Community
Notices

Fitting it all in...need tips

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fitting it all in...need tips

I feel kind of silly raising this question because I know that this is something that everyone deals with, but I am feeling overwhelmed and I am not seeing solutions.
How do you manage to fit it all in?
Work is insane and will be through January. I start my day at 5:55 getting me and kids ready and leave at 7 a.m. when school bus arrives. I go to work and work (through lunch) until about 4:30 p.m. When I go home, make and eat dinner and then get back on my work computer for another 3+ hours. I used to do a quick 10 minute walk outside my office bldg before I started in the morning and again before I ate lunch at my desk. It was more for sanity and to get up out of my chair then anything else, but now the weather is cold.
When I log-off at night, I shut down-exhausted. I worked hard to lose these 13lbs and I have so much more to go before I get to goal. I don't want to lose momentum. Eating less calories alone isn't the best solution.
Maybe if enough people tell me that I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. and do tapes on t.v. I will suck it up and get it done.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Suck it up and get it done. I get up at 4:40, warm up for 10 minutes and then go all out for another 50. When I miss (like this morning) I feel like poo all day long.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry I shouldn't have been so rude, but I have a stomach bug and feeling a little cranky.

When I first started doing this I felt the same way, I had no idea how was I going to manage all of it. I just took it in small steps, you don't have to come up with a total 60 minute exercise routine and do it everyday starting right this minute. What you do have to do is look for ways to add in exercise and make it part of your routine. At first I started getting up earlier to get my workout in, initially it was 5:00am, which gave me about 30-45 minutes before the kids get up. After I'd lost weight and needed to increase my burn I started getting up at 4:40am. I walk the kids to school, it takes about 5 minutes longer in each direction than driving, so that was pretty easy. When I go shopping or run errands I park the car as far from the door as I can and walk in from the far corner of the parking lot. I walk to run any errands that are within 1.5 miles from the house. At one point I realized that I was driving 1.5 miles in each direction to run 5K at the gym. So now I walk or run to the gym and back. I've also been taking the kids to the Early Bird Lap Swim at the pool a couple of times/week, that's at 6:30am and it seems really crazy to do it, but they love it. You might google office/seated workouts and see if you can take a 5 minute break and do a little deskercise. Or maybe you can get some of those walk fit shoes and lap the office once an hour, or intentionally use the bathroom furthest away. Yes, the job is important but so is your health, shut the laptop off 20 minutes early and do something for yourself.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

No need to apologize. I just have to do it! I know it. I wish it were easier, but it isn't. Thanks for the honest, kick in the pants
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

With 4 kids ( three 8 and under) a full time job, 17 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats, building a house etc... for me the only way to make it work is to go to the gym late at night. The last of the little ones is in bed by 9 (9:30 on bad days) and once she is down, I head for the gym. Sometimes I don't get done until 11 or later, espically if I am late getting there. But if the other choice is to get up at 4:40 (almeeker you are crazy lol) I choose the late workout. The bonus is that I almost always have the gym to myself.. including the remote lol. And it is nice to lay in bed and feel your muscles tingling as you fall asleep.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
FitDay Member

My hours are crazy too. I have to be at work 5:30 am. I have a 30 min drive to get there (45 in the winter). I get home between 3 and 5 pm. Then have to go out again at 6:30 to pick up my son, usually get to bed between 7:30 and 8:00. -get up at 2:30 to do my Leslie Sansone walking DVD. I try to do 1-2 miles on days I work and days off I do all 3 miles. Days I get home at 3 pm and do weight training with dumb bells and bands. It is a challenge and the weight lose is slow. But its that or nothing.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Suck it up and get it done. I get up at 4:40, warm up for 10 minutes and then go all out for another 50. When I miss (like this morning) I feel like poo all day long.
I really dont know how people get up that early to workout. What time do you go to bed at night? I have a hard time getting out of bed at 5:50am to leave for my bus at 6:10am every morning. It must feel good to workout in the morning for sure though. Then you have to take a shower and I shower at night before bed.