FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   *The No-Cheating* Pact (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/1598-%2A-no-cheating%2A-pact.html)

heytred 07-23-2010 08:49 PM

*The No-Cheating* Pact

Not entirely my idea, but...

From now, July 24th 2010, until September 24th 2010 I will not allow myself to cheat, binge, or use carb-loading as an excuse to over eat.

Today was supposed to be my "carb-up" day but I took it a little overboard. I feel like I set myself back a whole week after being so strict and happy about my diet. I don't even know what kept me eating, but I just kept going to the point of feeling sick. Something like that has never happened.

So here I am.
Day 1.

I will continue to post in here everyday and count the days that I go without cheating. I will be honest with myself to the absolute detail. I'm not going to log todays calories because I honestly couldn't even tell you what I ate or how much. But it's not going to happen again, and that's the pact I've made with myself.

Feel free to join in if you'd like. Even if I'm the only one using this thread I'll post in here every day and suggest others do the same if you think it will help.

collegefbfan8898 07-24-2010 01:16 AM

Heytred:
It sounds like a great idea. The only thing is if you are that strict, you might REALLY overdo it when/if you do cheat. One cheat meal a week or two ain't that bad. To be honest, I haven't cheated at all in about 2 weeks, really haven't felt the need/want to. It will come though. For me, it always does.

Tonight, I know we are having homemade pizza with homemade sauce with ingredients fresh from the garden.

I will join in also.

tandoorichicken 07-24-2010 04:52 AM

I'm so in. I feel like I sometimes overeat in general, since I have a tendency to chow down on whatever's in front of me. Sometimes I'll go to a restaurant with friends and I'll be the only one that finishes my entire meal (when it's clearly meant to be split/taken home). So, that can't happen anymore.

boaterpat 07-24-2010 06:38 AM

I have a similar problem----I watch what I eat and log my calories and activities daily.---However,once or twice a week we eat out with friends making it extremely hard to log the proper calories eaten.ex.how do you log foods like paella or rigatone bolognese? All these cheat meals stall the weight goal but I keep trying.

original weight---279 lbs 4/1/2010
present weight--241 7/24/2010

heytred 07-24-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 (Post 16651)
Heytred:
It sounds like a great idea. The only thing is if you are that strict, you might REALLY overdo it when/if you do cheat. One cheat meal a week or two ain't that bad. To be honest, I haven't cheated at all in about 2 weeks, really haven't felt the need/want to. It will come though. For me, it always does.

Tonight, I know we are having homemade pizza with homemade sauce with ingredients fresh from the garden.

I will join in also.

But I didn't allow myself to have a legitimate "cheat-day" or "cheat-meal" for 3 months and the idea didn't even tempt me. I had no problem whatsoever turning down fatty foods or unhealthy snacks, but as soon as I started telling myself on this day I'm going to eat so many carbs, or whatever, I went crazy.

My diet hasn't ever been what I would call perfect, I let myself have a snack every once in a while as long as it fits in my calories and macros, and I'll continue to do that. But I'm not gonna try and use something like a carb-up as an excuse to eat above maintenance until I'm done cutting off this last bit of bf.

collegefbfan8898 07-24-2010 02:32 PM

OK. I see what you are saying now. I had two pieces of homemade pizza tonight, but I am sure I did not go over my macros too much.

I have been the same. No need or want to cheat for the last two weeks (when I began the change).

I will join in and do the best I can.

heytred 07-24-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 (Post 16693)
OK. I see what you are saying now. I had two pieces of homemade pizza tonight, but I am sure I did not go over my macros too much.

I have been the same. No need or want to cheat for the last two weeks (when I began the change).

I will join in and do the best I can.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of homemade pizza.

When I was in Germany before I deployed I used to head to the commissary, pick up some ingredients, head back to the Barracks and cook up a low calorie, high protein, wheat crust, cheese and tuna pizza. The great thing about making your own food is that you can control exactly what goes into it.

Off-Topic, I haven't eaten a vegetable or fruit in 3 weeks and haven't had a shower in just as long. Feeling pretty gross all around. Not that you guys needed to know that. =]]

collegefbfan8898 07-25-2010 12:32 AM

The next time she makes the pizza, I hope she uses the whole wheat crust.

heytred 07-25-2010 12:52 AM

Day 2 complete. Didn't miss a beat today and met all my daily goals. =]]

I'm at least 8 1/2 hours ahead of most of you, so that's why my day is already over.

midwestj 07-25-2010 06:48 AM

Good job dude. And remember if you do happen to slip up just make it a small one, record it in your log and continue trucking on, its all about the big picture! Last night was the first time in my 18 days on fitday that I had some issues, because I had to go to a wedding. I had 2 drinks, and probably overate. I filled the plate with as many healthy choices as I could. When I got home I recorded it as best I could, I avoided any sweets and extra fat like gravy and the cream cheese apps. I had been stressing about that day coming because it was a forced slip-up so to speak, but now that its over I'm proud the way I controlled myself, and I really didn't slip up at all. Besides not having ideal food options I made the best of the situation and I'm almost certain this one meal is not gonna hold me back.

collegefbfan8898 07-25-2010 09:40 AM

August is a bad month for me as far as occasions go. Vacation next week, birthday parties, and a couple of anniversaries to attend. I swear I have just started this journey, and I will not be thrown off track this early.

heytred 07-25-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 16744)
Good job dude. And remember if you do happen to slip up just make it a small one, record it in your log and continue trucking on, its all about the big picture! Last night was the first time in my 18 days on fitday that I had some issues, because I had to go to a wedding. I had 2 drinks, and probably overate. I filled the plate with as many healthy choices as I could. When I got home I recorded it as best I could, I avoided any sweets and extra fat like gravy and the cream cheese apps. I had been stressing about that day coming because it was a forced slip-up so to speak, but now that its over I'm proud the way I controlled myself, and I really didn't slip up at all. Besides not having ideal food options I made the best of the situation and I'm almost certain this one meal is not gonna hold me back.

Nice! I definitely know how you feel, my options for "healthy" foods are extremely limited. It's literally a quest every day to gather bits and pieces of MREs to put together my meals for the day. But I'm doing good and I'm not gonna let that hold me back. Day 3 starts for me right now (it's 0442 right now) and I'm convinced today is gonna go perfect. I'm looking forward to my workout too after the rest day I had yesterday. Gonna break myself off. =]]

heytred 07-25-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 (Post 16752)
August is a bad month for me as far as occasions go. Vacation next week, birthday parties, and a couple of anniversaries to attend. I swear I have just started this journey, and I will not be thrown off track this early.

I say keep that mentality, I have to always tell myself this, but what do you want more? To be healthy and look great, or that piece of cake?

Make it known to the people around you/at the parties and anniversaries that you are making a lifestyle change and eating healthy. Maybe that'll help you keep honest when tempted by all the food when everyone knows you are eating healthier. That's always helped me. I would be afraid to eat a fatty cake or something because I didn't want anyone to call me out on it.

midwestj 07-25-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by heytred (Post 16758)
I say keep that mentality, I have to always tell myself this, but what do you want more? To be healthy and look great, or that piece of cake?

Make it known to the people around you/at the parties and anniversaries that you are making a lifestyle change and eating healthy. Maybe that'll help you keep honest when tempted by all the food when everyone knows you are eating healthier. That's always helped me. I would be afraid to eat a fatty cake or something because I didn't want anyone to call me out on it.

I agree completely. I have told many of my friends and my family about this quest I'm on. When everyone around you knows what you are trying to do they help you stay accountable, and provide support. Most people will really admire your discipline and determination. Its hard to do this alone!

135for35 07-25-2010 07:02 PM

I don't look at my cheat day as a "cheat day", I look at it more as a reward day for all the hard work I put in on my diet and exercise. In the grand scheme of your diet it's not going to hinder your progress and most likely will end up helping you to be successful.

You just have to discipline yourself enough so that you know it's just one day to reward yourself but the next day you're back to business.

whatever you decide to do I commend you and everyone here for sticking with their plan to reach their goals. Just please remember, if you do slip and cheat don't beat yourself up over it. It's only going to make you lose your motivation and your focus.

heytred 07-25-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 135for35 (Post 16784)
I don't look at my cheat day as a "cheat day", I look at it more as a reward day for all the hard work I put in on my diet and exercise. In the grand scheme of your diet it's not going to hinder your progress and most likely will end up helping you to be successful.

You just have to discipline yourself enough so that you know it's just one day to reward yourself but the next day you're back to business.

whatever you decide to do I commend you and everyone here for sticking with their plan to reach their goals. Just please remember, if you do slip and cheat don't beat yourself up over it.

See, it did quite the opposite for me. Sure I can treat myself here and there, but even then I want to stay within the confines of the diet I've set out for myself.

I'm glad I cheated. I'm thankful I took it way overboard. I had never done anything like it before and when I did I learned something very valuable about myself. Now, I'm 100x more motivated and determined to reach my goals. See my sig? By September 24th I WILL have accomplished what I set out to do. Instead of a few days ago, "I hope I can cut this fat."

135for35 07-25-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by heytred (Post 16785)
See, it did quite the opposite for me. Sure I can treat myself here and there, but even then I want to stay within the confines of the diet I've set out for myself.

I'm glad I cheated. I'm thankful I took it way overboard. I had never done anything like it before and when I did I learned something very valuable about myself. Now, I'm 100x more motivated and determined to reach my goals. See my sig? By September 24th I WILL have accomplished what I set out to do. Instead of a few days ago, "I hope I can cut this fat."

and that's all that really matters is what works for you. It all comes down to what a person needs to do put them in the right state of mind for long term success. I'm glad we've each found something that works for it.

heytred 07-25-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 135for35 (Post 16786)
and that's all that really matters is what works for you. It all comes down to what a person needs to do put them in the right state of mind for long term success. I'm glad we've each found something that works for it.

Exactly, and this thread is just here for me to stay motivated and honest. I'm surrounded by Soldiers who can eat whatever they want and maintain a relatively low bf% but I'm not that lucky. I don't have a support group around me, just a bunch of "friends" who give me a hard time, tell me dieting is for girls, and try to get me to cheat. It's okay though, because I have a higher PT score now than anyone in my Company. :P

So this thread will be my support, even if I'm the only one posting. Everyone is obviously free to use it for whatever means they see fit.

midwestj 07-26-2010 07:05 AM

Sometimes at a young age your peers can be enablers and not supporters. Many of them just don't get what you are going through and many of them have never had to deal with weight issues so they just don't understand the sacrifices you are making. I'm 23 years old and I have to basically avoid many of my friends, they drink too much, they eat horrible foods, but they stay at a healthy weight doing it, so to them I should be fine doing what they do. Just remember you're doing this for yourself, not for them.

I'm 23, its summer, and all my friends are drinking and going to the beach, I'm inside counting calories and going to the gym, and haven't touched a bottle in forever. I may be missing out on the summer fun, but to me I'm making changes in my life far more important than a day at the beach. I get lonely and I get down, but I just think about my goals and my progress and I feel good again.

For young people it can be more difficult to get a quality support group. You can't let that hold you back though you just have to be a little more bullheaded in your weight-loss mindset, never give in for anything or anyone. You are doing this for yourself and no one else, so what they think doesn't matter (unless they are there to help!) You know what your goals are and how to reach them, so don't let the outside distractions hold you back.

Heres a quote by the drinking fountain at my gym: "Life's obstacles would not be called hurdles if there was not a way to get past them."

midwestj 07-26-2010 07:21 AM

Just made my logs public, hopefully that can help me stay more accountable.

heytred 07-26-2010 11:56 AM

Day 3 complete, it was perfect. I got an amazing workout, and didn't have a hard time getting my hands on what I needed to eat. Looking forward to day 4.

midwestj 07-26-2010 03:35 PM

Hey I looked at your log and if you really only ate 1300 calories thats definitely not enough. This is probably what causes you to have those unwanted slip ups. I think you would probably lose more weight if you upped your calorie intake to at least 2000. When you don't get enough calories your body will hang on to anything you do get and it will likely hinder your weight loss. Eating more will also curb your hunger and can bring you longer periods of consistency with your eating plan.

I get about 2330 calories a day, all whole foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains, mixed nuts, low-fat cheese/milk and whey protein here and there. I have been losing weight and its been a breeze to stay on my eating plan, I rarely get hungry. Also the variety of foods I eat ensure that I'm getting all the RDA of vitamins/minerals from natural sources.

It looks like you are eating only protein, I think you need more variety. Also try to eat less of the pre-made meal options like protein bars/shakes, and try to eat more whole foods. Not having enough variety in your diet will mean not getting the vitamins/minerals you need, which makes it tough to build muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. Most multivitamins have low absorption rates, and you are much better off getting the goods from real food.

heytred 07-26-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 16904)
Hey I looked at your log and if you really only ate 1300 calories thats definitely not enough. This is probably what causes you to have those unwanted slip ups. I think you would probably lose more weight if you upped your calorie intake to at least 2000. When you don't get enough calories your body will hang on to anything you do get and it will likely hinder your weight loss. Eating more will also curb your hunger and can bring you longer periods of consistency with your eating plan.

I get about 2330 calories a day, all whole foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains, mixed nuts, low-fat cheese/milk and whey protein here and there. I have been losing weight and its been a breeze to stay on my eating plan, I rarely get hungry. Also the variety of foods I eat ensure that I'm getting all the RDA of vitamins/minerals from natural sources.

It looks like you are eating only protein, I think you need more variety. Also try to eat less of the pre-made meal options like protein bars/shakes, and try to eat more whole foods. Not having enough variety in your diet will mean not getting the vitamins/minerals you need, which makes it tough to build muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. Most multivitamins have low absorption rates, and you are much better off getting the goods from real food.

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan on a FOB with <60 people. The only reason I have internet access is because I provide Tactical Sat COMMS for Infantry and Special Forces. I'm literally one of 3 people who have internet or a phone here, I haven't even showered in 3 weeks. I have to use baby wipes if that gives you an idea of the kind of environment I live in. So my only food options are MREs (high calorie, highly processed foods) and every once in a while we get real good (i.e. this morning we had sausage and bacon!). I would prefer to have more whole foods, not necessarily grains or whole wheat because I'm on a high dietary fat/protein, low carb, almost ketogenic diet, but I would love some green veggies.

I don't live in a very stable environment. We take incoming fire and direct fire daily and sometimes eating a "meal" isn't practical because there is something that needs to be done, or I literally don't have the means to do it.

So while I really appreciate the advice, I'm literally doing the best that I can. I am making consistent fat loss ( I don't change my weight on my profile because I don't actually have a scale, I record changes with my calipers and tape measure) while maintaing, if not gaining, strength. I know my body very well and know when I'm getting enough to eat and when I'm not and at 1,400-1,600 calories I feel great.

*Note*

The unwanted slip up was a once in almost 4 months of cutting event. I never have urges because I'm almost always satiated.

heytred 07-26-2010 04:03 PM

Also if you are looking at my FoodLog for July 27th (which has me at 1,303 calories) it's an icomplete log. I've logged what I've eaten for breakfast and what I have planned for lunch, my small snacks, and my PWO but my dinner isn't included yet, because well... I don't know what I'll be able to have for dinner yet. So my daily intake for today will probably be closer to 1,650-1,700 calories by the time the day is over.

But I do appreciate the input and advice.

rpmcduff 07-27-2010 04:54 AM

heytred,
Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration. Your success with your limited food choices and especially the lack of fresh vegetables shows what can be accomplished when you really want it and are ready to quit using your circumstances as excuses.

Others here need to understand that you have already reached a point, fitness and bodyfat % wise, that many here envy. You are already at only 13% bodyfat and are trying to get rid of the last 3% to attain your goal. The fact that you have limited workout equipment and limited ability for cardio work makes your acheivments only more commendable.

collegefbfan8898 07-27-2010 10:00 AM

I have lost 8 pounds and I am going to try so hard to not go back. The bad part is we are going on vacation next week (bad thing part one) so we are trying to not buy a lot of groceries (bad thing part 2) that will stay at the house and go bad while we are away. So, the food choices around here are pretty limited right now.

Vacation is going to be tough, but trying is all I can do.

Thanks.

heytred 07-27-2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 (Post 16981)
I have lost 8 pounds and I am going to try so hard to not go back. The bad part is we are going on vacation next week (bad thing part one) so we are trying to not buy a lot of groceries (bad thing part 2) that will stay at the house and go bad while we are away. So, the food choices around here are pretty limited right now.

Vacation is going to be tough, but trying is all I can do.

Thanks.

Don't get discouraged man, you've made great progress so far. Don't let less than perfect conditions hinder your ability to get fit. Mind over matter.

Thanks for the kind words, you just gotta work with what you can. Luckily, I just got a break, I was given a slot on a convoy to another FOB where I'll stay for the next week. Still not the best place in the world, but they have real food and a real gym. God works wonders. =]]

Day 4 down.

heytred 07-30-2010 01:53 AM

Day 6 down, I haven't been able to access the internet for a few days because I'm at a new FOB. It's got great food (so easy to stay on the diet with an actual salad at lunch and dinner) and I got to take a shower for the first time in 3 weeks. I feel like a new man. Looking to the one week mark.

heytred 07-31-2010 01:53 AM

Another day down, it's so easy here to eat healthy... There are all kinds of cookies, cakes, pecan pie, Clif Bars, anything you could want but they don't even tempt me because I actually have good food to eat.

Had Turkey with Asparagus (that was actually steamed right!) a salad and some Soy Milk for dinner. Sooooo good! Even was able to grab and apple and some peanut butter to take to work for a snack. All in all, I'm in a great mood. Plus being able to run again is only making it better.

Haven't been to keen about updating my log as meticulously (actually at all) like I was before, I'm sure I'll start doing it again when I'm back to my normal FOB. I'm still hitting my calories and macros daily even if I'm not able to be 100% accurate with it. But I'm gonna enjoy this while I can. The Log is definitely helping.

One week of the Pact down, looking forward to the next.

midwestj 07-31-2010 04:27 PM

sounds like you're eating well, good to hear!

heytred 08-02-2010 04:04 AM

Sorry I didn't post up yesterday(apologizing to myself more than likely), that was the only beat I missed. Great day, great diet, great workout.

And today (August 2nd... I think) was even better. Had a great salad at dinner along with a giant pile of green beans, two small slices of watermelon, and a turkey cutlet. I'm so sore from a combination of my legs workout yesterday and my back + biceps today. Thank God tomorrow's a rest day, I'm gonna need it.

I noticed this is more turning into a No Cheating Log for me, but it's helping to keep me honest. Going back to the old FOB tomorrow and I'll start logging my calories meticulously to keep me on track. Gonna miss this great food. =[[

tandoorichicken 08-02-2010 08:32 AM

This weekend my girlfriend came to visit and we went out a lot... but I've been pretty good about not stuffing my face whether it was sushi, pork ramen, or burgers. And so, I've felt pretty secure about not turning into a lard lump. :)

heytred 08-11-2010 01:18 PM

I know I haven't posted in here in a while, a lot has been going on here, more than I'd like to get you guys in on. I've just been very, very busy. Haven't been to the gym in probably 7-8 days, but that's life out here. There was nothing I can do about it. Finally back to my FOB and in my environment and very happy about it. Back to logging all my food now that I can. =]]

midwestj 08-11-2010 01:30 PM

Welcome back the mens boards were kinda dead this last week.

heytred 08-11-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 18399)
Welcome back the mens boards were kinda dead this last week.

Thanks man, it's glad to be back in the "normal" swing of things. The last 5 days have been the craziest of my life. You'll know what I mean if you see anything about "Katu" on CNN. =/

But anyways, after reviewing my diets, food availability, goals, etc. I've decided to go full CKD for the next 6 weeks. Been doing it for two days so far and feeling great because of it. I've got a question though, I was wondering if Gatorade would a be good sourse of post-WO dextrose. From all of my reading I should be taking about 10g dextrose post-WO with my whey and was wondering if Gatorade will work. I'd love if someone could help me out.

midwestj 08-11-2010 03:06 PM

A gatorade and 1 scoop of protein powder is great post workout. Its actually a recommendation in a nutrition book I own about meal planning and food choices.

heytred 08-11-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 18407)
A gatorade and 1 scoop of protein powder is great post workout. Its actually a recommendation in a nutrition book I own about meal planning and food choices.

Well I'm on a no carb (well <50g daily) diet, with those carbs spread throught all my meals. Meaning I can't be getting 34g of carbs (like in a 20 oz. Gatorade) all at once. I'm most likely just going to take my protein shake with about 8 oz (14g carbs) of Gatorade.

heytred 08-12-2010 01:13 PM

Another day down. Yesterday was rough, kind of foggy because of getting back into Ketosis and felt really exhausted after 50 minutes low intensity cardio, I've never had that problem before. Today is gonna be a busy day, hopefully it will help it go by fast. Gotta huge depletion workout that I'm excited about but dreading at the same time. I'm gonna really try to enjoy my day of rest tomorrow. =]]

Not carbing up until next Friday, so the next 7 days are gonna be tough for sure. I'm in it for the long haul though. =]]

heytred 08-13-2010 03:36 PM

My depletion workout went great yesterday, I finished one full body circuit (8 lifts) in about 40 minutes, dropped weight by 50% and went for Round 2. Only hit about half the lifts before I knew it was time to quit. I reached exhaustion and started to get a tad bit light headed during my Bench Press so I went ahead and started my cardio. 20 minutes of medium intensity cardio and then I was good for the day.

Downed my 48g of protein, gulped my 43g of carbs and relaxed. Now Saturday morning and I'm beat! Feeling good though, got the sweet/metallic taste of Keto in my mouth for the last 2 days so I'm chipping away at that fat. =]]

Rest day today, 60 minutes cardio on Sunday, Legs + Abs on Monday, Upper Body Tuesday, 60 minutes cardio on Wendnesday/Thursday, followed by another depletion next Friday. I've got a big week ahead, hoping to keep going strong!

heytred 08-14-2010 03:17 PM

Still going strong, no cheating, and I haven't even been tempted. I'm feeling more satiated from a high fat diet to the point to where my goal was 2,000 calories for the day, but I didn't even want to eat anymore when I was at 1,561 for the day. It's a good feeling not having to starve yourself.

Still going through some of the struggles of getting into Keto, I'm positive my body is there, it just has to get used to it.

Cardio today, Legs + Abs on Monday. =]]