Notices

HELP! I'm struggling!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default HELP! I'm struggling!

I'm trying to lose 80 pounds, but it seems that I have a problem with under-eating and not over-eating. My usual daily calorie intake was about 600 including drinks, but It says that I should be taking in about 1,600 calories a day. I've been trying and I always fall short 400-600 calories.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

It depends on what you are already eating. If you try to aim for the basic health guidelines for your age and gender it will boost your calories. For instance- 2 teaspoons of healthy oil per day, a certain number of servings of non-fat or low-fat dairy, one or two pieces of fruit, lean protein, whole grains. I find that if I eat this way my calories stay in a very healthy range. I have the opposite problem though! I am aiming for 1200 calories a day and seem to consistently eat about 1350. Try breaking your day in to meals/snacks with a calorie/nutrition goal in mind for each one and then build on that.
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

That not healthy. You're sabataging yourself. First, your body is going to go into starvation mode and will deliberately keep your body fat because it is not getting enough calories. Secondly, you will burn out very soon. How long do can you limit yourself to that amount of food? You will get so frustrated by not seeing much loss that you will just give up an go back to your old habits. Not sure what plan you are following, but add some veggies and fruit, nuts are good pick-me-ups and lean proteins will help out.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

I had an appointment today with a registered dietician. These are some of the things she suggested.

Eat a protein with every meal, whether it be 3 oz of meat, or an egg, or 3 egg whites, or a handful of nuts.

Eat at least 3 or 4 carb servings with each meal....ei, 2 slices of bread is 2 carbs, half cup of pasta or rice is 1 carb, 1 piece of fruit is 1 carb, 3/4 of a cup of cereal is 1 carb, a glass of milk is 1 carb, a small container of yogurt is 1 carb.

Add 2 teaspoons of UNCOOKED olive oil to your day...put it on a salad, or add it tuna and use less mayo, or add it to yogurt...whatever...just make sure you eat it.

Snack through out the day on veggies, and make sure at least 2 of your daily carbs are fruit.

Try and use only whole grain products, no white breads or white rice.

The dietician said if you eat this way you will not gain weight, and if you make smart choices you will lose weight.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pidosmum
That not healthy. You're sabataging yourself. First, your body is going to go into starvation mode and will deliberately keep your body fat because it is not getting enough calories. Secondly, you will burn out very soon. How long do can you limit yourself to that amount of food?
I've been doing this for years - like 10 years. I was only eating once a day and I would be exhausted, but I think my body just adjusted to it. Now that I am trying to get into shape and lose all of the weight I am struggling to eat. The hardest time for me is in the morning, I have a hard time eating anything.

I have started eating better (3-5 times a day) and forcing myself to take in the calories that I need. I lost 16 pounds in the month of January!

We bought a treadmill last week and I have been using it faithfully...I have gotten up to 35 minutes per day....which may not seem like much, but I feel much better through the day!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

35 minutes on the treadmill is great!!! I aim for 10 minutes on the treadmill, which usually turns into 20 or 30, but if my goal is 10 it doesn't seem so overwhelming! Plus if I only manage 10 because I am tired or not feeling well, I don't feel like I have failed.

So much of what we do, while trying to lose weight is "self talk" and it is very easy to self talk ourselves into failure! Part of that is by setting unreasonable goals for ourselves, not being able to meet those goals, and giving up in despair over our "failures"!

So instead, set yourself lower goals, ones you can reach....if you surpass them you will feel very proud of yourself and will give yourself lots of positive vibes, which will not only make you happy with yourself, it will motivate you to keep going!!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
FitDay Member

I don't really have a daily goal on the treadmill. I just get on and walk...LOL! I usually try to beat my previous day time, so far I have everyday. I started at 10 minutes (the first day) and I try to add 5 minutes each day. I was also thinking that I may start doing a few minutes in the evening.

I can't wait to step on the scale (one of these days) and not be embarrassed.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Something that I try (which may or may not work for you) is to not focus on eating so many meals or snacks per day, but rather just eating when I'm hungry. I'm also not very hungry in the morning, so I usually start my day with a big glass of orange juice. This will get some calories in you without making you too full if you're already not hungry. Then I bring a bunch of fruits and veggies to work with me and just pull them out when I'm hungry. I wonder if this might help if you struggle with eating throughout the day....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Eating only 600 calories a day is obviously not healthy. If you can't bring yourself to really eat in the morning maybe try to have a protein shake (can be only 4-6oz) or one of those morning carnation shakes.

I ususally try to plan out my food the night before so I know exactly what I am going to eat the next day and I know that my percentages are okay. I put all this food in my lunch box and eat on it throughout the day. I know that by the end of the day the food should be gone. Perhaps this could help remind you to eat and how much!