FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   NO STOPPING US! in NOVEMBER 100+ (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2255-no-stopping-us-november-100-a.html)

GameGal 10-31-2010 03:20 AM

NO STOPPING US! in NOVEMBER 100+

I figured I would start this today so it is here for tomorrow.

November can be a tough month with the holidays revving up but we have the ability to stay on track and get through this time!

Maybe people can share their survival tips, tricks and plans ( we have 3 weeks to plan ahead) and maybe we can help each other make it through Thanksgiving.

http://www.kudlbearcreations.com/KC1...givethanks.gif

http://www.kudlbearcreations.com/KC1...l/leaves03.gif

Happy November!

almeeker 10-31-2010 04:18 AM

Thanks gamegal, LOVE the new name BTW.

I think for Thanksgiving I'm going to go very very light for the days leading up to it, and then I'm going to have a small bit of everything on the holiday (and hopefully my stomach will be a little shrunken and fill up faster?). I'm also going to attempt a healthier version of pumpkin pie, somewhat based on my MIL's pumpkin custard pie, poured into an almond meal crust. We'll see.

For Christmas cookies I bought some really tiny cookie cutters, and instead of frosting maybe we'll glaze them? I dunno yet. We also make chocolates, which will probably KILL me.

harpegcanuck 10-31-2010 05:00 AM

GameGal, excellent thread name! I'm looking forward to the next few months, they'll be challenging but fun.

I'm having family over next weekend for a belated Canadian Thanksgiving and looking forward to having some healthy treats for everyone. I'm making my bruschetta that nearly sets your mouth on fire with garlic. Finely diced tomatoes, green onion, red onion, garlic with a bit of olive oil and a bit of parm cheese. I let flavours blend overnight and serve with rice crackers and sometimes tortilla scoops (the worst part of it). My DD loves it.

I love to bake at Christmas time homemade cookies and bottles of wine for most of our friends and family. To make things easier I bake cookies that are tasty without frosting, pop them into little cello bags, into a big ziploc bag and then in the freezer. I started doing up cookie gift baskets when my DD was little and money was very scarce. Now some friends go into cookie withdrawal if we forget to bring cookies. Keeping them in the freezer keeps me out of the cookies.

Take Care all,

almeeker 10-31-2010 12:50 PM

Oooooh I LOVE bruschetta!!! I make it with cherry tomatoes (quartered), pine nuts, olive oil, a drop of lime juice, garlic garlic garlic, red onion, fresh parsley, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, shredded parm, and fresh rosemary. YUMMMMM!!! In the past I've always served it over toasted bread drizzled with olive oil, but now I've gotten rave reviews by serving it over toasted whole wheat slim buns.

We also started doing the cookie gift due to budgetary reasons, but now it's like a tradition with the kiddos at the helm. One thing we do now that is great great fun and doesn't lead to extra calories for me is gingerbread houses. I don't really care for gingerbread, so I can bake it for days and never gain an ounce. Now the frosting and candies on it are a whole 'nother issue... One thing I've started doing more and more often is finishing baked goods with something other than frosting. Lately I've been lightly dusting brownies with powdered sugar or powdered sugar + bakers chocolate instead of frosting (if you do this right when they are hot out of the oven it actually makes a bit of a crust which is subtle but perfect). And gingerbread men only get dots of frosting and raisins for eyes and buttons. I'm thinking about trying to alter some of our usual recipes so they are lower in fat and calories, and higher in protein. We always make sour cream cutter cookies, but I'm thinking of using Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream and replacing some of the flour with whole wheat and buck wheat flours. I might even be able to cut the sugar in half and use a drizzle of maple syrup. We'll see, sometimes our kitchen is more like a chemistry lab than a food preparation area.

gmantych 11-01-2010 01:11 AM

I love this month's title! I can't believe it is already November though. Maybe this month will go a little bit slower than October did.

Since joining FitDay at the end of September I have lost 12.2 lbs. I am starting November at 215.8. I will be so happy just seeing the # under 200.

For those of you ladies that eat tuna, how do you prepare it. I know fresh is much better but I always have a can of tuna on hand. Before my weight loss attempt I would mix a can with mayo, pickles, and boiled eggs. I never counted the calories but I know that it has to be a little too high. I am trying to find healthier ways to enjoy the tuna. I am not much on eating it plain. Any suggestions?

almeeker 11-01-2010 01:50 AM

I like to mix a can of tuna with a teaspoon each of Light ff Miracle Whip, pickle relish and spicy mustard, which adds about 20 calories (give or take), I've also used ff salad dressing like Zesty Italian or Ranch. Then I usually spread it on a whole wheat Slim Bun, 8 grain Slimwich or on Special K crackers. Y'all are making me hungry....

ChunkyDunk78 11-01-2010 02:42 AM

Fell off the wagon...

Well, I fell off the wagon and gained back almost 3 lbs. However, the whole entire month of Oct. was pretty much off the wagon, so I guess it could be worse.
My father passed away in the middle of Oct, unexpectedly. Since then, I have done nothing but eat- I know- I am depressed. So yesterday I started back with recording what I was eating, and I am getting myself back on the wagon. I know my dad would not want me to just give up on everything!
I am tired all the time, and I'm sure that is partly because I'm drained emotionally, and partly because I am eating CRAP! I haven't been to the gym all month either. *sigh*.
I'm a bit disappointed in myself because I am not where I wanted to be by now. I was hoping to be at 313 by Halloween, and then see the 200's into the new year. however, on the bright side, i am almost 40 lbs less than I was 3.5 months ago. Also, I have made a habit of weighing myself daily and although I have let myself gain a few lbs here and there, I am have learned to take control after a 5 lbs gain.
I know I can get back on track and see 313 (a 50 lb loss) sooner rather than later!

changeisgood29 11-01-2010 03:00 AM

CD, I am so sorry for your loss. Forgive yourself any emotional eating and please don't beat yourself up for the scale not reading exactly the number that you wanted it to. I hope that getting yourself back on the wagon will give you something positive to focus on, and I wish you good thoughts.
Hello to everyone; I don't post so much but I do check in here and there. You all are doing so well and continue to inspire and motivate me. Here's to a great November! :)

ChunkyDunk78 11-01-2010 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=changeisgood29;24249]CD, I am so sorry for your loss. Forgive yourself any emotional eating and please don't beat yourself up for the scale not reading exactly the number that you wanted it to.QUOTE]

Thanks change, I am glad I was able to rangle in the emotional eating though, because it was getting out of hand (soda, chocolate, candy, brownies, ice cream, fast food). I can't believe I only gained 3 lbs.

GameGal 11-01-2010 05:14 AM

CD I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I had wondered where you had gone to. I am glad you are back with us, and that you recognize what you have been doing and are ready to get back on the bandwagon!

You know we are all here to help support you in any way we can. Welcome home!

almeeker 11-01-2010 07:16 AM

chunky, I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. I think it's great that you are taking the reins back in hand, you're right, dad wouldn't want you to give up on account of him. Calories will not help you mourn, even if they seem like they might. So forgive yourself for the derailment, and get your fanny back to the gym and make dad proud.

smooshmcsmeesh 11-01-2010 07:52 AM

*caring hugs CD* I am so very sorry to hear about your Dad. It's very difficult to lose a loved one, especially a parent or child. I hope you are surrounded by loving family & friends, and I'm sure he is still near in spirit. Please take care sweetie and don't be too hard on yourself for the 'brief hiatus' in diet/exercise. It's only natural during stressful times.
My prayers are with you.

Hard to believe it's November 1st. I am 3 months, as of today, in to my healthier lifestyle -- and while it's all going well -- I have gotten rather busy in RL with work, which is why I haven't been posting as regularly. While I didn't achieve my mini-goal of 235 lbs. by 10/31, I have lost 1 more pound, and am down to 241. So I've extended my wish for 235 until the end of November and will keep working towards that mini-mark. Total pounds lost since 8/1 = 24... woo hoo!

I am not too worried about the holiday season, only because DH and I tend to be hermits and we live too far from relatives to be tempted or participate in fattening festivities. It's a good/bad problem.

I was proud that DH didn't buy any candy at his store for Halloween... something he usually does... especially when it goes on 'deep discount' after the holiday. What did he buy instead? A new digital scale! HOORAY!

Well, I wish everyone a great week and strong willpower to do what needs to be done to get where we want to go! WE CAN DO IT!

I will try to post again soon, but please know I am thinking of all of you and cheering us on, even when I'm unable to make it to the thread.

Best always,
Smoosh :)

nru1286 11-01-2010 02:01 PM

You're darn right that there's no stopping us now!

I managed to make it in the 330's this past weekend, and hoping to stay there (or lower!); however, I did some sort of damage to my left leg/ankle/foot that is making walking for exercise very difficult. I'm trying to get out a little bit, but for the next 2 days I think I'm work-ridden for the most part, until I see the good doctor on Wednesday.

CD, my thoughts, prayers, and well wishes are with you. Welcome back! :)

Haven't been too great on the water front, and I've been a little lenient with the diet lately, so back on track. Right now.

But for now, bed. Here's for a great day tomorrow!

WeightlossBoo 11-01-2010 09:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad CD. For many people part of the grieving process includes emotional eating, so definitely don't be too hard on yourself for gaining back a few pounds. You're getting back on track and you're still motivated so a big thumbs up to you! And I'm sure your Dad would be very proud that you're taking control and getting your life back. :)

Urgh, I'm struggling to balance work, exercise and healthy eating! I haven't gained, but I'm seeing tiny losses in comparison to when I was in the gym 7 days a week and it's so frustrating! I was hoping to get under 200lbs for my birthday in March, but the way I'm heading at the moment I just won't make it and I loath that fact! Seems like when I'm working even 2 days a week I want to spend my time off at home, and not in the gym even though I do enjoy it when I'm there. I have no energy and no drive, and I would probably stop going if I wasn't such a stubborn cow! Anyone got any tips that will help me stay motivated and maybe food ideas that will keep my energy levels up?

christineval 11-01-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78 (Post 24245)
Well, I fell off the wagon and gained back almost 3 lbs. However, the whole entire month of Oct. was pretty much off the wagon, so I guess it could be worse.
My father passed away in the middle of Oct, unexpectedly. Since then, I have done nothing but eat- I know- I am depressed. So yesterday I started back with recording what I was eating, and I am getting myself back on the wagon. I know my dad would not want me to just give up on everything!
I am tired all the time, and I'm sure that is partly because I'm drained emotionally, and partly because I am eating CRAP! I haven't been to the gym all month either. *sigh*.
I'm a bit disappointed in myself because I am not where I wanted to be by now. I was hoping to be at 313 by Halloween, and then see the 200's into the new year. however, on the bright side, i am almost 40 lbs less than I was 3.5 months ago. Also, I have made a habit of weighing myself daily and although I have let myself gain a few lbs here and there, I am have learned to take control after a 5 lbs gain.
I know I can get back on track and see 313 (a 50 lb loss) sooner rather than later!

Going back to the gym and healthy eating will make you feel better about yourself and then you will not be so sad anymore. You get those happy endorphins when you excerise, I would say you are getting there since you are back on track for Nov.

I seriously fell off the wagon because of the halloween candy! I have a huge bag of it at home because I have 2 kids. I can not resist chocolate in my house lol.

Anyway keep your chin up and get back in the gym and eating healthy and then you will feel better.

almeeker 11-02-2010 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo (Post 24310)
Urgh, I'm struggling to balance work, exercise and healthy eating! I haven't gained, but I'm seeing tiny losses in comparison to when I was in the gym 7 days a week and it's so frustrating! I was hoping to get under 200lbs for my birthday in March, but the way I'm heading at the moment I just won't make it and I loath that fact! Seems like when I'm working even 2 days a week I want to spend my time off at home, and not in the gym even though I do enjoy it when I'm there. I have no energy and no drive, and I would probably stop going if I wasn't such a stubborn cow! Anyone got any tips that will help me stay motivated and maybe food ideas that will keep my energy levels up?

Maybe you need a new workout ensemble? I bought some new sweat pants today in a size smaller than I normally wear, and now I want to put them on and see if I can wear them in public. BTW Fashion Bug's "Must Have Buy" this week is $9.00 sweat pants with a draw string waist, ours only had them in black, gray and navy, which works for me since I would never wear them in hot pink or sunshine yellow anyway. You might also load some new tunes on to your music player, that usually helps me get it going when I'm in a slump. Call a friend and schedule a workout date. Get some new workout materials, like new heavier weights, or a new body ball, or maybe a new workout DVD you've been wanting to try. Or if you don't want to spend any money for motivation try checking a couple of new DVD's out of the library.

Seriously cows aren't stubborn, they are actually quite gentle and smart. If you want compare yourself to a stubborn animal look to the goat, or pig, or Scottish husband (speaking from experience here).

On energy foods I personally do best with a mixture of ingredients. Like egg white omelets with chicken, cheese, salsa, peppers, onions and fat free sour cream, served with whole wheat tortillas. When I eat meals that are a balance of carbs-proteins-fats, I feel much more energetic. I also like a piece of fruit to bounce me back up, apples, bananas, cherries, blueberries, etc etc. You might also whip up a protein shake with frozen fruit and vanilla protein powder. Nuts are also a nice boost, almonds and cashews are my favorite. Deviled eggs are also top notch for a boost, I can't believe I almost forgot them...

carrenross 11-02-2010 08:32 AM

Back in the saddle again.

Well, hallow!(e'en) Just touching base and letting you know I am slowly climbing out of my self-inflicted 'candy coma'! I tell you - I am not to happy with myself and definitely not as strong as Smooshs' DH! I was buying the discount candy for my own DH - uh huh, yea, guess you all know the rest of THAT story. Due to the above my glucose counts are out of whack (diabetes) and this then triggered all the bad side effects like depression, anger, overwhelmed feelings. Mind you I can not blame Oct 31st as I have been doing it all month. It is like I reached my Sept goal of 230# and got stuck there. No plateau, just was so happy that I figured I was over losing weight - it was all down hill from there, BUT - I am back.

WeightlossBoo 11-02-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 24343)
Seriously cows aren't stubborn, they are actually quite gentle and smart. If you want compare yourself to a stubborn animal look to the goat, or pig, or Scottish husband (speaking from experience here).

I'm engaged to a Scottish bloke and I do agree that he is stubborn! ...But I like it. ;) A'hem.

Thank you for all the advice! I've been buying smaller gym clothes for the past few weeks, and I really love how I'm fitting into sizes I was wearing when I was about 16. I think the fact that I am back where I was 8 years ago has made me slack a little? I'm definitely not satisfied with my body as it stands though!!!

I need an MP3 player desperately! I didn't have any pockets in my old gym clothes so I had to stuff it down my bra during workouts, and I think that all the sweat sent it the way of the Dodo. It's on my list of things to buy after Christmas. I have been trying new classes though, and trying to change up/alternate my routine seems to have done the trick today at least.

I've been struggling to hit my protein intake of 100g+ a day, so from tomorrow onwards I'm going to be substituting my lunchtime sandwich for a protein shake. Once I've got a blender I may add berries to it as it's not too tasty. Hopefully it'll give me more energy too.

heather.72 11-02-2010 12:59 PM

Hello all... usually i just read and take inspiration from all of you ladies. (almeeker you are my HERO) but i can actually contribute something useful here...

walmart has the best blender for protein shakes! It is only $15.00 and it is a cup (with lid like a travle mug) that sits on the blender motor. You dump your stuff in, put on th elid, set the cup on the motor and blend away and then you take the cup off the motor and out the door you go. The only way I can get enough protein is with the shakes. And personally I think the power mixed with water is nasty. I asked for help on here (there is a thread under foods I think) and got wonderful suggestions. So now every morning my breakfast is a protein shake - 8 oz milk, 1/2 cup non fat yogurt, 1/2 cup frozen fruit, 1 scoop of protein powder. It makes the BEST smoothies! And i drink it on the way to work in the truck lol.

almeeker 11-02-2010 01:48 PM

Hey girlies, I'm having a rough day. Dunno why, just am. It's that blasted Halloween candy, sakes alive it's in every corner of the house!!! For starters I didn't sleep at all well last night, for no apparent reason I was up until 2:15am and finally got so hungry at midnight that I ate soup and crackers, not a lot of calories, but I started the day 250 calories over where I normally do. So I got up late on purpose and skipped my morning workout. Food wise was doing really really well all day and then I got hit with a bad case of the 2:00pm blahs and wham, just like that I'd downed 4 "Fun Size" bars and was going in for the 5th when I realized that I had just consumed an extra 320 calories on a day when I already could not afford it. To make it worse dinner was already cooking, and wouldn't you know it's a chuck roast. Normally I don't make big meat during the week, but one of the kids left the basement deep freeze ajar and it got thawed out and had to be cooked or tossed, so tight wad fat girl that I am, I cooked it with a delish steak sauce marinade, along with sweet potatoes praline and homemade freezer slaw (which also got thawed out). The sweet potatoes are sort of high calorie wise, especially once you drizzle them with maple syrup and toss on fist fulls of pecans and dried cranberries. The slaw isn't bad, but it's made with a sweet pickle solution (sugar+vinegar+salt), so it's more carbs than just plain cabbage. I actually finished the day at a surplus rather than a deficit. Which just goes to show how important sleep can be in this journey.

heather.72, thanks so much for your compliment. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow, I think I need one of these fabulous mug+motor devices. Genius!!! You my friend need to post more often...

carrenross, don't beat yourself up too much over Halloween. The way I see it, Halloween is supposed to be scary. Glad to hear that you're back in the saddle. I know this feeling you're talking about, the slack back a bit because you've hit a goal. Right now I weigh less than I have in decades. Which is all very nice, but I'm still not at a healthy weight for my height. My ultimate goal is not to be skinny, but to be healthy. I think my dedication wavers because I'm now treading in unknown water, and quite frankly that is scarier than Halloween.

Boo, I have a favorite quote on the Scotts, it goes like this, "How can you tell a Scottsman? Oh you can tell him alright, not that he'll listen..." Carve that in stone over the mantel, it will come in handy. The funny part is that my dad's family is 100% Irish, and my mother's family is German, so you would think I'm the stubborn one, but you'd be dead wrong. I've had that same problem with at least 2 MP3 players, sweat kills them, it kills headphones too. I go through more headphones than 6 women should. DH has joked about buying earbuds by the score, I wish he'd stop joking and just do it already!

sstenner 11-02-2010 03:33 PM

Hi Ladies,

Here to check in, a couple of days late, but that's how things go in my little world. Down 2 more pounds this week. I felt the need to step out into the kitchen Sunday morning and announce my success... but the hounds weren't impressed and no one else was up yet.

I was talking with a co-worker this week and she asked if I had cleaned out the cabinets of all the fattening foods and bought "diet food." I told her no, and then took a look at my cabinets when I got home. There are probably too many carbs around, and not enough vegetables. But there aren't any hidden stashes of candy or junk to rid myself of. There is a drawer that contains mom's afternoon snacks, but I'm not really tempted by artificial orange cheese crackers or potato chips, so I think I'm safe. I do need to do something about the ice cream in the freezer...

As for "diet food," I don't much believe in the sugar free and fat free substitutes that are supposed to be just like the real thing. I would rather use a measured, planned for portion of the real thing than a substitute. I do use fat free dressings on salad, but that's about the extent of it. I guess my theory is that I need to do this eating "normal" food like a "normal" person. I need to learn portion control and balance. (that was so easy to write... so hard to do!!!)

So the holidays will come, and I will cook and bake because that is what I do. I'll dance in the kitchen trying to burn off the nibbles and if I make it through to the new year without gaining, I'll be happy. If I manage to continue to lose, it will just be a bonus!

Have a great week!

Sharon

harpegcanuck 11-03-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 24387)
Boo, I have a favorite quote on the Scotts, it goes like this, "How can you tell a Scottsman? Oh you can tell him alright, not that he'll listen..." Carve that in stone over the mantel, it will come in handy. The funny part is that my dad's family is 100% Irish, and my mother's family is German, so you would think I'm the stubborn one, but you'd be dead wrong. I've had that same problem with at least 2 MP3 players, sweat kills them, it kills headphones too. I go through more headphones than 6 women should. DH has joked about buying earbuds by the score, I wish he'd stop joking and just do it already!

OMG that explains a lot about my Dad! And I'm stubborn more than I'd care to admit. :o

I was going through headphones and sweating earbuds to pieces. I found a pair of over the ear water resistant headphones. They have no cushioning or foam over the ears to deteriorate and I hang them on the edge of my cup holder on the elliptical to air dry after a workout. I think they're sony and they are labelled up as the sports model. I've been using them for the last 6 months and they're still going strong.

CD78 my condolences on your loss, I lost my Dad a long time ago in my teens. I hope the happy memories of him help get you through this tough time.

On the Halloween front I'm happy we handed out all of the candy, although that doesn't mean I've been eating all that much better for not having it in the house.

I went for my pre-surgery physical (elective day surgery only) and got a clean bill of helath and told I will breeze right through this surgery. I'm holding my doc to it! I'm keeping up with the exercise and BP & HR are in her opionion terrific. It's nice to hear those encouraging words!

Hope everyone is doing well and wish everyone success this week!

All the Best,

Harpeg

GameGal 11-04-2010 05:47 AM

Wellllllll ... Happy B-day to me! LOL! But I blew it :rolleyes:

One of my fav things in the world is the McDonald's McRib! And it's back!! So... since its my BD, I decided I deserved one ( ok ok! I am trying to convince myself of this!).. and actually... if I had ONLY had that, it wouldnt have been HORRIBLE nutrition-wise... :eek:

McRib Nutritional Info:
490 calories, 220 calories from fat, 25 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 1040 mb sodium, 44 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein, 11 g sugars.

But no! I HAD to also have Fries which took up all my allotted calories/fat/ carbs etc for the day. So no frosting for me today :( ( I dislike cake, so only eat the frosting LOL!).. but, the McRib was soooo worth it!

I will get better tomorrow. Great job to those who are stronger than me!!

gmantych 11-04-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 24531)

One of my fav things in the world is the McDonald's McRib! And it's back!! So... since its my BD, I decided I deserved one ( ok ok! I am trying to convince myself of this!).. and actually... if I had ONLY had that, it wouldnt have been HORRIBLE nutrition-wise... :eek:

McRib Nutritional Info:
490 calories, 220 calories from fat, 25 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 1040 mb sodium, 44 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein, 11 g sugars.

But no! I HAD to also have Fries which took up all my allotted calories/fat/ carbs etc for the day. So no frosting for me today :( ( I dislike cake, so only eat the frosting LOL!).. but, the McRib was soooo worth it!

Happy Birthday!!!

changeisgood29 11-04-2010 11:40 AM

Happy birthday! I'm glad you enjoyed your sammich. ::cool:

almeeker 11-04-2010 12:45 PM

McRib Nutritional Info:

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear GameGal
Happy Birthday to you

Anybody got a Tums? I got heartburn just reading the nutritional info on the McRibb!!!

zootnarf 11-05-2010 03:04 AM

McRib Nutritional Info:

Girl, if you ate all that and STILL stayed within your allotted calorie/fat/carb intake for the day, YOU are the strong one! My birthday was in October, and I think I had double my calorie intake for the day. Not to mention the days following when the celebration went on and on and on....

You should be very proud of yourself for finding a way to fit in something you really wanted and not just throwing it all out the window. I think that takes more willpower than anything. Well done!

In spite of my birthday backsliding, I lost a total of 4 pounds in October, so still trucking along at my slow, yet predictable rate. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the weight loss continued in spite of my extended birthday celebrations. I think what feels like "totally blowing the diet" feels worse than it actually is. When I input all of that food, there really was only one day that was truly terrible. Compared to how good I have been, it just felt so much worse than it actually was.

Speaking of going off track...I'm leaving tomorrow for an 8 day cruise! :D I have no thoughts of this being a weight loss week, but I plan on getting in lots of walking and hitting the salad bar often. I'm actually excited about being able to make a big salad with tons of toppings without having to do all that chopping, washing, and prepping. I'm going to eat what I want, but try to practice stopping when I am full. I'm not sure what to do about logging my food since I won't have internet access. Maybe I will just write it all down, but the thought of entering all of that food when I get back is really not appealing.

So, with all of that in mind, my big November goal is to maintain! Between a cruise and Thanksgiving, I think that is a big enough goal.

Good luck to everyone to make it through this tough time of year for dieters! I'm guessing that it is a tough time for more than just me since it has been much quieter on this thread. Hang in there everyone! You can always get back on that horse. Just don't eat the horse! :D

carrenross 11-05-2010 03:15 AM

Motor On!

Hey all!
heather.72 THANKS for the heads up on the travel mug-blender. I didn't get one at WM but did find one at Zellers (Canada) for only $17 - 14oz capacity! I can hardly wait until the DH is awake and I can start my motor roaring! LOL I am planning Skim milk, protein powder and frozen raspberries, mmm, yum.

Since I was up so early I already had a breakfast. I cracked open a small can of pork & beans and ate it right out of the can. I know, it sounds gross and for breakfast - but it is a comfort food I have been craving since last night and forced myself to NOT eat it at 9pm! Feel much better now. OH, and BTW - I found out the hard way not to combine Coleslaw, Pork n Beans and WORK! LOL
I felt like I was committing intestinal hari kari and it was a good thing I didn't have to many customers as I am sure they would have seen the 'green fog' swirling around me! Plus side being, I lost 2# of ... well, let's just leave it at that.

Have a great day everyone.

almeeker 11-05-2010 05:32 AM

Carrenross, you are not the only one that eats beans right out of the can for breakfast. My mother is the Queen Bean, as a kid I watched her eat beans right out of the can at any time of day, consequently I'm the same way, green toxic haze and all...

GameGal 11-05-2010 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by zootnarf (Post 24642)
Girl, if you ate all that and STILL stayed within your allotted calorie/fat/carb intake for the day, YOU are the strong one! My birthday was in October, and I think I had double my calorie intake for the day. Not to mention the days following when the celebration went on and on and on....

You should be very proud of yourself for finding a way to fit in something you really wanted and not just throwing it all out the window. I think that takes more willpower than anything. Well done!

In spite of my birthday backsliding, I lost a total of 4 pounds in October, so still trucking along at my slow, yet predictable rate. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the weight loss continued in spite of my extended birthday celebrations. I think what feels like "totally blowing the diet" feels worse than it actually is. When I input all of that food, there really was only one day that was truly terrible. Compared to how good I have been, it just felt so much worse than it actually was.

Speaking of going off track...I'm leaving tomorrow for an 8 day cruise! :D I have no thoughts of this being a weight loss week, but I plan on getting in lots of walking and hitting the salad bar often. I'm actually excited about being able to make a big salad with tons of toppings without having to do all that chopping, washing, and prepping. I'm going to eat what I want, but try to practice stopping when I am full. I'm not sure what to do about logging my food since I won't have internet access. Maybe I will just write it all down, but the thought of entering all of that food when I get back is really not appealing.

So, with all of that in mind, my big November goal is to maintain! Between a cruise and Thanksgiving, I think that is a big enough goal.

Good luck to everyone to make it through this tough time of year for dieters! I'm guessing that it is a tough time for more than just me since it has been much quieter on this thread. Hang in there everyone! You can always get back on that horse. Just don't eat the horse! :D

Wellll I had planned on stopping at that for the day, I really did but since my guy and I wont be celebrating my b-day until Saturday night, he decided, without asking, to bring home a meatza meatza pizza from Domino's. And even though I "only ate 2 pieces" ( I hate cold pizza).. that added another 800 calories to the day :mad: so I realllly blew the day.
Today I am mostly back on track. I went to wallyworld and bought more Zone Bars, grocery store and bought fruit and veggies etc. So things should be better again soon.

I also looked at that smoothy thing for the oysterizer.. at wallyword.. and I put it in my cart, and thought.. how often am I REALLY going to use this?? See, several years ago, I ABSOLUTELY just HAD to have a OSTERIZER BLENDER or I would just DIE!!!! I have never used it. It alternates sitting on my counter so I can feel guilty about it, or shoved in a cupboard so I dont have to think about it. Eventually, before I got to the check out, I put it back. Maybe when I am convinced I will actually make smoothies, I will get it.
However I must say, I had never had a smoothie, so when McDonalds started having them, I got one. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it tasted like water with bitter smooshed up pieces of watery fruit in it. Since I dont know what they are supposed to taste like, I dont know if that is typical or not. And if that IS what they taste like, I won't be making any, so no need for the machine to make them. :confused:

zootnarf ~ have a wonderful cruise!! And even if you gain a few pounds back, the world wont end, you will just get back to the grindstone when you come home, but you will also have learned what you need to re-learn about eating on the road for your next trip!

THANKS ALL who wished me B-day greetings. That was very special!

nru1286 11-05-2010 11:09 AM

GameGal, happy belated Birthday! May you have many more to come, and enjoy every minute of them.

So, I'm out of commission on my walking regimen. I have a stress fracture in my left foot from....wait for it.....walking! See, I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet (or over-supinate, if you want to get technical), and since I have been increasing intensity, the combination has caused what is expected to be a stress fracture in my foot. Looking at the xray today, the doc told me that there was already some healing tissue on the outside bone (5th metatarsal), but there is an expected one of the 2nd one in from there. So after that appt, I got fitted for a walking boot (or DAS BOOT, as my mom and I call it. :p), and then had an MRI (my first one ever). Kind of blah about the fact that I had to take a sick day today, but it was sort of worth it, as I got in a nice nap in the afternoon.

So, needless to say, my lunchtime vigorous walks are not going to happen for a while now. I'm still going to work on some chair exercises, and take short walks at lunch, and depending on how I'm feeling, I also may go on the "Race for the Cure" walk supporting research for brain tumors in support of my friend this coming Sunday morning; I told her that I couldn't make it, even though I signed up, but I think it would be nice to surprise her.

Regardless of this, I have lost a few pounds over the past week, which is very encouraging. NOTHING WILL GET ME DOWN! THERE'S NO STOPPING ME!!!! :D

heather.72 11-05-2010 01:14 PM

carrenross

you are quite welcome! I know the protein smoothie is a life saver for me (quick, healthly, filling, and the only way I would even come close to enough protein every day). And if I had to use a full size blender, pour it in a travel mug and then clean the big blender... yeah well... it wouldn't happen lol. I actually ended up going back and buying a second one so when I forget the mug at work, I have another one at home.

GameGal.. I don't know about the McDonalds smoothies as I have never had one. I have read that they are LOADED with calories though. I use 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt in mine. The frozen fruit (guessing here) makes it thick and creamy and ...well.. smooth lol. Sometimes they are so thick that they almost don't come out of the mug.

There are lots of recipies on here (search 'protein' under foods I think) for different ones. I really like blackberries or raspberries.. they are yummy and make a pretty color drink. BUT they do have seeds in them so you have to be ok with that in the drink. Strawberries are good too and no seeds.

Anyways, hope you get as much use out of yours as i do mine!

Heather

GameGal 11-05-2010 04:10 PM

I also found this one on a site I frequently buy clothes and stuff from so its a real site lol... it looks kinda like the Osterizer cup but motor is included with this one for about $20.

Plus Size Shake 'N Take Personal Smoothie Maker? at OneStopPlus.com

WeightlossBoo 11-06-2010 12:26 AM

Weight and fortnightly measurements.

Down another 1.5lbs this week. It's not amazing, but it's not a gain so woo-hoo!
Only managed 2.5lbs in two weeks, but I'm still losing inches. :)

Measurements;
Bust; 46.25, 45.5 (-1.25)
Waist; 40.25, 40.25 (0)
Natural Waist; 39.5, 38.5 (-1)
Love Handles; 47, 46 (-1)
Hips; 43.75, 43 (-0.75)
Left Arm; 15, 14.5 (-0.5)
Right Arm; 14.5, 14 (-0.5)
Both Lower Arms; 10.5, 10.5 (0)
Left Thigh; 27, 26 (-1)
Right Thigh; 27.25, 25.75 (-1.5)
Left Calf;18, 17.5 (-0.5)
Right Calf; 17.75, 17.25 (-0.5)
Neck; 14, 13.5 (-0.5)
Another 9 inches I hope to never see again!

nru1286 11-07-2010 10:46 AM

Fiber Snacks and other good things...

Hey all! Hope you're all well, and hope your weekend has been a fulfilling one.

So, since Wednesday I'm down another 4 pounds. For a while I was losing at a slow rate or maintaining, and it was bothering me. I don't know if it was because I was eating too few calories or if I was just at my first mini plateau, but I'm back up again. I know it will eventually slow down, and now that I've seen it slow down a bit, and I have seen myself jump back, I know I will be ready for it, I will eventually work through it, and that I will not get discouraged over it. This makes me happy.

And now onto the fiber. I used to love Fiber One bars as a quick snack. I would have them daily, sometimes 2 a day depending on where I was and how hungry I was. At one point I had Curves bars as well, and they were as good, if not better, but less fiber. Now I've recently tried Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars, and I have to say, they are my favorite by far. They are sooo tasty, and give me my fixing for chocolate, which is something that I have missed for a while now.

Does anyone else here really like fiber bars/snacks? Are there any other bars/snacks that you really like with any positive nutritional value? Let me know!

almeeker 11-07-2010 03:53 PM

My favorite high fiber snack is apples.

carrenross 11-07-2010 11:59 PM

Smoothies are happening!

I know, such an '80s expression! So, like I said before - I picked up a travel mug blender for smoothies and wouldn't you know it - it just p*sses me off! (just kidding) Why? Well, everytime I go to use it - my husband has used it! LOL Yep, we have another convert folks. At least he rinses it out after he uses it. Draw back is - the frozen fruit dwindles faster. At least he is getting something healthy - versus his mega amounts of soda. Thanks again heather.72

I am still struggling and just need to kick my butt into gear and get on with it. Need to set a new goal because since I met my last goal - I think I have made it! So, maybe making short-term goals is not good (for me) and need to make it a larger goal/more weight loss one. I will ponder that today.

Have a great day everyone.

changeisgood29 11-08-2010 11:01 AM

Hey Carren, you haven't given up, right? My bet is that you're not giving yourself enough credit for just how much it counts not to give up. I read on someone's signature, "Fall down 9 times - stand up 10 times." The only thing that will make you fail is if you quit. So, I'm glad that you're still here and still pushing, even and especially if it's not so fun or if you're feeling less than motivated. I'm pretty much with you on focusing more on the end result as opposed to mini-goals on the way. Getting under 200 will be such a big deal for me, so creating that mini-goal was an easy one, since it's a big milestone and easy enough to fixate on "under 200" and not, say, my goal weight, but once I cross that bridge, I'm not sure if I'll go for another mini-goal or not.

On that note, I have to say that I've been feeling pretty 'blah' about the whole exercise affair, lol. I *have* been exercising, it's just been very difficult to get up and going these days. I started the C25K awhile ago and really liked it, and was pushing really hard for a couple weeks to bust through a month-long plateau, and then I just burned out and didn't exercise for the next two weeks. O_o Thankfully this is week 3 of being back on the "move yer a$$" program, but it's tough for me to find balance, especially since my personality is one of extremes - all or nothing, hardcore or, er, "no-core." But I know that's not an effective means (for me) of maintaining an exercise program. So now I walk for 40min on the treadmill and do good ol' Jillian's Shred, but it's just been tough to keep motivated about it. I don't know why. I'd like to pick up C25K again, but I'm afraid that I'll just end up feeling burnt out and saying "screw it" again. :( Just rambling here, I know there's no way to make me love exercise - I don't suppose I ever will. But in good news, it would seem I'm back to losing weight - my body does not let any chub-chub go unless I exercise, so I use that as motivation #1.

Hope everyone's Monday was as good as it can be!

nru1286 11-08-2010 02:43 PM

Touche, almeeker.

I really love my apple/banana/pear a day. And my raspberries.

But I've been craving for chocolate recently, and this gives me a fix where I don't feel quite as guilty. So I guess it's not so much for the fiber that I like it, just to satiate my sweet tooth when fruit just doesn't do it for me.

[email protected] 11-09-2010 01:40 AM

Love the fiber one bars! The dark chocolate almond one is my fave! I only let myself have 1 or 2 a week though!

Hey all - in regards to the protein shakes - I love them, but find they are giving me headaches. I can have one a week, but if I have it 2 or more days in a row I end up with a massive headache for 2 days. Ever heard of that? :confused: