FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Would anyone like to join me on an 8 week program? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1508-would-anyone-like-join-me-8-week-program.html)

jemmott01 07-11-2010 04:23 AM

Would anyone like to join me on an 8 week program?

I saw on here that some users are posting weigh ins weekly. Id like to do the same since I am having trouble being accountable to just myself. I will be starting a weigh in for tomorrow (July 12) with Monday posts. Anyone want to join me on this 8 week journey to be better to my body? Or is there another group already beginning that someone can direct me to?

In good health- Jem

jennygoodman 07-11-2010 05:20 AM

Well, I'll weigh in with you on Mondays...but I'm not sure how motivational I will be, since I clearly can't keep MYSELF motivated let alone anybody else! lol :P

jemmott01 07-11-2010 05:31 AM

Lets do it Jenny. What is your current diet/exercise routine? What challenges are you having?

Today I started walking :rolleyes: I would like to move onto running since cardio will burn fat but Im not very athletic anymore. I am a 2 meal/day kinda person so my goals are to snack more healthily throughout the day as opposed to bigger meals. The problem is my husband has super high metabolism and eats big meals AND snacks. Another struggle is I like alcohol a lot. I will have to try to limit my drinking to one night/week.

What has your experience been like?

jennygoodman 07-11-2010 05:35 AM

Oh gosh, where do I start?

Umm, I guess mainly my problem is lack of motivation/willpower. I don't mind exercising, but I kind of half-@ss it most of the time. I can't say that I'm ever like "Woo yeah, let's work out!" you know?

My hubby is the same way...skinny as a rail, eats whatever he wants and manages to lose weight (even though he doesn't need or mean to). He weighs 120 pounds, and I weigh 170 (although you wouldn't tell by looking at me - I'm pretty muscular).

All in all, I just really need to TRY harder. I do eat well, and I manage to maintain my weight, but I don't work out enough to get rid of any.

So for now, my goal is to spend more time exercising!!

jemmott01 07-11-2010 05:49 AM

So how do you keep yourself muscular if you are half assing your workouts? Im impressed with that. I have genetics working against me. All the women in my family BLOW UP by ~100 lbs when they reach my age. What kind of workouts are you doing? I did a few calisthenics but I dont feel much resistance with these. I like to SWEAT when I work out and thats tough to do if I am just working out at home. So if you have any tips Id love to hear them.

I walked 20 min today, tomorrow I would like to do 20 min walking and 5 min of jogging.

I guess we could do our weigh in today since we are both online.

I weigh 145lbs today :eek:
My goals for this week are to lose up to 4 lbs, intake less calories, finish a painting, do at least 25 minutes of exercise daily, make my bed everyday and drink ONLY vodka, if any alcohol.

Now your turn. I am hoping other people will join us :o

jennygoodman 07-11-2010 05:57 AM

I've always just had the "athletic" body type. Throughout my life, I have always weighed qutie a bit more than I look. If you asked anybody right now, they'd think I weigh around 145. I guess I just carry my weight well?

Anywho...

My goal for this week is to work out at least 4 days (I usually do 35-40 minutes on elliptical) and to actually work HARD at it instead of just moseying along! Also, I hope to get in at least 2 sessions of weight training. I'm setting my goal low at 2 pounds for this week, so as not to be disappointed if I should fail lol :)

jemmott01 07-11-2010 06:00 AM

Right on. Lets meet back here in a week with the results. Best of luck!

Michellebelle_05 07-11-2010 10:10 AM

I'll join with you. I'm at 189.5 right now.

Oh and are we going to weigh in starting tomorrow or NEXT monday?

[email protected] 07-11-2010 11:33 AM

Count me in

Hey, I'd love to join the fun.... Ok so it's not fun, but I along with everyone else needs help staying on track.
Accountability is a good thing!?!
I'm having the same argument withdrinking. Love my wine but sticking to vodka.
I started at 145 4 weeks ago and I've made it to 133 as of this morning. My goal is 115. The same as I was when I quit smoking after 25 years. Don't miss the smoking at all but hate the lbs around my middle and thighs!
I walk 1.5 miles every morning with the dog and I really want to get to the point where I'm running more than walking. baby steps.
I'm 5'4" and 50 years old so I'd really like to shed this before menopause sets in.
Talk at ya all in the AM. Beth W.

vbrazier 07-11-2010 11:45 AM

Hey Guys,

I just started using this site yesterday! I made a profile awhile ago but never actually ended up using it. I'm 4'11" and weigh 118lbs (the higher side of my healthy bmi) and I'd like to get down to 98lbs. According to this site 94lbs is the lowest I should weigh to still be healthy.

It sounds like we're all looking to lose around the same ball park of weight, 20ish lbs? I'd love to join you on your 8 week challenge. I just joined this site yesterday. In just two days it's already really opened my eyes seeing what I'm eating and how much it needs improvement. I've never really been big the most I've weighed it 133lbs so I never considered myself to have a poor diet. But, after reading the analysis of what I've been consuming in just two days it's really SHOCKING to see what I'm putting into my body. I started walking/jogging yesterday and today. I go about 40mins. I don't have any weight training planned, but I probably should considering I really would love to have a nice flat stomach and lean arms! Let me know if you have any suggestions of what to do? I don't want to join the gym. I've done it a million times and it ends up being a waist of money for me because I never follow through with it and it does not keep me interested.

Current: 118lbs
Goal: 98lbs
Start Date: 7/10/10 - Week 1
Weight lost: 0lbs

jemmott01 07-11-2010 12:19 PM

Hi Ladies. Thanks for joining! Lets keep each other motivated to meet our goals. I decided to just compile our current weights since everyone had responded with them. Let's post our updated weights every monday.

Week 1
jennygoodman @ 170lbs
Michellebelle_05 @ 189.5lbs
[email protected] @ 133lbs
vbrazier @ 118lbs
jemmott01 @ 145 lbs

Did anyone else want to share their week's goals? Or their workout routine? (Beth, are you ONLY walking?) What's everyone's average caloric intake? I ate only 1000 calories today :D Thats not a lot, right? lol. Sure didnt feel like it.

Enjoy your week!

[email protected] 07-11-2010 12:57 PM

Boy do I hear ya on the Gym thing. I don't even want to think about how much money I've wasted in the last 10 years on memberships and equipment!
Those things are great for those who are disciplined enought to use them for something other than a clothes rack!
Right now I'm only walking. here is where a gym would come in handy.
I live in the east valley of phoenix, az and today it's "only" 111 degrees. So the dog and I are out the door at 5am cuz thats the only time it's cool enough to go. The low tonite will be 87degrees. "but it's a DRY heat!!" LOL
I need to find my hand weights and start using those also.
Oh, FYI, I own 2 Bar/restaurants so I have to be there by 6:30am and then try to avoid all the sales people with samples!!! (tues is wine sample day, Oh my!!)
But thanks for the feedback. Oh, Keeping my calories between 600 and 900 per day.

almeeker 07-11-2010 02:05 PM

I think we're on like week 6 or so on another thread I joined a while back. I would like to join this one too, since it's just starting they will only lap a few weeks, and that one weighs in on Friday. I'm hoping a Monday weigh-in will help keep me in check over the weekend. Yesterday morning I weighed 157, but I did not weigh myself this morning (I had beer last night, so I really just didn't want to know). My goal weight is 120, so this week I would like to lose 3 pounds.

My goals for the week are:

1. 5 hours of cardio (either on the elliptical or aerobics DVD)
2. 3 miles of running
2. 2 hours of weight training (cause I paid for that dang membership)
3. 10 hours gardening
4. Keep calories to 1,600 or less everyday
5. Drink 96 ounces of water (or more) each day
6. Clean this messy messy house while wearing ankle weights

g_j_b 07-11-2010 03:01 PM

I'll join too! I weigh 139 pounds and want to weigh 117 by September 29 which is my first wedding anniversary and also Spring time where I'm from (Australia) so a good time to look fit. In this 8 week program I'll hope to get to 121 pounds. I restrict by 978 calories a day. My goal this week is to get back into my old routine of going to the gym daily. I cut back a bit due to getting the flu.

bebe16 07-11-2010 04:57 PM

Count me in

Hi everyone,

I'd also like to be accountable to someone. I weigh 140 and I would like to lose 15 pounds while gaining muscle mass and definition. I was hoping for an 8 week plan. This is the first time I have tried to seriously lose weight; the calorie counting is a real eye opener to how easy it is to consume way over the healthy limit.

I just joined a gym and my goal is to go everyday and take a class, alternating between cardio and weightlifting. It seems the only way I will put effort into a workout is if I am too embarrassed to be the only one out of sync in the group. I also am hoping to develop a new relationship with food: don't turn to food for comfort, only eat when I am hungry, crave healthy foods, etc.

I try to keep my calories between 1500-1200 each day, but truthfully this doesn't usually work out. I find that one day I can make it and the next day I will binge; I seem to go nuts without sugary candy. I am trying to replace this habit with sugar-free hard candies.

almeeker 07-11-2010 10:41 PM

Week 1
jennygoodman @ 170lbs
vbrazier @ 118lbs
jemmott01 @ 145 lbs
almeeker @ 159.2

KristynBond 07-12-2010 01:42 AM

Hi guys! I'd like to join too if that's okay.
I got back on track last week after 2 1/2 weeks of pure sabotage. Luckily I didn't do as much damage to my weight as I'd thought. I'm still a half pound above where I was before those 2 weeks, but at least it's not 5!

jennygoodman @ 170lbs
vbrazier @ 118lbs
jemmott01 @ 145 lbs
almeeker @ 159.2
KristynBond @ 175.5

KristynBond 07-12-2010 01:47 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to state my goals.
I started this journey with 79 pounds to lose. So far I've lost 39 (okay...38.5). I wanted to be at 135 by October, but it looks like that's not going to happen. So I'm hoping by December to be at my goal weight. Currently I go to step aerobics and zumba classes. I try to go 4 times a week, but sometimes I only get there 2 or 3 times. My biggest struggle is willpower. I LOVE fattening foods. Things like ice cream and pizza I could eat in VERY large quantities every day. I'm definitely a food addict, and will keep eating even when not hungry. I've been pretty good about this during the week, but weekends are still difficult. Right now I'm reading a book on doing a diet detox to rid my body of toxins. I'm hoping to commit to some sort of detox diet/cleanse for at least a few days (a few weeks would be better, but I'm trying to be realistic).
I'm looking forward to this weekly weigh in so that I can have other people to share with and hold me accountable.
Good luck everyone!

jemmott01 07-12-2010 02:13 AM

Excellent, more people! Here is where we stand. I think Ive got everyone here...

Week 1
jennygoodman @ 170lbs
vbrazier @ 118lbs
jemmott01 @ 145 lbs
almeeker @ 159.2
KristynBond @ 175.5
bebe16 @ 140lbs
g_j_b @ 139lbs

Can anyone recommend a good aerobic workout video online or youtube? I have no exercise equipment. I think I have an exercise ball somewhere but thats TBD.

Hey Beth, I JUST moved from Phoenix 2 weeks ago up to NH. What restaurants do you own?? We could have been workout buddies :D

[email protected] 07-12-2010 02:39 AM

Week 1

Well, damn!! Too bad I missed you!! I'm surrounded by people all the time but it's really hard to find an actual friend that you have things in common with and actually like for more than 10 minutes at a time!! Oh well, we'll just have to be long distiance Buds! You did move to a beautiful area tho for this time of year!! My restaurant in Az is in Apache Junction. We have a bar in La Crosse Wi. My husband travels back and forth twice a month.

So on to the new week!! This morning I weighed in at 132.6.! Kinda like being 5 and a half again. I'll take whatever reduction I can!!
This week I hope to lose another 3 lbs. My hubby leaves for Wi. on Wed and he'll be gone for 8 days this trip. Makes it Much easier to stay on track if I don't have to cook for him. I plan to start injecting running spurts into my walks and dig out my ankle and wrist weights.

Good luck and welcome to everyone and those who just joined us. If any one would care to email me directly that would be fine. ( it's my login)
Beth W

Starting weight 145
Current 132.6
Goal 115
Height 5'4"
Age 50

[email protected] 07-12-2010 07:29 AM

Ya'll are probably gonna get sick of my posting but evrytime I find myself staring at the fridge I go to my computer instead.
Trying something different. I found 250mg pure hoodia drops at Sprouts. Supposed to be a great appetite supressant. I'll let ya all know.

KristynBond 07-12-2010 07:41 AM

jemmott01, what part of NH do you live in? That's where I live too...

[email protected] 07-12-2010 01:25 PM

time zone

Anyone know what time zone this thread is in? I posted earlier this afternoon about2 pacific time and it says I posted last nite at 7:29. ???? very confusing

almeeker 07-13-2010 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by jemmott01 (Post 15613)
Can anyone recommend a good aerobic workout video online or youtube? I have no exercise equipment. I think I have an exercise ball somewhere but thats TBD.

The 30-Day Shred is like $8 at WM.

jemmott01 07-13-2010 04:01 AM

Hey Kristyn- I live in Allenstown, which is just North of Hooksett. How about you?

Beth that is an awesome technique, hopping on here to curb your cravings ;) I'll have to do that. I did find that canned green beans only have 20 cal/serving so I need to start keeping a few cans around for when Im hungry. Does anyone else have any low cal snacks to suggest?

I ran/walked for 30 min yesterday. Oh yeah! My calves are killing me. Tonight is our weekly meetup at a bar. Does anyone know which beer has the least amount of calories? I prefer Stella and it seems pretty light. Pints are only $2!

KristynBond 07-13-2010 04:05 AM

I live in Dunbarton, but grew up in Manchester. We're actually pretty close to each other!

[email protected] 07-13-2010 06:17 AM

Boy, I really fell of the wagon yesterday. Not with alcohol but with cake. It was only a 2x2 inch piece but I'm sure it had at least a gazillion calories. Yes,I know, I have a tendency to exaggerate. God was it good!! I have to keep reminding myself that it can't always be denying myself. Thats a recipe for disaster all by itself!! :eek: I still only had about 1500 cal yesterday but it's still about 2x what I need to stay on track.
However, today is a new day and I was able to do some short sprints in my walking this morning so I feel good about that!
113 outside today so I think I'll be IN!! Tomorrow 115. Gee Jemmott01, Don't ya miss it!! Lol!!!

jennygoodman 07-13-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 15725)
I still only had about 1500 cal yesterday but it's still about 2x what I need to stay on track.

I hope that's a joke!!! Unless you weigh 75 pounds, which I don't think you do, you probably are right on target for your caloric needs. If you cut your calories too low, your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose any weight at all! Eat sensibly and keep your calories at a reasonable level, and you will lose weight the right way!!! :)

[email protected] 07-13-2010 09:59 AM

Hi Jenny'
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that, I just get angry at my self for wasting calories on something needless. I am a very goal oriented type A (Capricorn) and a control freak! I know I need to not be so judgmental of my self but it's hard to let go. I am getting better tho!! I hope.....
Anyway, thanks for the redirect and advise about the starvation mode. I had forgotten about that part.

Take Care Beth :)

almeeker 07-13-2010 11:52 AM

Gee, I had cake and pizza yesterday (youngest dd's B-day party) , totaled out at 1,900+ calories and don't feel the least bit derailed (compared to what it could have been, believe me 1,900 calories was a good end for the day). Of course I also put in 2 workouts and another one this morning so it's all good. Well hopefully it's good. Today I'm sticking to my 1,500 calories, and looking forward to a drop tomorrow or the next day.

mhibdon 07-13-2010 12:58 PM

Hey ladies! Is it too late to jump on the wagon with you guys?

I'm trying to drop weight while conditioning for both the crew team and the weightlifting team. I was boarding around 180 lbs (@ 5'6) Monday, though I'm trying not to freak out too too much since my goal is 145 by April 17th, 2011.

kodafitday 07-13-2010 01:15 PM

Hello I am new here as well. I also need help to be accountable,honest and motivated. Today I weigh 134 pounds. My goal weigt is 125 pounds. I cannot afford to buy new clothes and besides I will be 45 in two weeks. Ain't nothing worong with wanting to look good and healthy and save money. So count me in.

[email protected] 07-13-2010 01:43 PM

Never too late!!

Welcome newcomers! Congrats Almeeker on getting through a Bday party for under 2000 cal!! Well done!
And thanks again to Jemmott01 for starting this thread!!:)

jemmott01 07-14-2010 04:07 AM

This must have been a bad day for all of us. I had FOUR pints of beer (stella) @ 220 cal/each. Ugh. AND buffalo chicken tenders AND mussels. Damn you happy hour prices :mad: The mussels are surprisingly low in calories, but the sauce they were cooked in, which was beer and garlic, I couldnt even calculate the calories there. And my calves are so sore and tight I dont know if I can run today. I was doing so well. AND I am having guests up here for the next 2 days which means dining out and drinking. Must get some vodka....

Welcome kodafitday and mhibdon! We are all weighing in this Monday (I am dreading it) And as you can see, some of us are struggling.

almeeker, 1900 cal is really good for cake and pizza and celebrating. Thats probably about what I had last night, although fitday says I was ~1700.

Be careful in that heat, Beth. And no, I dont miss it one bit ;)

mhibdon 07-14-2010 04:30 AM

For all the ladies with parties coming up or past: I was recently introduced to the idea of zigzag dieting and I think that it's an awesome idea to keep your metabolism up! So if you do have a heavy night then just make sure to be "good" on your next few day, or to try something new at the gym! Plus if you've been good all week, then you get to have a couple of days where you can eat more than celery!

PS: I am full of hyperbole. ^_~

jemmott01 07-14-2010 04:53 AM

Thats def. the plan. Thanks for the suggestion, mhibdon.

stitchergirl 07-14-2010 07:21 AM

Can I join in last Monday I weighed 213 and I havn't been having a good week, maybe this will keep me in check.

[email protected] 07-14-2010 07:30 AM

The more the merrier!!

Welcome stitchergirl! The stars must be in the wrong alighnment this week cuz it's only noon here and I've managed to consume most of my days calories!! :(
I just dropped my hubby at the airport and while I enjoy a little alone time I still get lonely. I think that makes sense.
Anyway, gonna hunker down for the rest of the day and try not to do to much more damage!!
Hope everyone else is having a better day:)

koylefam 07-14-2010 07:54 AM

Hey I would love to join in... I started in February and am down 35 pounds.. I have about 15 to go and would love to melt that off in the next 8 weeks... I am sitting at 5'6" and 145 pounds.. I love to work out but with 3 kids 6 and under it is hard.. help me stick to it. I am shooting for 2 lbs a week... LET'S GO GIRLS!!!! WAHOOO
Starting weight 180 (2/1/2010)
Current weight:145
Mini-goal: 135 byAug 1st
Final goal:130 Sept 1st

mhibdon 07-16-2010 03:41 PM

Sorry ladies, I know that it's late Friday night, but I need some diet reassurance. I started that Zig-zag diet plan Wednesday, and it is ridiculous! I just don't understand how a body can consume 2,200 calories and still be able to lose weight! I'm struggling to fit more calories and protein into my diet! Do you lovely ladies have any suggestions?

Thank you guys so much for this thread! It's so nice to have a sounding board that isn't my significant other!