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Annette,

The diet you described is pretty much what I'm thinking. However, I've tried quinoa and millet, and those don't work for me. I haven't tried the others you've mentioned, mostly because I didn't want to spend the money, only to find out I can't use it. But considering how narrow my choices seem to be getting, I should probably just bite the bullet and try them.

If I were to guess, I would say that the simpler the recipe, the better. I definitely don't mind bland (think baked chicken, rice, green beans and a piece of fruit). What I'm hoping to do is to gather about 6 -10 reliable recipes and just stick to those for awhile. My only goal at this point is to have a week or two without reactions or bloating or what have you. I think I'd be in heaven if that happened.

vabeachgirlNYC, I'm pretty sure I'm sensitive to both the yolk and the white, the yolk more so.

~Justina
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

If quinoa and millet don't work, then the other's probably won't either.

Here is one recipe that is a little spicier than bland.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post32451

It would be great if you could get recipes from a few people.

If you can handle rice, and flax or gelatin, I can come up with a muffin recipe for you. My mom uses flax seed to replace the eggs in recipes, I use gelatin. I can come up with a useable rice flour mix recipe, just let me do some experimenting.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
FitDay Member

Annette,

Rice, flax and gelatin I'm ok with. The muffin idea sounds great.

thanks!

~Justina

PS. Thanks for the bean and lentil recipe.

Last edited by justina99; 02-11-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot the post script