Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
MADE MY GOAL (and how you can, too!) >

MADE MY GOAL (and how you can, too!)

Community
Notices

MADE MY GOAL (and how you can, too!)

Old 12-10-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default MADE MY GOAL (and how you can, too!)

Hi Girls! I started the weight loss journey last June. I will be 53 in February, so I did not have high hopes this would happen for me. I started out at 160 pounds (which is substantial considering I am only 5' 3"!) I am now at my goal weight of 125 lbs!! I am astonished and thrilled at how fast this has happened! Keeping a food journal here on fitday was my first step. Once I realized just how many calories I was consuming, the plan was EASY. Just eat less calories than you burn! I cut out ALL snacks (potato chips, cookies, etc...) I only eat three sensible meals each day. Then I added in running. I started out slow. Five minutes of running, the rest of the way I walked. Every couple of days I increased my running time. I am now at 33 minutes of running (about 3 miles) I walk on alternate days. Now that I am at my goal weight, I am just going to continue doing what I am doing and see where it takes me! So just a little inspirational story for you all. We older women aren't doomed to being overweight!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations! Thanks for posting. Hope you're getting yourself some new clothes!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

I usually don't post over here, I just wanted to drop by and say congrats!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

OK Mike, since you're on the woman's thread, the next picture you post has to be of you in drag! Kidding!!! Still it might be fun to see...

Congrats Lewisfamily and kudos!! I am both jealous and I applaud you!!! Due to health issues I cannot run and have trouble with exercise but your post gives me hope just the same!! Do I really have to cut out the cookies though...
Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
OK Mike, since you're on the woman's thread, the next picture you post has to be of you in drag! Kidding!!! Still it might be fun to see...
I don't think I'd be too cute in a dress.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats!!! Thank you for sharing with us. It is always great to hear other stories! It keeps me motivated.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Maybe a cookie here and there....

Originally Posted by canary52

Congrats Lewisfamily and kudos!! I am both jealous and I applaud you!!! Due to health issues I cannot run and have trouble with exercise but your post gives me hope just the same!! Do I really have to cut out the cookies though...
LOL!! You have to have a treat every now and then, so I say, have ONE cookie but just every now and again!!! You DO NOT have to run to lose the weight!!! It just made it happen faster. Just watching those calories and making sure you are burning more than you are eating will do it!!! My brother HAS to lose weight because he has a lung condition and needs a transplant. He is on oxygen and simply cannot do ANY exercise. He is just cutting his calories and is nearly 30 pounds down. For him, this is life or death as he can't have the transplant until he drops 60 pounds. YOU CAN DO THIS without exercise, but it will be a lot slower!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

OK I think I can stick to one or two small pieces of chocolate every now and then just so I don't feel deprived and wind up being very grouchy and mean.

Seriously, I am so sorry to hear about your brother's condition. It does put things in perspective. My situation does not look so bad in comparison. Fibromyalgics often suffer from what is called "exercise intolerance." I know it sounds like I'm making this up. I actually love to exercise, used to lift weights, do intense cardio. Now a small workout can mean I am bedridden and in a huge flare for days afterwards. This just happened to me yet again. But you know what? I am trying to learn what I can do and do it. And you know, if your brother can face what he has to face, I can face my stuff. I wish you guys all the best. I must say you sound like very determined and hard working people.

Last edited by canary52; 12-10-2010 at 08:40 AM.